Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mofeta
Sep 25, 2007
This new biome owns bones. Perfect for tree houses and Mayan ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Figured I'd let people know I put out a small update to Painterly today. Added screenshots for all the new mobs the telethon update added, added a 'wavy' sand/snow/grass snow cover option based on wavy sand (so you can have christmas packs with sand that is snowcovered), and added an updated NES paintings file, along with this paintings file which features some awesome high-fiving megamen. Because that's how we roll, down at Painterly.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ZarquonHigardi posted:

God, I wish they would do this. It just feels so stupid to have to lay down a million torches on the ground just to keep mobs from spawning too close to your stuff (or close enough to where they can end up wandering too close). Even worse in something like, say... Tekkit/Technic where a single creeper explosion can really screw up things and cost you a LOT of resources.

At the very least, if they made creepers only spawn from special spawners/nests, I wouldn't feel the need to lay down so many torches since they are the only mob I'm trying to prevent from spawning near my bases.
That's a cool idea but what if players destroy every nest in existance? No more creepers? Maybe have nests spawn periodically? Maybe some activity spawns a creeper nest much like tree's encourage birds to nest in real life ... like running a furnace, the fire/smoke/whatever attracts a creeper nest or has a chance to.

I really like this idea, if they ever get the API finished I'll try to implement some alternate mob generation system.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
A new mob generation would be cool. The first "real" Minecraft effort I made was a castle on a floating island in the sky. The floating island I built was hollow. I think you can guess what happened.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

kas posted:

Figured I'd let people know I put out a small update to Painterly today. Added screenshots for all the new mobs the telethon update added, added a 'wavy' sand/snow/grass snow cover option based on wavy sand (so you can have christmas packs with sand that is snowcovered), and added an updated NES paintings file, along with this paintings file which features some awesome high-fiving megamen. Because that's how we roll, down at Painterly.

Oh man I love these :3:

Question, I'm getting close to done with my adventure map, and one of the last things I'll have to do is redo some textures in the texture pack that are specific to my map. How do I redo the textures so that the terrain.png works correctly? If I redo it, suddenly there's white boxes over everything, and things that should be invisible don't end up that way. How do I make it work right? Especially cause I don't want people to have to be forced to patch it or whatever to make it work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has there been any mention of Zombie Onslaught mode or CTF? These were planned modes, were they not?

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Oh man I love these :3:

Question, I'm getting close to done with my adventure map, and one of the last things I'll have to do is redo some textures in the texture pack that are specific to my map. How do I redo the textures so that the terrain.png works correctly? If I redo it, suddenly there's white boxes over everything, and things that should be invisible don't end up that way. How do I make it work right? Especially cause I don't want people to have to be forced to patch it or whatever to make it work.

Use paint.net or some other utility- I think photoshop was the other one people keep mentioning?- that allows you to keep transparency while editing the squares you want to. Don't use the default Windows Paint program though, that doesn't support transparency and you'll get the "white boxes" you're talking about!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It is loving stupid that Mojang came out with an actual 1.0 release and is now requiring everyone restart their maps because you can't get the new biome without it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BlueOccamy posted:

Use paint.net or some other utility- I think photoshop was the other one people keep mentioning?- that allows you to keep transparency while editing the squares you want to. Don't use the default Windows Paint program though, that doesn't support transparency and you'll get the "white boxes" you're talking about!

Doh! Of course just throw it in photoshop. Well now that that's sorted, it turns out my plan for invisible walls (and a few other things) isn't going to work :smith:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Couldn't you just use completely invisible glass to fence in your map? Of course, that might give other problems, but at least you can use glass panels for some things.

Edit: Or perhaps either glass or steel panels? You might be able to use those without getting those invisible patches.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Doh! Of course just throw it in photoshop. Well now that that's sorted, it turns out my plan for invisible walls (and a few other things) isn't going to work :smith:

Yeah, because of how Minecraft treats what it thinks you can and can't see, only blocks that can support transparency can be transparent without becoming holes in the world.

You could make ice fully transparent, but then your snow biomes' water is going to be a bit weird.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Macaluso posted:

What if you leave a gap between the ground and the wall? Players are two blocks high, so their torsos would whack into the invisible wall, but there wouldn't be those holes in the world and it's not like the person is going to realize that their legs aren't hitting anything solid :)

Also the invisible glass idea Boat suggested might work too.

Don't give up hope! Use the game engine, don't let it use you ;P

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Steel bars might work, they don't obscure the block beneath them and unlike Glass Panes and fences they don't share their texture with anything else.

Of course you could just leave a 1-block gap between the floor and the wall. The holes only appear where the textureless blocks touch the ground afterall.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm trying to discern the two play styles of both world types in Minecraft.

One, Survival is fun to scrabble the first few nights and avoiding monsters, but when you're set up, things become a bit tedious. I love looking at a big cave system that I have mined out, knowing that I have chipped away at it much like a felt tip pen colouring book or a jigsaw, but sometimes I think, I just want to get building!

So I played creative for the first time, but I felt it spoiled the game, having everything to hand with no consequence/reward. I can see it being cool, pretty much like lego but can't help but feel like a creative world would be a cheat world. But I look at a survival world, which could be the same in terms of end product, except I have wasted hours crafting stuff and achieving the same result.

I keep trying creative, but something turns me off about 10 minutes of play, but I'll go into survival and think, gently caress this.

Am I burnt out on Minecraft?!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There are other games to play. Try some of the many sale games on Steam, or any of the free flash games on various websites. I find taking a break and coming back refreshes my appreciation for the game (and most other things).

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

krushgroove posted:

There are other games to play. Try some of the many sale games on Steam, or any of the free flash games on various websites. I find taking a break and coming back refreshes my appreciation for the game (and most other things).

Oh I have, I haven't played since 0.8, I feel the MC itch, but either version of gameplay I just think, ugh.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think a big, ongoing project might be just the thing. Something that will take a month at least to build complete.

I've got a little server going, don't know much about admin on it (it runs MineOS Crux) and have just a couple friends from work on it, but to keep up the interest level I've sent them pictures of things we could build in the game, and videos that other people have made of their cities and cathedrals, etc. We're all busy with our own things and after the first couple of weeks we've moved on to other games (one is a heavy MMO player), so I'm also playing around with MCEdit finally to see how to bring in buildings I've built on other maps and on the first version of the server so we can link them up and eventually plop it all into the new jungle-enabled world when 1.2 is stable and ready to go.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Technic Pack (more specifically Buildcraft/Industrialcraft) may help to give more a "set up" period. Work towards building and designing a quarry then reap the benefits of autocollected materials for a pseudo-Creative mode.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Times posted:

If they're changing how monster AI works then they need to change how monster spawning works. Instead of just having them spawn 'in the dark' on 'dark patches' they need to have them spawn in specific areas for specific reasons. I.E. if there are skeletons spawning, there's probably a dungeon entrance around. If creepers are spawning, there's probably a 'creeper nest' around that you will need to deal with. And so on.

I like this idea, but only if destroying the "reason" each mob type spawns just lowers the chances of them spawning drastically and only light can keep them form spawning for good. But!

I think in conjunction with that, or even separate, we need the light level for "general spawning" lowered from the current light level 7-or-lower to perhaps light-level-5-or-lower. This would not only mean less need for torches to light stuff up,it also makes more sense. The current light level to spawn mobs works out to be almost double the brightness of in-game moonlight, lowering it to 5 would still mean moonlight alone was not enough but would greatly reduce the needed torch spamming to keep a large area safe.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

simosimo posted:

So I played creative for the first time, but I felt it spoiled the game, having everything to hand with no consequence/reward. I can see it being cool, pretty much like lego but can't help but feel like a creative world would be a cheat world. But I look at a survival world, which could be the same in terms of end product, except I have wasted hours crafting stuff and achieving the same result.

I keep trying creative, but something turns me off about 10 minutes of play, but I'll go into survival and think, gently caress this.

I feel the same way... whenever I play Minecraft I hit a point where I just think "argh, I'm just wasting my time." Minecraft would be the best game ever if it had some LittleBigPlanet user sharing implemented—make a world, push a button to upload it. Browse a list of other players worlds, sorted by category and rating.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I feel the major problem with Survival is that Minecraft has been around for a long time now without any additions to gameplay. I think the last major one was when the Nether got introduced in the Halloween update in 2010, which was a little over a year ago now.

The Nether introduced a whole new dimension, which you could only access through diamond-tier tools and/or sneaky use of buckets. It was a world unlike the overworld, dangerous from top to bottom, and it gave you a goal. Collect obsidian, build portal, go to Nether.

(Of course then we found out that the Nether was boring as gently caress and only worth going to for glowstone.)

Then, more recently, we got The End, which was somehow even more boring than the Nether and not worth going to at all - which is why I didn't count it as the last major update. It's really quite pointless.

The Nether got some snazzy new fortresses and a few more monsters (which still lack proper AI, however) to liven the place up, but there's still nothing to do there except grind for resources. Which puts it one above The End, where there's nothing to do but try and kill a lovely dragon with umpty-billion hit points.

The overworld has stayed relatively unchanged, too. You still cut down trees, mine stone, keep an eye out for one of the six ores hanging around, maybe grab some lava or obsidian. You can farm animals now, I guess, but that's about it.

When I go onto Minecraft, I know exactly what'll happen when I make a new world. I'll find a tree and punch it down. Then another, then another. I'll make a crafting bench and set up a little hut with a door. I'll mine stone if I have the time. Night will fall, then the sun will rise, and I'll continue getting stone and wood until I have a proper dwelling and then I'll hunt for iron, then diamond. I've done it so many times now that it's become almost muscle memory. It's the same pattern each time, over and over, with nothing else to try.

Open world games, and sandbox games too, temper the wide array of choices in what you can do by setting goals. In Skyrim and other such games, you can become the head of the thieves guild, or the archmage. In The Sims you have the very concrete aspirations of having your little dudes become rich and successful, so you can afford more pools to drown them in.

Minecraft has "go to Nether" and "go to End" as its only goals, and those goals don't even give you much in return. Well, The End definitely doesn't. But there's no incentive. You can quite easily plateau in the game. You set up a tree farm, a cobblestone generator, and pretty soon you're finding you really have nothing to do but just dick around.

I think Jens has a few ideas about what to do with the game to make it more appealing, but so far he's mainly been working within the confines of the existing game. New biomes, changes to hit boxes, introducing features promised back in 2009. He really needs to take a step back and figure out how to make Survival more like a game and less like Creative mode with restrictions.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 20, 2012

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Fuego Fish posted:

words words words

It completely boggles my mind that they are making $200,000+ every day off of minecraft, and have what, one dude working on it now? You could pay multiple professional coders/artists/sound guys/etc for a year with that money.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

But then it would lose its indie charm! :downs:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fuego Fish posted:

I feel the major problem with Survival is that Minecraft has been around for a long time now without any additions to gameplay. I think the last major one was when the Nether got introduced in the Halloween update in 2010, which was a little over a year ago now.

The Nether introduced a whole new dimension, which you could only access through diamond-tier tools and/or sneaky use of buckets. It was a world unlike the overworld, dangerous from top to bottom, and it gave you a goal. Collect obsidian, build portal, go to Nether.
The Nether's gotten a little more useful now that there's Netherwort, and the addition of Nether Fortresses has made it a bit more interesting too, but by and large it's almost as useless as The End.
Minus the beautifully-written, thought-provoking epilogue, of course.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vib Rib posted:

Oh come on, what about the End? :colbert:
And that came with a beautifully-written, thought-provoking epilogue, too.

He just explained why he didn't include The End. In fact, it's in the very next paragraph.

Unless your :colbert: was meant to suggest that it should go there anyway?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I got bored today at lunch.

Before:

Remove the redstone torch and...

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

simosimo posted:

I'm trying to discern the two play styles of both world types in Minecraft.

One, Survival is fun to scrabble the first few nights and avoiding monsters, but when you're set up, things become a bit tedious. I love looking at a big cave system that I have mined out, knowing that I have chipped away at it much like a felt tip pen colouring book or a jigsaw, but sometimes I think, I just want to get building!

I decided to snag TooManyItems. It's a nice halfway point. If you don't want to go look for enough clay to slowly bake into bricks, you can just get yourself as many bricks as you drat well want.

And if you don't want to scaffold your way up to the roof of your church to put up that solid gold cross, switch over to Creative for a minute, fly up, fly down, and switch off Creative. This is important, because if you're hovering a foot off the ground and switch off Creative, you will insta-gib upon contact with the ground.

Also, you can see what something looks like at night or in the rain just by clicking a button.

If that doesn't do it for you, yeah, you might be burnt out.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I think if a mod api is ever released, the game could take on a whole new life. The game play now just sucks. But I think it could be like the way Half-Life was where it's a decent game but even better as a base for mods.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gentwise posted:

It completely boggles my mind that they are making $200,000+ every day off of minecraft, and have what, one dude working on it now? You could pay multiple professional coders/artists/sound guys/etc for a year with that money.

Or they could pay one game designer to actually give them direction. So many of the flaws in Minecraft lie within them not knowing what to do with Survival mode. They have this vague pseudoconcept of what it "should be like", which is just "generic fantasy".

And the problem with generic fantasy is that it has next to no direction whatsoever. Swords, bows, magic potions, skeletons and zombies, giant spiders, slimes... there's very little there which has an actual identity. The creeper became the icon of Minecraft not so much because it's a cool monster, it's because it was pretty much the only unique one out of the original set.

Minecraft had a good chance to define a world of its own, like how the Mario series has established a solid look that is and always will be Mario: brick blocks, fluffy clouds with eyes, overly aggressive turtles. But instead it's just like a rather lacklustre imitation of someone else's imitation.

There's nothing really daring about Minecraft's setting. It is, ironically enough, incredibly uncreative. Not to mention that there's little in the way of actual discovery due to the complete absence of ingame instruction. You either stumble about in the dark, or go to a third-party website to find out all the recipes and potion brews. The former is hopelessly tedious, the latter reduces any mysteriousness that there may have been down to zero.

Vib Rib posted:

The Nether's gotten a little more useful now that there's Netherwort, and the addition of Nether Fortresses has made it a bit more interesting too, but by and large it's almost as useless as The End.
Minus the beautifully-written, thought-provoking epilogue, of course.

Nether-only materials that are more than just "this other block, but with a different texture" is a good start. But the Nether needs to have as much to do as the overworld does. I'm not saying add in nether-iron and nether-coal, that would be silly. But something that will get people to stay in the Nether, despite the hostile environment. Something to provide a challenge.

It really feels like, as I said above, they don't have much of an idea about the Nether, same as the overworld. It's this generic "hell" where everything is either fire-based or undead/creepy. It doesn't have its own identity.

Which is why I really, really like the Bee Hell options in Painterly. Turning it into this weird insect world of flowing honey and wax bricks makes it more unique, and more fun to explore. You've seen one burning hellscape, you've seen them all, but a hivescape? Now that is worth exploring.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

AlexDeGruven posted:

I got bored today at lunch.

Before:

Remove the redstone torch and...

TNT?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Senator Woofington posted:

TNT?

Yup. One in the center with a deactivated redstone torch below it. Remove the other torch, trigger the NOT to flip, and blammo. Winner winner (lots of) chicken dinner(s)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've been wanting more mob variety since forever, or at least some more factors in their spawning.

Graveyards for the zombies, abandoned ruins for the skeletons, weird nest like structures for the spiders and so on. Or maybe just a random variable thrown into the mob sizes. Once in a blue moon a giant spider might appear.

I have no idea what to do about the combat, though. People that play Minecraft as PvP makes my brain boggle.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Iacen posted:

I have no idea what to do about the combat, though. People that play Minecraft as PvP makes my brain boggle.

Especially because the game's lag compensation is so horrible that you can't really do anything other than kind of hope that your attacks hit, even with a five bar connection. It'd still be pretty braindead even if it worked though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Iacen posted:

I've been wanting more mob variety since forever, or at least some more factors in their spawning.

Graveyards for the zombies, abandoned ruins for the skeletons, weird nest like structures for the spiders and so on. Or maybe just a random variable thrown into the mob sizes. Once in a blue moon a giant spider might appear.

Giant zombies already exist in the game, I just wish they spawned naturally. They're fun enemies too because while (thankfully) they don't destroy any scenery besides reverting farmland to dirt, they will splat you dead if they step on you.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Iacen posted:

PvP in Minecraft is fun because it brings building into the whole thing. Knowing that the base you're raiding was actually constructed by the enemy team makes it a lot more satisfying than just if most of the game had been designed by the developers. Don't get me wrong, the actual combat is boring as heck and incredibly unbalanced (with enchantments, potions, and armor being the main problems).

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yup. One in the center with a deactivated redstone torch below it. Remove the other torch, trigger the NOT to flip, and blammo. Winner winner (lots of) chicken dinner(s)

Man, set this up with obsidian and you've got yourself a party going on.

I might try this, as I've already set up a chicken egg farmer on Insert Coin.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Schweinhund posted:

I think if a mod api is ever released, the game could take on a whole new life. The game play now just sucks. But I think it could be like the way Half-Life was where it's a decent game but even better as a base for mods.
I'd probably get back into modding, myself, too. The reason Syrup and I eventually stopped updating FancyPack and the others (and let fans pick up our slack) is that it just became a chore to wait for the MCP and ML update every time, dig through the classes for any new conflicts, and re-update, re-compile, re-upload every single mod or pack.
Fan-made mod TOOLS and infrastructure are important at this point. Not that long ago there was only room for 128 block types and a very limited set of texture space. But now mods have been able to expand the available block IDs and draw in extra texture sets. We still have hard limits (at least with our current tools) but maybe someday we'll finally break the ceiling and have no limits to the amount of new stuff we can cram in.

But hell, even something as minor as removing obfuscation and I'd get right back into fresh content. I have plenty of simple ideas I'd love to throw in, but just the thought of having to keep master files updated through every little patch kills my enthusiasm before it even gets off the ground.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Man, set this up with obsidian and you've got yourself a party going on.

I might try this, as I've already set up a chicken egg farmer on Insert Coin.

You should talk to Meta (EDIT: One of the admins on that server he mentioned), and ask him about his automated chicken death machine. Basically, you would have a chicken spawner, with some pre-loaded TNT and water sources. You would hit a button and the TNT would drop into the kill zone. But it would also release water at just the right time to flow over the spawners and grass, to prevent them being nuked when the TNT went off. Like a Swiss watch of poultry murder.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I just wish they could really get to a solid point in development where we know we won't be missing out on new features if we don't use a new map. or better yet make it so that new areas can be genned but the transition is actually smoothed. That would be so easy.

Basically you'd need to add one more data variable within a chunk's mcregion file but all it would have to be would be a version value. Then when a new chunk is genned it checks all the chunks that border it to see if there is a section where
code:
newChunk.version!=borderChunk.version
Then if it does that it generates the new chunk as it is now, and then runs a little algorithm that looks at the blocks on the border about 5 blocks in, in both the generated chunk and the border chunk, and averages the terrain over the 10 block span.

BOOM problem solved.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

10 blocks isn't enough, you could easily have a chasm next to a mountain.