Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Salt Fish posted:

What do you think about a wireless remote control?

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Doesn't that only work for WMP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
PowerMate seems pretty neat, but apparently it doesn't support 64-bit Win 7 yet. A remote probably wouldn't cut it, either.

This really isn't necessary for me, but I was just wondering if something existed like this. I currently have a Logitech G11, and I've gotten really used to the media keys. My new Das Keyboard is gonna arrive on Tuesday, and the only thing it's really missing are media controls.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
You might be able to roll your own media controls with something like AutoHotkey/

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Smuckles posted:

You might be able to roll your own media controls with something like AutoHotkey/

Ooh, that's actually not a bad idea.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shogunner posted:

Doesn't that only work for WMP?

It depends on how the remote works. If it uses some kind of software in between the USB stick and WMP then yes, but if they work like keyboard media keys do they probably emulate a keyboard pressing a shortcut. That is, when you press the media key your computers sees ALT+SHIFT+N or whatever. You can then rebind your shortcuts to be those, or if it comes with software rebind the button itself to a different shortcut.

edit: this one specifically supports winamp for example

http://www.amazon.com/Center-Remote-Control-Infrared-Receiver/dp/B001HBOJRQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327189082&sr=1-10

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 22, 2012

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

So when is Apple going to make an illuminated keyboard?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bret Hart posted:

So when is Apple going to make an illuminated keyboard?

They make one, it's just attached to a $1000+ laptop :v:

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
So anyone do ~serious~ gaming with blues? How is it? I wanted blues for my first board just because I love the noise, but, if they're ever problematic in the future, I might try blacks.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shogunner posted:

So anyone do ~serious~ gaming with blues? How is it? I wanted blues for my first board just because I love the noise, but, if they're ever problematic in the future, I might try blacks.

They work fine for me, although I'm not exactly super-pro or anything. I mostly play games like Dota 2 (RTS) or FPS games and I have no problems with it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Shogunner posted:

What game are you playing?
Games that have a lot of double tapping (like Starcraft or LoL or DOTA) aren't too good for blues, since they have 2 pieces and don't "reset" as fast as other switches.
If it's a game that relies less on the keyboard (like Battlefield or CoD), then it shouldn't be a problem, but is still not as ideal as the other switches.

If that's all you're doing, then your best choices are MX black or red. Both linear, and the black has a higher spring tension than red. I prefer red, as it's lighter and I bottom out hard.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

jwoven posted:

What game are you playing?
Games that have a lot of double tapping (like Starcraft or LoL or DOTA) aren't too good for blues, since they have 2 pieces and don't "reset" as fast as other switches.
If it's a game that relies less on the keyboard (like Battlefield or CoD), then it shouldn't be a problem, but is still not as ideal as the other switches.

If that's all you're doing, then your best choices are MX black or red. Both linear, and the black has a higher spring tension than red. I prefer red, as it's lighter and I bottom out hard.

Welp, besides Dotes 2 I'm more of an FPS guy, but it's not like I'm ~pro~ or anything so I think I'll be fine for the moment. I might just get a black switches board because mechanical keyboards are just so drat good though. :v:

e: Also, do they reset as fast as, say membrane keyboards? Because, if that's the case then I'm sure I'll be fine.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Shogunner posted:

Welp, besides Dotes 2 I'm more of an FPS guy, but it's not like I'm ~pro~ or anything so I think I'll be fine for the moment. I might just get a black switches board because mechanical keyboards are just so drat good though. :v:

e: Also, do they reset as fast as, say membrane keyboards? Because, if that's the case then I'm sure I'll be fine.

They reset faster. Cherry switches actuate around halfway down, so you could just barely tap the switch, it'll register, and you're ready to go again. Even if you bottom out, it still springs back faster than a membrane board.
Black switches spring back faster than red ones, which are faster than brown, which are about the same as clear, which is still faster than blue.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
Micro Center got the Storm QuickFire Rapid in. I was tempted to drive and pick one up even though I have the same board showing up Tuesday. I'm almost positive these are the MX blues but the description isn't too clear. And also according to the description we won't be getting the reds in the States any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

E: It has a two year warranty!

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 22, 2012

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jwoven posted:

They reset faster. Cherry switches actuate around halfway down, so you could just barely tap the switch, it'll register, and you're ready to go again. Even if you bottom out, it still springs back faster than a membrane board.
Black switches spring back faster than red ones, which are faster than brown, which are about the same as clear, which is still faster than blue.

I've been in diamond every season in sc2 and play around 180 apm and I have never noticed any difference between blues and membrane for playing effectiveness. I think the idea that different switches are better or worse for gaming/typing is mostly hype.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

I've been in diamond every season in sc2 and play around 180 apm and I have never noticed any difference between blues and membrane for playing effectiveness. I think the idea that different switches are better or worse for gaming/typing is mostly hype.

So the switches, in your opinion, its just personal preference sound and feel wise? Because its hard to actually find info i this, beyond "reds make you mistype, blacks make your fingers tired, lol not blues for games.

I'm asking because as soon as wasdkeyboards gets their fullcustom iso 105 thing up i'm ordering one but i'm stuck on switches for an equal split game/typing pc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does anyone know of a mechanical keyboard with this type of layout?

I actually use the numpad so I don't want a tenkeyless model, but I would be very happy to squeeze up the arrows/pagenav keys like this in exchange for getting my hands a bit closer to each other.

Hell, even if the block was completely absent it would still be fine, as you can easily emulate them via NumLock (and I could even use AutoHotkey to have 5123 as the arrows).

(Yes, I know I could get a compact keyboard and a separate numpad, but that's butt-ugly and probably wastes precious centimetres. Although I guess it does allow me to put the numpad on the left, hmm...)

E: I've found Thermaltake's eSPORTS Meka, but goddamnit, the lack of a Win key is a deal-breaker. Maybe I could experiment with some rebinding...

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 22, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Noppoo Choc Mini kinda has what you're going for, sans the physical numpad:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

canada jezus posted:

So the switches, in your opinion, its just personal preference sound and feel wise? Because its hard to actually find info i this, beyond "reds make you mistype, blacks make your fingers tired, lol not blues for games.

I'm asking because as soon as wasdkeyboards gets their fullcustom iso 105 thing up i'm ordering one but i'm stuck on switches for an equal split game/typing pc.

Thats my personal opinion yah. Although I would go for browns if I got another mechanical. I really like my Filco with blues, but its a little loud and a little heavy/huge. I'm going to scoop one of those choc minis as my next keyboard so I can carry it in my laptop bag for when I'm offsite coding all day on my crappy laptop keyboard.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Salt Fish posted:

Thats my personal opinion yah. Although I would go for browns if I got another mechanical. I really like my Filco with blues, but its a little loud and a little heavy/huge. I'm going to scoop one of those choc minis as my next keyboard so I can carry it in my laptop bag for when I'm offsite coding all day on my crappy laptop keyboard.

Dampeners might suit your needs?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nah, you just can't put a full-size keyboard into a laptop bag. Its like 16" or something.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Salt Fish posted:

Nah, you just can't put a full-size keyboard into a laptop bag. Its like 16" or something.

If you need something super small and portable, the KBC Poker I recently got is pretty good, without breaking the bank like the Happy Hacking board might. The arrow lock mode turns the bottom right cluster of modifier keys into a sort of inverted-T. The USB cable is detachable, too, which helps a little for portability.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Micro Center got the Storm QuickFire Rapid in. I was tempted to drive and pick one up even though I have the same board showing up Tuesday. I'm almost positive these are the MX blues but the description isn't too clear. And also according to the description we won't be getting the reds in the States any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

quote:

CHERRY MX Black, Brown, or Blue switches will be available based on region.

:raise: I hope the box at least says what kind it is, I'm thinking of driving down to Micro Center to pick one up.

Problem that I'm just now thinking about, though: how well do these things play with Macs? Is there anything I can use to rebind media (fn) keys, get Ctrl/Alt/Opt in the right order, etc?

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Anal Tributary posted:

:raise: I hope the box at least says what kind it is, I'm thinking of driving down to Micro Center to pick one up.

Problem that I'm just now thinking about, though: how well do these things play with Macs? Is there anything I can use to rebind media (fn) keys, get Ctrl/Alt/Opt in the right order, etc?

I don't know about the media keys but changing the modifier keys is built into the os.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

These guys say its fine. Namely because Filcos work well with macs, windows keys are the fn keys, and most people say the QuickFire Rapids were made by Costar, the same people who makes Filcos.

Also:

code:
Specifications of CoolerMaster CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Keyboard
Brand:  	CoolerMaster
Model:  	CM Storm
Name:  	        CoolerMaster CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Keyboard
OS Supported:  	Windows Xp, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS
Variant:  	Quick Fire Rapid Keyboard
Weight:  	940g g
Length:  	355 mm
Width:  	135 mm
Height:  	35 mm
Platform:  	PC 

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 23, 2012

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I was ordering some electronics parts and noticed Digikey is selling Cherry keyboards.
Anyone tried the Cherry keyboards? I might pick one up out of convenience with my next order.

http://search.digikey.com/ca/en/products/G86-52400EUADAA/CH961-ND/2051866
http://search.digikey.com/ca/en/products/G803000LSCEU2/CH979-ND/2601953
http://search.digikey.com/ca/en/products/G8662401EUADAA/CH918-ND/1144737

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Cherry boards are ok, but they're mostly a POS type of thing, and don't have the most features, and aren't the best choice. I wouldn't buy one at those prices.
There's a guy on geekhack selling a bunch of full sized board with the trackpad for 25 bucks.
The only thing Cherry boards have going for them is that they had doubleshot keycaps, but those have since been discontinued
Don't forget that the G86 is a rubber dome switch.

NihilCredo: Ricercar spos

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 23, 2012

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Does anyone know of a script for AutoHotkey that makes a Windows key a function button, then lets you add secondary functions for whichever key you choose?

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but, gently caress if I can find anything of the sort for it. :(

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

I've been waiting for these to hit Scandinavia. I need a relatively cheap tenkeyless since Filcos go for like 140 euros here :(

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Shogunner posted:

Does anyone know of a script for AutoHotkey that makes a Windows key a function button, then lets you add secondary functions for whichever key you choose?

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but, gently caress if I can find anything of the sort for it. :(

Here's how to make your own scripts: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Use the '#' symbol to denote the windows key.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Tedronai66 posted:

Here's how to make your own scripts: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Use the '#' symbol to denote the windows key.
I thought it was LWin and RWin?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:aaaaa: The media & volume keys on my new CM Storm worked right out of the box on Mac! Awesome.

This thing is loud as a MOTHERFUCKER though with Cherry MX Blues. I'm kind of wondering if they have any plans to bring a version with Browns to the US.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

:aaaaa: The media & volume keys on my new CM Storm worked right out of the box on Mac! Awesome.

This thing is loud as a MOTHERFUCKER though with Cherry MX Blues. I'm kind of wondering if they have any plans to bring a version with Browns to the US.
Is it shared dorm room prohibitive loud?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Is it shared dorm room prohibitive loud?

It's "audible in neighbor's dorm" loud, which is troubling. I don't know if I'll return it, but I know I'll have to keep another keyboard around for night use :\

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

It's "audible in neighbor's dorm" loud, which is troubling. I don't know if I'll return it, but I know I'll have to keep another keyboard around for night use :\
Hmm well even browns you can hear from one room over. It's all about pitch and tone I think.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I would describe blues as sounding pretty similar to Browns, except with twice as many clicks (unless of course you don't bottom out, in which case it's a much bigger difference).

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Hmm well even browns you can hear from one room over. It's all about pitch and tone I think.

Main noise with browns will be keycap-on-pcb action. I use 70A o-rings on my blues (and likely will on my das with browns when it comes in), and it's helped a ton with that noise. still get the blue click, but it's definitely a LOT quieter.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I thought it was LWin and RWin?

It is, I think # makes it generic.

http://www.autohotkey.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lesson_1 Might help more.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Since my computer is in the same room my partner and I sleep in, I think getting a secondary, quiet keyboard for night time typing would be really useful. Any suggestions for something super quiet and not terribly crappy (I feel like all the Logitech keyboards have manufacturing issues these days)?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Tedronai66 posted:

Main noise with browns will be keycap-on-pcb action. I use 70A o-rings on my blues (and likely will on my das with browns when it comes in), and it's helped a ton with that noise. still get the blue click, but it's definitely a LOT quieter.

It is, I think # makes it generic.

http://www.autohotkey.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lesson_1 Might help more.

I'm confused, why is this not working

LWin & ~Numpad9::Ctrl & Alt & Insert

Wouldn't that make my L windows + Numpad 9 perform Ctrl+Alt+Insert

My mind is blown

:negative:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Try

#Numpad9::^!Ins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

NihilCredo posted:

Try

#Numpad9::^!Ins

Doesn't seem to be working. :(

e: It does actually seem to be working since the windows key doesn't do what it's suppose to, but, Winamp doesn't seem to pick it up.

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 24, 2012

• Locked thread