Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
First oil change: completed!

Oil is easier to clean up than I thought.

Yes I dropped the drain bolt into the oil pan after unscrewing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I always make sure the outer surfaces of my drain bolt are well lubricated.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

epswing posted:

First oil change: completed!

Oil is easier to clean up than I thought.

Yes I dropped the drain bolt into the oil pan after unscrewing it.

Next time you do it, get some kind of rubber hose that will fit over the head of the bolt. When you get close to where oil starts to leak out slip on the hose and finish taking it out. Saves your wrench from getting oil covered and saves you from digging the bolt out of the pan.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I thought it was fun trying to find the drain plug with your fingers in a pan of hot oil.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

thylacine posted:

I thought it was fun trying to find the drain plug with your fingers in a pan of hot oil.

It's certainly fun for the observer, who is doing nothing but laughing at you now. :(

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I bought one of those oil pans with the raised center, so I happily unscrewed the bolt and let it fall only to have the oil splash off of said raised center and go all over the floor and me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I remember meticulously lining up the catch pan for my first oil change of my car when I was 17 or so. It had to be juuuuuuuuuuuuuust right so nothing would spill.

Of course inexperienced me didn't realize that the hole was at an angle. I think only a quart or two ended up on the driveway, by the time I moved it the flow had slowed anyway.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Is anybody else here stupid enough to ride in New England during the winter with racing leathers and a hodge-podge of synthetic and wool clothing on a naked bike, or is it just me? I somehow stubbornly refuse to buy even heated grips, let alone the forbidden luxury of heated gear. I think it's my subconscious hope of moving to a warmer climate and making such a purchase irrelevant, but this is my third winter I'm riding through now.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm in Toronto and I went riding yesterday :v:

My hands are typically the first and only things that get unbearably cold, so at the international motorcycle show a couple weekends ago I made the capital investment of heated gloves.

I was seriously thinking about heated grips, but I went with heated gloves because (A) when I sell the bike, they stay with me, and (B) I can also use them for snowboarding.

They don't hook into the bike's battery, they contain a removable pair of lithium ion batteries per glove (and came with a charger). Each glove has 3 heat settings. They are delicious.

epswing fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 23, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's still above freezing here, but only just.

I'm thinking of making my own heated gear.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

epswing posted:

I'm in Toronto and I went riding yesterday :v:

My hands are typically the first and only things that get unbearably cold, so at the international motorcycle show a couple weekends ago I made the capital investment of heated gloves.

I was seriously thinking about heated grips, but I went with heated gloves because (A) when I sell the bike, they stay with me, and (B) I can also use them for snowboarding.

They don't hook into the bike's battery, they contain a removable pair of lithium ion batteries per glove (and came with a charger). Each glove has 3 heat settings. They are delicious.

What gloves?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

lowcrabdiet posted:

What gloves?

Yea, spill the beans. Those sound super cool.

KoeK
May 15, 2003
We dont die we multiply
I went driving yesterday, the rain wasn't a problem, but the drat 80 km/h windgusts blowing me away were. Quite an experience, but still loved the poo poo out of driving :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Sounds like the MobileWarming stuff. They make battery powered jacket liners as well.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

lowcrabdiet posted:

What gloves?

These are them http://www.ventureheat.com/p-922-battery-heated-gloves-black.aspx

I guess they're not specifically "heated motorcycle gloves".

At the lowest temp setting they're supposed to last 8 hours, and highest temp lasts more like 2 hours. Takes 4 hours to recharge.

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 25, 2012

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Just spent the day stripping my bike down to get ready for some new parts, and I have to say, gently caress whoever made 'Torx security bolts' because I'm gonna have to dremel the poo poo out of this thing just to get my ignition off of my old tree.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

nullscan posted:

Just spent the day stripping my bike down to get ready for some new parts, and I have to say, gently caress whoever made 'Torx security bolts' because I'm gonna have to dremel the poo poo out of this thing just to get my ignition off of my old tree.

Or you can pay a few dollars and just get the bit from Harbor Freight?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

My manual says that I have to drill and use a screw-remover to pull them out as they're designed to strip if you try and use a tool to back them out. There are just two little posts sitting in there staring at me defiantly.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Try the bit, you might get lucky. I did. Mind you, my bike was an 02 jap machine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've always been able to remove them with the right bit.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Hmm, well I have the whole peice off the bike now so it'll at least be easier to get to. I already had to chop a bunch of bolts that the previous owners had stripped the hell out of, inside and out :(

Guess that's what you get when you take over an 89 GIXXR, but I'll make this pig pretty eventually.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KTM 350 Duke confirmed coming to America.

gently caress yes!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spiffness posted:

gently caress yes!

Ok, gotta get on selling the Triumph. I need this.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Spiffness posted:

gently caress yes!

gently caress yes is right, I'd buy the hell out of one of those.

According to KTM's euro site the Duke 200 makes 25hp and weighs 126kg/277lbs. Similar weigh, more power? 40hp seem reasonable?

Hopefully being built in India will keep the price down but shouldn't sacrifice quality much. Bajaj built scooters for half a century, starting in the mid-60s with contracted Vespas. Their Vespa-inspired-but-in-house-designed 4-stroke Chetaks are renowned for being bulletproof.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'd guess 35 HP, 40 if we're lucky.

But light, good components and not ugly as sin. Plus as it's made in their new India factories, the price should stay low.

Move over Ninja 250, it's learner bike wheelie school

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Anyone watching "Hell Roads" on Discovery? They are highlighting the Tail and interveiwing Hellboy photog. Never seen this specific show before but it might be a good scouting program for fun areas to ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I suddenly have no responsibilities in life (as comparison to before) and almost no bills. Oh, year of the trackday it is now.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Tindjin posted:

Anyone watching "Hell Roads" on Discovery? They are highlighting the Tail and interveiwing Hellboy photog. Never seen this specific show before but it might be a good scouting program for fun areas to ride.

The interesting part of the show kinda ends there.

That old dude rocking the the CBR in full leathers Moto GP style was awesome. Especially since he rides up there from Florida.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
A few 60 degree days this week means I'm 200 miles closer to my first oil change.
Come on 600 miles!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Anyone got an old "Ninja" (ZZR) 250? My indicators have been playing up - first it was just my right one, I had to push it across and noticed it wasn't coming on so I played with it a bit and discovered I had to push across and then in a tad to get it to 'click' on, then the left one started doing it the next day. I tried some oil stuff my brother told me to try when the right one started doing it, but it didn't do anything. Fixed it for about 4 minutes~ if that. Would this be something easy to fix? They're still working, I just have to push them to the side like usual then in a bit?

e: managed to fix it using some electrical connector cleaner we had sitting around (didn't try it yesterday as brother wasn't sure how it'd go on the plastics around the indicator/paint). Seems to have fixed it for now :D

Also, I can't believe how many kids wave at you! I thought it would be 3 or so a week, but it's more like 8 or 9 per day :O

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 27, 2012

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So I rode my 2007 R6 for 3 years then sold it about a year ago. I just got a chance to borrow my buddy's Hayabusa for the day and i'm in love. It handles like a pig but it's really smooth I actually enjoyed myself, and the power. Holy poo poo the power. It's on another level than my R6. Might pick one up just for S&G's. Yes I know I can't use the power on a daily basis or ever but I still had fun on it. And it's lowered because my friend is about 350 pounds and got short rear end legs.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

So I rode my 2007 R6 for 3 years then sold it about a year ago. I just got a chance to borrow my buddy's Hayabusa for the day and i'm in love. It handles like a pig but it's really smooth I actually enjoyed myself, and the power. Holy poo poo the power. It's on another level than my R6. Might pick one up just for S&G's. Yes I know I can't use the power on a daily basis or ever but I still had fun on it. And it's lowered because my friend is about 350 pounds and got short rear end legs.

How hard are those things to push around? They look like they'd weigh an absolute ton up the front :/

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The bargain version of the busa is the Honda blackbird FYI

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

n8r posted:

The cool version of the busa is the Honda blackbird FYI

ftfy.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Especially when...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEMPprjbCD0

I never get tired of the "Ok, let's go see how it goesNNNEEEEEEEEEERM"

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hyabusas are so loving ugly. Like god drat.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Hyabusas are so loving ugly. Like god drat.

If they didn't have that stupid hump at the back they wouldn't be too bad looking.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

AncientTV posted:

Especially when...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEMPprjbCD0

I never get tired of the "Ok, let's go see how it goesNNNEEEEEEEEEERM"

Holy poo poo, im in love

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Shimrod posted:

If they didn't have that stupid hump at the back they wouldn't be too bad looking.

They look like really really fat jelly beans. And they constantly look like they are trying to eat their front wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Actually, I'm a big fan of the Higherboosa. One of my buddies went 240mph on his STOCK boosa. I think it has like five hundred horsepower, stock. Is this your bike? Oh yeah, I rode one of these once... my buddy had this same exact Honda Ducati before he got the higherboosa. What? Uhm, dude, it's a Honda. It's red. I can't believe you don't know this about your own bike! What's dooketty? Oh, yeah, my bad. Anyways, how fast have you been on it? I bet you can do some pretty cool wheelies huh... Say man, can I ride it? Just around the block? What? Yeah, that's my truck too. Oh. Wait! DICKHEAD!