Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well it's pretty goddamn awesome for me in that I can finally get the Giulietta. If they sold it here in Canada I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But only the Quadrifoglio Verde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just wondering, could someone please link me to Jabs's site that has the schedule of the Wed Goonspec races?

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
Hey Jabs do you still have room for the Wednesday race? I changed my gamertag to Kiba Stryker(long story, old name, not from Yu-gi-oh) and have started to play Forza again. I think I have a car already that is close to the specs but I will make the correct changes.

I have a hard time choosing which I like more, The craziness of quad rotor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVC_6R7aoaM&feature=related
Or the semi-muscle semi-exotic of the Aston's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Fpnk-8VGSA#t=64s

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I was looking into getting a wheel from Fanatec, is there really a major difference between the Porsche looking one and the CSR? I kinda like the looks of the Porsche one better in that it looks like it would feel more like the wheel in a sports car, but I'm reading that the CSR is slightly improved, and from what I can tell it still has the grippy bits at 3 and 9 which is where I hold steering wheels anyway. Does anyone have experience with either? I imagine either is a huge improvement over a controller, but since they're both a little pricey I'm trying to get more details before ordering something.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

jadebullet posted:

Just wondering, could someone please link me to Jabs's site that has the schedule of the Wed Goonspec races?
http://www.jonathonbarton.net/index.php/goonspec/

Irish Legend posted:

Hey Jabs, do you still have room for the Wednesday race? I changed my gamertag to Kiba Stryker(long story, old name, not from Yu-gi-oh) and have started to play Forza again. I think I have a car already that is close to the specs but I will make the correct changes.
Yep. Attendance is up this season, and we're averaging 8-10 racers, but there's still room!

P.S. I like long stories!

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 24, 2012

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
Noticed a few people saying their Gold accounts were up. Just saw a deal on newegg: 12 months of Gold for $35.99. Not a bad deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3668349&SID=

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Jabs posted:

Update to the E30 Spec for Wednesday (because Boaz is a bigger sperglord than I am, by his own admission!)

Minimum weight - 2700 lbs.
Final Drive Ratio - 3.73
16.07 lb/hp - 168 hp - achievable with 20% power handicap.
Max front camber: -3.5
Max rear camber: -3.5
Spring Rates: F - 315
R - 570
Rebound/Bump: Any

Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage - Race
Springs and Dampers - Race (H&R Race Springs 50404-88)
Anti-roll bars - Sport
Tire Compound - Sport
Tire Width - Stock
Wheels - Any Style
Rim Size - Stock
Brakes - Street
Weight Reduction - Street (2700 lbs minimum!)
Transmission - Sport (For Final Drive adjustment)
Driveline - Any
Clutch - Any
Differential - Sport
Flywheel - Stock
Front aero - Any
Wing - Stock or Removed
All Power/Engine upgrades - STOCK

Come on, let's take it a step further -

Transmission - Race:
3.83 / 2.20 / 1.40 / 1.00 / 0.81 / 0.81

Sway bars - Race:
22mm Front, 19mm Rear

Tires - Sport:
205/50/15

I built a SpecE30 a while back, I can upload it to the club garage.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Whoever is GT "rgoer" - can I buy the tune from you for that A class AWD Focus RS that's in the LLJK garage? Really digging how that car drives. I believe it's A600.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

speedtek posted:

Come on, let's take it a step further -

Transmission - Race:
3.83 / 2.20 / 1.40 / 1.00 / 0.81 / 0.81

Sway bars - Race:
22mm Front, 19mm Rear

Tires - Sport:
205/50/15

I built a SpecE30 a while back, I can upload it to the club garage.
Forza doesn't let you spec bar actual sizes, only broad categories like "stock" or "street" or "race", so we fudge it as best we can.
We've required Race transmissions with specific gear ratios in other series, but can't be arsed to change it *again* with such short notice. =)
And the M3 comes with 16" wheels, and you can't downgrade. :(

Having one in the club garage would be ace though!

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I just uploaded my setup to the garage - it's the green C425 (that's convenient!) E30. I also uploaded the setup to the storefront for anyone wanting to build one with custom paint. Is there a way to upload it unlocked so people can play with their camber/pressue/shocks?

fake edit - the one I uploaded is with my 325i ratios, I can take that out if it'd be easier for everyone

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

speedtek posted:

I just uploaded my setup to the garage - it's the green C425 (that's convenient!) E30. I also uploaded the setup to the storefront for anyone wanting to build one with custom paint. Is there a way to upload it unlocked so people can play with their camber/pressue/shocks?

fake edit - the one I uploaded is with my 325i ratios, I can take that out if it'd be easier for everyone

Do you know offhand what parts you used? I've got one built as well and I don't think it's anywhere near a 425. However, I'm at work and could be completely wrong.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 24, 2012

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage - Race
Springs and Dampers - Race (315/570)
Anti-roll bars - Race (22/19. Yes, you can edit the size in the tuning screen)
Tire Compound - Sport
Tire Width - Stock
Wheels - 5zigen GN+ (I only chose these because they look the most like the wheels on my IRL E30)
Rim Size - Stock
Brakes - Street
Weight Reduction - Street
Transmission - Race (w/ 325i ratios, can switch to sport if preferred)
Driveline - Race
Clutch - Race
Differential - Sport (3.73)
Flywheel - Stock
Front aero - Forza
Wing - Removed
Engine - 100% stock

The car weighs in at 2756 lbs

speedtek fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 24, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That actually looks pretty similar to what I have. Like I said, I'm at work and can't check, so I have no idea what my PI currently is.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mac Tonight posted:

Noticed a few people saying their Gold accounts were up. Just saw a deal on newegg: 12 months of Gold for $35.99. Not a bad deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3668349&SID=

Fuckin' A! Thanks for the heads up!

Purchased!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 25, 2012

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
I think he is assuming the number in the adjustment is the size of the sway bar, which might make some sense.

The competitive part of me says," do not help your competitors" but the other side knows that we are not all douchebags. I tried Speedteks car and had a couple problems with it. Using the gear ratios that he lists instead of the sport transmission makes the car feel very sluggish, and that is with full power and not the 20% reduction we are going to have. That combined with the front aero really hurts top end on both long straights. Also the aero makes the car feel too planted in the front and the back end tries to come around.

I drove my car again after trying yours, both with and without the race sways, and was definitely able to turn a little faster lap times. I am no tuning wizard but I will throw my variant up for people to try and to compare to the one he provided. I think the sport transmission is going to be the way to go for sure because otherwise the gears are going to be way too tall for the engine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I was looking into getting a wheel from Fanatec, is there really a major difference between the Porsche looking one and the CSR? I kinda like the looks of the Porsche one better in that it looks like it would feel more like the wheel in a sports car, but I'm reading that the CSR is slightly improved, and from what I can tell it still has the grippy bits at 3 and 9 which is where I hold steering wheels anyway. Does anyone have experience with either? I imagine either is a huge improvement over a controller, but since they're both a little pricey I'm trying to get more details before ordering something.

I've never used the Porsche ones, but the CSR wheel is really good. I can't say anything about the CSR elite either. The wheels feels amazing and 9 and 3 and the major buttons (ABXY and the DPad) are easily reachable. The orange buttons (rb and lb) are a bit tricky to get to but you don't really use those much anyway. The game rebinds important actions like rewind, handbrake, look behind and something else to the color buttons anyway. Either one of those buttons or the RB brings up the quick look for damage/tire temps. I'm too lazy to see if it is documented anywhere, but all it takes is a few seconds of investigation.

And honestly, who cares what the wheel looks like? Watch the race, not your wheel. The only thing you can't really do is move your hands to 12 and 6 because the bottom is flat. You can do it, but it might feel weird.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Irish Legend posted:

The competitive part of me says," do not help your competitors"

Real race teams help each other out all the time.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

And honestly, who cares what the wheel looks like?

Your friends and family do- I haven't used the CSR, so this is obviously biased, but the look of the Porsche is amazing, and I get lots of compliments when people see it.

e: And that's the only reason. The CSR has been consistently updated since it's release, while the Porsche wheels are left behind (as far as I know).

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

jonathan posted:

Real race teams help each other out all the time.

I know, I wish I could somehow finagle my way into helping out a race team. Maybe when I move away from this stale place I will find some people that wouldnt mind having a peon around to get coffee for everyone when they get weary. I would probably do anything to just be around race cars in my spare time. Have not found really anything in Montgomery that would fall into that category. There might be some drag racers here, but that does not really fit my fancy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Not to be a total douche, but the Spec e30 rules call specifically for non-adjustable anti-roll bars. Sadly, it doesn't list a size in Forza, but I think we can fudge it since we have to run 225/45R16s instead of 205/xR15s anyway. I can throw my tune in the AUGR garage in a few minutes so you guys can check it out.

Edit: So I forgot to install the Sport Tires :downs:. Got them on, retweaked a bit, and shared it with the garage.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 25, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not to be a total douche, but the Spec e30 rules call specifically for non-adjustable anti-roll bars. Sadly, it doesn't list a size in Forza, but I think we can fudge it since we have to run 225/45R16s instead of 205/xR15s anyway. I can throw my tune in the AUGR garage in a few minutes so you guys can check it out.
Would happily use this car in the race, I don't have any time to tune and paint a car this week.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
That's cool, I just took your tune for a couple laps and it drove very nicely. So no front aero, sport tranny, sport sways?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

GOD IS BED posted:

Your friends and family do- I haven't used the CSR, so this is obviously biased, but the look of the Porsche is amazing, and I get lots of compliments when people see it.

e: And that's the only reason. The CSR has been consistently updated since it's release, while the Porsche wheels are left behind (as far as I know).

I was more thinking about how it felt than what it looked like, some of the photos I saw of the CSR made it look like it might feel kind of strange for driving road cars. But from what y'all are saying it's pretty nice and it sounds like it has updated paddle shifters and mystery electronic thingies so I just ended up going with that. Or at least, I tried to, but it looks like I managed to break their website's payment processor and am now waiting for some German artisan wheel-crafter on the other end to get back to me and defuck my order or something :shobon:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just an update with my Child's Play Charity Race planning:
I'm attempting to create the Child's Play logo ingame. If I can get it to look decent I'll gift a copy to you or anyone else that'll be in this planned race.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Bentai posted:

I'm attempting to create the Child's Play logo ingame. If I can get it to look decent I'll gift a copy to you or anyone else that'll be in this planned race.

You're an amazing person!

I'm still browsing through what car to use and what years the field should be for each enduro. I've figured I can do a huge enduro on the ring, with other smaller enduros, which could be SP and MP types. Or should I stick to one car for all 12 hours and see how many miles we rack up on it?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
For the E30 Goonspec race, yall keep mentioning a 20% power reduction...how do you tune that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's an option in the multiplayer lobby settings. You can handicap handling, power and a couple other things I think.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

speedtek posted:

That's cool, I just took your tune for a couple laps and it drove very nicely. So no front aero, sport tranny, sport sways?

Yeah, sport trans and sways. I don't use any front aero on mine to keep the top-end a little higher. I think it's only a .1 or .2 difference in handling, but it knocks quite a bit off the speed.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Any tips on how to get used to clutch and H-shifter? Do I just have to bite down and do a few hundred laps until it becomes second nature? Right now I can't hit my breaking points, and I also gently caress up terribly all the time trying to do the quick downshifting through the gears that's so easy with the paddle and no clutch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't have to go through every gear, just slow down and go into whatever gear is right for that speed. I'm still working on getting it right, it just takes practice.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cojawfee posted:

You don't have to go through every gear, just slow down and go into whatever gear is right for that speed. I'm still working on getting it right, it just takes practice.

I...I didn't even realize that it's not really necessary anymore when using a clutch :doh:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GhostDog posted:

Any tips on how to get used to clutch and H-shifter? Do I just have to bite down and do a few hundred laps until it becomes second nature? Right now I can't hit my breaking points, and I also gently caress up terribly all the time trying to do the quick downshifting through the gears that's so easy with the paddle and no clutch.

Buy a real car. :colbert:

I envy you guys with the cash to spend on awesome set-ups.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Liku posted:

Buy a real car. :colbert:

Been driving real cars (with clutch) forever, it does not seem to translate well into any kind of skill with a toy wheel on a console racing game.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does heel-toe shifting work in Forza? On some of the more powerful cars I've noticed the car getting unsettled if I shift into a low gear while braking into a turn, but I don't have the coordination to do that many car things at once with my fingers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does heel-toe shifting work in Forza? On some of the more powerful cars I've noticed the car getting unsettled if I shift into a low gear while braking into a turn, but I don't have the coordination to do that many car things at once with my fingers.

There's no reason it wouldn't work, but it's probably not necessary to fix your problem. Just try to avoid shifting while in a corner. I'm not sure what kind of "unsettled" you're talking about, but due to the engine braking effect you can knock the drive tires loose by downshifting and shifting the resistance going to the wheels.

Just remember you have a limited grip budget.. if you're using half your grip to turn and the other half to brake, changing the torque coming from the engine could put you over the top and send you spinning.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GhostDog posted:

Been driving real cars (with clutch) forever

I started using manual back in Forza 2 while I was driving a 5 speed IRL and was stunned at how terrible I was with it. I mean I drive a real car with a real 5 speed and clutch, so it should be easy, right?

It seems like more poo poo from games like this transfer to real life (for me, anyway) than the other way around. Especially saving cars; I almost spun onto a highway Sunday morning when I hit a sheet of black ice at the end of an onramp doing 50, and would have likely overcorrected and spun across the highway if I wasn't so familiar with correcting massive oversteer in Forza and Gran Turismo all these years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So since it sounds like Microsofts next console will be out next year; what does that mean for Forza 5? Will Turn-10 likely still stick to it's 2 year development cycle and have Forza 5 be a Xbox 3 launch title? Or will they do something else? I'm kinda hoping they push Forza 5 into a 3 year development cycle and support Forza 4 longer with more DLC. There's no way i'm buying the next console at launch, even if FM5 is a launch title.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

There's no way i'm buying the next console at launch, even if FM5 is a launch title.

No way, shipping my xbox to Texas four times before they gave me a refurb that survived was fun and I eagerly anticipate doing it again!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xzzy posted:

No way, shipping my xbox to Texas four times before they gave me a refurb that survived was fun and I eagerly anticipate doing it again!

Hahah, this is exactly why I won't do it. The launch Xbox 360s were criminally bad. Seriously, someone should have gone to jail for how bad the reliability was on this current gens consoles, at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I said come in! posted:

So since it sounds like Microsofts next console will be out next year; what does that mean for Forza 5? Will Turn-10 likely still stick to it's 2 year development cycle and have Forza 5 be a Xbox 3 launch title? Or will they do something else? I'm kinda hoping they push Forza 5 into a 3 year development cycle and support Forza 4 longer with more DLC. There's no way i'm buying the next console at launch, even if FM5 is a launch title.

Remember you and I spoke about this on IRC?

I still strongly believe that we'll see the next Forza on the next console. And not soon, either.
Granted, this is partly driven by the expectation that Microsoft is going to unveil the next Xbox at E3, and partly by the fact that FM4 currently has DLC sections for "Tracks", "Cars" and "Autovista". Why even bother including those other two sections if they're gonna be barely used?

After all, where can Forza still go on the 360? All the features we want: weather, daytime/nighttime races, new physical modelling for suspension bits... those will all need more horsepower. FM4 looks as good as I think it's gonna get on current hardware and unless they radically revamp the way the career works, more cars and tracks will only fuel the "lol $60 expansion pack" propaganda from the haters. And the GT5 thread's prodigal son, MUFFINS.

I said come in! posted:

Hahah, this is exactly why I won't do it. The launch Xbox 360s were criminally bad. Seriously, someone should have gone to jail for how bad the reliability was on this current gens consoles, at launch.

After spending more than a billion dollars on saving face with the current hardware you can bet your rear end that the next console will be more reliable than a loving mountain.

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 25, 2012

• Locked thread