Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yes... YE-

Wait, divine right? That's not the enlightened secular despotism I was hoping for at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So it is a race between internal stability and the now many enemies of the Sultan as to who will guide the nation. I fear Sultan Burak may be bringing about his and perhaps his family's own demise in this battle, the time he must spend waiting is going to be quite a cross to bear while forces gather against him.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I always knew Burak was a Muslim who wants to do away with his rivals and declare himself king!

Rahmbo
Mar 19, 2008

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners.

-Vladimir Lenin
The God-King of the Azeri people, future Emperor of all the long-lost Azeri people from Labrador to China, must be enabled to carry out his policies without discord or strife. Our nation must speak with one voice, the voice of our Immortal God-King. May he achieve retribution on Heaven and Earth for the atrocities committed by the murderer Allah.

Rahmbo
Mar 19, 2008

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners.

-Vladimir Lenin

nimby posted:

I always knew Burak was a Muslim who wants to do away with his rivals and declare himself king!

A Muslim? Pah! Holy War, jihad, is war in the name of the one true God. He who walks among mortals, but at once walks above them. The true God-King of our nation, who shall rule the world.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Clearly this is punishment for all the flagchat.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rahmbo posted:

The God-King of the Azeri people, future Emperor of all the long-lost Azeri people from Labrador to China, must be enabled to carry out his policies without discord or strife. Our nation must speak with one voice, the voice of our Immortal God-King. May he achieve retribution on Heaven and Earth for the atrocities committed by the murderer Allah.

I'm curious Wiz, if Burak goes the God-King route, will Azeri get a new state religion to reflect that? On the one hand, he can claim divine rule without declaring himself a god, on the other it would be interesting to see how that would progress horribly screw over Azeri in the long run.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Not our tolerance! :ohdear:

Can we get a revolution going on?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A Muslim country going king-worshipping in 1700 would be totally impossible (unless that country was Serbia)

Good thing Wiz is clearly proposing no such thing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

What's our net infamy at the end of that?

Also haha vetting.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Pakled posted:

A Muslim country going king-worshipping in 1700 would be totally impossible (unless that country was Serbia)

Yeah, I kinda figured. Awesome as that would be, not even his most loyal followers would support him if he did that. O well, still a great ruler all the same :hist101:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Where are you guys getting "King worshipping?"

It's very simple:

Right to rule is sanctioned by Allah. It flows from Him to His chosen vessel, who rules wisely, justly, and benevolently. Should a ruler not sanctioned by Allah ascend the throne, His displeasure will be manifest.

Simply put:

Allah
|
|
|
Burak
|
|
|
The Ulema
|
|
|
The Shura (us)
|
|
|
Everyone Else.

We could even name the Ulema "the First Estate," the Shura "the Second Estate," and Everybody Else "the Third Estate" as convenient shorthand.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Perhaps not the direction I wanted the country to go in, but drat this is getting interesting.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Talas posted:

Can we get a revolution going on?

No. Well, actually, maybe. But in vanilla DW the revolution events will only fire if your capital is in Europe. I would be amazed if Wiz has not modded this. Also, I don't think our government tech level is nearly high enough yet (it'd have to be 48 in vanilla, and it's only 33 at the moment).

But I think Burak is more Charles I of England than Louis XVI of France, here. Not that the Shura has control over national taxation as far as I'm aware, so the particular path to civil war that England followed doesn't really apply (also, Burak is somewhat less inept than Charles, so he really ought to be able to establish absolute control over Azerbaijan...which is not to say his successors can maintain it. Aristocrats tend to have long familial memories.)

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 24, 2012

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
If Azerbaijan ended up being the main revolutionary country, that would be... incredible.

Unlikely, but incredible.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

nimby posted:

Show us the birth certificate!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

If Azerbaijan ended up being the main revolutionary country, that would be... incredible.

Unlikely, but incredible.

This really would be great. I mean, very unlikely, but you could get the Ottoman effect of Europeans not thinking some backward country could possibly be a threat to them until suddenly that country has eaten the Middle East and is invading their doorstep, only happening two hundred years later and with revolution versus reaction as the main theme instead of religion.

The downside is that we would need to either lose the resulting wars or find some way to keep it interesting after conquering a bunch of territory. Maybe a revolutionary Middle East set up along the lines of Napoleonic Europe, with an enlarged Azerbaijan surrounded by puppet states, facing off against an increasingly reactionary Europe? I think that could be a fun setup for Vic2, with a world war or two inevitably bound to happen.

Still though, very unlikely.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ilanin posted:

No. Well, actually, maybe. But in vanilla DW the revolution events will only fire if your capital is in Europe. I would be amazed if Wiz has not modded this. Also, I don't think our government tech level is nearly high enough yet (it'd have to be 48 in vanilla, and it's only 33 at the moment).

But I think Burak is more Charles I of England than Louis XVI of France, here. Not that the Shura has control over national taxation as far as I'm aware, so the particular path to civil war that England followed doesn't really apply (also, Burak is somewhat less inept than Charles, so he really ought to be able to establish absolute control over Azerbaijan...which is not to say his successors can maintain it. Aristocrats tend to have long familial memories.)

A revolution can occur after Government Tech 40 but is pretty unlikely until 50+. It can happen outside Europe but is less likely to. It's also worth noting that it's not actually an event but rather a special rebel type that trigger a revolution if they break your country.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yay Aleppo!! :downs:

So I guess the next update will be mostly watching the RNG? If Russia stays busy with the cross-Baltic alliance, and if our Persian alliance survives long enough for the infamy to go down, we have no serious threats around us. In such a situation, even the most reckless government choices shouldn't prevent our armies from whackamoling rebels as appropriate - barring WizMOD changes.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I ever had this thought: man, a comet just before reaching Stab +1 would be really cool.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I don't see that happening. What I could see happening is Burak claiming he's the Mahdi.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Now he just needs to write a book and ban all books other than his and the Koran.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I ever had this thought: man, a comet just before reaching Stab +1 would be really cool.

It would be an omen that Burak should ignore the peasant rabble.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

It would be an omen that Burak should ignore the peasant rabble.

If they could stop staring at the sky they would realize the end was not nigh.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
Yes. YES!

L'etat, c'est Burak!

Also, please hurry up and formalize the gold standard for the good of the nation. :ronpaul:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Oh no, what have we allowed to happen. I fear for the future of Azerbaijan.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
At least Burak vets his political appointments, unlike OUR Burak.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This is the best direction this LP could have gone in.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Man, I was jonesing for some Azerbaijan updates at work today :D

I have to say though a military alliance of Armenia, Bosnia and Ethiopia was pretty much doomed from the start to end in horrific failure.

It's also looking like the Ikko Ikki have suffered some serious setbacks with the loss of Kyoto.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Burak has descended into a rage driven madness. He has debased the Shura, united the world against Azerbaijan and threatens to undo centuries of progress. It is only a matter of time until he declares himself the Mahdi and wreaks religious devastation onto Islam itself.

The Sultan must be stopped, by any means necessary.

This has taken the LP in a fantastic turn though, so I hope he sticks around.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 24, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 38: Will of Allah (1710 - 1720)

To further consolidate his control of Azerbaijan, Burak reorganizes the court system and makes judges accountable only to the person of the Sultan, allowing him to circumvent the Shura monopoly on making laws.

He also invests the gold saved up over the last decade by building a glorious monument to the victories of the Daei dynasty and a an enormous new palace to be his residence in Tabriz.

In Europe, Bavaria inherits the throne of Austria, creating a powerful South German state to counterbalance the Franconian Emperor.

The Armenian provinces are fully integrated into Azerbaijan in 1712, and Armenians are given full citizenship, but Burak breaks with tradition and does not grant them a millet, choosing instead to personally guarantee their religious freedom.

Russia concludes its war with Sweden and Poland in 1713 and almost immediately takes a threatening tone against Azerbaijan.

In response, Burak openly provokes the Russians by asserting Azeri sovereignty over the Central Asian Khanates, even going so far as to force an oath of vassalage out of the Khan of Kwahrizm.

Burak's assertiveness against Russia represents a new reality for Azerbaijan: It is no longer a mid-sized power squeezed between Great Powers, but instead has grown into a Great Power in its own right, with a sphere of influence and an army that can match of almost any other in the world.

Russia does not take the Azeri provocations lying down. Their response is war - but not with Azerbaijan. Instead they declare war on Persia, citing border disputes in Central Asia and thus avoiding drawing Poland into the war.

Burak naturally honors his alliance with his cousin, mobilizing the combined arms of the Daei dynasty against Russia and its vassals.

The first battle is fought in Crimea, where the Crimean army is defeated and destroyed by a larger Azeri army.

Persian troops advance up across the Caucasus border, capturing towns and forts, meeting little resistance from the Russians.

As it turns out, the Russians have suddenly gotten very busy, with the Zhen Empire opening up another front against them in Siberia.

While the Persian capture territory, Azeri armies make bold raids into Russia, using their speed and mobility to attack and destroy isolated Russian forces.

The strategy works flawlessly, and by 1716 large tracts of the border are under Daei control.

To Burak's frustration, just as the war is going so well, his cousin declares his intent to sue for peace. Burak tries to convince Mohammed Ali to press the attack on Russia, but the Persian Shah is adamant: Persia has no ambitions on Russia. Unwilling to continue the war alone in case the Zhen should make peace as well, Burak has no option but to sign.

To make matters worse, the Persian Shah forgets to negotiate a peace for Transoxiana. Without either Persia or Azerbaijan to back it up, the small Khanate is swallowed up whole.

Returning to Tabriz in a foul mood, Burak returns to his plans for Azerbaijan. By now, the internal problems have been largely addressed, and Azerbaijan is stable and quiet once more.

Popular, prestigious and at the height of his power, Burak emerges from his newly built palace to make two announcements. The first announcement declares that in recognition of the Sultan of Azerbaijan's immense power and the size of his territories, he is to be addressed as Padishah, Sultan of Sultans.

The second announcement is the abolishment of his father's constitution, the millet system and the restriction of the Shura to a purely advisory body. All power is to be concentrated in the person of the Sultan, who rules by the divine will of Allah. He goes on to make a number of pledges mirroring many of the articles of the old constitution: Freedom of religion, rule of law and fair taxation, but ultimately his pledges are nothing more than the word of the monarch and can be taken back should he desire to.

There is opposition, protestests, resignations, but in the end Burak is simply too powerful. For better or for worse, the age of strong Sultans is upon Azerbaijan once more.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Well this is going to be interesting to watch.

I'm hoping that this will essentially work out in an accelerationist fashion and we don't end up with yet another reactionary end-point for these LPs.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 24, 2012

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A new age has dawned for our West Asian Sultanate :allears:

Looks like the Christianian and Peruvian revolts weren't particularly successful.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
This LP just took a turn for the glorious.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

If I were the King of Armenia, I would be utterly terrified right now and making plans to flee as far West as possible. Some members of the Shura might be doing the same.

Pakled posted:

Looks like the Christianian and Peruvian revolts weren't particularly successful.

The New World Revolutions are almost always failures in my EU3 games. Generally, they end up as a series of landlocked discontinuous territories.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

They're not over. The way the system works is that the more provinces get independence, the further the revolts accelerate. Once they have 3-4 provinces they will get so many patriot rebels they're nearly unstoppable.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

That's quite a Discipline bonus there. I'm guessing Azeri troops can kill units 1-2 levels above them?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

nimby posted:

That's quite a Discipline bonus there. I'm guessing Azeri troops can kill units 1-2 levels above them?

Between militia act, absolute monarchy, max quality and max offensive, Azeri troops are basically the Prussians of this timeline.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That was great. I think Burak may fancy a rematch with the Russians sometime soon, without Persia pulling the strings and perhaps also with Polish support. If for no other reason(s) than to swallow somewhere small like the Crimea, put Russia in their place, cement Azerbaijan's Great Power status and maybe even win independence for some fringe states to weaken Russia in the long run. Given how big Russia is though, it would take a pretty large war and hopefully another intervention like that of the Zhen to make it actually worthwhile.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Wiz posted:

They're not over. The way the system works is that the more provinces get independence, the further the revolts accelerate. Once they have 3-4 provinces they will get so many patriot rebels they're nearly unstoppable.

That's a pretty nice system. Solves my problems with Americas pretty well.

Would you mind telling us which flags you ended up using or would you prefer to keep it a surprise for later?

The comparison isn't perfect, but Azerbaijan is reminding me of Russia shortly before the Revolution, with Mürsel filling the role of Alexander II and Burak as Alexander III.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

That's a pretty nice system. Solves my problem pretty well.

Would you mind telling us which flags you ended up using or would you prefer to keep it a surprise for later?

Given the sheer number of flags needed for Vic2 (since countries can have different flags for different government types) and the number of available revolters, I imagine that most if not almost all of them have gotten used, in more or less prominent roles.

• Locked thread