Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

You are the man. Thanks.

Don't buy it through amazon.. unless you hate updates.
https://market.android.com/details?...HJvaWQuZW1pdCJd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
How does one get the lastpass bookmarklets working in Opera?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Installed CM Music. Alone for getting something like the ICS music player, but without the dark blue. Appears to work nice, I'll see tomorrow at work, if it actually holds up. Didn't need to uninstall the default player, as was claimed earlier, tho.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

fudsak posted:

Don't buy it through amazon.. unless you hate updates.
https://market.android.com/details?...HJvaWQuZW1pdCJd

He was asking how to do it on an unrooted Kindle Fire, which doesn't have access to the Android Market, only the Amazon Market.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
For anyone who wants to use their music downloaded from google music with another player (example: cm9 music) might want to try this out.

I'd try it, but I actually really like the google music player.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Krittick posted:

He was asking how to do it on an unrooted Kindle Fire, which doesn't have access to the Android Market, only the Amazon Market.

Ohh, good call. Sorry for my mistake and for his device being crippled.

Gilyon
Mar 4, 2010
Is there an app that will let me stream what's on my computer monitor to my tablet? I know a remote desktop app can display my PC's visual output, but I don't need to control my computer - just see a duplicate of my monitor.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gilyon posted:

Is there an app that will let me stream what's on my computer monitor to my tablet? I know a remote desktop app can display my PC's visual output, but I don't need to control my computer - just see a duplicate of my monitor.

Can't you just...not control it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think there's something that will just let you view a remote screen without giving any controls, there isn't exactly much demand for something like that. Why not use a remote desktop app and disable the input? Does essentially the same thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have Estrong's File Explorer on my NS4G and I only really use it to access my phone's files. I'd really like to use it at it's full (non-rooted) potential.

I have a website and I think it'd be cool to upload to that site, connect directly to my desktop and laptop, and whatever else is possible with it.

Is there like a guide for this somewhere?

Also, I'm new to using Woofi and is there some settings I should change somehow because I tried it today and I'm not exactly sure how to make it stop checking every 10 minutes or so. Is there an optimal setting for good battery life that I should be using?

Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have Estrong's File Explorer on my NS4G and I only really use it to access my phone's files. I'd really like to use it at it's full (non-rooted) potential.

I have a website and I think it'd be cool to upload to that site, connect directly to my desktop and laptop, and whatever else is possible with it.

Is there like a guide for this somewhere?
I'm not sure I follow with what you're trying to do by "uploading to that site". If you're hosting an FTP server you can just use the FTP credentials to do so.

As for "connecting directly" to your desktop and laptop, I'm not really sure what you mean. You just share the folders you want to access on your network then under LAN put in your credentials to access those network resources. If you're dealing with OSX Lion, I will warn you that I could not get SMB shares to work in EStrongs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a way to change how swiftkey predicts what word I want? I find myself constantly frustrated when trying to type an easily predictable sentence and I type the first letter of the next word and it gives me words I would almost never use not to mention would I use it next based on the last word. I bought my friend a sandwich and wanted to tell her I was almost there while I was at a stop light. So I type "alm" and it gives me "alm, almond, some" for choices. I would use "almost" ten times more than any of those other words (maybe not some, but not when I just typed "alm"). I usually have to type out the entire word anyway because I want the plural and it gives me "want, wanting, wanted" instead of "wants."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a way to change how swiftkey predicts what word I want? I find myself constantly frustrated when trying to type an easily predictable sentence and I type the first letter of the next word and it gives me words I would almost never use not to mention would I use it next based on the last word. I bought my friend a sandwich and wanted to tell her I was almost there while I was at a stop light. So I type "alm" and it gives me "alm, almond, some" for choices. I would use "almost" ten times more than any of those other words (maybe not some, but not when I just typed "alm"). I usually have to type out the entire word anyway because I want the plural and it gives me "want, wanting, wanted" instead of "wants."
Let it learn from existing texts/facebook/etc posts? It should improve with time as it learns your typing habits.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You can also switch between "rapid" and "precise" style. Rapid tries to match the length of the word you've typed more than what might be appropriate from the context. It's for when you type quickly but sloppily. Maybe precise would work better for you, if you're not already using it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was using precise, so I switched to rapid. That seems to be predicting better.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Also, almost positive that if what you currently have typed is a word, it'll set that as the default.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I was using precise, so I switched to rapid. That seems to be predicting better.
You can also type out the word you want and then confirm it by clicking the word in the suggestion panel. That'll make sure it shows up more often in the future. If nothing else works, try completely resetting your personalized predictions. That'll put everything back to standard and make the most common words show up first in most cases.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I know there are at least a few others around here who use battery monitor widget.

Something I've seen that may be a bug or may be me just not understanding the maths involved.

It normally shows me having an average 100%->0% discharge time of about 22 hrs when I'm using my phone normally. This is based on the 10 or 20day of battery use history it keeps. (it never actually gets to 0, I plug it in and go to sleep way before that happens, but based on my usage 07:00-23:30 day to day, if I stayed up and kept playing with it it should be dead about 05:00 right?)

There will be times when I'm real busy at work, staying late, not playing with the phone as much and that 100%->0% estimate will creep up to like 1 day 5 hrs over a few weeks.

But just one hour-long gaming session, or today, streaming music in a bad signal area will kill that average quick for sure. I streamed with a bad signal, lost 15% in 30 mins and it took 10 hrs off my 100-0 time.

15% in 30 mins is a lot yeah but it seems like it's not taking the whole 10 or 20 days history into account in deciding the time it removes from the average for that short of a time period to cause that big of a change to the #s. Where the opposite way, having the avg go up, takes weeks.

Am I not understanding or something?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Who cares what the app thinks your average battery life is if you know what it is based on different situations already?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

big mean giraffe posted:

Who cares what the app thinks your average battery life is if you know what it is based on different situations already?

I think it's an awesome app, I love looking at meaningless #s and if I've actually discovered something wrong I'd like to help make it better by dropping a note to the dev, just in a more thought-out and technical way than I'm able to explain right now.

I'm never more than a few steps away from a charger so it's not like I really need those #s, I just like looking at them and like thinking about what goes into their calculation. I even like doing my taxes, on the standard irs forms.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Gilyon posted:

A VNC server should do that; just tell it to ignore input from your device. I saw people above me mentioned the same thing, but didn't mention a specific application to do it. Any of the major ones should do it without a problem.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

the gmail app sucks for inline replies, the google email app sucks for attachments.

the Web app for gmail is okay but I want something that can also be used as a widget, notifications are a bonus. I don't want to spend money!

suggestions? :)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

the gmail app sucks for inline replies, the google email app sucks for attachments.

the Web app for gmail is okay but I want something that can also be used as a widget, notifications are a bonus. I don't want to spend money!

suggestions? :)

How does it suck for inline replying? There's a checkbox that says 'inline reply' and it works just fine.

Wagonburner posted:

I even like doing my taxes, on the standard irs forms.

There's an app with Turbotax that takes a picture of your W2 and scans it in. I don't think I've ever done taxes by hand, always with software.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a decent Text Message replacement app that emulates the ICS app on Gingerbread?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

How does it suck for inline replying? There's a checkbox that says 'inline reply' and it works just fine.

I just find it a bit fiddly in that I have to do that (for me the checkbox becomes unticked each time, I assume this is normal? If not I might reinstall it to see if that fixes it).

I'm willing to stick with the Gmail app but if there are alternatives just give me some names and I'll check them out :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You could try K9 but you'll be losing out on Push.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I just find it a bit fiddly in that I have to do that (for me the checkbox becomes unticked each time, I assume this is normal? If not I might reinstall it to see if that fixes it).

I'm willing to stick with the Gmail app but if there are alternatives just give me some names and I'll check them out :)

I'm pretty sure that's not default behavior, mine's usually checked.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Is there a decent Text Message replacement app that emulates the ICS app on Gingerbread?

There is! It's called ICS Messaging. It has adds on the main screen but the upcoming pro-version shouldn't have them.

I like it a lot vs the native GB app on my NS4G.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You could try K9 but you'll be losing out on Push.
K-9 does Push.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I stand corrected then.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ThermoPhysical posted:

messaging app with ads

If the ads are targetted I could see AT&T and their marketing dept getting behind this. I've even got an idea for a commercial. It involves hot bitchy wife txting to retarded chubby husband not to forget something for tonight's themed yuppy dinner party like he did last time (italics work in tv-texting). RCH sees a targetted ad for the item in question, mashes butan and orders 10x the amount needed, to be delivered 10 days later. The per-unit cost and ability to not have to leave his applebees barstool where he fills himself with wings and brews makes him give a "not so retarded anymore" smirk at the camera.

PS. They also have crushing debt and she'll be long gone when it's short-sale & apartment-hunting time.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 23, 2012

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
What are some good anti-theft apps? I've looked at several and have narrowed my list down to Cerberus and Avast Mobile Security, though I am still open for suggestions. The former has more features and a web interface as of right now. The latter, Avast, how do I put it, is more well-known, is totally FREE, and while they don't currently have a web-interface, they are instead relying on SMS-commands, have stated that they will launch a web interface in Q1 this year.

I don't really care for the anti-virus protection that most security apps offer. I'm only interested in the anti-theft functions.

Also, many of these apps, including the two I've mentioned, can be even more integrated with root access, making it even harder for an unauthorized person to uninstall the app. But what if I want to uninstall such an app myself?

Anyone tried these kinds of apps?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

If the ads are targetted I could see AT&T and their marketing dept getting behind this. I've even got an idea for a commercial. It involves hot bitchy wife txting to retarded chubby husband not to forget something for tonight's themed yuppy dinner party like he did last time (italics work in tv-texting). RCH sees a targetted ad for the item in question, mashes butan and orders 10x the amount needed, to be delivered 10 days later. The per-unit cost and ability to not have to leave his applebees barstool where he fills himself with wings and brews makes him give a "not so retarded anymore" smirk at the camera.

PS. They also have crushing debt and she'll be long gone when it's short-sale & apartment-hunting time.

This is a fascinating scenario and I could see it happening. Has anyone actually clicked on an ad from an app before intentionally?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 23, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Gilyon posted:

iDisplay.

A former housemate of mine used it a lot to watch a Windows-based messaging app while using his computer monitor for PS3 games. Which is maybe a little goony but we were pressed for space and it was pretty efficient.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 23, 2012

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

iDisplay.

A former housemate of mine used it a lot to watch a Windows-based messaging app while using his computer monitor for PS3 games. Which is maybe a little goony but we were pressed for space and it was pretty efficient.

I found ScreenSlider to work a little bit better than iDisplay. Just another alternative to look into.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the three Google TV owners here could keep the GTV thread alive so I'll just post this here:

I pushed out a public beta of Awful last night that includes full Google TV support because I love supporting platforms that nobody uses. I'd appreciate it if anybody with a Google TV can test it. I have a Revue at home, it works well on there aside from a few UI quirks I'm working out. It's my understanding that the Sony Google TV's have a really weird controller that might make the app harder to use though.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/211105/AwfulBeta.apk

BONUS: This is also the phone/tablet APK so if anybody wants to test the upcoming v2.2 go to town. I'm really looking for Google TV owners though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ferg posted:

Looks like the three Google TV owners here could keep the GTV thread alive so I'll just post this here:

I pushed out a public beta of Awful last night that includes full Google TV support because I love supporting platforms that nobody uses. I'd appreciate it if anybody with a Google TV can test it. I have a Revue at home, it works well on there aside from a few UI quirks I'm working out. It's my understanding that the Sony Google TV's have a really weird controller that might make the app harder to use though.

BONUS: This is also the phone/tablet APK so if anybody wants to test the upcoming v2.2 go to town. I'm really looking for Google TV owners though.

I've got a Revue as well. How much of a pain is it to side load apps?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Ferg posted:

I just installed the beta on my GN and will try it on my CM9 TouchPad later. Is there a changelog over the market version?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've got a Revue as well. How much of a pain is it to side load apps?

Enable side loading in Settings > Applications > Check 'Unknown sources'

Then visit the Dropbox link in Chrome, once it is finished downloading just select the download and hit 'install'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Glimm posted:

Enable side loading in Settings > Applications > Check 'Unknown sources'

Then visit the Dropbox link in Chrome, once it is finished downloading just select the download and hit 'install'.

This is my deploy process :hfive:

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I just installed the beta on my GN and will try it on my CM9 TouchPad later. Is there a changelog over the market version?

Major refactor to the backend that makes it a bit snappier, but far more stable, Google TV support (obviously), thread tags are shown in the thread list, message drafts are saved if you prematurely leave the post composition activity, some other poo poo that I can't remember.

• Locked thread