Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

bronin posted:

I don't understand the hate for lamb of god. Seriously I don't. Do you have to hate them because they are big? (in the US at least. Not over here in Europe)
Especially Randy Blythe is one of the reasons I really like them. He can do the deep growls and high screams and is recognizable, unlike 90% of all DM or BM vocalists.
I also don't really see the pantera thing...
As for the production: I don't really see anything wrong with it :confused: It's certainly nowhere near "Death Magnetic" compression wise.

My theory is that most metalheads dislike them purely because they are big / popular and high school kids like them. But you never know these days.

I personally like some of their slower material (eg. Walk With Me in Hell, Descending), especially drumming - the guy has a very distinct style and sound, at least in my opinion. But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

The Capitulator posted:

My theory is that most metalheads dislike them purely because they are big / popular and high school kids like them. But you never know these days.
This is and always will be an incredibly lazy and unsustainable argument. Don't do this. If this were the case, then I would hate Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, or Motorhead, because there are bound to be high school kids that like them. Do you see how dumb that sounds? There is a reason for everything, so people do "know these days," even if it is subjective.

quote:

But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.
You just said it yourself. This is the reason why a lot of people (including myself) dislike Lamb of God. I could go on more, but I would just be reposting my opinion verbatim from last page. There is no need to try and create a field of burning straw men.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

The Capitulator posted:

They just don't like how their music sounds. Why do you have to make a whole thing about it just because someone disagrees with you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Capitulator posted:

I personally like some of their slower material (eg. Walk With Me in Hell, Descending), especially drumming - the guy has a very distinct style and sound, at least in my opinion. But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.

I just looked them up on youtube and this is pretty boring stuff. I guess I just dislike them because they're popular though even though this is the first I've actually heard their music (to my knowledge anyway, it's really generic).

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't know if I can get behind this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CivtuX6PNXQ&feature=related

I don't want to get all "but is it art" or nothing but how is this even metal? If not for the subject matter I could see Three Doors Down covering this.

I dislike Lamb of God because it's all bland retreads. If I cared about hating what high schoolers like I'd hate Converge, and I loving love Converge.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I get to see Ghost in an old Masonic temple next week. :neckbeard:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agalloch has a 30-date US tour this year. Now I'm calling my doctor, because my erection has lasted for more than four hours.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Agalloch has a 30-date US tour this year. Now I'm calling my doctor, because my erection has lasted for more than four hours.

Link? I can't find anything about a 2012 tour.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

http://www.facebook.com/AgallochOfficial (can't figure out a permalink)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I hope they play Portland again because I cant loving miss this

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Aren't they from Oregon? I can't imagine they wouldn't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ah, no dates yet. I really hope they come around DC.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Sucks about the Ghost tour though, I would have loved to see them play but they played in Boston 2 days ago and I didn't even remember.

It was sold out anyway. My buddy was supposed to get us tickets, forgot until thursday and the box office had zero. I'm kinda glad we didn't get in because if the downstairs is sold out it is a loving shitshow there.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

CM Funk posted:

I don't want to get all "but is it art" or nothing but how is this even metal? If not for the subject matter I could see Three Doors Down covering this.

There is no argument that that song is not metal. The first band I thought that would be playing is Nickelback, so yea. I was just posting it to illustrate who Ancient VVisdom was.

edit: It's catchy as gently caress, I was walking around work yesterday singing it.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 23, 2012

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Too bad Ghost isn't playing anywhere near Atlanta or else I would have got a ticket. Unfortunately some of my friends are easily offended by the "Satanic" lyrics and I would have had to go alone. And they call themselves metal heads!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I gave that Ancient VVisdom album a listen and I actually liked it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I gave that Ancient VVisdom album a listen and I actually liked it.

It's catchy as hell, for sure. That one dude looks silly rocking out to these acoustic songs with corpsepaint on, but for the most part they're good songwriters.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Two things.

First, if anybody wants to write reviews or columns for a metal magazine, let me know.
Secondly, "Dark Adrenaline", the upcoming Lacuna Coil album is a piece of poo poo.

That is all.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Alcest/DeafHeaven tour.

No link, from DeafHeaven's tumblr reblog post thing.

ALCEST//DEAFHEAVEN MARCH 2012

More dates announced soon…

03.20.2012 New Orlenas, LA - Big Top
03.21.2012 Tampa, FL - Crowbar
03.22.2012 Orlando, FL - Will’s Pub
03.23.2012 Atlanta, GA - 529
03.26.2012 Raleigh, NC - Kings
03.27.2012 Richmond, VA - Strange Matter
03.28.2012 Baltimore, MD - Golden West
03.31.2012 Brooklyn, NY - Public Assembly

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
03.26.2012 Raleigh, NC - Kings

Yes yes yes yes yes yes

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Aww poo poo yes it's coming to Richmond. My band actually opened for Deafheaven the last time they came to RVA, so I can verify that they own as well.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Old news from way back in September, but maybe someone that cares hasn't heard.

The Canadian Press posted:

Date: Wednesday Sep. 28, 2011 10:43 AM ET
TORONTO — Headbangers take note: the Juno Awards have added a category to recognize the metal/hard music album of the year.

The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences -- which puts on the awards -- announced the new prize this morning.

The change means there will be a total of 41 categories at this year's show, to be held in Ottawa on April 1.

The academy says the new category will encompass a variety of genres, including thrash metal, death metal and heavy rock.

It's designed to honour excellence without regard to album sales or chart position.

Submissions for the 2012 Juno Awards open Oct. 1.

The question is: Will Nickelback stay the gently caress out of the Metal/Heavy Rock category? :ohdear:

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
They made it branch into Heavy Rock specifically so that Nickelback could be a part of it. :(

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's cute that you think an awards show isn't bullshit.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 24, 2012

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

It's cute that you think an awards show isn't bullshit.

This is the Juno's, man!

The JUNO'S!

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

blabbermouth.net posted:

"It seems like these musicians are paying their dues, making great records and they definitely deserve at least a little bit of a tip of a hat of an award, just so people can recognize how great they are," said Palmerston, who began campaigning the academy about a year and a half ago, after struggling to find an appropriate category to submit an album by Quebec metal innovators VOIVOD.

Palmerston, who will serve as co-chair of the metal committee for the Junos, says that judges will consider heavy bands from all angles of the metallic spectrum.

"Sean Palmerston"(same article) posted:

"There's a lot of diversity in metal,"
"We're not doing this and hoping that it's going to be a band that sounds like GUNS N' ROSES that gets this.
"We really want submissions across the board and for people to really open their ears to the different sonic palette of what constitutes metal in 2011."
My fingers remain crossed.
e: Ehh. Fudged up quotes. You get the idea.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 24, 2012

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

First, if anybody wants to write reviews or columns for a metal magazine, let me know.

Sup.

colantalas at gmail dot com

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

Two things.

Yo.

samjolnir at gmail dot com

thepitgoddess posted:

ALCEST//DEAFHEAVEN MARCH 2012

03.31.2012 Brooklyn, NY - Public Assembly

:circlefap:

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Today I am going to talk to you about a band from Australia. :australia: :boonie:

Innsmouth
If you can't guess what the inspiration for this band is, I am shocked that you haven't been introduced to Lovecraft via your love of metal. These guys dig Lovecraft.

They have a demo (The Departure of Shub Niggurath) and 7" (She-Goat) and they're both great. Musically, they can be described as atmospheric doomed-up death metal with the Australian flavour of Armoured Angel and Cauldron Black Ram. When they played a show here in Melbourne it was one of the best I'd ever been to, they nearly caved the floor in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vsEHy8jio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvjqxrZM64A

And now to go across the Pacific and towards California, to where Witchaven are located.

When I'm in the mood for some well played blackened thrash metal, this inevitably finds its way into my playlist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux5fQqA76gM Reminds me of watching Headbangers Ball a long time ago.

I rewind the song just for the toms. Something about the drum sound on this album really works.

The album is really good.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 24, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
The track "When Steel and Bone Meet" from the new Goatwhore album, Blood for the Master, it steaming at Decibel. It's pretty rad.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Neither GOD nor cancer will keep me from this...

Decibel Magazine Tour dates w/BEHEMOTH, WATAIN, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and IN SOLITUDE:

Apr. 11 - Columbus, OH - The Bluestone
Apr. 12 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Smalls
Apr. 13 - Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge
Apr. 14 - St. Paul, MN - Station Four
Apr. 16 - Lawrence, KS - Granada Theater
Apr. 17 - Denver, CO - Summit Theatre
Apr. 18 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
Apr. 20 - Seattle, WA - Studio Seven
Apr. 21 - Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw
Apr. 22 - Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theater
Apr. 23 - San Francisco, CA - Slims
Apr. 25 - Los Angeles, CA - House Of Blues
Apr. 26 - Phoenix, AZ - Nile Theater
Apr. 27 - Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
Apr. 29 - San Antonio, TX - White Rabbit
May 01 - Tampa, FL - Orpheum
May 02 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade
May 04 - Charlotte, NC - Amos Southend
May 05 - Baltimore, MD - Rams Head
May 06 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero Theatre
May 08 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
May 09 - Montreal, QC - Club Soda
May 10 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial
May 11 - Worcester, MA - Palladium
May 12 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

May 04 - Charlotte, NC - Amos Southend

No loving way, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh my god it's a Saturday too... LIFE RULES SO HARD RIGHT NOW.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

QPZIL posted:

No loving way, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh my god it's a Saturday too... LIFE RULES SO HARD RIGHT NOW.

:allears: this will be glorious.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

the yeti posted:

:allears: this will be glorious.

My friends, all things are glorious through Satan.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

My friends, all things are glorious through Satan.

Yes I am of my father the Devil, and the lusts of my father** I will do.

(**such as going to this show)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Speaking of Satan, there's also King Diamond North American tour dates forthcoming.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Neither GOD nor cancer will keep me from this...

Decibel Magazine Tour dates w/BEHEMOTH, WATAIN, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and IN SOLITUDE:

Apr. 11 - Columbus, OH - The Bluestone

gently caress YEAH! Starting the tour in my city! That was unexpected. It's on a Wednesday, but gently caress it. Callin' in sick for that Thursday! :woop:

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 25, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

aliencowboy posted:

Speaking of Satan, there's also King Diamond North American tour dates forthcoming.

HOLY poo poo ... he better come back to Winnipeg, fucker cancelled last time cause of his back.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Have any of you heard the latest Zemial and Agatus EPs?

And thanks to the person mentioning Hail of Bullets to someone earlier, not sure how that one slipped through the cracks.

New Pharaoh is dropping sometime soon, http://cruzdelsurmusic.bandcamp.com/album/bury-the-light is a streaming track off it. This label has some totally excellent bands in their roster if you've not heard of them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I've discovered Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol recently. It is a shame they didn't get more attention when they were pumping out classic albums. Any recommendations for other mid-80s non-thrash metal that was underrated?