Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Wow, not sure how I feel about these. Radiant Historia and Bastion definitely deserve their place there, but they left out some good games. Like, say, Dark Souls? I see they added it to "best battle system" category, but, 3rd place? What the hell. Also, why would they give Fate/Extra a 2nd place spot in the "Most Original" category when they gave it a 2.5 rating?! Eh, gently caress RPGamer.
Where do you all go for rpg news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

casual poster posted:

Wow, not sure how I feel about these. Radiant Historia and Bastion definitely deserve their place there, but they left out some good games. Like, say, Dark Souls? I see they added it to "best battle system" category, but, 3rd place? What the hell. Also, why would they give Fate/Extra a 2nd place spot in the "Most Original" category when they gave it a 2.5 rating?! Eh, gently caress RPGamer.

If you can ignore the lovely community, RPG Codex has good info on western RPGs.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have a DS(lite) but haven't bought much games on it except the Pokemon games from time to time. Can someone recommend worthwhile Jrpgs?

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Didn't a whole bunch of Final Fantasy games get released for the DS in one cartridge? Final Fantasy is pretty much the JRPG

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I've been chewing through all my PSX era jrpgs recently and critically reading every single one of them now that I am An Adult. So far, bsolutely every single game has some big important aspect to it that I never noticed the first time around. I'm only going through the ones that I never really gave a lot of attention to before, and it all started when I popped in FF8 and realized that it's perfectly acceptable for Squall to act the way he did since he clearly had depression, and anxiety disorder at least, and probably schitzophrenia and megalomania on top of that. Also, I never knew SaGa Frontier was so easy to break open and dominate for every single character. Not sure what to go through next though, I'm thinking Legend of Dragoon since I hear that the dialogue in that is the literary equivalent to being kicked in the back of your knee.

edit: DS RPGs: Final Fantasy 3&4, Radiant Historia, any Etrian Odyssey, four numbered Dragon Quest games and two Monsters spin-offs, that DBZ RPG wasn't that bad. The DS is actually a pretty good system for jrpg-ey poo poo

Hawaiian Shirt fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 25, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lord Solitare posted:

Final Fantasy is pretty much the JRPG

This kind of statement makes me cry, because there's so much more variety in JRPGs if you just look for it, especially nowadays when 'Final Fantasy' pretty much counts as a swearword.

quote:

Can someone recommend worthwhile Jrpgs?

- The World Ends With You is probably the most JRPGy JRPG on the DS and one of the few games to make really good use of the stylus. Awesome score, a lot more plot than you'd expect, engaging battle system, crossdressing.

- Radiant Historia is a fantasy RPG where an intelligence agent has to try to cope with a war between two neighbouring states while also travelling back and forth through time. Turn-based, based on positioning and setting up combos between your party members.

- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is about a bunch of marines who go off to the Antarctic to stop a black cloud from swallowing earth and then have to go explore it while talking to and/or beating up a whole ton of demons. More focus on exploration and maps.

- Not quite a traditional JRPG, the Etrian Odyssey series is a collection of three classic dungeon crawlers, done from first person perspective as you wander through labyrinths filled with monsters and rather annoying layouts. Focus is on exploration and getting your rear end handed to you by FOEs.

- The Mario + Luigi RPGs are fun and often very silly romps that are cheesy and simplistic at the best of times but do a very good job of integrating action into RPG turn-based mechanics. Also they have a mustache stat.

- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner is more demons, but this time there's a strategy RPG bent to the game and it's all about a bunch of kids trapped in a city while it fills with different warring power factions and everything goes to poo poo.

- A lot of people will give Suikoden Tierkreis poo poo for not following the Suikoden series standards, but it did well in reviews and I felt it was a pretty solid play as long as you weren't expecting to actually get Suikoden 2.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is middlingly okay if you can cope with really, really dumb cliche games. I have no idea about the DS Kingdom Hearts game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stelas posted:

- Not quite a traditional JRPG, the Etrian Odyssey series is a collection of three classic dungeon crawlers, done from first person perspective as you wander through labyrinths filled with monsters and rather annoying layouts. Focus is on exploration and getting your rear end handed to you by FOEs.
I had a lot of fun with EO2. Never played 3 or 1 (since I only tried it out starting with the second entry, and heard that it improved a lot of the sketchy poo poo from the first game), but damnned if that wasn't an enjoyable dungeon crawl. Fun soundtrack, too. You can check out the first one if you want, but I'll definitely say that the second is a fantastic little game if you're into that style.

quote:

- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner is more demons, but this time there's a strategy RPG bent to the game and it's all about a bunch of kids trapped in a city while it fills with different warring power factions and everything goes to poo poo.
Including the story itself :downs: It was like Jesus Christ the writers need to get over themselves, seriously I wanna fuckin' slap everyone in that entire goddamn game, except for the guy in his 30s who is also kinda stupid sometimes and you know what I wanna slap him too. Skip this steaming pile if you know what's good for you.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 25, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I had a lot of fun with EO2.

I think 3 was the tightest game in the series. It had a bunch of unique classes, a neat subclass system that gave you a lot of options, some vague hints of plot, and a huge great logic puzzle disguised as a jolly sea voyage, all of which rocked. It just didn't have much in the way of difficulty - but it did get around that somewhat by giving you a series of optional bosses where you were forced into dealing with NPC helpers taking up slots in your roster.

quote:

Including the story itself :downs:

Oh yeah, I make no apologies for that. I included it because I kind of like the combination RPG-strategy thing it had going on, but I never got that far in the game so I don't know if it all falls apart later on when you have the right demons to carve the game open, or something like that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Stelas posted:

Survivor, not Summoner. ;)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Stelas posted:

Recommended JRPGs...

Nice list, a few questions.

I never played any of the SMT games, will that be a hindrance?

What about Lunar, Tales Of, Mana'games? I have seen some discussion about those games in this thread, are they any good?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ulio posted:

I never played any of the SMT games, will that be a hindrance?

You might be unprepared for how hard they can get sometimes, otherwise not really.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Stelas posted:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is middlingly okay if you can cope with really, really dumb cliche games.

Disagree. Aside from the story, all the Golden Sun games are good fun. They've got dungeons with Zelda-esque puzzles that rely on your newly obtained abilities, an interesting gimmick with the Djinn and class customization, awesome battle and summon effects, and a classic FF style world map with hidden areas and sidequests aplenty.

EDIT: Where's my sequel dammit :mad:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Survivor, not Summoner. ;)

:negative:

DS Tales games are Japan-only, I think. DS Mana games went all strange and RTS-ey with Children of Mana, annnd... I don't have the faintest re: Lunar.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

SpazmasterX posted:

Disagree. Aside from the story, all the Golden Sun games are good fun. They've got dungeons with Zelda-esque puzzles that rely on your newly obtained abilities, an interesting gimmick with the Djinn and class customization, awesome battle and summon effects, and a classic FF style world map with hidden areas and sidequests aplenty.

Golden Sun DS is also mind-numbingly tedious, filled with tons of cut-scenes, and by cut scenes, I mean looking at generic anime characters talk at an agonizing pace, and they have a LOT to say, and NONE of it is interesting or new.

But where it's a game can be fun. I didn't stick with it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

I agree with this though I think that Golden Sun DS was the weakest of the three games. I love the puzzles that really make you use your abilities creatively, but DS puzzles felt easier than GS 1&2. maybe it was just me.

I'd love to see a console Golden Sun one day but I know it will never happen.

^^^^^
EDIT: They do talk a lot in GS DS.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So, I feel like I'm going to get destroyed for this, but I love, love, love the battles systems of the Star Ocean and Tales series. Unfortunately, I absolutely cannot stand the plot of most JRPGS. Is there something out there that has a similar fast paced ARPG feeling to it (preferably with challenging battles), hopefully with an event skip feature?

I'm basically looking for a DMC game that has numbers pop out over people's heads when you hit them. It's my dream game.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I liked the Devil Survivor story so don't let him get you down! Devil Survivor 2's coming soon, and though the character designs are atrocious (boobs do not stick straight up) excited for that too.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mune posted:

So, I feel like I'm going to get destroyed for this, but I love, love, love the battles systems of the Star Ocean and Tales series. Unfortunately, I absolutely cannot stand the plot of most JRPGS. Is there something out there that has a similar fast paced ARPG feeling to it (preferably with challenging battles), hopefully with an event skip feature?

I'm basically looking for a DMC game that has numbers pop out over people's heads when you hit them. It's my dream game.

Have you tried the Kingdoms of Amalur demo?

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Wendell posted:

Have you tried the Kingdoms of Amalur demo?

I haven't, although I've read through the thread and plan on checking out the game when it comes out, it doesn't help me right now unfortunately :sigh:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stelas posted:

I have no idea about the DS Kingdom Hearts game.

385/2 was bad bad bad and basically "KH2 plot^2" with some fun gameplay mechanic- you know what, in fact, both had cool gameplay SYSTEMS but were miserable to PLAY. That's the KH series on DS.

Similarly in an action-RPG vein was the Lufia 2 remake which I actually liked even if it was campy as hell and had you travelling around with what was effectively Doc Emmett Brown.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

casual poster posted:

It took them like three months to review Dark Souls so I think they either collectively had trouble playing it or just don't care for it.

As for your second question, I think RPGFan is pretty decent for both news and reviews of JRPG stuff.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Similarly in an action-RPG vein was the Lufia 2 remake which I actually liked even if it was campy as hell and had you travelling around with what was effectively Doc Emmett Brown.

Oh, right, I forgot about that one. I don't think I ever played it, because I was a little iffy about how well they'd be able to do an action RPG and because the character designs looked a little wonky.

I guess there's also Avalon Code but I think I'm the only person who liked that, mostly because it was kind of janky to actually play. Best gameplay ideas I'd seen in ages, though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Stelas posted:

I guess there's also Avalon Code but I think I'm the only person who liked that, mostly because it was kind of janky to actually play. Best gameplay ideas I'd seen in ages, though.

It was repetitive as poo poo and that is what kept me from enjoying it. Good ideas though, totally seconding this.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, due to the most boring month of gaming I've seen in a while, and with nothing that I really want coming out until the Vita hits, I've decided to spend my time playing the poo poo RPGs I've collected over the years. So hopefully over the next month, I'll be able to make my way through Agarest, Neptunia, Cross Edge, and maybe even Last Rebellion.

:suicide:

Anyways, I thought I might as well ask, is there anyone here who managed to trudge through the full slog of any of these games? Since just making my way through them once is bad enough, are there any retarded 'true ending' requirements I need to keep in mind during playthroughs? Might as well get my dumb rear end some trophies along the way.

Edit: vvv Why? Because I have to prove to myself that I can't let a little disc of plastic beat my willpower. I must show it that I am truly the better man. I'll show it good. (Either that, or I made a rather lucrative bet, and want to at least give it a shot. Take your pick.)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 25, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I have one simple question: Why? I can't believe that those are the only games you have that you haven't finished yet.

And even if they are, go out and get some others.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
See my response to that is "how much do you want for Cross Edge when you're done with it" because I want to beat that trainwreck but don't want to pay $20 for it and its weird rarity means it still won't come down.

To be honest part of me kinda wants to take out all 4 but Cross Edge is my white whale.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

See my response to that is "how much do you want for Cross Edge when you're done with it" because I want to beat that trainwreck but don't want to pay $20 for it and its weird rarity means it still won't come down.

To be honest part of me kinda wants to take out all 4 but Cross Edge is my white whale.

I'd loving give it to you, assuming you cover the shipping. I want that thing OUT.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Man PM me with your zip code so I can work out shipping and I might take you up on this.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

Anyways, I thought I might as well ask, is there anyone here who managed to trudge through the full slog of any of these games?

Ha ha haaa all except Last Rebellion :suicide:

quote:

Why?

Partially because I love playing terrible games, and partially because for all their many, many flaws, each of them tried to do something a bit different and very nearly succeeded and that kind of thing really interests me. Agarest and Cross Edge both tried to make interesting and original battle systems and it would have worked were it not for their really slow pace and their sometimes balls-hard difficulty, not to mention Agarest's tremendously shameless amounts of fanservice. Neptunia's commentary on the gaming industry is surprisingly trenchant, but it hides it by front-loading all the awful crap to try to drive everyone away.

True Ending notes:
Agarest's true ending requires you to collect all the characters and be Neutral at the end of the game. Usually this requires progressing through the game at a reasonably quick pace and not stopping to farm too much because you'll waste days.

Cross Edge's true ending involves getting the majority of events, killing certain bosses, not killing certain bosses, overkilling certain bosses, the list goes on and on. Save your sanity, play both these games with a guide next to you, Cross Edge more so.

Neptunia's true ending involves you getting all the characters, which mostly involves repeatedly running the same missions over and over to manipulate the power standings of the different worlds.

I don't know about a 'boring month of gaming', though. God knows they're going to be divisive games but there's still FF13-2, Mass Effect 3, Tales of Graces F and Devil Survivor 2 on the way.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

True Ending notes:

hahahaha gently caress my life hahaha

Oh man. This will be something. I look forward to the end of this, in which case any game I play will look like the greatest poo poo to grace mother earth. Or I could just pony up and buy Agarest Zero. In the meantime, my gross sarcastic laughter will transition seamlessly to uncontrollable sobbing.

Stelas posted:

I don't know about a 'boring month of gaming', though. God knows they're going to be divisive games but there's still FF13-2, Mass Effect 3, Tales of Graces F and Devil Survivor 2 on the way.

FFXIII-2 I'm putting off on until it's cheap, which should be about two weeks, and the others I either don't care about or are from series I just don't like. How that's different from the idiocy I'm thinking of attempting, don't ask me.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

mune posted:

Resonance of Fate is your game, then. And the story doesn't take itself very seriously (mild spoilers for chapter 5).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh right, I also forgot: Cross Edge and Agarest are both also really good if you're the sort of person who likes working their way through involved crafting or working out how to best use a limited pool of action points, which you'll need to do if you want to play them on Hard or reliably do well enough to get the True Ending! Such fun!

S-Alpha posted:

Or I could just pony up and buy Agarest Zero.

A cursory look around for screenshows showed Agarest Zero was even more shameless than Agarest, to the point where I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. If you manage it I want to see what kind of trainwreck the LP would be. :colbert:

Stelas fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 25, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I did play a cursory bit of all of these games, generally enough to make my way through a couple intro battles and a cutscene or two. I think the furthest I ever got my way through was Neptunia, because it's the only one whose battle system I didn't utterly despise.

I'm also not above making use of the disgusting amounts of free/one buck DLC out for most/all of these, just to make the suffering last not quite as long. They will bend me, not break me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

mune posted:

I'll second Resonance of Fate and... to be quite honest, it sounds like you'd do well at Dragon Age 2. It can be faulted for a whole lot of things, but if you just want to zone out and slaughter a bunch of bad guys it's right up there.

Alternatively, if you haven't tried them, you should really give Yakuza 4 a go. The Yakuza series are action beat-em-ups with RPG levels of plot, minigames and sidequests. They're not as complex as Tales in terms of combos but they're still pretty rad.

ScarletOHara
May 21, 2007

Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.
Is there any consent on what the best RPG (maybe even jrpg) on 360 is? I just got one and the last rpg I played that I liked enough to beat was FF10 like 8 years ago. I know the 360 isn't the greatest for games like that, but I am still looking for mostly an engaging story (I don't care how corny it is) and some decent game mechanics that can take up like 40 hours if I want it to.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia are the two classics you want to pick up if you want strict RPGs. Tales is much more JRGG than LO and has probably better gameplay. LO has a cooler steampunk/magic setting and is much more serious, and has Jansen.

After that you have Dark Souls and Nier for action RPGs. The former is gameplay heaven, the latter is story/music heaven (well the story is pretty crazy actually but you have to see it for yourself).

Then you have FF13, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean, Manga Carta, and Last Remnant. All of these have pretty serious pros/cons to each so do some research or just ask us for more details. I personally loved Resonance of Fate and Last Remnant (but you should play Remnant on the PC at this point, it is a superior version).

Games I have not mentioned but I know exist on the 360: Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Eternal Sonata, the Fable series. In the case of ME2 and Fallout NV, those are good games but I preferred to play them on the PC.

It's actually a better system for RPGs than you may think since a lot of games get dual releases with the PS3.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 25, 2012

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

ScarletOHara posted:

Is there any consent on what the best RPG (maybe even jrpg) on 360 is? I just got one and the last rpg I played that I liked enough to beat was FF10 like 8 years ago. I know the 360 isn't the greatest for games like that, but I am still looking for mostly an engaging story (I don't care how corny it is) and some decent game mechanics that can take up like 40 hours if I want it to.

Star Ocean 4, has an absolutely terrible story, but i enjoyed the play (Im a sucker for the Star Ocean Battle System)

MagnaCarta 2, While completely broken with the DLC pack, and levelling up, has 120? Sidequests, and a decent story.

The Last Remnant, I think had a good story, but a really weird battle system

Infinite UnDiscovery - Probably the most balanced in terms of story/jrpg elements. But there are way to many characters you dont really bond with.

That release dayish golem rpg - I laughed way to hard at how ridiculous the story is, and it has a tactic's esque battle system. But it is a decent play.

Resonance of Fate - Probably the deepest customizing system in a game. But a not so serious story. one of my favorites.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Rascyc pretty much got it. Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are the ones to check out first.

ScarletOHara
May 21, 2007

Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.
Tales of Vesperia looked ok, the combat system sounds pretty goofy and uninvolved though, I hate having to button mash through an RPG.

Lost Odyssey looks amazing. It's weird though, I can't believe I have never heard of this game before. Looking at the amazon reviews a few people said if you liked FF10 you will like this game, so that sounds about right, I am going to try and pick a copy up for cheap. I have been missing turn based RPGS like crazy, thanks yall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ScarletOHara posted:

Tales of Vesperia looked ok, the combat system sounds pretty goofy and uninvolved though, I hate having to button mash through an RPG.

The Tales battle system takes some getting used to, but it's anything but uninvolved once you get the hang of it. Button mashing will only get you so far compared to learning how to execute combos.