Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Grapist posted:

1958 Mark VI. Original lacquer, about 98 - 99% of which is remaining. The pearls and springs feel brand new, it was barely played.

Whelp, jealous. I have two Conn and a Bundy altos; one Conn is blue and gold. I haven't played in over a decade. My dream is to afford and play a baritone again, always played school owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

The Electronaut posted:

Whelp, jealous. I have two Conn and a Bundy altos; one Conn is blue and gold. I haven't played in over a decade. My dream is to afford and play a baritone again, always played school owned.

Once I'm done finishing up my tenor, I'll post a pic of that. Bare brass 1954 VI, I had someone overhaul it, but they didn't do a job that I'm happy with, so I just said gently caress and I'm restoring it myself.

I can probably find you a Baritone at a decent price when you're ready. PM me and I can find something decent in your budget.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.

kahm posted:

What do you think of Slate VCC?
Unless you push it hard, its subtle (except for the low end bump on the Neve and Tube console models) but it does glue everything together in a pleasing way. If you put the VCC plugin on all your tracks and mix bus, assign them all to a group in the plugin (so when you change a parameter on one plugin it changes all of them), and use the group toggle in the plugin to switch all the VCC plugins on and off at once, its easy to hear what its doing to the mix. As for accuracy in modeling, I've only used an SSL 4000 and I really couldn't say if the way the real thing sums is similar to the plugin, but it definitely sounds pleasing to the ear.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My M-Audio Fast Track Pro crapped out on me over the weekend while I was in the middle of recording, so I decided it was time for a new interface. I went with the Apogee Duet 2, which is incredibly good.

Not my photo, but that's what it looks like.

Best interface I've owned by far. It sounds awesome, and kicks the poo poo out of the FTP in every way. I think eventually I'll spring for the breakout box, but for now the cable works perfectly.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
The upcoming Johnny Marr Jaguar... I must have it

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011
No sooner did I get my Strymon Timeline, I NOW ORDERED THIS BADBOY!

With the power of the Kingsley Jester and Strymon Timeline I WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!

edit: Giant picture by accident

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

dancehall posted:

The upcoming Johnny Marr Jaguar... I must have it

Oh my god, I love that shade of orange. I thought for a moment it was sparkle-finish, but then I squinted a bit and saw it was JPG compression.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Allen Wren posted:

Oh my god, I love that shade of orange. I thought for a moment it was sparkle-finish, but then I squinted a bit and saw it was JPG compression.

No, it is a metallic finish. Shouldn't be sparkly, exactly. but close. It's supposed to mimic an old faded red apparently.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm sorry. Did someone say... orange?

It's a Creamsicle!

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Gordon Cole posted:

Ungh, I've been really wanting a Bass VI but they're just too expensive. It probably mentions in the video, but I can't watch it at work, how much does it cost?

I know this was from a couple of days ago. I have the Schecter version, and I really dig it. Picked it up for $750. Looks like it's gotten cheaper.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-hellcat-vi-electric-guitar/520006000064000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Scored a Yamaha DGX-640 with a sweet coupon from guitar center. It was missing the screws needed to assemble the stand so it is in a sub-optimal position for the time being :/ Now I just need to learn how to play

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

I'm sorry. Did someone say... orange?

It's a Creamsicle!

So sweet! How do you like? I've owned a Xaviere and loved it (sold it and moved up to used MIA Fender). I want to get another one so bad, they have such a neat assortment.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Going into my RGA121

Panterica
Oct 24, 2003

My new guitar.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Panterica posted:

My new guitar.

Not a huge fan of the dot inlay, but still a gorgeous guitar.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Panterica posted:

My new guitar.

Welcome to the White Explorer Club! It's such a fantastically balanced piece of gear. Does it have a strap button on the back as well? I'd highly suggest using that one instead of the top one because it'll slide right the gently caress off.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Patman posted:

So sweet! How do you like? I've owned a Xaviere and loved it (sold it and moved up to used MIA Fender). I want to get another one so bad, they have such a neat assortment.

Well, considering it's a replacement for my previous JT90, which met an untimely semi-demise from a band member who is not Pete Townsend especially with my guitar, I like it very much.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It turns out Rondo also sells cheap classical guitar straps.

Nothing special about the strap, but I never got to post a picture of my cheap classical before.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Today at work I made a whammy bar, since for some reason, my guitar didn't come with one. Just have to adjust my bridge a bit now.

Now I'm realizing that it's way too long.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 28, 2012

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Today at work I made a whammy bar, since for some reason, my guitar didn't come with one. Just have to adjust my bridge a bit now.

Now I'm realizing that it's way too long.

Looks more like you have a whammy bar with a guitar on it. :cawg:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, just think of it as more leverage, so you can whammy through semitones and semisemitones with more precision.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I can hire someone to stand in the next room over and whammy for me!

Next time I want to make an accessory, I'll bring my guitar to work with me for reference. ;)

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 28, 2012

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Not quite finished with the build but it's going smooth and I wanted to show her off. SammichFM, a spartan midiboxFM, like the SammichSID. I'll have the wilba/nils "trinity" of a 6581, an 8580 and an OPL sammiches. :toot:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Not so much a new guitar, but a new paint job. Break out the spandex!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I knew you were a goon, Mr Vai.

How in the world was that paintjob made? Not a big decal covering body and pick guard is it? Maybe there's a way to batik dye hard material

e: Cool.. makes me throw a glance to my dull Roland midi controller

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 29, 2012

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
There are some tutorials on how to get that finish. If Project Guitar wasn't down, I'd link directly to their tutorial. I believe that its basically oil based paints sitting on top of a tub of water and you just dip the body in.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bugera Vintage 5

I was going to go pick up a Tubemeister 18 head and cab because some of the tones I was hearing were what I wanted in my head. Nice dirty blues with some great cleans. I ran across some videos of this amp and heard the same tones I was looking for. I decided I'd just return it if I didn't like it, and it was only $190 so who cares.

Got it home, and it sounded boxy, or muffled or something. I could hear the tones I wanted, but it was like a towel was over it. I read online people were changing tubes to bring out more upper and mids .. clarity. Went to my local guitar shop and they were closed for whatever reason. I ordered a JJ tube off amazon, and then remembered I had a Vox Tonelab ST which has a 12AX7 tube in there somewhere. I opened her up, and it was an Electro-Harmonix. Pulled out the Bugera branded tube, stuck this in, and it was like the towel was removed.

I'm in love.

For now.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Seeing the cajones earlier in this thread inspired me to build one for myself:

I'm digging it so far - nicer range (and more fun to play) than the bongos I've got.

Even inspired me to throw together a little youtube demo of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219J2x1RQGA

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Just grabbed this off craigslist for a grand.

2006 4003 with OHSC. Pretty happy with it, have not played bass in a while, my fingers hurt real bad.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

JohnnySmitch posted:

Seeing the cajones earlier in this thread inspired me to build one for myself:

I'm digging it so far - nicer range (and more fun to play) than the bongos I've got.

Even inspired me to throw together a little youtube demo of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219J2x1RQGA

Yeah that owns

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

How in the world was that paintjob made? Not a big decal covering body and pick guard is it? Maybe there's a way to batik dye hard material

Rifter17 posted:

There are some tutorials on how to get that finish. If Project Guitar wasn't down, I'd link directly to their tutorial. I believe that its basically oil based paints sitting on top of a tub of water and you just dip the body in.

Pretty much that. Get a huge bucket of water, mix in oil paints thinned out with some borax, then gently swirl the guitar body around as you dip it in the mix. Its a bitch to get right which is why there are a few people around who almost manage to do it for a living. The swirl above was courtesy of OOTS.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

BusinessWallet posted:

2006 4003 with OHSC. Pretty happy with it, have not played bass in a while, my fingers hurt real bad.
Ahhh, it's so gorgeous. Super jealous.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Blue Square posted:

Pretty much that. Get a huge bucket of water, mix in oil paints thinned out with some borax, then gently swirl the guitar body around as you dip it in the mix. Its a bitch to get right which is why there are a few people around who almost manage to do it for a living. The swirl above was courtesy of OOTS.

That's sick, thanks!

I came home with an Aphex product an hour ago!

I guess it's really an EQ and a compressor working together per channel, it gives a big bottom and flexible mid-hi or highs depending on your setting. The best way to try one out is to run some finished tracks through it, maaaaaaan.. it's like my monitors aren't poo poo any longer, and some of the badly mixed tracks I've received are suddenly fine.

This is best used with reference speakers or headphones for that reason, it's going to be a very carefully used end-mix unit to provide just a little oompf when I need to wrap up a mix, but until it will be set to pass through. Don't spend too much getting one, you can do this with other equipment if you've got the money and the space, and get the follow-up model the 204 for something better and more controllable if you get a good offer and need to add a lot of sound to your small low budget studio.

edit: Hahaha, things sounding great through my 10€ Philips headphones messes with me. Flat as hell when passthrough, tweak the knobs a little and there's depth and width, there's even bass though not much of it. What a wonderful little rack unit this is.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 30, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

BusinessWallet posted:

That's a pretty good deal. You need to change the strings and wind them correctly though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Picked it up from Amazon for $150 new; it was supposed to ship with a MIDI-to-USB cable (which didn't show up the same day what the gently caress) but I've been playing with it through my amp and it's bea-utiful.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just picked up this PdP 8-piece kit and DW2000 pedal. I can't wait to play it with the full band this weekend.

e:Might want to actually include the picture.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

DrChu posted:

That's a pretty good deal. You need to change the strings and wind them correctly though.

What's wrong with them? My friend who works in a shop says they are good strings, I have no idea what they are though. I usually play DRs.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

BusinessWallet posted:

What's wrong with them? My friend who works in a shop says they are good strings, I have no idea what they are though. I usually play DRs.

They're wrapped the wrong way around the E and A string posts. Once you switch them the right way it'll weaken them where they bend and they'll be more likely to break. (though, chances are if they don't break while restringing they should last a while).

Do those strings have a colored coating? They may be DRs as well - http://www.drstrings.com/catalogs/coated-colors

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011
Whelp the Kingsley came on my B-day of all days and oh it was worth it! That and the Timeline have been my recent achievements and they complete the pedalboard so nicely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is that flanger signed, or is that just the company's mark?