Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Had a cracking invasion in Sen's yesterday. Had a drawn out fight with a guy who was using the ring of fog who I eventually beat with Chaos Firestorm as he tried to plunging attack me. It seemed it was only me and him on the server at that level, as I kept invading him, even though I changed my invasion spot to the top of Sen's.

He kept using the Dragonslayer Bow to knock me off the thin beam at the top of the fortress (just before you get outside to the boulder ogre dudes). The next time I invaded, I heard the arrow trap spring, so I knew he was on the other side. I nipped over there, pretended I hadn't seen him and he got greedy, coming after the backstab kill. I triggered the arrow trap and rolled through it, avoiding the bolts which ended up getting him.

Immediately indicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

srb posted:

You are cursed until you remove the curse. Purging stones can be bought from Oswald of Carim at the top of the Undead Parish church for 4000 souls.

Lost Trousers posted:

You can also buy purging stones from the female hollow merchant at the sewer shortcut accessible from the tower near the depths entrance.

The game told me I had to go to loving Londo for it :barf:

Thanks for this

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm loving NG+, I killed the Asylum Demon when he first dropped down, and killed the Taurus Demon in two hits. I like that even normal enemies are actually really dangerous, and how I'm not able to just swing my axe over and over like I was able to near the end of the game.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Just started this after getting used to and enjoying Demon's Souls pretty thoroughly (up to Flame Lurker). This game is in it's own league, the Skeletons at the very start of the game are loving DESTROYING me, I think I should reroll as a knight or something.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Just started this after getting used to and enjoying Demon's Souls pretty thoroughly (up to Flame Lurker). This game is in it's own league, the Skeletons at the very start of the game are loving DESTROYING me, I think I should reroll as a knight or something.

I'd suggest not going down to the skeletons quite yet, they can be pretty tough at the beginning of the game.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Any advice on making a low level invader character? I'm thinking maybe around 20 or 30 so I can invade pretty much any area. I'm just wondering what starting class, where to put the points, what weapons, etc etc.

I don't really enjoy being a dick so I'm not gonna run around with lightning shotels or anything. I just like to freak people out as a phantom, so the more ridiculous the better. My current darkwraith is is like 70 and I keep invaded high level tanks who kill me before I can finish doing my silly emotes!

I got invaded by a guy who was running around with his bare hands, so I unequipped my gear and we had an awesome brawl. I summoned a phantom for an upcoming boss fight while the invaded just chilled there. The summoned guy took one look at the invader and attacked, so the invader killed him in one hit. We then both shrugged and he disappeared somewhere. I thought, "That is what I want to do."

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 23, 2012

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Well the main draw for most people to making a low level Darkwraith is so that they can destroy new players in one hit, so starting as a pyromancer and running around with a capped lightning weapon and pyro hand is usually the way to go.

If you just want to joke around with people I guess it doesn't really matter what your build is, but vitality is always good so you can survive for a while.

For armor you could try dressing up like an NPC like Solaire or Seigmeyer. Xanthous Crown would also be pretty shocking to a new player I think. Be aware that a lot of people are going to freak out about being invaded, and that there is no upper level limit on invasions so you can invade the burg at level 10 and end up in the world of a level 200 on his NG+++.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

On the downside though, you're getting close to the point where the game's difficulty drops significantly and you start tearing through stuff instead of being terrified constantly

He's about to go to Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo this is such lies.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Something I can't believe I just figured out: "Darkwraith" sounds an awful lot like "Dark Race", which was one of the rejected titles for this game.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I dreamt last night that the city I live in had turned into the Dark Souls world and everyone I knew was dying. This game

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does the bell ringing you occasionally here around Undead Parish or the Church mean that another player somewhere rang the first bell? If so, that's very cool.

Edit: on my other two characters, the mob that hangs out with the caster at the top of the church never reswpawned, but they are in this one. Weird!

EC fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 23, 2012

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

EC posted:

Does the bell ringing you occasionally here around Undead Parish or the Church mean that another player somewhere rang the first bell? If so, that's very cool.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. What's great is hearing the bell ring shortly after you helped someone with the Gargoyles as a Phantom.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rough Lobster posted:

Any advice on making a low level invader character? I'm thinking maybe around 20 or 30 so I can invade pretty much any area. I'm just wondering what starting class, where to put the points, what weapons, etc etc.

Play what you enjoy. If you want to beat the 4 kings really easily at level 20, just max out pyro and dump your points into vit. The easiest way to get to them is to run from the bonfire in the darkroot garden: Run past the drakes (easier than it sounds) and go straight up the elevator on your left when you go through the big doors. Head out the first door partway up the spiral staircase and then drop off the ledge to the ground. You'll land right in front of the witch summon sign. Warning though: If you want to actually summon her, you'll need transient curse to kill off the 4 or so ghosts that spawn, it's next to impossible with the jagged dagger.

People will get annoyed with you if you actually pvp with pyro, but it's definitely the easiest way unlock all the areas at a ridiculously low level.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I just Homeward Boned out of the fight with Seath. He's not difficult at all, but I want to cut his tail and he's just pushing his butt up against the wall and burying the tail tip inside of it, no matter what I do.

He's definitely slower at following my movements when I wear the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring, but he'll still turn on the spot and push his butt up against the wall. What should I do?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I stayed in front of the crystal at the back of that room, waited for his attack animation to start, and then ran around his right side and got it from there. Make sure you're aiming at the tip of the tail, not the base. I wasted several attempts before realized that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

srb posted:

I just Homeward Boned out of the fight with Seath. He's not difficult at all, but I want to cut his tail and he's just pushing his butt up against the wall and burying the tail tip inside of it, no matter what I do.

He's definitely slower at following my movements when I wear the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring, but he'll still turn on the spot and push his butt up against the wall. What should I do?

Just keep circling around him and hacking away. Make sure you're at least below 50% equipment load.

Not for nothing is Seath considered to be way more of a pain if you go for his sword.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

chumpchous posted:

Play what you enjoy. If you want to beat the 4 kings really easily at level 20, just max out pyro and dump your points into vit. The easiest way to get to them is to run from the bonfire in the darkroot garden: Run past the drakes (easier than it sounds) and go straight up the elevator on your left when you go through the big doors. Head out the first door partway up the spiral staircase and then drop off the ledge to the ground. You'll land right in front of the witch summon sign. Warning though: If you want to actually summon her, you'll need transient curse to kill off the 4 or so ghosts that spawn, it's next to impossible with the jagged dagger.

People will get annoyed with you if you actually pvp with pyro, but it's definitely the easiest way unlock all the areas at a ridiculously low level.

Are you talking about the giant doors in the valley of drakes? Aren't those blocked off until you come from the other side and open them with the big lever to drain the water?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

srb posted:

An extremely easy way to grab the sword is to, at the very start of the fight, sprint for the crystal. Stand there and wait until he breaths on it, which will stun him. Run around his back and snap his tail off. If you have any decent weapon, just two hand it and it will make short work of his tail.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JP Money posted:

Are you talking about the giant doors in the valley of drakes? Aren't those blocked off until you come from the other side and open them with the big lever to drain the water?

Yeah, but you cant kill 4 kings until you drain the water anyhow.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Have any of you had encounters with the red phantom versions of regular monsters?

I only saw one in the 120+ hours I have put into this game, and he was just a glowing but otherwise identical version of the mace wielding knight that guards the fire keeper soul on the church altar.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
There's a kinda-hidden convenant whose sole purpose is to "infect" other players' worlds with red phantom monsters. It doesn't happen often though because the convenant isn't fun (when you infect other people's worlds you can't see what's happening and you get no feedback... you just have to sit there in silence and hope your monsters are doing cool things)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Mzbundifund posted:

He's about to go to Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo this is such lies.

HAHA I didn't say he was AT that point yet!

I actually meant post Anor Londo specifically. After that boss fight, the rest of the game just doesn't feel so bad. Mostly because you just trudged through Sens and Londo :suicide:

vvv It is definitely faster from Firelink if you use the shortcut drop. You can see the guy in the speedrun on Youtube use it if you don't know where it is, takes you right from the very beginning to 5 seconds from the fog door. No ghosts, no darkwraiths!

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 23, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

chumpchous posted:

Yeah, but you cant kill 4 kings until you drain the water anyhow.

So in effect that's not a shortcut until you go the whole way through new londo anyways so there's no real point in doing so unless he dies. Even then running from firelink is still faster I'm pretty sure as long as the water is drained.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Great Combustion solved my tail aiming troubles.

I don't understand how people get cursed in that fight either, I saw statues both times but I just stood there with my shield up and it never went above 1/4.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

srb posted:

Great Combustion solved my tail aiming troubles.

I don't understand how people get cursed in that fight either, I saw statues both times but I just stood there with my shield up and it never went above 1/4.

I actually managed to get cursed by him on NG+ when I forgot he cursed and was just tanking his damage while beating him in the face. It's hard though, you have to literally stand directly in everything the entire time. If you put on the cursebite ring it makes it impossible for the curse to stick even if you DO stand in his attacks the entire time

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JP Money posted:

So in effect that's not a shortcut until you go the whole way through new londo anyways so there's no real point in doing so unless he dies. Even then running from firelink is still faster I'm pretty sure as long as the water is drained.

The point is that it's the fastest way of getting back to the 4 kings if you die, which is likely to happen when you're attempting to kill them at level 10. (And it's definitely way faster than fire link).

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Gaping Dragon fail: I had him down to about two more little ticks of health, was going great. He does a vomit attack and I turn my camera to make sure I'm running away from it - and run off the side of the waterfall.

:negative:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Wait, the statues near curse enemies are actually other players? I thought they were just for flavor!

It's the little touches like that that make me love this game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

If you're on PS3 and still going after 4kings, I have a SL 16 invader supertwink (who primarily fists people as well :haw:) that can give you some backup if you want.

It's a fun fight but pretty rare to assist on, most people don't bother coming down in human form.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Alright, I'm getting ready to move onto Blighttown, and hit Darkroot Garden. I also think the Drake Sword has lost it's edge, so to speak. I have the Zweihander, and from what I've seen within this thread, I think I should upgrade that with the intent of Lightning +5-ing it. I thought about purchasing a Crystal Sword to upgrade, but since you can't repair that...

Any other suggestions?

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man

Awesome Animals posted:

Alright, I'm getting ready to move onto Blighttown, and hit Darkroot Garden. I also think the Drake Sword has lost it's edge, so to speak. I have the Zweihander, and from what I've seen within this thread, I think I should upgrade that with the intent of Lightning +5-ing it. I thought about purchasing a Crystal Sword to upgrade, but since you can't repair that...

Any other suggestions?

I just went through Blighttown and Darkroot Garden with a +5 Claymore and it worked a treat.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Besides the upgrade path requirements, what is the difference between a maxed-out fire weapon and the same weapon maxed out in lightning? Does one end up doing more damage once you complete it?

It seems like I see a lot more lightning weapons, probably just because the smith is accessible, but fire weapons feel like they hit harder. Anyone know?

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004

artism posted:

You're not gonna find one. Artorias is trash which is tragic because it's beautiful.

If you really want a stronger although not necessarily better weapon, max your strength at 50. Also you should get your endurance to 40 and the rest should go into Vit. It's too late now to worry about getting enough int or faith to get some good weapon buffs unless you don't care about the SL120 pvp level cap.

I know this is on the last page but the strength in Greatsword of Artorias is that it is the best scaling weapon in the game. I don't know what the break point is but there is a point where it has the highest damage output of all the weapons.

I'm level 100 and it already outdamages my black knight sword +5 (although I only have 30 strength, so maybe with different stat allocation the BKS would be better).

Also, the Dark Wood Grain ring is ridiculous. Seems like the most powerful single item in the game.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

Any other suggestions?

Lightning Zwei is a good all purpose weapon. Darkroot Garden/Basin aren't necessary yet, your first goal should be ringing the Bells of Awakening, then continuing through the new path opened by doing that. As for other weapons, it depends on your build (Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence). If you can get a Black Knight Sword (I think the Black Knight in Undead Burg and one in the Undead Asylum can drop it), use that.

It might be of some use to go back to the Undead Asylum before Blighttown. You'll get a ring out of it that lets you move through water unimpeded.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Chard posted:

Besides the upgrade path requirements, what is the difference between a maxed-out fire weapon and the same weapon maxed out in lightning? Does one end up doing more damage once you complete it?

It seems like I see a lot more lightning weapons, probably just because the smith is accessible, but fire weapons feel like they hit harder. Anyone know?

For a given weapon and upgrade level, fire is typically a few points better. But fire resistance is more common than lightning resistance, both on armor and on enemies.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I made a second character and powered through Blighttown, Sen's Fortress, and Anor Londo without a single death, all while soloing the bosses. But on revisiting the Painted World I spent like 3 hours getting killed by everything and getting lost constantly, despite breezing through it on my first run. gently caress those god drat pustule hollows.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Umberger posted:

Lightning Zwei is a good all purpose weapon. Darkroot Garden/Basin aren't necessary yet, your first goal should be ringing the Bells of Awakening, then continuing through the new path opened by doing that. As for other weapons, it depends on your build (Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence). If you can get a Black Knight Sword (I think the Black Knight in Undead Burg and one in the Undead Asylum can drop it), use that.

It might be of some use to go back to the Undead Asylum before Blighttown. You'll get a ring out of it that lets you move through water unimpeded.

I will certainly head back to the Undead Asylum then. The Black Knight's are the big guys who just kind of hang out alone. There is one in a tower in Undead Parish, and one in Undead Burg guarding a ring? Those are Undead Knights, yes?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Quick question, does anyone know what loot was on the corpses in the Gaping Dragon's room? I could've sworn one of them popped up with a set of armor that had dragon in the name, but I don't see anything new in my inventory at all. I might be crazy or have just misread the loot though, I picked it up mid combat.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Awesome Animals posted:

I will certainly head back to the Undead Asylum then. The Black Knight's are the big guys who just kind of hang out alone. There is one in a tower in Undead Parish, and one in Undead Burg guarding a ring? Those are Undead Knights, yes?

yes. Those are the Black Knights of Gywn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

Yes, those are Black Knights. The problem with getting the sword is that you can't farm it until the very end of the game. So stock up on Humanity before you go, and go watch a video on how to get back to the Undead Asylum. I'll save you some time and say that you need to get a key in Firelink to open one of the Undead Asylum doors. It's on the roof above Petrus, just look for it on your way to the crow's nest.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Quick question, does anyone know what loot was on the corpses in the Gaping Dragon's room? I could've sworn one of them popped up with a set of armor that had dragon in the name, but I don't see anything new in my inventory at all. I might be crazy or have just misread the loot though, I picked it up mid combat.

Are you sure it wasn't the Dragon King Greataxe? You get it from cutting off the Gaping Dragon's tail, and I think in patch 1.05 they made it so that those are just automatically added to your inventory when the tail is cut off.

• Locked thread