Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markus_cz
May 10, 2009

3E

Murneth really seems boring. Does he even have a purpose now that we've cleaned the Naskel mines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, Mur'nath doesn't do anything for me. Booting him permanently is fine.

3, E

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
3, E

Mur'nath is a terrible character.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
3E. Dump Mur'neth like a hot potato, and take on the new thief. She and Imoen can give each other tips!

Datyedyeguy
Aug 20, 2007

COLOR
3 E

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Despite previously voting for Mur'Neth in the poll, I am choosing:

E

He really hasn't said anything of note, and doesn't seem to be doing much in the party. All round disappointment that slime.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

3, A, god is Xan creeping the poo poo out of me.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
3 A

Now I'm just skipping over every one of Xan's conversations just so I can't be brought to testify as a witness at the date-rape trial.
It feels like i can only read half an update now since he just has to be the center of attention, doesn't he?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
2, E

:angel: That slime is not good for you, Syvishtara. Leave it...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

E. Revenant posted:

Now I'm just skipping over every one of Xan's conversations just so I can't be brought to testify as a witness at the date-rape trial.
It feels like i can only read half an update now since he just has to be the center of attention, doesn't he?

You haven't seen anything yet. Xan isn't as over-the-top Mary Sue-ish as some mods, but boy does the mod play up Xan's importance. This continues for the BG2 Xan mod, which is written by the same author and picks up from where this mod's content leaves off.

And if you want a really bad elf date-rape trip and have Icewind Dale 2, download the IWD2 NPC Project from Gibberlings 3, which attempts to add BG-style mod characters, dialogue, and yes, romances to that game. One is a male NE elf druid who puts Xan's stuff here to shame.

But at any rate, as far as I know, all of Xan's stuff is canonically stuff elves do and are capable of in the Forgotten Realms - they're borderline psychic, have a normally unconscious racial memory, etc.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
What exactly do you mean by permanent?

Voting 3E anyway.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
2 E

Xan conversations are hilarious to me because I just imagine them talking to each other with their hands held up like in their portraits.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
2E

But HOLY gently caress XAN SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I have suffered through Xan in BG1 already. Ditch the elf (also Kivan should shut up).

3. A

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I (like many) thought Mur'Neth would actually be kind of cool, but he's been a real load of nothing instead. That being said: 2 E

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Well, he did say I was special and try to convert me to Ghaunadaur's religion at the beginning of the previous update, but he hasn't said much compared to the other chatterboxes since then.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vorgen posted:

Well, he did say I was special and try to convert me to Ghaunadaur's religion at the beginning of the previous update, but he hasn't said much compared to the other chatterboxes since then.

I wonder if you actually have to convert to get his content.

2E

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I wonder if you actually have to convert to get his content.

2E

You know I was just reading up on him and it's an undocumented feature that he's immune to gaze attacks. So he would be an excellent tank to finish the Mutamin's Garden area.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sure whatever bring him back for that after you finish this treasure hunt for the new girl, but otherwise Mur'Neth is getting kinda stale.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
3 A

Uck! Shar-Teel was bad and now we have this, let's keep the creepy romance characters out of our party.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah I'll join in with the 3 E crowd. I really really like Mur'Neth, because he is

a) a mod NPC
b) clearly neither a self-insert nor wish fulfillment
c) Chaotic Evil without being a violent maniac

which is a very interesting combination. But, apparently the execution has left something to be desired. Hopefully his timer will have raked up some banters the next time we pick him up.

Also, spoiler from Mur'Neth's readme file:

quote:

"There is now an additional encounter occurring near the end of the game. It happens if you've had Mur'Neth in the party, but he has disapproved of your actions and left..."
...so maybe we could shoot for that?

By the way - hi Vorgen, great job you're doing so far. Marathoning this thread has devoured my gaming time for the last few days, which is a noticeable accomplishment :)

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

By the way - hi Vorgen, great job you're doing so far. Marathoning this thread has devoured my gaming time for the last few days, which is a noticeable accomplishment :)

Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate all the kudos I get from all you guys, it really makes my day to post an update, go to bed, and wake up to 20-odd replies to the thread.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Slime was good but now is past its time,
For now we help this girl to do her crime,
Her presence surely will be a pleasure,
And best of all we get all the treasure.

3E

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

2 E

Mur'Neth could be interesting, but he just doesn't DO anything.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tzarnal posted:

Mur'Neth could be interesting, but he just doesn't DO anything.

He does too do something. He can turn into slime.

Can Kivan do that? No, he's just medieval machine gun.
Can Branwen do that? No, she's just a tank with spells.
Can Xan do that? No, he's just a creepy wizard.
Can Imoen do that? No, she's just a pretty good thief/mage.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Brainamp posted:

He does too do something. He can turn into slime.

Can Kivan do that? No, he's just suicidal.
Can Branwen do that? No, she's just a love interest.
Can Xan do that? No, he's just creepy and depressing.
Can Imoen do that? No, she's just the thief that everyone likes.

Okay, let me clarify. He's not a bad character, he's interesting and he doesn't prattle on and on about his tortured childhood or his long lost love or whatever. And I hope in there somewhere is a storyline we'll walk into at some point. And it'll probably be decently done, interesting and self contained.

All those are good qualities. It also makes him uninteresting as an npc to have in the party for this LP because he gets no screentime story wise and he also isn't so overpowered that his stats alone cause him to take narrative, like Kivan does. You would still notice Kivan if he didn't have his whole "I want to die, preferably while killing the bandits who killed my wife" thing going, because he is over 70% of the party damage in BG1.

So yeah, Mur'Neth good NPC mod, uninteresting to have in the party because he doesn't do anything to take screentime. Does that make sense ?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
3 E. Mur'Neth's boring.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Vorgen posted:

Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate all the kudos I get from all you guys, it really makes my day to post an update, go to bed, and wake up to 20-odd replies to the thread.

This is my favorite LP right now, so in that spirit:

3 E

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

3, E

I like Mur'Neth but he's being very quiet right now.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

3, E

Goodbye, mr. Blobby.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
I'd like to petition changing Kivan's portrait back to the original.
His constant whining is annoying as it is, but having to look at that 17 year old emo kid self-insert all the time makes it so much worse...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If we do that, may I check if anyone else would also like Imoen and Jaheira to get their original portraits back? I never liked their BG2 versions - Imoen's in particular feels out of place since it's supposed to convey her having gone through torture.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Choronzons son posted:

I'd like to petition changing Kivan's portrait back to the original.
His constant whining is annoying as it is, but having to look at that 17 year old emo kid self-insert all the time makes it so much worse...

The worst part is, that's not an emo kid's self-insert. That's what his fangirls decided they preferred. Personally, I'd rather the original, and feel willing to stake my hetrosexual female cred on that, but then I don't get why mopey :smith: elves are somehow more interesting than elves who actually enjoy life and have senses of humor, so I'm obviously not the target audience.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

Personally, I'd rather the original, and feel willing to stake my hetrosexual female cred on that.

I'd rather the original, and feel willing to stake my hetrosexual male cred on that even. :geno:

But yes, I hate Kivan mostly just because of the portrait. It's... just wrong.
I liked the original Kivan though.
I even used his portrait for my main protagonist.

On the other hand, I feel like we shouldn't change the portrait. We are supposed to play the Big World Project and see how horrible it can be at times. We are not allowed to make it better, more sane or avoid the horrible conversations. We must see it all!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The worst part is, that's not an emo kid's self-insert. That's what his fangirls decided they preferred. Personally, I'd rather the original, and feel willing to stake my hetrosexual female cred on that, but then I don't get why mopey :smith: elves are somehow more interesting than elves who actually enjoy life and have senses of humor, so I'm obviously not the target audience.

Here's the only male elf romanceable by ladies in BG2 I can think of who isn't Kivan, Xan, or a ridiculously over-the-top Gary Stu:

He's a very uptight strong-but-silent paladin type, though he eases up a lot in ToB. And you can usually call him out on his bullshit.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

markus_cz posted:

I even used his portrait for my main protagonist.

Which portrait does he end up with if you're using his default? Xan's secondary is absolutely great, so I'm wondering if Kivan's is equally "fitting".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I really hope mod makers haven't messed with Coran. (I think we should be getting him fairly soon?)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Xander77 posted:

I really hope mod makers haven't messed with Coran. (I think we should be getting him fairly soon?)

We should get to him in the Cloakwood once we finish Syvishtara's Trail of Vengeance thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xander77 posted:

He's a romance option. Tremble in fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

He's a romance option. Tremble in fear.

At this point it's better to ask who hasn't been made into a romance option by someone?

• Locked thread