Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I rather like that there's about sixty different ways to write a given sentence and convey the same meaning in English. There's a lot of room for personalizing and flourish (or being an overwrought windbag, in my case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Cabbit posted:

I rather like that there's about sixty different ways to write a given sentence and convey the same meaning in English. There's a lot of room for personalizing and flourish (or being an overwrought windbag, in my case).

My dear cabbage, were there hence to be a sentence that more accurately described my feelings on the matter, and with greater precision at that, it would still not be preferable to this, written here and now, for it is much preferable that we discuss such things hereinabove thence rather, if at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JT Jag posted:

There isn't a word for gayness in troll culture, and the very concept is rather foreign to them.

But Kanaya is it, that's for sure. Even if she doesn't exactly know or specifically identify as a "lesbian" (because that's not even a word in troll language) she only appears to be attracted to... do trolls even really have genders what with how they reproduce? God let's not get into that debate--- female looking trolls and females of other sentient species it appears.

I believe that Andrew once stated that Kanaya's thing would be more of a fetish than a sexuality in the context of troll society.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Zoolooman posted:

Hi-loving-five!

Descriptive grammar is like an intellectual frog hunt through a verbal jungle. English has very loose grammatical structures with the capacity for an almost endless nesting of constructions. Whole ideas are commonly shoved into the predicate of a passive construction.

Rewriting that last sentence to prove it:

It's common to shove whole ideas into the predicate of a passive construction.

I'm apt to argue, by way of human nature, all languages have a kind of looseness and flexibility. It's just that it's different for every language.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Captain Oblivious posted:

I believe that Andrew once stated that Kanaya's thing would be more of a fetish than a sexuality in the context of troll society.

Ah, but couldn't alternative sexualities in the real world also be described as - no, no they can't stop thinking it it's a terrible idea for terrible people.

Getting into the semantics of whether someone's actually one sexuality or another, especially if that someone is an alien, isn't particularly important except in understanding how they'll act on a functional level. Any deeper understanding of their orientation will only be as relevant as it is explained to be in the story.

Or, in other words, if it's going to matter we'll know.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Talorat posted:

Nope its totally real. My favorite part is that despite having a supposably gender neutral pronoun in Ze, they still find the need to have a feminine equivalent of Zir. If its a gender neutral pronoun why would you need two of them? :psyduck:

Zir isn't the feminine equivalent of Ze, it is the same pronoun. Ze/zir is equivalent to she/her or he/his. For example, "she took her ball to the park" becomes "ze took zir ball to the park" :eng101: The more you know!

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Lady of the Beech posted:

I'm apt to argue, by way of human nature, all languages have a kind of looseness and flexibility. It's just that it's different for every language.

It's about the written language, not the spoken. Written Latin tends to be very formal because they maintained tight grammatical rules. Spoken Latin was apparently very loose and informal. It had a ton of loan words.

English allows most of its loose nature to creep into writing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Zoolooman posted:

It's about the written language, not the spoken. Written Latin tends to be very formal because they maintained tight grammatical rules. Spoken Latin was apparently very loose and informal. It had a ton of loan words.

I have to ask, what is that in your avatar?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

So this is completely different from the topic at hand, but I found it interesting.

http://www.universetoday.com/18689/color-of-the-sun/

This article goes into detail about the color of the sun from outer space. It seemed pretty cool to know that the Act 6 opening flash was a more accurate depiction of the sun. I also got my calender today!

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Cavatica posted:

So this is completely different from the topic at hand, but I found it interesting.

http://www.universetoday.com/18689/color-of-the-sun/

This article goes into detail about the color of the sun from outer space. It seemed pretty cool to know that the Act 6 opening flash was a more accurate depiction of the sun. I also got my calender today!

Well that just blew my mind.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Zoolooman posted:

I'm not a language dude at all, but I think French is another example of a language that has very strictly controlled grammar and suchlike.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Cabbit posted:

I have to ask, what is that in your avatar?

Its Admiral Kunkka from Dota 2. We got a lot of Homestuckers playing dotes two.

Snollygoster posted:

I feel like Calmasis's popularity on Twitter has a lot to do with fan artists venting their frustration at not getting an ~xXelegant bishonenXx~ with Lord English. Like... Skaia's image board has 18 pages of LE's final design, which we've seen since around Halloween. Calmasis, who is at this point just a smug-looking piece of tangential foreshadowing, already has 8 pages and it's been what, a week?

Possibly, but I don't care anything for anime bishie stuff and I love the design regardless. Is it cliched? Yeah. Is it simple? Yeah. Is it intimidating? Yeah. I don't know what it is, I should be laughing at the idea of Hussie thinking people would take to a new character whose only physical attributes are grey skin, blank eyes and white hair, things just taken from elsewhere, but it works somehow. I refuse to believe this Calmasis fellow isn't some Seer prediction of UU. I'd be disappointed if UU turned out to have horns.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I'm still waiting to see how the other Complacency of the Learned is relevant. The slashfic that B1 rose wrote, dave copied, diamonds droog hurled into the lotus pod and the white king spent a million years reading before instantly spilling his brains over when he emerges and gets owned by bec noir. I wonder if it will somehow find its way off of B1 earth prior to being ripped to pieces by Red Miles and end up in B2 earth. I'm expecting them to end up creating themselves in a time loop one way or another, possibly with the outside influence of UU / Calmasis.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Pessimism posted:

Zir isn't the feminine equivalent of Ze, it is the same pronoun. Ze/zir is equivalent to she/her or he/his. For example, "she took her ball to the park" becomes "ze took zir ball to the park" :eng101: The more you know!

Ooooooh, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
For all you confused about the relationship shenanigans going on with the B2 kids, a fanartist created a handy shipping diagram.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

In troll society, yeah, but he also said that from a human perspective she is unmistakably a lesbian.

I'm sorry I've just seen this argument brought up too many times by MSPA forum types who want to pair her up with Gamzee or Eridan or Karkat and say "well it's just a fetish, not a sexuality" :( Shippers are the worst people :(

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 25, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

dumb brunette posted:

In troll society, yeah, but he also said that from a human perspective she is unmistakably a lesbian.

I'm sorry I've just seen this argument brought up too many times by MSPA forum types who want to pair her up with Gamzee or Eridan or Karkat and say "well it's just a fetish, not a sexuality" :( Shippers are the worst people :(

Yup.

We need more Vriskachat I don't have anything to argue about.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

For all you confused about the relationship shenanigans going on with the B2 kids, a fanartist created a handy shipping diagram.

Well now I just feel dumb for having made this

KoB
May 1, 2009

Yup.

We need more Vriskachat I don't have anything to argue about.

With the new kids, we have every Hero attribute alive again (breath, time, etc). And we have all but 1 of the Hero classes. Thief is the only class not present, this obviously means that Vriska will return.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Cabbit posted:

I think the amount of mental gymnastics people are going through to avoid having to admit that Dirk is gay is pretty astonishing.

I've done a little bit of poking around fansites and the sheer amount of this I've seen is an absolutely fascinating contrast to the usual internet fare of "These people must be gay even though they've only shown normal friendly interaction with each other, here read my John/Dave fanfic that explains their true love".

fakeedit: just found a tumblr post that possibly explains some of this reaction

quote:

I mean, am I the only person who isnt thrilled by this? I mean, its not that I didnt already ship Dirk/Jake, cause I did, and do. I just like having more freedom and less… confirmed .

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

KoB posted:

With the new kids, we have every Hero attribute alive again (breath, time, etc). And we have all but 1 of the Hero classes. Thief is the only class not present, this obviously means that Vriska will return.
I'm not so sure Sollux is going to be around that much longer.

Maybe UU is the Thief of Doom?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not so sure Sollux is going to be around that much longer.

Maybe UU is the Thief of Doom?

But if Sollux kicks it then there'd have to be a "Mage" player, too.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

ActionZero posted:

I've done a little bit of poking around fansites and the sheer amount of this I've seen is an absolutely fascinating contrast to the usual internet fare of "These people must be gay even though they've only shown normal friendly interaction with each other, here read my John/Dave fanfic that explains their true love".

fakeedit: just found a tumblr post that possibly explains some of this reaction

I think there are people out there who just fetishize the idea of straight dudes making out or something, because there is always a shitload of OMG STRAIGHT GUY A AND STRAIGHT GUY B ARE TOTALLY FUCKIIIGN in fandom but not so much excitement over actual gay male characters.

KoB
May 1, 2009
While the Vriska bit was mostly a joke, I think it had to be pretty deliberate of Hussie to leave out Thief after the new kids picked up the unused Classes and then proceed to give Jane an already used class instead of the remaining one. UU being a surprise Thief of Something would be interesting.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Jake's dreamself already kicked the bucket, so how does Thief of Hope sound? You know you like it.

I still don't know about UU actually being a player. All we have is the fact that they know things about the game - more than they should.

Vriskachat: Depictions of Ophiuchus show him trampling on Scorpio - they are natural enemies. What does it mean???

MrBims fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 25, 2012

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I'm always a little weirded out by how sure people are that Vriska is going to revive. I mean, maybe she will, and that would be cool! But there are people making these thousand-word arguments as to why there's empirical proof that she's not going to stay dead or whatever and that anyone who disagrees just hates Vriska and :psyduck:

I'm not banking so much on Vriska coming back so every class is around so much as I think we might see every class' god tier design before the end of the comic. Since we've seen Thief, she's no longer required to be around, especially since there is already another Light player. If it goes by titles, though, and not by powers, that would mean that Karkat and Terezi don't need to god tier since we already have a Knight and Seer in fancy pajamas. They'll probably get the tiger anyway, though.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

dumb brunette posted:

They'll probably get the tiger anyway, though.

No way, we've seen what god tier Karkat looks like now there's no way he'll ever get that hoodie, in fact his character arc is now over with the revelation of that design, he has no purpose in the comic any more.

I'm banking on Vriska coming back because I really want her to. :colbert:

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

dumb brunette posted:

Don't really want to fan the flames of this argument, but in the interest of accuracy: Hussie's exact words (from his old formspring) are that "from a human perspective, she's an unmistakably gay character," which might not have the same interpretation.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dumb brunette posted:

I'm always a little weirded out by how sure people are that Vriska is going to revive. I mean, maybe she will, and that would be cool! But there are people making these thousand-word arguments as to why there's empirical proof that she's not going to stay dead or whatever and that anyone who disagrees just hates Vriska and :psyduck:

It really isn't too complicated, honestly. It's just rationalization to get around the fact that they don't want to admit the core of their argument is this:

ActionZero posted:

I'm banking on Vriska coming back because I really want her to. :colbert:

It has nothing to do with what makes sense, or what is best for the story, at least in most cases. People just want Vriska to come back because they like her as a character (and I do include myself here.)

Also if Vriska comes back, Equius might also come back, and as we all know, that would be The Best Thing.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I can't help but feel like Ze is the worst option because every usage of it sounds like a bad french accent stereotype. "Ze is taking zer ball and only playing with zerself." Yuck.

Anyways, this update is getting me really pumped for Dirk's confession. It sounds like the more exciting event in history that way AR described it. It's gonna be an [S] page and everything!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

It really isn't too complicated, honestly. It's just rationalization to get around the fact that they don't want to admit the core of their argument is this:

It has nothing to do with what makes sense, or what is best for the story, at least in most cases. People just want Vriska to come back because they like her as a character (and I do include myself here.)

Also if Vriska comes back, Equius might also come back, and as we all know, that would be The Best Thing.
Well it's also rationalization to get around hte fact that keeping her dead is pretty thematically out of step with the rest of the story.

Plus I mean it isn't like there haven't been some nods in this direction already. It'd hardly be out of left field.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like we're breezing through Roxy's timeline, almost time for some poor cat to meet some daunting text.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm a proponent of the singular "they."

All of the trolls will end the story dead. This is my prediction. Not that being dead means much in Homestuck.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
AutoResponder is painting a kind of embarassing picture of Dirk. He's gonna wait until they're in the game, enter his second portal, surprise Jake at his house and then confess his long-hidden feelings of love?

Come on. That's something Eridan would do.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Commutator posted:

AutoResponder is painting a kind of embarassing picture of Dirk. He's gonna wait until they're in the game, enter his second portal, surprise Jake at his house and then confess his long-hidden feelings of love?

Yes it's almost as though the four children here all have aspects of the 12 trolls as well as the 4 original kids hmmmm

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
After being curious and doing some research, Nix is the name of a satellite that orbits Pluto... so maybe Alternia's pink moon has some sort of connection to this.

Honestly I'll be impressed if that drat moon ever ends up being significant at all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Commutator posted:

Isn't that something... Vriska would do?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It sounds like quite the overture. I can only think of the Vriska/Tavros meeting: a glorious trainwreck in the making. No one can look away.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Triple-Kan posted:

Yes it's almost as though the four children here all have aspects of the 12 trolls as well as the 4 original kids hmmmm
Just realized that past Dirk is present Dirk's worst enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there anyone whose worst enemy isn't their own past selves?