Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not sure what game design refers to in this instance. It has all the fundamental gameplay stuff of Fallout 2, which is good, but it's also a lot more atmospheric. The tone is a lot darker. In retrospect it weirds me out that Fallout 2 is so goofy. Or rather, that Fallout 2 is so uneven in its goofiness. It goes from Horrigan to making peace with the Rat God, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Speedball posted:

So, is there anything relatively modern that would be a good Metroidvania (besides, obviously, Metroids and Shadow Complex?)

Hell, maybe I should just boot up Shadow Complex again....

Try Unepic. It's an indie game on PC. I played the demo for a bit a few nights ago and it seems pretty fun. The full game is on Desura right now, but I remember hearing that it was on its way to Steam in the near future. The premise is you're a nerdy dude who got sucked into a giant castle while playing D&D with your friends. There are level ups, plenty of weapons and spells, and crafting.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Speedball posted:

So, is there anything relatively modern that would be a good Metroidvania (besides, obviously, Metroids and Shadow Complex?)

Hell, maybe I should just boot up Shadow Complex again....

Escape from puppy death factory(on adult swim, free) and the underside(by the same guy) if he ever finishes the underside it will be awesome. Also cave story if you haven't played it. btw http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/insignificantstudios/about.php also free

Moroz123
Sep 17, 2010
I want a game that where you have to manage a castle/town/city etc and you have to go out and get resources for managing it correctly. Combat elements are nice if possible.

Moroz123 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 21, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Moroz123 posted:

I want a game that where you have to manage a castle/town/city etc and you have to go out and get resources for managing it correctly. Combat elements are nice if possible.

There's a Minecraft mod called Tale of Kingdoms that sounds exactly like what you're looking for. You go out, killing things and gathering materials, and eventually use materials you gather to slowly build up a kingdom. Most of the buildings within the kingdom are there to directly support your character. Shops, Armorers, Churches to heal you, civilians to work for you and collect taxes from, a militia so you have a posse to roll with, etc. It's surprisingly deep and seriously fun, and I'm not even a big Minecraft guy, I just like this mod a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72V8kO4p_VM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyn3o9JcOpY

Moroz123
Sep 17, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

There's a Minecraft mod called Tale of Kingdoms that sounds exactly like what you're looking for. You go out, killing things and gathering materials, and eventually use materials you gather to slowly build up a kingdom. Most of the buildings within the kingdom are there to directly support your character. Shops, Armorers, Churches to heal you, civilians to work for you and collect taxes from, a militia so you have a posse to roll with, etc. It's surprisingly deep and seriously fun, and I'm not even a big Minecraft guy, I just like this mod a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72V8kO4p_VM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyn3o9JcOpY

This is exactly what i'm looking for, and more of a reason to play minecraft.

Thanks

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Are there any older games like La Noire? I really dig the investigative + dialoguey aspects of it. The only similar game I can think of is Alpha Protocol, and I've played the poo poo out of it.

Cubiks
Aug 31, 2005
I wish I had something witty to put here...
So seeing Maxwell Adams and crew play Cargo! gave me a hankering for a similar vehicle creation type game. I guess the best example would be Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, except thats 360 only. Any similar games for Mac or PC? Cargo itself unfortunately looks terrible from that LP...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

CerebralDonut posted:

Are there any older games like La Noire? I really dig the investigative + dialoguey aspects of it. The only similar game I can think of is Alpha Protocol, and I've played the poo poo out of it.

- Heavy Rain (PS3)
- Ace Attorney Investigations (DS)
- Hotel Dusk / Last Window (DS)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Could I get some opinions on Azure Dreams for the PSX?

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Douche Bag posted:

Could I get some opinions on Azure Dreams for the PSX?

I thought it was fun for a while, but got bored of it eventually. The pokemon part is pretty fun, but I got bored of climbing the 100 floor tower. There is also a dating sim part, but don't remember much about that.
Now that I think about its almost like Persona 3 but not as good, and even more anime.

Radicool
Oct 28, 2011

Are there any good rpgs on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive? I've pretty much played every single one on the Snes, and I'm still craving more 16-bit goodness.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Radicool posted:

Are there any good rpgs on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive? I've pretty much played every single one on the Snes, and I'm still craving more 16-bit goodness.

Strategy RPGs: Shining Force I & II, Warsong

Action RPGs: Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Crusader of Centy/Soleil

JRPGs: Phantasy Star III & IV, Shining in the Darkness

I've bolded the ones that were the best IMHO. If you play one, play Phantasy Star IV. If you have the time, play both Shining Force games, but II is probably the 'better' one.

Radicool
Oct 28, 2011

Internet Meme posted:

Strategy RPGs: Shining Force I & II, Warsong

Action RPGs: Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Crusader of Centy/Soleil

JRPGs: Phantasy Star III & IV, Shining in the Darkness

I've bolded the ones that were the best IMHO. If you play one, play Phantasy Star IV. If you have the time, play both Shining Force games, but II is probably the 'better' one.

Thanks for the suggestions; this should occupy my extra free time for awhile. I forgot all about Phantasy Star and Shining Force for some reason, I just always think Sonic and Ristar when I think of the Genesis. :sweatdrop:

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Can someone recommend me an exploration game? I guess the pinnacle of what I'm looking for is Morrowind. extremely non-linear, rpg, vast unique world. However, I understand this is unrealistic. I've played and enjoyed(not just the games themselves but the "exploration" factor) games like the Gothic series, Fallout, Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, Tomb Raider, Baldurs Gate, Resident Evil 4, Farcry, stuff like that. Games like the Assassins creed series, Mass Effect, or Borderlands bore me it feels like it's just the same environment and one I can't really surprise myself or interact with. I guess what I'm looking for is not only lush environments but games that keep knowledge hidden from you. Part of exploring is really not knowing what you're going to find. Games like Morrowind or Gothic do this greatly, never know what is behind the next door really.

Some people said I should try out those Vampire Masquerade games or STALKER and plan to do so. LOTR online seemed like it's right up my alley so I'll try that to. My want for non-archetypical games might lead me to some cool Japanese or foreign games where part of the exploration comes from "wtf is this poo poo" so I'm down for those as well. Sick of walking through the woods fighting boars and going to the city to fight sewer rats.

Really I just want to be dropped into an huge alien world, with no idea what do or where to go and have the ability to strengthen my character through the use of exploration and finding poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I have a huge nerd boner for skill trees. Give me a game with a good skill tree, like Divinity II or Titan Quest, and I will play it forever. Give me a game with boring skill trees, like Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect 2, and I will get bored in <5 hours.

Recommend me some PC games with rad skill trees. No MMO's, please.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 23, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rap Music and Dope posted:

My want for non-archetypical games might lead me to some cool Japanese or foreign games where part of the exploration comes from "wtf is this poo poo" so I'm down for those as well.

If you can emulate PS1 games, LSD is worth checking out. The graphics are pretty drat bad, even by 1998 standards, but it's a really interesting game to get lost in for a while.

Yume Nikki is an adventure game made in RPG Maker that's essentially a giant surreal maze. If you actually want to finish the game, you'll probably definitely want to use a FAQ, but I recommend first exploring on your own until you get bored. One of the most atmospheric and unsettling 2D games I've ever played.

Also, while not an "exploration game" of the traditional sort, I have to recommend Panic! for Sega CD. It's a giant maze of strange scenes where you just push buttons and see what happens. Some send you forward. Some send you backward. Some blow up famous landmarks. Some make you grow boobs on your head. It's that sort of game.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2012

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Can someone recommend me an exploration game? I guess the pinnacle of what I'm looking for is Morrowind. extremely non-linear, rpg, vast unique world. However, I understand this is unrealistic. I've played and enjoyed(not just the games themselves but the "exploration" factor) games like the Gothic series, Fallout, Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, Tomb Raider, Baldurs Gate, Resident Evil 4, Farcry, stuff like that. Games like the Assassins creed series, Mass Effect, or Borderlands bore me it feels like it's just the same environment and one I can't really surprise myself or interact with. I guess what I'm looking for is not only lush environments but games that keep knowledge hidden from you. Part of exploring is really not knowing what you're going to find. Games like Morrowind or Gothic do this greatly, never know what is behind the next door really.

Some people said I should try out those Vampire Masquerade games or STALKER and plan to do so. LOTR online seemed like it's right up my alley so I'll try that to. My want for non-archetypical games might lead me to some cool Japanese or foreign games where part of the exploration comes from "wtf is this poo poo" so I'm down for those as well. Sick of walking through the woods fighting boars and going to the city to fight sewer rats.

Really I just want to be dropped into an huge alien world, with no idea what do or where to go and have the ability to strengthen my character through the use of exploration and finding poo poo.

Precursors might be a good choice if you can look past its shortcomings. You can get it from Beamdog or Gamersgate. Shadow of the Colossus has a great world to explore, though I guess there isn't a great deal to do in it. Could also try something like the Nehrim total conversion mod for Oblivion if you've exhausted the base game.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Why not Oblivion and Skyrim?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

joshtothemaxx posted:

Why not Oblivion and Skyrim?

Sick of walking through the woods fighting boars and going to the city to fight sewer rats.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Joramun posted:

You're going to hate LOTRO.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Thanks for the recommendations so far I'll try em out. Guess I'll skip on LOTR though. Oblivion or Skyrim? I've played them to death and Oblivion is really the worst example of what I'm looking for here. Everything is just literal vanilla and monotonous as all hell.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Thanks for the recommendations so far I'll try em out. Guess I'll skip on LOTR though. Oblivion or Skyrim? I've played them to death and Oblivion is really the worst example of what I'm looking for here. Everything is just literal vanilla and monotonous as all hell.

I know your question was leading towards RPGs, but how do you feel about strategy games? In terms of exploration I've always enjoyed the very relaxed voyage-of-discovery feel of games like Anno 1404 (and I suppose others in the Anno series, but thats the only one I've played). You can play in competitive hostile games if you like or completely relaxed setups without any enemies, but in both cases its really nice to build fleets of ships to explore and colonize a diverse archipelago looking to establish settlements and harvest various resources.

And I seem to be in a habit of recommending it recently, but based on your mention of minecraft I'd also recommend Terraria. I think it has a larger focus on exploration and considering the massively underpriced ~$5 it usually sells for its alot of joy per dollar.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

If you aren't opposed to MMOs and are kind of a Tolkien buff, you might actually enjoy LotRO for a while—I loved exploring its world. I thought the mission structure was decent and overall it's a really compelling adaptation of Middle Earth. The further you go into the game, the less viable and fun it becomes for a solo player, though.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Tried any of the 3D Metroids?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a semi-arcadey racing game for the PC, along the lines of Project Gotham Racing, Metropolis Street Racer, or the older Sega Rally Championship games. Basically, simple physics with real cars.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am looking for something on xbox360 that is as close to shadow of colossus as possible, but is at least 2 player. MY GIRLFRIEND loves the game, and that is pretty much the only video game she has ever liked (not counting loving Sims), so I am trying to find something like it that we can play together.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

fyallm posted:

I am looking for something on xbox360 that is as close to shadow of colossus as possible, but is at least 2 player. MY GIRLFRIEND loves the game, and that is pretty much the only video game she has ever liked (not counting loving Sims), so I am trying to find something like it that we can play together.
The boss battles in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow reminded me a lot of SotC.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's an odd one to ask about, but here goes:

I've been playing Plant Tycoon a bit lately, because I've been in a bit of a mood where I want to watch some movies, but don't want to just sit there and watch a movie. PT works in that respect, because its almost a fire-and-forget simulation game: You do some things, you focus on something else for a while, you come back and adjust things, and you re-focus on the movie.

Are there any games similar to that out there? I don't really mean the same mechanic (I'd buy more of Last Day of Work's games if that were true, but they are all carbon copies of each other), but things that I can have windowed, allow me to divide my focus, that sort of thing.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Are there any good Hunting or Fishing games on PC anymore?

I used to have tons of fun playing the original Deer Hunter, Rocky Mountain Trophy Hunter and Trophy Bass by Sierra, but that was like 12 years ago at least.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Joramun posted:

The boss battles in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow reminded me a lot of SotC.

Is that a single player only though?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CerebralDonut posted:

Discworld Noir.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I'm looking for a 2-player 2D platformer on PS3 to play together with my mother. For reference she loves Donkey Kong and Kirby on the Wii, and I heard her say good things about Rayman as well. I have no familiarity with platformers on the PS3 so any suggestion is welcome, old or new doesn't matter.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Little Big Planet isn't the best platformer, but co-op's fun. 3D but sticks to a 2D plane.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

kissekatt posted:

I'm looking for a 2-player 2D platformer on PS3 to play together with my mother. For reference she loves Donkey Kong and Kirby on the Wii, and I heard her say good things about Rayman as well. I have no familiarity with platformers on the PS3 so any suggestion is welcome, old or new doesn't matter.

I think PixelJunk's Eden can take 2 players. It's simple and trippy.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Can anyone recommend a game where the protagonist ages/shows wear/grows as a person through the game?

Things like the Fable series and Dragon Quest 5.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

rizuhbull posted:

Can anyone recommend a game where the protagonist ages/shows wear/grows as a person through the game?

Things like the Fable series and Dragon Quest 5.

Tactics Ogre is the best JRPG I can think of to have this in terms of portraying the main character's personal growth. I can't really say much without spoiling it, but suffice to say there are serious consequences for your actions, and whatever path you end up taking, his mettle is put to the test. I consider it the high water mark for storytelling in JRPGs*.

* I haven't played Mother 3 yet.

Also Breath of Fire III in terms of the literal aging of the protagonist. I haven't played it since it was new, so I don't know how well it holds up, but I remember having a lot of fun with it. Don't expect great characterization from it, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 27, 2012

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Are there any games out there that really show off CPU power? I built a new computer recently and while there are plenty of games that show off the graphics I'd really like to have the power of the modern processor blow my mind with insane physics or AI or something.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Are there any games out there that really show off CPU power? I built a new computer recently and while there are plenty of games that show off the graphics I'd really like to have the power of the modern processor blow my mind with insane physics or AI or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UNRp7Wrog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Me and my friends are in need of some horror games. One of us has already completed Amnesia and Penumbra.
I was thinking FEAR or something. Dead Space sounds good too. But in case you guys have anything else to recommend, then do tell.

By the way, we are easily scared so there should be plenty to choose from I believe.