Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Glimm posted:

Enable side loading in Settings > Applications > Check 'Unknown sources'

Then visit the Dropbox link in Chrome, once it is finished downloading just select the download and hit 'install'.

Sweet. Trip report of something I didn't want or will ever use later tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Ferg posted:

Major refactor to the backend that makes it a bit snappier, but far more stable, Google TV support (obviously), thread tags are shown in the thread list, message drafts are saved if you prematurely leave the post composition activity, some other poo poo that I can't remember.

Ah, I see the thread tags. I'll check it out on my TP later. For the record I thought the market version was awesome on tablet ICS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Saliciouscrumb posted:

What are some good anti-theft apps? I've looked at several and have narrowed my list down to Cerberus and Avast Mobile Security, though I am still open for suggestions. The former has more features and a web interface as of right now. The latter, Avast, how do I put it, is more well-known, is totally FREE, and while they don't currently have a web-interface, they are instead relying on SMS-commands, have stated that they will launch a web interface in Q1 this year.

I don't really care for the anti-virus protection that most security apps offer. I'm only interested in the anti-theft functions.

Also, many of these apps, including the two I've mentioned, can be even more integrated with root access, making it even harder for an unauthorized person to uninstall the app. But what if I want to uninstall such an app myself?

Anyone tried these kinds of apps?
TheftAware 2.0

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

TheftAware 2.0

I was going to post that but according to this https://market.android.com/details?id=at.itagents.ta_setup_mf&hl=en

quote:

THEFT AWARE IS NOT BEING DEVELOPED FURTHER ON AND IS UNSUPPORTED, PLEASE INSTEAD USE THE NEW avast! Free Mobile Security WHICH IS THE SUCCESSOR OF THEFT AWARE.
This is the same TheftAware, correct?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferg posted:

Looks like the three Google TV owners here could keep the GTV thread alive so I'll just post this here:

I pushed out a public beta of Awful last night that includes full Google TV support because I love supporting platforms that nobody uses. I'd appreciate it if anybody with a Google TV can test it. I have a Revue at home, it works well on there aside from a few UI quirks I'm working out. It's my understanding that the Sony Google TV's have a really weird controller that might make the app harder to use though.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/211105/AwfulBeta.apk

BONUS: This is also the phone/tablet APK so if anybody wants to test the upcoming v2.2 go to town. I'm really looking for Google TV owners though.

Sony Google TV with Blu-Ray sucker owner here. There's some bugs; most notably posts don't appear to load.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002

LastInLine posted:

TheftAware 2.0

I think Avast bought TheftAware and incorporated it into their app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

FACKER posted:

I was going to post that but according to this https://market.android.com/details?id=at.itagents.ta_setup_mf&hl=en

This is the same TheftAware, correct?
Ouch. That doesn't sound good.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lelandjs posted:

Sony Google TV with Blu-Ray sucker owner here. There's some bugs; most notably posts don't appear to load.

Some folks have been reporting this across devices and I can't reproduce it at all. Try clearing the apps data and logging in again maybe?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ferg posted:

Some folks have been reporting this across devices and I can't reproduce it at all. Try clearing the apps data and logging in again maybe?

Revue, doing the same thing. Cleared app data and re logged in, same result. Going to try a reinstall.

Edit: Nope. Loads the forums perfectly, just not any threads.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 24, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So there was this app mentioned in an AndroidPolice article called Google Music Importer, it looks like it let's you download your music in some recognizable fashion though I'm not really sure. I don't use my phone to play music enough to justify the price of admission but I am interested to hear how it works.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I just got a Galaxy Nexus and I'm having trouble installing widgets from Beautiful Widgets. The instructions say to hold on an empty space in your desktop, but when I do that, I only see options to select wallpapers. I don't see any options for widgets.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Secx posted:

I just got a Galaxy Nexus and I'm having trouble installing widgets from Beautiful Widgets. The instructions say to hold on an empty space in your desktop, but when I do that, I only see options to select wallpapers. I don't see any options for widgets.

Unfortunately those instructions are for older versions of Android. To add widgets in 4.0, go to the app drawer and tap the "Widgets" tab (or just scroll to the right repeatedly until you get there), and you should have a nice list of widgets complete with thumbnail images of what they'll look like when added to a homescreen. Just drag one and it'll let you place it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Ferg posted:

I had this problem with the TouchPad but not Nexus. Clearing app data seems to have fixed it. One complaint I have for both devices is an annoying black and white flicker of the screen just before threads load on both devices.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I had this problem with the TouchPad but not Nexus. Clearing app data seems to have fixed it. One complaint I have for both devices is an annoying black and white flicker of the screen just before threads load on both devices.

Yeah there's an extra query happening I'm going to fix that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone else been having a weird issue with WidgetLocker? Every time I reboot my phone, the lockscreen widgets don't load; I just get these placeholders that say "Tap to restore widget" and I have to delete and redo all my widgets. It just seemed to start recently.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm looking for a nice weather widget that isn't beautiful Widgets or fancy Widgets. I tried 1weather but it takes forever to refresh and it doesn't fill my whole screen. I want something that look is nice but that I can preferably point towards Weatherbug whenever I click it from the home screen. Thanks guys.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Codiusprime posted:

I'm looking for a nice weather widget that isn't beautiful Widgets or fancy Widgets. I tried 1weather but it takes forever to refresh and it doesn't fill my whole screen. I want something that look is nice but that I can preferably point towards Weatherbug whenever I click it from the home screen. Thanks guys.
I've got to ask why you're discounting BW right off the top?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

There's always HD Widgets, but yeah, BW is probably still your best choice.

Also, doesn't Weatherbug come with its own widget?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

LastInLine posted:

I was really disappointed with HD Widgets and BW, and happy that I only paid 20 cents total; they both look like they haven't had any visual updates or content added since Eclair.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Ehh, I mainly just wanted to try something different. I have Beautiful right now and I am just kind of bored with it. I probably just need to play around with some more skins. I like the 1weather widget but the app itself seems to clunky for my tastes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

I was really disappointed with HD Widgets and BW, and happy that I only paid 20 cents total; they both look like they haven't had any visual updates or content added since Eclair.

Uh the widgets are completely customizable you know?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Uh the widgets are completely customizable you know?

Yeah, and the selection through the "Get More Skins!" link was terrible (which seemed to be a common complaint). Is there someplace outside the app(s) I should be looking?

e: At the time, I was looking for a clock that looked like a simple analog clock, and of the 30 or so options not one of them was just a white clockface with black hands and numbers, just tons of gimmicky junk. And some toggle widgets that didn't look like they came out of Commander Keen.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 24, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, and the selection through the "Get More Skins!" link was terrible (which seemed to be a common complaint). Is there someplace outside the app(s) I should be looking?

e: At the time, I was looking for a clock that looked like a simple analog clock, and of the 30 or so options not one of them was just a white clockface with black hands and numbers, just tons of gimmicky junk. And some toggle widgets that didn't look like they came out of Commander Keen.

If you're looking for toggle widgets, use Widgetsoid. By far the best for a simple classy looking toggle, you can even match ICS's theme. Considering the clock in BW is a digital clock I wouldn't hold out for analog skins. You know you can use the weather separately and just use the Android built in analog widget.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

If you're looking for toggle widgets, use Widgetsoid. By far the best for a simple classy looking toggle, you can even match ICS's theme. Considering the clock in BW is a digital clock I wouldn't hold out for analog skins. You know you can use the weather separately and just use the Android built in analog widget.

That sure does sound completely customizable. Thanks for calling me out on that one. :rolleyes:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you want an analog clock widget get the free version of make your clock widget, make your own!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
For beautiful widgets skins I really recommend changing the sorting from "a-z" to "most downloaded".

Nazi Zombies
Mar 18, 2009

ARe there any apps that will send flight deals to my phone? I've found a couple so far, but they always want me to put in the EXACT day I'm leaving and returning.

Even if I could search month to month, as the other option is so tedious and takes forever.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Nazi Zombies posted:

ARe there any apps that will send flight deals to my phone? I've found a couple so far, but they always want me to put in the EXACT day I'm leaving and returning.

Even if I could search month to month, as the other option is so tedious and takes forever.

Not an app, but what you can do sign up for daily personalized email deals from whatever site and forward them all to an RSS via this which you could read in Google Reader.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 24, 2012

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Codiusprime posted:

I've went though a few weather widgets but keep coming back to AIX Weather. Not the prettiest out there per se but in terms of information relayed at a glance there's no competition.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I've went though a few weather widgets but keep coming back to AIX Weather. Not the prettiest out there per se but in terms of information relayed at a glance there's no competition.

This is very nice, I like it a lot. The only feature I am missing is if it could be set to go straight to weatherbug when I tap it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So I use and like aCar for tracking car related expenses. I absolutely loathe his copy protection bullshit (Pro via paypal, unregistering and reregistering devices). Between all the phone changing and root fuckery I do it's a pain in the rear end to get it all set up and going again.

Is there another comparable app I should be looking at? Most everything I've glanced through looks like rear end.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 24, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've been using Mileage to keep track of fuel economy. It also appears to have service interval reminders as well but I'm not using them.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of ad-hoc expense tracking though.

I dumped aCar due to him doing notification SPAM about upgrading to pro version when I wasn't even in the app.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

I've been using Mileage to keep track of fuel economy. It also appears to have service interval reminders as well but I'm not using them.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of ad-hoc expense tracking though.

I dumped aCar due to him doing notification SPAM about upgrading to pro version when I wasn't even in the app.

Is that Evan Charlton's app? He's a pretty cool dude. First guy to release a widget when that set of API's opened up 2 years ago. Also made the first Google Voice dialer before Google did. But yeah, his app does what I need but it seriously looks like rear end. Looks like he wants to ICSify it but doesn't want to do the rewrite that requires it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's the one.

I wouldn't say it's the prettiest thing in the world, but I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it look like rear end. White text on black background is pretty inoffensive to me even if it is a bit sparse. It would be cool if it was rewritten for ICS, but I honestly only look at it for 2 minutes every other week.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Well if you look at the thread again it looks like he's taking it a tad more seriously. :)

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I'm looking for a speedometer app I used to have awhile back. I remember it just being called speedometer but I have no idea who the author was or anything beyond that.

It was a fairly simple speedometer app except it had a neat replay feature. By that I mean I could actually replay my entire trip on a map with speeds indicated and everything. There are a ton of speedometer apps, but I cant find that one or another that does replays.

If anybody knows what I had or something like it I'd be much obliged.

Trent Lott in 08
Oct 16, 2003

Burn the village, rape & pillage.
Ok, I'm having a problem with the market. I tried to buy Osmos HD yesterday afternoon and the download just hangs. Doesn't even start. I can download free apps and I can update my current ones, but I can't get anything that requires payment.

I've cleared cache/data for the market and for the download manager, returned the market to stock and reapplied the updates, rebooted the device, signed into and out of gtalk multiple times, removed the battery/sim, tried via my tablet and on my gnex over wireless, 3g and 4g. I've also tried using the web interface on both devices, along with the market app.

Anybody want to take a stab at this? I've sent an email out to marketplace support, but it's been almost 24 hours at this point and I've only gotten 2 emails.

Edit: hahaha, got another email suggesting I wipe my phone. Did it, market is still hosed up. This is hilariously broken.

Trent Lott in 08 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 25, 2012

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ok a woofi question.

I see via the notifications that i am xx km from home, with a rather large (1.68 km) radius. I happen to pop into google maps, and i have GPS on, etc, and it find my location and tracks me for a bit.

But woofi still seems to have a large 'slop' to it. if i enable gps in woofi, it gets me to within a few meters right away.

is it not using any map data it can get that it doesnt get explicitly ?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm not quite sure the best place to put this, but does anybody know if there's any way to force an HTML file to open in Browser instead of HTML Viewer? HTML Viewer doesn't support JavaScript or have access to the internet (for legitimate security reasons)

I can use file:///sdcard/downloads/page.htm in the browser, but I'm looking for a way to automate this, preferably by just opening the file itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Roundboy posted:

ok a woofi question.

I see via the notifications that i am xx km from home, with a rather large (1.68 km) radius. I happen to pop into google maps, and i have GPS on, etc, and it find my location and tracks me for a bit.

But woofi still seems to have a large 'slop' to it. if i enable gps in woofi, it gets me to within a few meters right away.

is it not using any map data it can get that it doesnt get explicitly ?

Since you're able to enable GPS, you must be using the beta. It's certainly possible there's a bug in there that prevents it from using GPS data that other apps have retrieved (like Maps).

I know this works correctly in the market version. I'll see if I can reproduce that behavior tomorrow...

One thing I just thought of is that I don't think I have the beta set up so that it will update where it thinks you are just because another app got some GPS data (off hand I don't think there is any way for woofi to know if another app got GPS data without explicitly checking you location...which is what woofi tries to avoid doing as much as possible since it uses more battery life). It won't update where it thinks you are until the time it shows in the notification until the next check, or until you open the app to the main screen.

• Locked thread