Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.
I've yet to meet a person who didn't want to smack their 16 year old and younger self down. I like how Homestuck just runs with this idea, the most prominent being Karkat arguing with his past self and Jade's first encounter with Jadesprite, though that one isn't exactly time related.

Never has self-loathing been more entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If you don't look back at your past self and think, "holy poo poo what a moronic rear end in a top hat," you need to work on improving your life.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gnome de plume posted:

It sounds like quite the overture. I can only think of the Vriska/Tavros meeting: a glorious trainwreck in the making. No one can look away.

Honestly it's been so long that I almost feel like that took place in some other comic, some other time. Homestuck is so staggeringly huge that remembering that all parts of it happened and are interconnected and what-not boggles the mind. Even a re-read wouldn't/doesn't help, the story is so long that even reading it all at once doesn't dispel the effect. Each act is so different in tone, we knew so little and now know so much, it's a genuine struggle to try and project back to the beginning and read it as it was read then.

I remember when Tavros was considered a significant character (at least as much as any troll was - that is, less significant than the exiles!), and I remember when Vriska was introduced people believed she'd be a tool to develop him. I remember the most heated of Vriska-chats, at that, when people waffled back and forth between if she could be redeemed or if she needed karmic vengeance.

I remember when Sburb was just being revealed, in large part by Nanasprite's first monologue, and we thought that the game itself would be the plot. I remember when people thought WV was an imp because he looked like the monsters John fought. I remember the period of confussion after [S]Accelerate, and the shocked mouths hanging open after [S]Descend. I remember thinking the Midnight Crew were just a cameo in-joke and wouldn't be particularly relevant. I remember the very particular arguments that followed after the ectobiology revelation, and the complaints about the troll act dragging on forever ("How long has Jade been falling?").

It's been a long time. Sorry for the sudden bout of nostalgia, just trying to remember what we used to think (which changes daily) is quite tricky.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 25, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

YggiDee posted:

Is there anyone whose worst enemy isn't their own past selves?

Jack seems to get along alright. Better than he does with most people, at least.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Actually, I'd like to give my 16 year old self a hug and tell her it's all going to be okay. :unsmith:

Edit:

quote:

TT: For some reason, I think he's latched on to this notion that functioning as the client for a player is customarily a one way pass to makeout city with that player.

Seems pretty accurate.

Torgover fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 25, 2012

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
You know it seems obvious now but I actually never thought of it that way. Like we all think Karkat is overreacting initially but just imagine trying to communicate with your younger self, with all the knowledge and foresight you have now. I'd probably strangle me, personally.

YggiDee posted:

Is there anyone whose worst enemy isn't their own past selves?

Well there was that alien scammer dude from Bender's Big Score--if I recall correctly, he decides to hook up with his past self instead.

As far as Dirk's 'plan' goes, I'm personally hoping for the meetup to be a callback to the disastrous Vriska/Tavros one. Or hell, maybe even that part in Hivebent where Equius gives Aradia her robo-body and she tears her own heart out. Not like that hasn't been ironically alluded to at any point in time.

Dolash posted:

homestuck nostalgia etc.

I'd only started reading/caught up with homestuck shortly before Seer: Descend, although I do remember following maybe one of the earliest fans of it back when it first started up on DeviantArt. Had no idea the person was drawing fanart; I just figured the gray kid with the cancer symbol on his shirt was an OC or something. I want to say they started the first 'club' for it on the site, too. Jesus! Seems like it was ages ago.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
GCAT why :argh:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
THAT loving GCAT

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Oh nooooo that face :<

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GCat decided there can only be one. Vodka mutini is next :tinfoil:

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Argh it's not like we didn't know this was coming but it's still so sad :saddowns:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I involuntarily said "oh noooooo" at that last panel. My wife came in to ask me what was wrong.

e: vvvvvv Yeah Jaspers is basically the nicest cat, real or fictional, that I've ever encountered.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 25, 2012

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
I love the changing expressions.

Has Jaspers ever expressed anything other than :3: before tonight?

e: I had completely forgotten what "madrigogs" was supposed to be. Good think Hussie clarified
e2: increased length of the first frame, in case someone snags it as an avatar.

Mr. D Bewildering fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 25, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

e: I had completely forgotten what "madrigogs" was supposed to be. Good think Hussie clarified

Pretty sure Jaspers has always been the chillest cat there ever did be. And now he's about to be the flattest, thanks to that damned GCat. :(

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

e2: increased length of the first frame, in case someone snags it as an avatar.

I am going to go ahead and grab this if that is alright~

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
Go ahead! :3: You seem to have an affinity for cats as it is

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If you don't look back at your past self and think, "holy poo poo what a moronic rear end in a top hat," you need to work on improving your life.

This is completely true.

@ update: as I thought.

poor cat who is probably Jaspers. :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So I'm guessing Jaspers is the first prototyping, then Alpha Rose. That'll be a thing to see.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cabbit posted:

So I'm guessing Jaspers is the first prototyping, then Alpha Rose. That'll be a thing to see.

Jaspers won't be prototyped, since he has to be disappearified back to Universe 1 so Rose can prototype him.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
At least we can be relatively certain that the future pesterlog between Roxy and Jaspersprite will be heartwarming.

:insmith:
* :unsmit:
** :unsmith:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So at this point we still don't know what Jaspers' secret was right? Or was it the MEOW code?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Godcat you douche :argh:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So GCat just teleported in to distract Roxy and Jaspers just so Jaspers would be killed and then sent back (through currently unknown circumstances)to the pre-scratch session for Rose to find, and then shortly thereafter hold a funeral for, which then allowed him to be used in Roses tier 1 prototyping, which subsequently saved her life and thus allowed (in a manner of speaking) the scratch to happen, so that there could be a post-scratch session for Jaspers to be appearified into, and, more than likely, be used to create Mutini and/or GCat through ectobiology. Does that sound about right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
GCat is proof that there can be literally nothing worse in the universe than an omnipotent kitty.

Homestuck's is a world under constant twisted assault by a time-traveling skeleton man with a thing for little girls, and he is still not as big an rear end in a top hat as GCat.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Talorat posted:

So at this point we still don't know what Jaspers' secret was right? Or was it the MEOW code?
Jaspers' secret was, in all likelyhood, literally saying "meow".

This unlocked the MEOW genetic sequence in Rose's mind.

Of course, juvenile Rose's memory of the event is that Jaspers had something meaningful and deep to say, not just meow, and she had no memory of the Meow sequence (or the subsequent writing on her own walls).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
What if GCAT is actually a fully sentient first guardian (like Doc Scratch was) who is just masquerading as an rear end in a top hat kitty? Everything that is transpiring is doing so according to some highly convoluted plan of its. :tinfoil:

The question here however would be if all fully sentient/omniscient first guardians work with Lord English or if theres another step required to bring them in line with LE. Bec obviously wasn't working with him, but Scratch was. Since the First Guardian is a creation of the game it wouldn't necessarily follow LE, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

What if GCAT is actually a fully sentient first guardian (like Doc Scratch was) who is just masquerading as an rear end in a top hat kitty? Everything that is transpiring is doing so according to some highly convoluted plan of its. :tinfoil:

The question here however would be if all fully sentient/omniscient first guardians work with Lord English or if theres another step required to bring them in line with LE. Bec obviously wasn't working with him, but Scratch was. Since the First Guardian is a creation of the game it wouldn't necessarily follow LE, right?

The general assumption is that First Guardians aren't allied with Lord English, but things prototyped with magic cue balls are. Doc Scratch is the only one of those we've seen though, and he happened to be both, so it's a bit nebulous.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Olivia42 posted:

Actually, I'd like to give my 16 year old self a hug and tell her it's all going to be okay. :unsmith:

No! No! You must beat them it is the only way they'll learn!

Dolash posted:

I remember when Sburb was just being revealed, in large part by Nanasprite's first monologue, and we thought that the game itself would be the plot. I remember when people thought WV was an imp because he looked like the monsters John fought. I remember the period of confussion after [S]Accelerate, and the shocked mouths hanging open after [S]Descend. I remember thinking the Midnight Crew were just a cameo in-joke and wouldn't be particularly relevant. I remember the very particular arguments that followed after the ectobiology revelation, and the complaints about the troll act dragging on forever ("How long has Jade been falling?").

I was reading back during Problem Sleuth (I liked Homestuck before is was cool :cool:), and I think my favorite memory from those early days on the MSPA forums was Hussie assuring everyone that Homestuck would become just as epic as Problem Sleuth, you just gotta give it time, guys. Reminiscing about those times is kinda fun sometimes, it was such a different comic/community/everything back then. Not better or anything, just different, and it's nice to see what the comic has become since then :)

Jaspers just can't loving stand other cats. And GCat knew this! Because he is also Jaspers! And he hates the Jaspers that he was in the past-

waaaaaaaait a minute

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

GCat is an rear end in a top hat, and isn't nice to sniff.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Step back and think for a moment, assuming this isn't a fakeout, that we've been waiting to see this cat die for almost three years.

This is it. We're doing it.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
It's that look of dawning comprehension that gets me. Just sort of a slow 'ooooooh poo poo' before the book hits. Reminds me of every time I've seen something about to go nastily wrong without being able to stop it in time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Step back and think for a moment, assuming this isn't a fakeout, that we've been waiting to see this cat die for almost three years.

This is it. We're doing it.

I expected the cat to do something first though

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
On the "Appearify." page, the way the book obscures the eyebrows gives Jafrigglishspers this deep look of "Oh. poo poo."

It's terrible and neat at the same time.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
When did we decide Frigglish == Jaspers?

Homestuck fandom sure is confusing!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It would be pretty surprising if he wasn't. This is basically the perfect explanation for his disappearance and death.

(He's also referred to as "cat who is probably Jaspers" here.)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I recall from Jaspers' conversation with Nepeta that he said he'd spent some time as another girl's cat after vanishing.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It would be pretty surprising if he wasn't. This is basically the perfect explanation for his disappearance and death.

(He's also referred to as "cat who is probably Jaspers" here.)

This and he looks exactly the same.

Though honestly it surprises me that they didn't notice that the cause of his death was being crushed.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

When did we decide Frigglish == Jaspers?

Homestuck fandom sure is confusing!

Hussie basically flat out told you that its Jaspers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's also kind of a running joke with HS characters renaming animals as they see fit, like Vodka Mutini/Meowngon Spengler and Casey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I always miss these things. Probably my fault for not having re-read the entire story at any point.