Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

404notfound posted:

This isn't really addressing your question, but why do you even need navigation in the vicinity of your house?

I can deal with it being off while driving here, I usually just turn it off when I know where I am anyways, but the problem is leaving It's a huge complex so It's constantly rerouting while I'm leaving the area before it finally figures out where I actually am.

Has Waze improved from where it was two years ago? I'm in Atlanta, and back then the maps were sporadic and routing was hilariously bad in some areas, like saying to use streets that hadn't existed in over 20 years or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

404notfound posted:

This isn't really addressing your question, but why do you even need navigation in the vicinity of your house?
Thank you for posting what I was thinking.

Ryokurin, what device are you using? I can't imagine why you'd have such a tough time getting completely accurate location at your house as it should get your location data from being connected to your wifi access point. Unless you have a device with completely broken GPS (Galaxy S- Vibrant in particular, G2x) you should get a perfect location at your home. My Nexus One for example can pinpoint what room in my house I'm in when I turn on GPS indoors as long as wifi is enabled. There's no reason you should be off by 50m outside.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You're describing a hardware problem, not a Google Navigation problem.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ryokurin posted:

Has Waze improved from where it was two years ago? I'm in Atlanta, and back then the maps were sporadic and routing was hilariously bad in some areas, like saying to use streets that hadn't existed in over 20 years or worse.

I've only used it a bit around rural Pennsylvania but it was pretty good

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ryokurin posted:

Everyone loves Google Navigation right? Well I think it sucks, and I'm looking for alternatives. My problem with it is it's accuracy.

I live in an apartment complex that's in between two shopping complexes. Gnav is convinced that my address is around 50 yards away from where it actually is, so as soon as I turn into home it immediately tries to re-route to the complex. I know what you are thinking, to just turn it off, but I also have a worse problem when I leave from my house. Technically the roads I live on are on most GPS maps I've seen as a unnamed road, including Gnav but Gnav is convinced that the apartment is located in a subdivision that is actually a half mile from the nearest exit out of my apartment. My old phone a iPhone 3GS with MotionX GPS drive could tell that I was on the unnamed road and navigate out of the two exits I could take, depending on which direction I would ultimately take to my destination, so a Galaxy Nexus should be able to figure this out too.

What I'm afraid of is that most of the other GPS programs are going to take the easy way out like CoPilot seems to do and just become a front end to Gnav and have the same errors. Any suggestions so i don't keep wasting money for the same problems?
Do you google think your address is at the wrong place (mapping issue, I think there is a way to tell google about those) or does it think you are in the wrong place (GPS issue)?
For security any "Go Home" type navigation shortcut should be a nearby address or intersection so it doesn't lead right to your door anyway.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

I can't help but wonder if this is related. Should we be excited? Or scared?

Or...both?

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease :f5:

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
The HTC Sense messaging app is driving me bonkers, since it has an annoying habit of ordering messages in the wrong order occasionally. Usually it will place my reply above the original message in the timeline if I replied in less than 10 seconds. Can anyone reccomend a good messaging replacement app? I don't need bells and whistles I just want something with a functioning timeline.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ryokurin posted:

Everything is Peachtree. That is your problem in Atlanta.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popehoist posted:

The HTC Sense messaging app is driving me bonkers, since it has an annoying habit of ordering messages in the wrong order occasionally. Usually it will place my reply above the original message in the timeline if I replied in less than 10 seconds. Can anyone reccomend a good messaging replacement app? I don't need bells and whistles I just want something with a functioning timeline.
Handcent should be perfect for your needs. The default skin is very iPhone-esque but that's pretty easy to change if you hate speech bubbles or whatever, otherwise it's just a slightly better version of the default app.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Popehoist posted:

Vote for GoSms here

Love Go products.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I've been using Car Widget on my GN. You add a widget to your home screen instead of having a second car mode home screen. One of the themes copies Google Car Home very well so I don't miss the actual app at all.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.anod.car.home.free

Edit: Here's how I have mine set.

Looks pretty nifty. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. Thanks.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
This may be a little pie-in-the-sky, but is there a good "news aggregator"-type app? I read the New York Times, BBC, Al Jazeera, Foreign Policy, etc. and I would love to get all the info in one place instead of swimming through a pool of different apps for every publication.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OSheaman posted:

This may be a little pie-in-the-sky, but is there a good "news aggregator"-type app? I read the New York Times, BBC, Al Jazeera, Foreign Policy, etc. and I would love to get all the info in one place instead of swimming through a pool of different apps for every publication.
Google News in the browser?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So maybe one of you may be able to help out a goon with no money. I have the TF201 and download the SwiftKey Tablet X trial, where can I get an app that has the same thumb keyboard layout?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

OSheaman posted:

Pulse maybe? It's very pretty.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

LastInLine posted:

Thank you for posting what I was thinking.

Ryokurin, what device are you using? I can't imagine why you'd have such a tough time getting completely accurate location at your house as it should get your location data from being connected to your wifi access point. Unless you have a device with completely broken GPS (Galaxy S- Vibrant in particular, G2x) you should get a perfect location at your home. My Nexus One for example can pinpoint what room in my house I'm in when I turn on GPS indoors as long as wifi is enabled. There's no reason you should be off by 50m outside.

Galaxy Nexus. Maybe because I used GPS status yesterday to force a cache flush yesterday it's now accurate. Hopefully the map edit request goes through on the website. Everything is off by at least 50 yards on this street.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

OSheaman posted:

Google Reader + Full-text RSS generator + Feedly/Taptu

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 21, 2012

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

SlayVus posted:

So maybe one of you may be able to help out a goon with no money. I have the TF201 and download the SwiftKey Tablet X trial, where can I get an app that has the same thumb keyboard layout?

I haven't heard anything about this app but its got the layout you're looking for and has a pretty high rating in the market. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.prettyeasy.tabletkeyboard.free&hl=en

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

OSheaman posted:

It combs a bunch of sites for news so it would be hard to follow specific sites, but I really like "News360"

It has been my go to news app as of late.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OSheaman posted:

Would Google Currents work? If it has subscriptions available for your sites, it seems like kind of what you're looking for. Worst case, I think you can just plug RSS feeds into it.

Personally, I've been using Google Reader to aggregate a bunch of feeds, and then Feedly to read them on my tablet. I've also been meaning to try out Pulse but I don't know much about it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

So I am finally moving into the 21st century and abandoning my "pick one of a half-dozen passwords for every site I log into" strategy in favor of something actually secure. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good "Password Keeper" app? Candidates so far are SplashID, mSecure, and 1password (I tried keePass but the Mac client keeps crashing on me, so that's a deal-breaker). Requirements:

- Desktop application for OS X
- Syncing over wireless/dropbox
- Able to add/edit keys on mobile
- Option for browser integration / plugin
- Secure (duh)

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone! I'm trying out Pulse and will see how it goes :)

EDIT: Another question: what are people's favorite calendar apps/widgets? I need something that would (ideally) sync with Google Calendar and (more importantly) make a whole lot of noise when I need to be notified of an appointment (instead of the quiet "beep" sound I usually hear when I get a notification). Easy-to-use, reliable, etc. also all a plus.

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 21, 2012

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hubis posted:

Candidates so far are SplashID, mSecure, and 1password

I used to use SplashID, but I got fed up with the cumbersome Android UI and the nuisance of having to ask for license codes to use the Windows version on multiple machines. Unfortunately, I switched to KeePass, so I can't make a recommendation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm trying out the ICS Messaging app as I wait for the Nexus S 4G to get an official OTA (or buy a Sprint GNex) and it's pretty awesome.

Is this seriously how the ICS Messaging app is? I mean it's simplistic, but it's still really good for what I use it for. Also, Roboto looks amazing on the NS4G screen.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I'm looking for a good, simple SMS app that works like the stock app, except for the ability to send mass texts by selecting names from my contact list.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm trying out the ICS Messaging app as I wait for the Nexus S 4G to get an official OTA (or buy a Sprint GNex) and it's pretty awesome.

Is this seriously how the ICS Messaging app is? I mean it's simplistic, but it's still really good for what I use it for. Also, Roboto looks amazing on the NS4G screen.

Yeah that looks exactly like the ICS messaging app, which is indeed fantastic looking. Roboto is so superior it's ridiculous.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hubis posted:

So I am finally moving into the 21st century and abandoning my "pick one of a half-dozen passwords for every site I log into" strategy in favor of something actually secure. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good "Password Keeper" app? Candidates so far are SplashID, mSecure, and 1password (I tried keePass but the Mac client keeps crashing on me, so that's a deal-breaker). Requirements:

- Secure (duh)
1Password will do all that, but doesn't have a mobile browser extension that I know of.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hubis posted:

- Secure (duh)

I'm going to mention something that doesn't match your requirements. Not because I'm a dick and didn't read what you wrote, but because sometimes people don't realize the options that are available to them.

I use Lastpass and love the poo poo out of it. It's cloud-based, has extensions for all the major browsers, and a nice Android app. It's also widely recommended and used. It doesn't have a desktop application (that I know of), because you use it through the browser. It "syncs" because it's all in the cloud, not because of any specific wireless or Dropbox integration.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Thanks, I'll give those a closer look. My "requirements" are more "preferences", so I'm a bit flexible if there's a great solution that doesn't quite meet all of them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Any new features in the ICS messaging app when compared to 2.3?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
I need a couple of App recommendations for using my new Xoom at Uni:
-Something for taking notes in lectures. The tablet came with QuickOffice HD, so I don't know if that'll work for it. Ideally it'd have something for sketching quick diagrams, but I'm alright swapping to a different app for that.
-An app for sketching quick diagrams. Pretty much just needs touch screen drawing and the ability to save.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I need a couple of App recommendations for using my new Xoom at Uni:
-Something for taking notes in lectures. The tablet came with QuickOffice HD, so I don't know if that'll work for it. Ideally it'd have something for sketching quick diagrams, but I'm alright swapping to a different app for that.
-An app for sketching quick diagrams. Pretty much just needs touch screen drawing and the ability to save.

I haven't used QuickOffice and it might be very capable, but I've used Evernote on my tablet and it worked rather well.

I'm not sure what would be good for sketching diagrams in class, I use SketchBook Pro for drawing in general, though it seems like overkill for this sort of thing. Have you considered discretely taking pictures of diagrams your professor puts on the board with your tablet? I've done this in the past and I don't think it came off as too goony.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.adsk.sketchbookhd
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.evernote

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm going to mention something that doesn't match your requirements. Not because I'm a dick and didn't read what you wrote, but because sometimes people don't realize the options that are available to them.

I use Lastpass and love the poo poo out of it. It's cloud-based, has extensions for all the major browsers, and a nice Android app. It's also widely recommended and used. It doesn't have a desktop application (that I know of), because you use it through the browser. It "syncs" because it's all in the cloud, not because of any specific wireless or Dropbox integration.
Same for me and I've always been pleased.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I need a couple of App recommendations...

Glimm posted:

I haven't used QuickOffice and it might be very capable, but I've used Evernote...
I'm a big fan of Evernote. It's cloud-based which means your stuff is backed up and you can access it all from the web; and it's cross-platform so it has clients for most everything. It has plugins for browsers for clipping web pages and images and the desktop clients can take screenshots and clip from other applications (on Windows at least, dunno about OSX, and depending on the application). The Android client is increasingly robust and allows for things like bulleted lists and adding location metadata.

For a sketching app, how about Skitch?. I haven't used it personally but it's supposed to be friendly with Evernote (especially since Evernote bought them).

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Does Evernote also have local storage? It's not a 3G Xoom, so I can't be absolutely sure that I'll always have a connection.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Yes. Also it's worth noting that you can change your sync settings (turn off automatic sync, sync only on wifi, etc).

If you're creating a note from the widget it may say something like "failed to upload note," but it will still exist on the device.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone found a way to stream media from PC to a Kindle Fire (unrooted) ?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone found a way to stream media from PC to a Kindle Fire (unrooted) ?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Darts-crafts&field-keywords=emit&x=0&y=0

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

landis posted:

I'm a big fan of Evernote. It's cloud-based which means your stuff is backed up and you can access it all from the web; and it's cross-platform so it has clients for most everything. It has plugins for browsers for clipping web pages and images and the desktop clients can take screenshots and clip from other applications (on Windows at least, dunno about OSX, and depending on the application). The Android client is increasingly robust and allows for things like bulleted lists and adding location metadata.

For a sketching app, how about Skitch?. I haven't used it personally but it's supposed to be friendly with Evernote (especially since Evernote bought them).

Catch is also pretty good, and the Android app is phenomenal. I use both personally, Evernote for anything that is detailed and Catch is more for brain farts or something that deserves a Post-It note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

You are the man. Thanks.

• Locked thread