Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Yeah, I was doing that when it was daily, just without the sirens/bolding. Mainly because i generally post from my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

omnibobb posted:

Yeah, I was doing that when it was daily, just without the sirens/bolding. Mainly because i generally post from my phone.

That's cool, I was just thinking the sirens / bold thing would help it stand out a little more as a general "discussion will be about this now" thing. Either way, thanks for the thread, I can't wait to get more involved.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I really like Book 2 personally, but hey different strokes. I think Book 3 is my favourite by one of my best friends didn't really like it all that much. The climax of Book 2 is especially cool.

You hopethe seanchan will play a bigger role huh?

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

I love this part of the series though, where Rand and Mat are on the run. Them being alone and pretty much powerless to do anything is such contrast to later in the series. I am wondering however, if Moiraine had Rand pegged as the Dragon from the start? If his clearly not-Two Rivers ethnicity wasn't a bit of a giveaway, the fact that he has a heron marked sword would be a pretty big clue. I think she would be working on that assumption, anyways

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is New Spring going to be included in this re-read at any point?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Aw man, today's is when we're supposed to be done with book 1 right? I just found this thread, and have always wanted to read the WOT series, so I'm going to start now and get caught up ASAP :)

edit -- oh just up to Chapter 35, nice.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 23, 2012

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jedit posted:

Are you joking?

If it were, I'd imagine it'd have to be until all the crap it reveals before it's revealed in the main series has been read. Whenever the hell that is.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

terminal mehmet posted:

Are you joking?

If it were, I'd imagine it'd have to be until all the crap it reveals before it's revealed in the main series has been read. Whenever the hell that is.

If it helps, I read it between books 7-8 and thought it fit well. It could also be that my mind just skimmed over small details I haven't seen yet, so take it for what you will.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

terminal mehmet posted:

Are you joking?

Yeah, if you read it in strictly chronological order it kinda spoils a lot of stuff. The entire reveal at the end of book one is spoiled in like the first couple of chapters. It does provide interesting insight into the Aes Sedai and borderlands and such though, so I'd probably say we should slip it in in release-order, if that doesn't interfere with the schedule too much. It's pretty short anyways so shouldn't take too long to read.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think New Spring came out around the time of book 10. Really theres only two main things to get out of New Spring.

It was the first time that you learn what the test to become Aes Sedai is like and what the ceremony involving the oath rod is. This is also the first time you really get a good look at how stupid Aes Sedai are in regards to how they take orders from whomever is the stongest in the power.

Secondly, you get to see how Moiraine dedicates her life to finding the Dragon reborn and how she bonds Lan.

The first point gets re-iterated in book 12 I think when Nynaeve goes through the same test.

The second point is kinda told through flashbacks and maybey briefly mentioned by Moiraine at points throughout the main series. However it is cool to see it actually happen.

Bottom line, read New Spring if you are a Lan or Moiraine fanboy, otherwise its not really crucial to the over-all series. The book is 75% filler, 15% lovely Aes Sedai politics, and 10% kickass fight scenes. The ending is cool though and makes the slog through the book worth it in my opinion.

Siuan did get on my nerves with her constant "Fishguts!" crap. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, theres also implied pillowfriends sex if your into that, and I think Lan gets raped pretty badly as well.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 23, 2012

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I love this part of the series though, where Rand and Mat are on the run. Them being alone and pretty much powerless to do anything is such contrast to later in the series. I am wondering however, if Moiraine had Rand pegged as the Dragon from the start? If his clearly not-Two Rivers ethnicity wasn't a bit of a giveaway, the fact that he has a heron marked sword would be a pretty big clue. I think she would be working on that assumption, anyways

I'm pretty sure that she did considering he's the only one that channels. I'm pretty sure that she mainly kept the other two on as bait to confuse Ba'alzamon.

Anyways, I just started up reading TEOTW, I know I'm a bit behind, but I'll probably be able to catch up pretty fast.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

berenzen posted:

I'm pretty sure that she did considering he's the only one that channels. I'm pretty sure that she mainly kept the other two on as bait to confuse Ba'alzamon.

Anyways, I just started up reading TEOTW, I know I'm a bit behind, but I'll probably be able to catch up pretty fast.

Well, as of now, she doesn't know he can channel But yeah, being born out of the Two Rivers is a big red flag.

:siren: Week 3, Eye of the World - FINISH THE BOOK! :siren:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berenzen posted:

I'm pretty sure that she mainly kept the other two on as bait to confuse Ba'alzamon.

No, because Mat and Perrin were also both ta'veren. She remarks repeatedly how unusual it is to find three ta'veren in the same village, all born within weeks of each other.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Has anybody else found any hints towards Moraine and Thom's romance? It should happen sometime in this novel, because she sees him a total of once more before she's sent to the snakes and foxes.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

berenzen posted:

Has anybody else found any hints towards Moraine and Thom's romance? It should happen sometime in this novel, because she sees him a total of once more before she's sent to the snakes and foxes.

It's all over the first book if you pay attention. Read their first meeting and when Moiraine talks about who she'd marry, in particular. These two are masters at saying things with a glance or with silence or by saying something else entirely.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

terminal mehmet posted:

It's all over the first book if you pay attention. Read their first meeting and when Moiraine talks about who she'd marry, in particular. These two are masters at saying things with a glance or with silence or by saying something else entirely.

They are both Daes Daemar-ing it up to the full Cairheinen-level excellence you would expect.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Oh, nice! I was looking to re-read this series to get caught up-to-date, and it looks like I'll have an ample amount of people to point out mind-blowing poo poo that I missed the first (and probably this second) time around.

To actually contribute before getting started on reading, I was wondering if I was alone in noticing something. This goes out to folks who've already read at least to book four, possibly early in book five, and are fans of Mat: By book Five, Mat pretty much has his shtick down solid as being the jokester in the group and even has a recurring descriptive theme (heavy jacket, stylish hat, mischievous half-smile). Nothing truly spoiler-worthy. However, while reading a portion relating to his almost innate ability to be a smooth and successful womanizer, I accidentally dropped the book. Upon picking it up I noticed Robert Jordan on the back-panel wearing a jacket, stylish hat, and a mischievous half-grin; which my mind instantly picked up as "Mat is Jordan's stand-in during the novels." I laughed my rear end off for a minute straight, and still chuckle sometimes whenever Mat does something extraordinary. I'm probably mistaken, but still thought it was amusing enough to share.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ReverendLondo posted:

Oh, nice! I was looking to re-read this series to get caught up-to-date, and it looks like I'll have an ample amount of people to point out mind-blowing poo poo that I missed the first (and probably this second) time around.

To actually contribute before getting started on reading, I was wondering if I was alone in noticing something. This goes out to folks who've already read at least to book four, possibly early in book five, and are fans of Mat: By book Five, Mat pretty much has his shtick down solid as being the jokester in the group and even has a recurring descriptive theme (heavy jacket, stylish hat, mischievous half-smile). Nothing truly spoiler-worthy. However, while reading a portion relating to his almost innate ability to be a smooth and successful womanizer, I accidentally dropped the book. Upon picking it up I noticed Robert Jordan on the back-panel wearing a jacket, stylish hat, and a mischievous half-grin; which my mind instantly picked up as "Mat is Jordan's stand-in during the novels." I laughed my rear end off for a minute straight, and still chuckle sometimes whenever Mat does something extraordinary. I'm probably mistaken, but still thought it was amusing enough to share.

I thought Lan was supposed to be Robert Jordan's stand in?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Jedit posted:

Oh, yeah, but early on they have an excuse for not doing what Moiraine says - she's Aes Sedai. Everyone is afraid of the One Power, and almost nobody trusts Aes Sedai despite their Oaths. Much later on, a sister suggests that the Oaths actually hurt more than they help; Aes Sedai cannot lie, but as a result they've become so good at obfuscating that nobody ever believes they say what they mean anyway.

I might be wrong, but isn't that sister Verin? Because (Book 12 spoiler) she would certainly know. More excellent foreshadowing if true.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm surprised no one made the reference to the tales that are stated to be from "The Age before the Age of Legends" and how they are references to our Age.

Lenn, flying in the belly of an eagle full of fire- A reference to John Glenn, confirmed by RJ

His daughter, Salya, walking among the stars- A reference to Sally Ride, confirmed by RJ

Mosk the Giant, with his lance of fire that could reach around the world- Possibly a reference to Moscow

Elsbet, the Queen of All- Possibly a reference to Queen Elizabeth

Materese the Healer- possibly a reference to Mother Theresa

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

berenzen posted:

I'm surprised no one made the reference to the tales that are stated to be from "The Age before the Age of Legends" and how they are references to our Age.

Lenn, flying in the belly of an eagle full of fire- A reference to John Glenn, confirmed by RJ

His daughter, Salya, walking among the stars- A reference to Sally Ride, confirmed by RJ

Mosk the Giant, with his lance of fire that could reach around the world- Possibly a reference to Moscow

Mosk (Moscow) fought Merk (America) with the lances of fire.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Jedit posted:

I'm planning on squeezing in New Spring after Book 10. That's when it was published and based on a very brief Google session that seems like a good time for it. Sounds like the thread will be skipping it though. I don't really mind either way, I can catch back up in Book 11.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berenzen posted:

All of these are basically confirmed. You did, however, forget to mention that the tales of Anla, the Wise Counsellor are a reference to the advice column "Ask Ann Landers".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
You know, I really got into fantasy back when the Song of Ice and Fire books got popular (when they started getting posted here, probably around the time A Feast for Crows came out). After reading ASoIaF, everyone I knew in real life that had read both said, "don't bother with Robert Jordan, he's no GRRM."

I'm so glad I decided to start this series on a whim. I'm only a few chapters into Eye of the World, but the characters are pretty good and the writing is pretty gripping.

My only problem is the generic fantasy names :( How does one pronounce Nynaeve? Nuh-neyv? Nai-neyve? What about Egwene? Egg-when? Uh-gween?

I really did get spoiled with people having fairly normal-rear end names in ASoIaF.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I say NIGH-neev and EG-when.

:edit: AFAIK there is no official pronunciation guide.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I say nin-ey-ev although I know it's incorrect and Eg-when. I do think that ASoIaF's naming conventions are superior, of course, unless you're drawing from historical names (see: Gene Wolfe). The Wheel of Time is probably inferior to AsoIaF in many ways but it is different. The layers of plot and world building are really incomparable to anything else. I just wish Jordan's prose was a bit tighter and he didn't model all women on his wife.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I say NIGH-neev and EG-when.

:edit: AFAIK there is no official pronunciation guide.

The backs of each of the mass-market TOR paperbacks have pronunciation guides.

It's "Nigh-Neev" and "Eg-Wayne."

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Jordan loves vowels.

If you ever speak with someone else about the series in person, those pronunciation guides will be a godsend. While we're on the subject: it's MWA-rain, not MOY-rain (though as the guide will tell you, the inflection is MoiRAINE), and a-YEEL, not ALE.

We had to keep one open back when we did the old Wheel of Time RPG that came out way back when (i was a Red Ajah :allears:), but no one, no one got "Cairhien" right for more than one sentence.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Mazed posted:

Jordan loves vowels.

If you ever speak with someone else about the series in person, those pronunciation guides will be a godsend. While we're on the subject: it's MWA-rain, not MOY-rain (though as the guide will tell you, the inflection is MoiRAINE), and a-YEEL, not ALE.

We had to keep one open back when we did the old Wheel of Time RPG that came out way back when (i was a Red Ajah :allears:), but no one, no one got "Cairhien" right for more than one sentence.

It's "KAI-ree-in," right? My brain will never, ever stop saying "Care-Heen" no matter what I do.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It's "KAI-ree-in," right? My brain will never, ever stop saying "Care-Heen" no matter what I do.

KAYE-ree-in I believe. And yeah, then you have all the Old Tongue-based words like Tuatha'an, Ta'veren and Tel'aran'rhiod. Once you start chaining them together, it gets even worse.

Oh, has anyone else thought that the inscription on the Horn of Valere might also reference Ishamael's reborn form? Alongside it's actual meaning?

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 25, 2012

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.

The backs of each of the mass-market TOR paperbacks have pronunciation guides.

It's "Nigh-Neev" and "Eg-Wayne."

that's how the audiobook guy pronounces them too. He had some pretty good pronunciations for cities and random names in the first book.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I've always said it 'Nin-KNAVE'.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Mazed posted:

Jordan loves vowels.

He also loving loves apostrophes. It comes up more later, when we see more of the old tongue, but drat. I was always hesitant about a WoT RPG. I love the setting, but a lot of the cool stuff I would want to include the Asha'man for example, don't appear until far later in the story, and given the way the story goes, the setting could be totally different by the time the plot is finished, and I always think dealing with canon characters just comes across as dumb fanwankery.

So I just finished the book today. All in all, it is every bit as good as I remember, I even picked up on a few things I missed in my previous readthroughs, which is always a plus. I never really realised before how much was set up this early. And the "main party" in this book includes some of my favourite characters from the story. Except Egwene, she sucks. If this is anyone here's first read through of the story, I'd recommend rereading the series, or at least this book, at least once. There are a LOT of things, especially in the climax of this story, that take on entirely different meanings when you know more of what is going on.

Favourite foreshadowing line (paraphrased): Rand "I'll never channel again, I'd rather cut off my own hand than use the one power."

We also get a few of the poetic prophecy styled phrases in this book, a few of which will turn up again, as well as more in later books. "The Land is one with the Dragon, and the Dragon is one with the Land" and "The Grave is No Bar to My Call" are some of my favourites in the whole series, even and they show up here.

berenzen: ishamael's reborn form is named Moridin because it is the word for death/grave in the Old Tongue, so they just share the same word. The Old Tongue is basically grammatically identical to english but with different words, which he is pretty consistent with. You can even pick up on commonalities in various names. Shadar Logoth, Mashadar, Machin Shin all share similar word parts for the same thing, for instance.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

berenzen: ishamael's reborn form is named Moridin because it is the word for death/grave in the Old Tongue, so they just share the same word. The Old Tongue is basically grammatically identical to english but with different words, which he is pretty consistent with. You can even pick up on commonalities in various names. Shadar Logoth, Mashadar, Machin Shin all share similar word parts for the same thing, for instance.

Oh I know, but the whole series is essentially Chekov's masturbatory fantasy. Chances are that there isn't any connection, but you couldn't colour me surprised if there actually was a link.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Prison Warden posted:

We also get a few of the poetic prophecy styled phrases in this book, a few of which will turn up again, as well as more in later books. "The Land is one with the Dragon, and the Dragon is one with the Land" and "The Grave is No Bar to My Call" are some of my favourites in the whole series, even and they show up here.

The spoilered bit is also my favorite chapter title in the entire series.

berenzen posted:

Chekov's masturbatory fantasy

This made me imagine a very strange foreshadowing sequence.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Prison Warden posted:

Favourite foreshadowing line (paraphrased): Rand "I'll never channel again, I'd rather cut off my own hand than use the one power."

The best version of that is later on "I'll cut off my own hand before I hurt you (Min)"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KAI-ree-EHN.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
In my mind it's:
KAI-ree-in
Ni-neev
Mwo-rain (ends up sounding almost like Mirena (the vagina thing) when spoken aloud.)
Egg-win (I can never stop reading it like this, no matter how hard I try.)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Egg-win (I can never stop reading it like this, no matter how hard I try.)

Just wait until she starts being around Gawyn

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god, for the longest time I pronuced her as Eggy-AHN-nin. Not sure why I couldnt pronuounce the W in her name somehow. I blame my 13 year old self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh god, for the longest time I pronuced her as Eggy-AHN-nin. Not sure why I couldnt pronuounce the W in her name somehow. I blame my 13 year old self.

Eganin is a different character.

And now it's time for!

Wheel of Time cliché corner!

Books Finished: 1
Braids Tugged: 1
Blood and Ashes!: 35
Woolhead: 6
T'hus sp'a'ke Ma'trim Ca'uth'on: 2

Not a lot of Nynaeve perspectives in this one. Though mat still makes a good showing. I'm gonna try and keep a running tally as we go on, if anyone can think of anything else to add to the list, as long as it doesn't get too difficult to keep track of.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 26, 2012

• Locked thread