Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

Can anyone recommend some good noise canceling earbuds? Difficulty: has to be around $20-$25. Stupid budget.

Noise cancelling or noise isolating? I'm not sure you can find a pair of noise cancelling earbuds for that budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

rockcity posted:

Noise cancelling or noise isolating? I'm not sure you can find a pair of noise cancelling earbuds for that budget.

I'm willing to settle for noise "somewhat muffles the noises of people talking loudly around me". I know it doesn't have to be the best, but I just want it to be a little better than normal earbuds.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
I just revamped my wardrobe with plenty of dress shirts, blazers, khakis, etc. I'm looking for a good de-wrinkler/steamer to keep them crisp without the hassle of ironing. Any suggestions?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Squirrel Burger posted:

I just revamped my wardrobe with plenty of dress shirts, blazers, khakis, etc. I'm looking for a good de-wrinkler/steamer to keep them crisp without the hassle of ironing. Any suggestions?

http://1saleaday.com/family/

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Droid Washington posted:

e: and here's another recommendation I need. I'm taking Spanish this semester in university, and want a little extra help. Money is not so much a problem, but I'm deciding between Rosetta Stone and Fluenz. I think earlier in this thread there was a lot of support for Fluenz over Rosetta. Is this still the case?

I don't have personal experience, but I know my public library had language computer programs and Berlitz cds for the lending. It might be worth checking out, considering the cost.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good pair of earplugs for me? It gets pretty noisy in my apartment and I don't always want to listen to music to drown it out. I'd prefer reusable ones, but disposable is fine too. I'd be using them to do work (because it's only noisy during the day and evening), not to sleep.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Droid Washington posted:

e: and here's another recommendation I need. I'm taking Spanish this semester in university, and want a little extra help. Money is not so much a problem, but I'm deciding between Rosetta Stone and Fluenz. I think earlier in this thread there was a lot of support for Fluenz over Rosetta. Is this still the case?

Most universities have some sort of tutoring program, that would be a ton better than any commercial product, plus it's free. If for some reason yours doesn't, talk to your instructor and they can recommend some good supplemental materials.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm willing to settle for noise "somewhat muffles the noises of people talking loudly around me". I know it doesn't have to be the best, but I just want it to be a little better than normal earbuds.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-214-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fxt90-and-ha-fx500-added-1-8-12

I think this is the best buying guide for in-ear-earbuds in the universe. It covers about 200. You can check this for a model that suits you best if you'd like, there is a big chart a the bottom of the thread that goes by high cost to low cost and gives a rating. My recommendation is something in this line, the MEElectronics M21P-BK In-Ear Headphones. They are budget, but have above average build quality and sound very good for $20. They have a variety of plastic tips that fit into your ears well to muffle sound like you specified.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...91&sr=1-2-spell

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thanks a ton for that guide! I'm trying to find nice comfortable ones and it'll be a big help.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good pair of earplugs for me? It gets pretty noisy in my apartment and I don't always want to listen to music to drown it out. I'd prefer reusable ones, but disposable is fine too. I'd be using them to do work (because it's only noisy during the day and evening), not to sleep.

I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Laser-Earplugs-Cords/dp/B00362CNMM/ref=lh_ni_t the other month and they are amazing. Easily the best earplugs I've ever owned.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm looking for a nice, reasonably priced pair of speakers to place next to my bed. I'll be powering it by my phone, so audio quality isn't of huge concern - I'd like them to be able to mount on the wall if possible.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Robin Sparkles posted:

I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Laser-Earplugs-Cords/dp/B00362CNMM/ref=lh_ni_t the other month and they are amazing. Easily the best earplugs I've ever owned.

Thanks, I'll give them a try. How long does a pair usually last?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Robin Sparkles posted:

Seconding these, without which I would literally never get more than an hour or two of sleep each night. They're one use items, but they're also quite cheap.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I am a very light sleeper and on a different schedule than the rest of my household, so I'm looking for some foam earplugs for night-time wear. I've tried the generic purple ones, but they're way too big for my ears, and even put in right they stick out so far they get tugged out when I roll over. The only requirement is I need to be able to hear my alarm through them, which isn't hard since I keep it right by the bed... I'd really love to be able to get a full night's sleep without having to hunt for earplugs in my bed in the morning!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

They probably use lead-acid batteries, so the biggest problem is that they won't hold a charge for very long, so you can't really expect to just charge it when you get it, then leave it in your truck until you need it. I would say that at least once a month, if not every two weeks, you should charge it overnight, ideally you'd run the battery down first, but that might not be possible...and if it's a cheap unit that doesn't have a good charging circuit, it can be prone to overcharging, which can ruin the battery.

Obviously having one is better than nothing, and there are times when you could be stranded with no-one around to help you with just regular jumper cables, but if you do get one, don't get the cheapest one....sorry I can't provide an actual make/model.

I bought one from Harbor Freight, it is lead acid and it holds the charge for a long time. Harbor Freight is one of my favorite places to shop: I had lost the charging cable for my jumper box, and I just took it to them and told them I wanted to order a new one. They took my box, gave me a brand new one with a cable, and only charged me like $10 for an extended warranty.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for an exercise met for indoor/home use. My wife has been using some work-out videos, but she has to do the sit-up exercises on the hardwood floor, and that's not too forgiving on her body. Any recommendations for a good, durable exercise/yoga-style mat?

http://www.amazon.com/Jade-Fusion-68-Inch-16-Inch-Yoga/dp/B0013I0W8I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327378698&sr=8-7

These are the best.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Berzerker posted:

Looking for some cheap wireless USB speakers since my headphone jack is being a prick.

Anyone? The 3.5mm jack is screwed so I need something that can be powered by USB. They don't even need to be wireless I guess.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

The Berzerker posted:

Anyone? The 3.5mm jack is screwed so I need something that can be powered by USB. They don't even need to be wireless I guess.

I think a USB sound card might be able to fix your problem. This one seems to be pretty highly rated on Amazon.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I'm looking for tasteful art related to classic video games.

Stuff like this: http://frodesignstore.blogspot.com/2011/04/mario-propaganda-set-of-4.html

Anyone have any ideas where I can find more stuff like this?

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I bought a pair of these: http://www.divoom.com/iris-02.asp. They seem to be pretty good for little laptop speakers.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Recommendation on a good kitchen trash can? I've been looking at these simplehuman ones

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coldfire07 posted:

Recommendation on a good kitchen trash can? I've been looking at these simplehuman ones

We've used one of those for years. They're great, although they work best with their bags, which are pricey compared to a Glad or Hefty bag.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on those portable self-jump boxes? Are any of them any good, or should I just stick to a good set of jumper cables?

I have the black and decker electromate 400 with compressor, AC power outlets, and DC plugs. I do like it a lot, as gas stations never seem to offer air anymore. I use the compressor more than the jumper, but it's nice to have the jumper. It will last months without charging, though the manual does say at least once a month. Highly recommended if you go camping at all for the built in LED lights and AC power. It's only a 400 watt inverter, but if that meets your needs it can be wonderful. I have also used it to power lights in a power outage. (CFL bulbs, lit up my apartment for 5+ hours before I shut it down.)

edit: fix name of product

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

coldfire07 posted:

Simple Human products are great but that one sucks. The lid tends to wear out pretty quick.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I think I'm lactose intolerant because milk gives me gas, what can I take for that?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Black Noise posted:

I think I'm lactose intolerant because milk gives me gas, what can I take for that?

Why not go to the doctor and get tested for sure before taking some medication that might or might not do anything for you?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tindjin posted:

Why not go to the doctor and get tested for sure before taking some medication that might or might not do anything for you?

It's not really medication, it's just Lactaid pills (or generic equivalent.)

All that's in them is lactase, an enzyme that all of us make to a varying degree, though lactose intolerant people (like myself) make very little. There won't be any harm in taking them if he's not lactose intolerant, and if he is, it will help.

It's not possible to "overdose" or anything...there's literally no harm in trying them. Just go to the drug store, look near where they sell the heartburn medicine and the Pepto Bismol, and they'll be there.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I am a very light sleeper and on a different schedule than the rest of my household, so I'm looking for some foam earplugs for night-time wear. I've tried the generic purple ones, but they're way too big for my ears, and even put in right they stick out so far they get tugged out when I roll over. The only requirement is I need to be able to hear my alarm through them, which isn't hard since I keep it right by the bed... I'd really love to be able to get a full night's sleep without having to hunt for earplugs in my bed in the morning!

Howard Leight makes different sizes of earplugs for different ears. But... are you sure you're putting them in right? When I go shooting I notice that a LOT of people don't put them in with the right technique and thus leave them sticking out way too far.

Here's the howard leight sight for their smaller plugs, along with a video of how to insert them:

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max-small

You could also look into getting custom molded ear plugs. I have two sets--one for concerts and one for motorcycling--and they're muuuuch more comfortable than regular ear plugs. Pricey, but worth it if you're literally using them every day.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Black Noise posted:

Ever try lactose free milk? Or almondmilk? The taste is different but you get used to it. Now I can;t stand the taste of regular cows milk except in ice cream.

Debonhare
Jan 15, 2004
I like rice.

Vector 7 posted:

Stuff like this: http://frodesignstore.blogspot.com/2011/04/mario-propaganda-set-of-4.html

I really like Adam Sidwell's work: http://theskidshop.bigcartel.com/

It's not just video game stuff and the store is lacking right now (check out his tumblr for news) but he releases reprints and new stuff fairly often. I don't know if it's tasteful as you're looking for, but my girlfriend hung a couple robot masters posters in the living room and had no idea they were video game related until I confessed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vector 7 posted:

I like most of the products on http://www.fangamer.net/, it's classy, low-key, and isn't macro-like in its references.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I cannot recommend this thing enough.

The god drat alligator. I used to have one of those slap chop clones, but I noticed that the rotator mechanism would get stuck fairly often so things got chopped very unevenly. The Alligator, however, consists of two moving parts so it's near impossible to jam unless you try to chop something way too big for it. It's not just limited to onions either, you can chop up pretty much anything with it. It comes with three grates, one big, one small and one really fine for garlic. Everything you chop ends up in a handy box. If the stainless steel one is a bit expensive for you, the plastic one runs at $33. Or get a similar device from a different manufacturer.

All I'm saying is, get a vegetable dicer with a collector box. If you cook at all, you need one more than you know.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
I'm thinking of buying this mechanical pencil. Does anyone have any experience with them, and if I do buy one, what erasers would you recommend to replace the one that comes with the pencil (mainly need to know size here, but if you like a particular brand, that's good too)?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

twice burned ice posted:

I'm thinking of buying this mechanical pencil. Does anyone have any experience with them, and if I do buy one, what erasers would you recommend to replace the one that comes with the pencil (mainly need to know size here, but if you like a particular brand, that's good too)?

They're fantastic, I've used one for a thousand years now. I don't use the crappy pencil eraser though. Just grab a regular plastic Staedtler or something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A very similar alternative mechanical pencil you should check out is the Draf/tec retractible pencil--also from Alvin. The sharp pencil tip retracts into the body, which may or may not be an advantage for you depending on how likely you are to stab yourself or break it.

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4

b0nes posted:

Ever try lactose free milk? Or almondmilk? The taste is different but you get used to it. Now I can;t stand the taste of regular cows milk except in ice cream.

These are good suggestions. Almond milk and hemp milk are both good alternatives, although hemp milk can taste a little "planty" (for lack of a better term). I use almond milk for a general replacement and chocolate hemp milk to replace choc milk. Beware, vanilla almond milk tastes amazing but has a bunch of sugar, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk is odd tasting (to me)

Has anyone bought stuff from Zazzle? I'm thinking about ordering some stickers ( http://www.zazzle.com/actagainst_bumper_sticker-128043986929469921?rf=238125728990969222 ) or a tshirt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tindjin posted:

To expand on that the other guy said, lactose tolerance is actually a genetic anomaly. Most mammals cease producing the enzyme required to break down lactose after they are weaned, as it is a waste of the body's resources to make an enzyme that is no longer necessary. Only humans populations that cultivated ruminants eventually carried the genetic defect that continued production of said enzyme. Asian populations, for example, are almost all lactose intolerant. Northern europeans are largely tolerant though.

When your body lacks this enzyme, the various bacteria in the gut end up breaking down the sugars, and produce gas as a byproduct of this process (the same way yeast eat sugar and make the co2 to make bread rise). Also, the additional sugar in the gut can act as hyperosmotic laxative, pulling water from the intestinal walls and giving you the runs.

So yeah, give lactaid pills a shot.

:science:

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a sub 100 dollar headset. Ideally one that works for both PC and ps3 and has a microphone as well. Also having sound quality that would pass for listening to music would work well too

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Hutzpah posted:

I'm looking for a sub 100 dollar headset. Ideally one that works for both PC and ps3 and has a microphone as well. Also having sound quality that would pass for listening to music would work well too

My girlfriend got me the new official Sony headset for Christmas (here on Amazon for $94). I'm no audiophile, but it sounds decent enough for me and is comfy to boot. (Unlike the bluetooth headset they put out.) It's wireless (via USB dongle) and started working immediately when I plugged it into my PC. I never tried the mic on the PC, but it's advertised as working, so I can't imagine it doesn't.

I've heard some folks who are way into headphones have some issues with the sound, but my uneducated ears are happy enough with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

benwards posted:

these ones are on sale for less than $30.

Just got these in the mail today and they work very nicely. Thank you for the recommendation!

• Locked thread