Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Armor-Piercing posted:

Looking forward to your Hyperdimension Neptunia megathread.

I just want to note that there is a part of my brain that still thinks buying the sequel is a thing I should do. I think I like games that do something interesting but beyond that are absolute trainwrecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Looking forward to your Hyperdimension Neptunia megathread.

Funny and interesting concept, terrible game. You can be excused for buying the first one because it was so goddamn weird that buying seemed like it might turn out well.

If you buy the second one you're a horrible monster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Funny and interesting concept, terrible game. You can be excused for buying the first one because it was so goddamn weird that buying seemed like it might turn out well.

If you buy the second one you're a horrible monster.

I've heard multiple (Japanese) reports that the gameplay in 2 is massive improved from 1, and has almost nothing in common other than starring scantily clad girls who look like they're between nine and twelve years old. Like, people who hated the poo poo out of 1 but think 2 is totally decent.

I'm still not going to get it, as far as that kind of game goes I'm convinced that Ar Tonelico 2 is the only one worth overlooking the creepy stuff and actually playing the game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 20, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've heard multiple (Japanese) reports that the gameplay in 2 is massive improved from 1, and has almost nothing in common other than starring scantily clad girls who look like they're between nine and twelve years old. Like, people who hated the poo poo out of 1 but think 2 is totally decent.

Yeah, from what I've seen it looks like they added and active battle system where you actually control your characters so they assigning of movies to buttons is actually kind of sensible now. There were also a dew other interesting things in there like combined attacks that you had to setup properly and some means of talking with the subjects of your kingdoms.

gently caress...I'm going to end up getting this...aren't I? :(

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
So the battle system isn't "hold down the skip button because everyone's attacks take too long to fire and just mash the same combo over and over until you win" as much anymore?

Still not buying it because I played maybe 45mins of Neptunia before I couldn't keep dragging myself through it no matter how hard I tried.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Wait, are you saying the sequel to Neptunia is going to be an action-rpg instead of a trad-rpg (or I guess what !F's current interpretation of that system is)? :stare:

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461727

Binary Domain thread is up. I'll play it and review it when it comes out.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Emalde posted:

Wait, are you saying the sequel to Neptunia is going to be an action-rpg instead of a trad-rpg (or I guess what !F's current interpretation of that system is)? :stare:

We may never know because none of us are going to play it. :colbert:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Emalde posted:

From screenshots it looks to be a bastardization of the Tales system. I have to admit I'm firmly on the 'morbidly curious' train myself, but I've got enough coming in with Soulcalibur, FF13-2 and Tales of Graces on the way.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Soul Glo posted:

Is Resistance 3 tied into the plot of either of the first two games? I played them but didn't beat them, but running across the country in 3 sounds fun. Should I go back and finish the early ones, or is the latest more of a standalone?
The opening contains spoilers for the ending of Resistance 2, but otherwise the plot is pretty much standalone. I'd recommend renting it though as the multiplayer is supposedly dead now (and you can get the plat entirely offline if you're bothered about that).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Taratang posted:

I'd recommend renting it though as the multiplayer is supposedly dead now.

That's especially sad, considering that Resistance 2's multiplayer endured for ages, because it had dedicated servers and elements that differentiated it from Call of Duty clones, like 40-player matches.

But of course, the videogame industry is one great follow-the-leader circlejerk, so they dropped everything unique and noteworthy in favour of perk-farming, and now it's dead. Great.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Stelas posted:

From screenshots it looks to be a bastardization of the Tales system. I have to admit I'm firmly on the 'morbidly curious' train myself, but I've got enough coming in with Soulcalibur, FF13-2 and Tales of Graces on the way.

Oh God, why are you playing Final Fantasy 13-2? :gonk:

The best summary that made me stay right the hell away from FF13-2 is this: Fixes some minor problems but the major problems got worse.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

The best summary that made me stay right the hell away from FF13-2 is this: Fixes some minor problems but the major problems got worse.

Judging from the demo I'd say it's the opposite. They fixed a few of the major problems (game is no longer a hallway, character progression and customization actually look meaningful), and added a few new minor ones (lovely pointless QTEs).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Troffen posted:

Judging from the demo I'd say it's the opposite. They fixed a few of the major problems (game is no longer a hallway, character progression and customization actually look meaningful), and added a few new minor ones (lovely pointless QTEs).
They backed the hallway-like feel of the game only to FFXII levels... which is to say, everything still feels like a hackneyed hallway barely masked. The combat is still horrid and automatic, only made worse by the QTEs.

I don't know, maybe the demo somehow showed off the absolute worst side of the game, but all it did for me was make me happy I never got FFXIII and even happier that I didn't follow the hype and buy FFXIII-2.

... and for pete's sake, if there was ever a series that needed a re-invention, it's FF. If Dante can reset to just "Devil May Cry" after 4 games, can't we reset Final Fantasy after freaking 13-2?

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I really enjoyed the combat. Once you got the rhythm of it down, there was some beauty to that system. Wouldn't necessarily call it a bad part of the game, maybe a debatable part of it, but certainly not horrid!

Edit: I should add that I'm not defending any of the rest of the game or implying that I'm even giving XIII-II even a moment's glance.

Urban Achiever fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 20, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shalinor posted:

They backed the hallway-like feel of the game only to FFXII levels... which is to say, everything still feels like a hackneyed hallway barely masked. The combat is still horrid and automatic, only made worse by the QTEs.

I don't know, maybe the demo somehow showed off the absolute worst side of the game, but all it did for me was make me happy I never got FFXIII and even happier that I didn't follow the hype and buy FFXIII-2.

... and for pete's sake, if there was ever a series that needed a re-invention, it's FF. If Dante can reset to just "Devil May Cry" after 4 games, can't we reset Final Fantasy after freaking 13-2?

Finally someone else that agree's with me. I can't believe the number of apologists that FF13-2 has. The game is seriously awful, and I just don't see where people are getting the idea that it's any different from FF13, it's not at all.

The combat just has this really awful disconnected feeling to it, like I am just watching a cutscene over and over again, instead of actually being the one that is playing it.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yep I guess I'm insane or something since I really liked the combat in 13. The autobattle thing really didn't bother me and the strategy of managing paradigms was a lot of fun when I got into the swing of things.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Finally someone else that agree's with me. I can't believe the number of apologists that FF13-2 has. The game is seriously awful, and I just don't see where people are getting the idea that it's any different from FF13, it's not at all.

The combat just has this really awful disconnected feeling to it, like I am just watching a cutscene over and over again, instead of actually being the one that is playing it.
I mean no offense by this, but. I feel like the contingent of people that get and love the FF games at this point are massive JRPG fans a/o FF fans, that really aren't there for the combat in the first place. Modern JRPGs amount to setting the controller down and watching story cutscenes anyways, so, streamlining the combat would make sense as a means of furthering that gameplay sensibility. They're less about strong moment to moment gameplay, and more about telling the epic visual story of a frumpy-haired protagonist's ride to godhood.

... and then you have us, the fans of FF only up through 10 or so, just kind of sitting back, confused, wondering what happened to the gameplay/exploration part of JRPGs :sigh:

EDIT: VV I really enjoyed FF8. I liked the junctioning system, the plot was really cool (the whole battling schools thing made for a pretty unique world), the combat was fun, etc. By comparison, I didn't like 9 much at all, but then loved 10.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 20, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of Final Fantasy I'm still playing through 8 and it's a pretty good game :shobon:

I've been playing it for months, it's kind of my "okay I'm done playing SR3/Fallout/whatever for the night gonna wind down with something else before I go to bed" game. I never realized before that I never beat it, because I'm at parts now I've never been at Rinoa is in her coma, we just got to the Salt Lake place.

The technical jump between FF7 and FF8 still blows my mind. Fully textured, higher poly models [well still relatively low poly, but better than FF7 and good for the PSX], better FMV integration, the works. The only thing I don't really care for is the draw system, only because I really like the old school MP usage / leveling-to-get-new-spells mechanic.

[FF8chat totally counts for this thread because I bought it off the PSN and am playing it on a PS3, drat it]

Oh and also, now that I'm done with SR3 I've picked up Just Cause 2 again. I put it away after someone jokingly said it killed their PS3 a long time ago, I got all nervous and shelved it. :P Good god drat this is a beautiful game. I've spent way too much time just loving around, I finally forced myself to do an actual story-progression mission last night for the first time in like a week.

e. and count me as a massive, massive JRPG fan who doesn't really care for FFXIII at all because of the fighting system and linearity, which is a shame because it's a beautiful looking game and like you hinted at I'm kind of a sucker for JRPG plots and I kind of wanted to see that one play out. Ugh I might pick it up again when I clear everything else off my backlog.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Shalinor posted:

I mean no offense by this, but. I feel like the contingent of people that get and love the FF games at this point are massive JRPG fans a/o FF fans, that really aren't there for the combat in the first place. Modern JRPGs amount to setting the controller down and watching story cutscenes anyways, so, streamlining the combat would make sense as a means of furthering that gameplay sensibility. They're less about strong moment to moment gameplay, and more about telling the epic visual story of a frumpy-haired protagonist's ride to godhood.

I must be crazy then since I play modern JRPGs for the combat. The turn-based/ATB style of the older FFs is great fun but I really like the complicated, out-there stuff they've been coming up with for games like Resonance of Fate, Ar Tonelico 2, etc. "Complicated" isn't really the right word for 13's combat but it was unique enough to keep me relatively entertained throughout the godawful story.

(I don't care what kind of reviews Hyperdimension Neptunia 2 is getting though, that's where I draw the line)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Oh and also, now that I'm done with SR3 I've picked up Just Cause 2 again. I put it away after someone jokingly said it killed their PS3 a long time ago, I got all nervous and shelved it. :P Good god drat this is a beautiful game. I've spent way too much time just loving around, I finally forced myself to do an actual story-progression mission last night for the first time in like a week.

The people behind Just Cause 2 did a great job with a game engine and world design but they loving SUCKED at missions. It was annoying because every once in a while you'd get a flash of brilliance like the space center or "Lost" island but then you'd go right back to "kill all the guys in this area" missions for like 90% of the game. Hopefully if/when they make JC3 they outsource that poo poo to someone competent.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Troffen posted:

I must be crazy then since I play modern JRPGs for the combat. The turn-based/ATB style of the older FFs is great fun but I really like the complicated, out-there stuff they've been coming up with for games like Resonance of Fate, Ar Tonelico 2, etc. "Complicated" isn't really the right word for 13's combat but it was unique enough to keep me relatively entertained throughout the godawful story.

(I don't care what kind of reviews Hyperdimension Neptunia 2 is getting though, that's where I draw the line)
Resonance of Fate seems quite cool, there are still some JRPGs that do interesting battle systems.

FFXIII-2 just... isn't, one of those. You may dig it, which is totally cool, but complicated it is not. It seems designed to keep you away from any difficult tactical decisions, and instead involves the player only via QTEs (since otherwise, you could almost just put the controller down).

EDIT: VV Oh come on, the voice acting wasn't... thaaaat... bad. HA. HA. HAAAAA.

Still, I dug Tidus, and the whole "living memory" plot line in general. He's probably my favorite FF hero of the pretty-boy generation - at least he was a space-volleyball player, and had a totally metal dad.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 20, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Final Fantasy 13 is hands-down the worst video game purchase I've ever made and it turned me off the franchise for good. I'm not even going to give FF13-2 the benefit of the doubt. Also I know FF8 takes a lot of flak - some deservedly, sure - but I do have a soft spot for it since it was the first FF game I played. Also it had Triple Triad which was drat near worth the price alone. That game owned. FF9 had loads of charm though the setting took some getting used to and FF10 was ruined by the voice acting (but the gameplay wasn't half-bad).

muscles like this? posted:

The people behind Just Cause 2 did a great job with a game engine and world design but they loving SUCKED at missions. It was annoying because every once in a while you'd get a flash of brilliance like the space center or "Lost" island but then you'd go right back to "kill all the guys in this area" missions for like 90% of the game. Hopefully if/when they make JC3 they outsource that poo poo to someone competent.
To be fair, there are like 7 missions total in the game and there's absolutely no reason to do them. I did the first one, then spent 90 hours Just loving Around (tm) and collecting poo poo while listening to music and podcasts, and then did the rest of the missions for completion's sake. I do admit they were the shittiest part of the game, though. Instead of a more coherent plot, they could just focus on making more tools to mess around with in the next game and nothing would be lost.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Hey, someone around here has to play terrible games if you're not going to step up. :colbert:

Edit: I think FF13 was poorly executed, but I see what they were trying to do: they're trying to streamline the ~RPG Experience~ so all those people who simply mash attack, heal, and run to the next plot point get to do that naturally rather than having to press buttons all the drat time. On the whole, as a design decision, I think it's an interesting way to try to cut a lot of the chaff out of the aging ATB system. It would have been very interesting to see how it worked if the story were vaguely up to par and the illusion of choice wasn't completely shattered.

Besides, if I'm going to hate FF13-2 I want to do it from a position of knowledge, at the very least.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 20, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

12 had an overworld. What the hell kind of hallways do you have?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

12 had an overworld. What the hell kind of hallways do you have?
Its over-world was a bunch of hallway-feeling splatters - though I'm thinking mostly of the cities and dungeon-type interiors, though. I'll grant you that at least the overworld was certainly better than FFXIII-2 seems, though.

EDIT: VV I realize. I could still do with a true reset of everything, including the numbers. FFXIII-2 <-- that's just getting silly.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 20, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Shalinor posted:

Cool fact: the Final Fantasy franchise actually resets itself with each numbered entry, introducing a wholly new world, characters, and combat/ability systems.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FFX's battle system was the best one IMHO, it actually allowed for some strategy since you could see the upcoming turn order and manipulate it based on your actions. I've heard a lot of praise for FFX-2's system but I only played about 10 minutes of it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The battle and job systems were the only thing that convinced me to play 10-2, because I really had a lot of fun with them. It's all Active Turn Battle but you can interrupt and chain attacks together, like so if an enemy is running at one character you could use an quick moving attack to stop them and give the attacked character enough time to follow up on it.

Shame about the rest of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Its over-world was a bunch of hallway-feeling splatters - though I'm thinking mostly of the cities and dungeon-type interiors, though. I'll grant you that at least the overworld was certainly better than FFXIII-2 seems, though.

EDIT: VV I realize. I could still do with a true reset of everything, including the numbers. FFXIII-2 <-- that's just getting silly.

A true reset would be indistinguishable from XVI aside from not having numbers afterwards.

I honestly don't know why people hold up FF as the be-all/end-all of JRPGs or even as an accurate representation of what JRPGs are. Pretty much every other JRPG on the market, including other stuff from Square-Enix, is drastically different. Even the Final Fantasy *spinoffs* are nothing like the mainline game. The basic franchise's entire purpose is to be simple, shiny and something anyone can play and win without effort. It has been that way since FF4 and will probably continue to be that way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 20, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think you're discounting how influential FF is for most people's impressions of the genre, and for other games in the genre. FF == JRPGs for many intents and purposes.

edit: especially as the genre slowly withers away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think you're discounting how influential FF is for most people's impressions of the genre, and for other games in the genre. FF == JRPGs for many intents and purposes.

edit: especially as the genre slowly withers away.

Yeah, but it's silly. It's like if I said all FPS were Modern Warfare. It's undeniable it is influential but using it interchangeably is something else entirely. Hell, even less that MW since MW at least got a fuckbillion clones or close ripoffs. It's fine to recognize it as one of the big ones, but it's not even close to a representative of what the genre's gameplay or general design philosophy is at this point. Pretty much any given JRPG on the market is likely to be pretty different from FF.

I guess I just don't get why people are shocked that Final Fantasy is a shallow-but-pretty RPG. That's what Final Fantasy is. The only reason people seem to remember it differently is because they were kids or teenagers when their favorite Final Fantasy came out and didn't notice how shallow it was even then. (and I'm including myself here since FFVI is my favorite and that is a game where basic defense mechanics didn't even work right and nobody noticed because it was so easy that everyone STILL walked over everything. I can't actually defend why I like it because it's almost entirely based on the soundtrack + a lot of nostalgia.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 20, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
See, though, you're into FPSes. To someone who isn't and is looking to get into it, it's definitely the most popular and would probably be the first game they go to in the genre, and will probably be representative of shooters as a whole for them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

See, though, you're into FPSes. To someone who isn't and is looking to get into it, it's definitely the most popular and would probably be the first game they go to in the genre, and will probably be representative of shooters as a whole for them.
MW is one of the only games in ANY genre that advertises heavily on TV and such. Similarly, FF is one of the only games in Japan that is treated that way. When I read on Japanese blogs comparing American and Japanese games it always comes down to FF vs. MW, since those are pretty much the representative series of their countries.

edit: representatives to each other's countries I mean. When Japanese think of American games they think of MW, when Americans think of Japanese games they think of FF.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Well, I admit that I understand that from a wider perspective. I suppose I'm talking more about the kind of folks who post on internet forums about games. Perhaps I shouldn't make assumptions.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I admit that I understand that from a wider perspective. I suppose I'm talking more about the kind of folks who post on internet forums about games. Perhaps I shouldn't make assumptions.

I definitely understand your point, though. The games shouldn't be representative of their entire genre, but are in the mainstream sense. I honestly never really got Final Fantasy myself (the only one I've really liked is VIII, if you can believe it), but I'll say that I'm into JRPGs because I like Tales games and Japanese SRPGs.

**There was another paragraph here, but I forgot the point I was trying to make and ended up rambling about how I never got mainstream FPSes**

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Pablo Gigante posted:

FFX's battle system was the best one IMHO, it actually allowed for some strategy since you could see the upcoming turn order and manipulate it based on your actions. I've heard a lot of praise for FFX-2's system but I only played about 10 minutes of it.

FFX-2's battle system was great and while I'm not sure how it's aged, I'd suggest the game if just because battles were often pretty fun. The problem is that the characters and setting and story and all of that were awful and as a result it's pretty tough to try and sell the game just for its battle system.

I really wish they would go back and try out something like the Dresspheres again, but instead they seem to be taken with the boring Paradigm Shift system that substitutes for actually inputting commands (I assume they used it or something similar for 13-2? Haven't heard otherwise).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I definitely understand your point, though. The games shouldn't be representative of their entire genre, but are in the mainstream sense. I honestly never really got Final Fantasy myself (the only one I've really liked is VIII, if you can believe it), but I'll say that I'm into JRPGs because I like Tales games and Japanese SRPGs.

**There was another paragraph here, but I forgot the point I was trying to make and ended up rambling about how I never got mainstream FPSes**

I'm actually in the same boat as you. I've never quite gotten Modern Warfare or even Halo. I certainly recognize that they are appealing but they're just not my kind of thing. Likewise, I say I like JRPGs because I enjoy things like the Tales games or Persona games. I play FF but it's never even been in my top 10 as far as JRPG franchises go, not even when I was young. (Phantasy Star is best badly-spelled Fantasy JRPG.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Of course the interiors are like that, though. We make stuff out of hallways. That's how humans (And ants) design.

Not that I'm excusing FF13, but it made sense in 12. The previous "world map" style overworlds are just timesinks.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ok, I'm crossposting this from the SSX thread, and I know its the XBOX footage... :downs:

But seriously, SSX is going to be so much drat fun when it comes out, and everybody needs to pre-order it now.

Himuro posted:

Gamespot put up new videos from the review copy.

And it looks glorious.

Best Race Ever

Race It

Trick It

• Locked thread