Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Coleman posted:

I can't actually completely agree with this. Given the cube nature of the game, the recipees make as much sense given the creation method used in the game. Most things (not all, but most) do take their basic shape. I grant that it's not something a complete beginner could just come in and be like "oh I get it", but with a little push most things should be pretty understandable to craft.

Now that's not to say this uses the best possible crafting method, the way Terraria does it with just having items in your inventory is probably the most user friendly, but I don't think Minecrafts is so bad given that they're TRYING for a slightly more "difficult" crafting formula.

But if you have no idea what items are possible to craft how can you guess what the recipe would look like?

There's "difficult" wherein the recipes would be scattered through a world, and be recoverable by various means, then there's just plain difficult where there's no hints or anything beyond the woeful tutorial.

Minecraft's crafting sucks balls.

edit: The whole "recipe looks like the item" thing is cute for about 2 seconds, then you wish it was as simple as Terraria.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, you'll respawn at the bed if you die. The compass will just not point to it in multiplayer. It works like it's supposed to in single player,t hough.

Define "supposed to". I remember when it was changed to always point to your current bed, then Notch changed it back because IIRC it always pointing to spawn gave you a "constant reference point" or some poo poo like that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nightwisher posted:

edit: The whole "recipe looks like the item" thing is cute for about 2 seconds, then you wish it was as simple as Terraria.

I disagree - One of the things that I cannot stand about Terraria is having to remember not only which crafting unit (table, large table, anvil, etc.) I have to stand near to craft a thing, but also where in the list of recipes the item I want to craft is. So, if I'm holding onto a bunch of wood, stone, and ingots of different kinds, the list of craftable items can reach well beyond an amount that is reasonable to scroll through. Minecraft's lack of an in-game recipe directory is a definite issue, but the crafting, in and of itself, is by far more efficient in Minecraft.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bbcisdabomb posted:

Define "supposed to". I remember when it was changed to always point to your current bed, then Notch changed it back because IIRC it always pointing to spawn gave you a "constant reference point" or some poo poo like that.

When did it change back?

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know, notch really has become like George Lucas, someone who created something that became far bigger than he could have ever imagined and now the fans all have differing views and expectations beyond his talents and now resent and hate him.

I do think with minecraft, I hope it spawns a new genre of games, created by better and even more creative people.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jamesman posted:

When did it change back?

Something like a week after. There was an uproar in the thread here at the time.

Thinking back, it may have been in an unreleased dev version or something. I remember him responding to a tweet about it with that bullshit reason, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mike's new crafting table suggestion: get rid of the grid, just have ingredient slots instead, and an output grid of icons showing what you can craft with the ingredients. So if you drop in a stack of wood and a stack of sticks, it'll show signs and the wooden tools. Mouseover an item for numbers to appear next to the ingredients slots showing how many of each it'll use up.

And after the stuff you can make, it'll show the stuff you could make with more ingredients, faded out and unclickable. Like if you put coal in as an ingredient, there'll be a faded out torch. Mousing over it will have a faded out stick appear in an empty ingredients slot.

There, relatively convenient and easy to figure out the recipes.

But that's too easy. The problem with Notch (well, one of them) is that he's a roguelike fan, and I think he has this vague image in his mind of wanting Minecraft to be pseudo-roguelike in many ways. That's why there's the unforgiving deaths, the lack of explanation of what to do... he has trouble accepting that he's written a game that's more aimed at the mainstream.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 25, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Keep the grid, whenever you place an ingredient on the grid, start cycling through ghosts of all the possible recipes, as you add more ingredients in the appropriate places, keep limiting the recipe ghosts to only the possible recipes until there's only one. Maybe don't show recipes for ingredients you haven't yet collected.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yellow or Green: Nearest Stronghold.
Since you've reminded me: how come if I smash the portal blocks in one stronghold the Ender Pearl keeps pointing me at the stronghold below my feet rather than a different one?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Because Strongholds are a function of the (x,z) coordinates and not the actual blocks in the world.

Because the taint of the End portal lingers on even after its destruction.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bbcisdabomb posted:

Something like a week after. There was an uproar in the thread here at the time.

Thinking back, it may have been in an unreleased dev version or something. I remember him responding to a tweet about it with that bullshit reason, though.

Well I'll be damned.

Compasses still pointed to your self-generated spawn point when I last played SSP in 1.0, but I just checked and you're right. It did get changed to follow the same logic as SMP.

I don't know how to feel about this. Since I've been playing so much multiplayer, I've just been so used to compasses being useless and substituting maps in their place for finding my way home. Guess it can be applied to singleplayer too.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

MikeJF posted:

The problem with Notch (well, one of them) is that he's a roguelike fan,

Well it's confirmed then; he does have the arseburgers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fire posted:

You know, notch really has become like George Lucas, someone who created something that became far bigger than he could have ever imagined and now the fans all have differing views and expectations beyond his talents and now resent and hate him.

Yeah, and it seems the thread recently has just become 'Why I don't play Minecraft'. I wonder if the official forums are anything like this.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My friend put up a fresh world on his server so a few of us could start fresh. I set up a wheat farm and we proceeded to basically be done with the game. Once you have a supply of food there's basically no reason to do anything anymore. I'm also loving cursed: almost every time I start digging I run into some huge sprawling cave system that we never find the end of.

2 things I noticed:
- Creepers are terrible in multiplayer. In singleplayer I can hit it once, back away until it stops hissing and just repeat the process. In multiplayer if I was close enough for it to hiss at me it just exploded.

-Ravines are a cool idea until you get into one and find out it's impossible to light up because of all the outcroppings so even if you put torches all along the walls and floor you'll still have monsters dropping from the ceiling.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Wrist Watch posted:

Once you have a supply of food there's basically no reason to do anything anymore.

I feel the same way. My problem with Minecraft is that its visual aesthetic is so thick and its palette so limited that it's really hard to build things that have a personal touch. Compound that with the fact that you can't really share your creations and the motivation to build goes out the window.

Whenever I try Minecraft nowadays I'm always like "I'm going to build a big castle." But then, just for kicks, I google "big castle minecraft" and see these epic, sprawling, ridiculous creations that other people have made. Since Minecraft's palette is limited to 3 kinds of 1x1 meter stone blocks, I can't imagine anything I could do to my castle to make it look special or personalized in any way. And even if I did somehow make a castle that was unique, the most I could do is post screenshots on a thread like this one. So I'm always like "you know what, it would be a hundred times more productive to learn the level editor for some other game... or a thousand times more productive to download a free trial of 3d studio max."

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Polo-Rican posted:

But then, just for kicks, I google "big castle minecraft" and see these epic, sprawling, ridiculous creations that other people have made.

Trying to compare your accomplishments against the entire internet using world will pretty much always be a recipe for disaster man.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

I feel the same way. My problem with Minecraft is that its visual aesthetic is so thick and its palette so limited that it's really hard to build things that have a personal touch. Compound that with the fact that you can't really share your creations and the motivation to build goes out the window.
I'd have totally burnt out on Minecraft ages ago if I didn't have a small server to play on with close friends.

And if you build your buildings around the landscape, using the terrain as your inspiration, you'll end up with something unique and satisfying every time.

A tower's just a tower... but a tower on a spectacular cliff side? That's something. Build your castle on a rise by the coast, with irregular walls where they're needed, with the keep at the highest point, and you'll have a castle unlike anything on Youtube, simply because the terrain you're working with is unique.

But eventually you will burn out, and that's a natural consequence of a plot-less sandbox. At that point you just move on. It's nothing to get upset about, and not an inherent problem with Minecraft. You probably got a lot more of quality playtime out of it than most full priced games.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
As far as I can tell, the main problem with Minecraft is that's it's too all over the place. All the useless, unwieldy bullshit that was added in the past year or two needs to get tossed out. The End, the Nether, fortresses, Abandoned mineshafts, experience, enchanting, alchemy, and the like need to get tossed. Redstone needs to be simplified a whole loving lot or outright removed. The new lighting system needs to be scrapped, and the game needs some serious optimization.

After its free of all the excess bullshit that's accumulated over the years, then creative needs to be completely split from survival.

Make lighting for creative entirely optional, no more creepers and endermen to gently caress up everyone's buildings, and remove all the weapons and tools and all that bullshit that doesn't actually do anything in creative.

Survival needs to be made harder, take place in finite worlds with some limited resources, and contain enemies who can threaten the player regardless of what kind of buildings they set up to protect themselves. They shouldn't be things that pop up everywhere and wreck everyone's poo poo, but the occasional rare enemy that come bursting through your door, phases through walls, or something to keep players on edge would make things a hell of a lot more interesting. At the same time, it shouldn't be terribly complex, either. Minecraft will never be a good roguelike, and it needs to stop trying to emulate them. Roguelikes rely on ridiculous amounts of content which absolutely is not possible at minecraft's current rate of development.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Polo-Rican posted:

So I'm always like "you know what, it would be a hundred times more productive to learn the level editor for some other game... or a thousand times more productive to download a free trial of 3d studio max."

This is me, with Unity3D. "Why spend SO MUCH TIME building fake block houses for only myself, when I could be learning how to build fake worlds for others to enjoy?"

Sorry if this bums anyone out, but if you love Minecraft, this probably won't change anything.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Miijhal posted:

As far as I can tell, the main problem with Minecraft is that's it's too all over the place. All the useless, unwieldy bullshit that was added in the past year or two needs to get tossed out. The End, the Nether, fortresses, Abandoned mineshafts, experience, enchanting, alchemy, and the like need to get tossed. Redstone needs to be simplified a whole loving lot or outright removed. The new lighting system needs to be scrapped, and the game needs some serious optimization.

After its free of all the excess bullshit that's accumulated over the years, then creative needs to be completely split from survival.

Make lighting for creative entirely optional, no more creepers and endermen to gently caress up everyone's buildings, and remove all the weapons and tools and all that bullshit that doesn't actually do anything in creative.

Survival needs to be made harder, take place in finite worlds with some limited resources, and contain enemies who can threaten the player regardless of what kind of buildings they set up to protect themselves. They shouldn't be things that pop up everywhere and wreck everyone's poo poo, but the occasional rare enemy that come bursting through your door, phases through walls, or something to keep players on edge would make things a hell of a lot more interesting. At the same time, it shouldn't be terribly complex, either. Minecraft will never be a good roguelike, and it needs to stop trying to emulate them. Roguelikes rely on ridiculous amounts of content which absolutely is not possible at minecraft's current rate of development.

Yeah man, just remove some of the precious few features and limit the player more, that'll solve the game's problems!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

I see what you're saying, but minecraft creative was never meant to be a replacement for game development toolkits.

Some people just want to derp around with some lego. If you want to build a life-sized working car, and have the required amount of autism, you might be able to create some silly contraption out of lego (that needs someone to push it, and falls apart if you sit in it) - but if you're serious about it, you're better off learning automotive engineering and getting busy in the garage.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jamesman posted:

Well I'll be damned.

Compasses still pointed to your self-generated spawn point when I last played SSP in 1.0, but I just checked and you're right. It did get changed to follow the same logic as SMP.

I don't know how to feel about this. Since I've been playing so much multiplayer, I've just been so used to compasses being useless and substituting maps in their place for finding my way home. Guess it can be applied to singleplayer too.

Yeah, with all the :notch: that's been going around lately the matter of compasses has really been made moot. It's just one more stupid decision :v:

I personally only roll SMP with Bukkit, so I use Dynmap when I need directions. gently caress compasses, I have satellite imagery!

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
So has everybody seen the teaser of the new mob? It kinda looks like a snake to me, but people were talking about jon mentioning monkeys? Not entirely sure...

(in the grass on the right)

Azurius fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 25, 2012

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
All I see is a duck and whatever the hell might be behind that long grass on the right. It better be a monkey :argh:

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
I think it's a tiger, was hoping for monkeys.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

The real question is: how obnoxious will its sound effects be?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would be delighted if it turned out to be monkeys (unofficial ideas man for Minecraft up in here), but since we all know it wouldn't drop bananas for you to make banana bread and peel traps from and have them worshipping an obelisk and whatnot, then it would still be kind of a letdown.

It's probably a tiger.

Also, jungle chicken.

Edit: What would tigers drop that would even be worthwhile in the current state of the game? Their stripes, to use as a dye for tiger-striped wool?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 25, 2012

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm more interested in that humongous tree in the background. I mean, it's easily bigger than any of the ones in the other previews.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Vib Rib posted:

I'm more interested in that humongous tree in the background. I mean, it's easily bigger than any of the ones in the other previews.

If it's a tiger I'm gonna be pissed. So uncreative. I'd much rather monkeys, or snakes.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Azurius posted:

So has everybody seen the teaser of the new mob? It kinda looks like a snake to me, but people were talking about jon mentioning monkeys? Not entirely sure...

Looks like a wild Mod API... or a feral Optimized Code Beast...

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Polo-Rican posted:

That's ridiculous, everyone knows those don't exist.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Polo-Rican posted:

Hard to call it a beast, really. It's more like an adorable kitten! :3:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
How hard is it to add new mods to the game?

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

A giant tree-mob would be best and worst thing they could come up with. The scene playing out in my head is hilarious.

R4WK
Jun 12, 2003
lol klerck lol

Monster w21 Faces posted:

How hard is it to add new mods to the game?

Create a new class, extend one of a couple of AI entities. Make a render class. Then a model class.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

The real question is: how obnoxious will its sound effects be?

It will be the standard Zombie sound effect as per all other new mobs.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Borden posted:

It will be the standard Zombie sound effect as per all other new mobs.

I hate the zombie sound because all I can imagine is Notch recording himself eating porridge or something. :gonk:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Gentwise posted:

Yeah man, just remove some of the precious few features and limit the player more, that'll solve the game's problems!

You mean the features that are either broken (floating abandoned mineshafts EVERYWHERE, Testificates that just wander around until they die), stupid (The End), or stupidly implemented (alchemy, experience, enchanting, redstone)? Yeah.

A good game isn't made of hundreds of half-assed features. If any of those features were better planned, and better fit into the game, they'd be fine. But they're not. They're haphazardly tossed in, creating a game that has a ton of complexity, but no enjoyable content. Building isn't terribly fun when just placing two doors next to each other causes the game to gently caress itself unless you want to make some ridiculously large network of redstone, and then you get to worry about creepers coming in and loving up your projects. Survival isn't fun because there's absolutely no survival to it. It takes about 15 minutes to make an invincible fortress once you've got some coal. There's no other goal or exciting content after that point. You've won!

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 26, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Honestly, I've stopped myself from making this post like, half a dozen times, but if you're bitching about features outside the mod API, you really need to hie thee to the Modding thread and pick either Yogsbox or Technic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

redmercer posted:

Honestly, I've stopped myself from making this post like, half a dozen times, but if you're bitching about features outside the mod API, you really need to hie thee to the Modding thread and pick either Yogsbox or Technic.
Point taken.

Though gently caress, the mod API needs to happen.