Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

Remember you and I spoke about this on IRC?

No, I didn't remember that. :ohdear: I remember now you saying some real good, and insightful stuff about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I said come in! posted:

There's no way i'm buying the next console at launch, even if FM5 is a launch title.

I totally will. Without a second thought.

I said come in! posted:

The launch Xbox 360s were criminally bad. Seriously, someone should have gone to jail for how bad the reliability was on this current gens consoles, at launch.

Agreed. However, I can't really see that happening again. The 360 was bad engineering under time pressure, and as seemingly everybody has been lamenting for the last year or two, they're taking their sweet time right now. Plus, another such debacle could very well kill the brand.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Hello Spaceman posted:

Remember you and I spoke about this on IRC?

I still strongly believe that we'll see the next Forza on the next console. And not soon, either.
Granted, this is partly driven by the expectation that Microsoft is going to unveil the next Xbox at E3, and partly by the fact that FM4 currently has DLC sections for "Tracks", "Cars" and "Autovista". Why even bother including those other two sections if they're gonna be barely used?

After all, where can Forza still go on the 360? All the features we want: weather, daytime/nighttime races, new physical modelling for suspension bits... those will all need more horsepower. FM4 looks as good as I think it's gonna get on current hardware and unless they radically revamp the way the career works, more cars and tracks will only fuel the "lol $60 expansion pack" propaganda from the haters. And the GT5 thread's prodigal son, MUFFINS.

Depends, the current rumors are that MS and Sony aren't releasing new consoles till 2014 since they think they can get a bit more out of the 360/PS3 so F5 might have a 3 year cycle by proxy anyway.

Turn 10 has said that wet weather is possible on the 360 but their excuse was they didn't get wet weather data from Pirelli on the tyres (They didn't say anything on night racing though).

I would love to see them do what Sony did with Motorstorm on the PS3 and have the cars as the premium DLC, but give DLC tracks or things like weather/tie of day variations on tracks out for free so the entire community could have them. But then this is Microsoft and it's not bloody likely.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Submitted my request to join AUGR last night... gamertag SixthGeared.

Looking forward to doing some actually fun racing, instead of the normal pubbie crashfest.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

GhostDog posted:

Been driving real cars (with clutch) forever, it does not seem to translate well into any kind of skill with a toy wheel on a console racing game.

Thank you for mentioning this. I seem to have the same problem. Put me in a real car on a real track and I'll smoke your rear end. Put me in front of a toy wheel on an Xbox and I seem to lose my loving mind.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've had 11 different 360s in the lifetime of the console thus far. 7 white units, 3 different "Elite" units (one that came back from repair already DOA, whoohoo! Microsoft did send me a free game for that one - I had the personal cell number of one of their Tier 3 support managers by that point) and a Slim.

The Slim fixed all the problems with RROD and I've had that one for about 2 years now with no problems at all, so I'm pretty sure they'll get it right on Xbox 720.

All things considered the repair process was relatively painless given how it could have gone, but still a bit annoying to be out a console for 10 days to 2 weeks each time. Eventually I just had two on hand at all times.

Sunday Punch -- I went through and bought a bunch of your designs - can you customize your Pantera livery for me? I want a "7" on the racing plate, if you'd be so kind as to do that I'll send you some credits or some-such (or send me an unlocked one.) Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It takes a while to train your reactions to not rely on what the real world tells you.. getting pulled around in your seat and stuff like that.

Once you learn to process the information the game can provide, you'll do a lot better.

I do think this has a very real effect on improving your real world driving.. It's just not a two way thing.

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

xzzy posted:

It takes a while to train your reactions to not rely on what the real world tells you.. getting pulled around in your seat and stuff like that.

Once you learn to process the information the game can provide, you'll do a lot better.

I do think this has a very real effect on improving your real world driving.. It's just not a two way thing.

Yeah it's a lot easier to push your car wayyyy farther than it can handle when you can't actually feel how your tires are gripping and how hard you're doing stuff until it's too late and you're in a spin at 70(or 140)mph

I noticed I started driving a lot better when I turned all the UI stuff off but speedo, stuff like the map and your position/time is too distracting when what you need to focus on is how you will go around the corner infront of you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have to turn off the lap times/split times or I get so caught up checking the numbers to see if I'm faster I forget to pay attention to the road. :doh:

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sunday Punch -- I went through and bought a bunch of your designs - can you customize your Pantera livery for me? I want a "7" on the racing plate, if you'd be so kind as to do that I'll send you some credits or some-such (or send me an unlocked one.) Thanks!

The red one? I'll do this up for you tomorrow. Don't need any more credits (I've got millions I'll probably never spend) but you can gift me a random car, I like surprises :).

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
We should set up a mock Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona (I don't mean a 24 hour race, as that's impossible, but a lot of laps, pitting, etc.) style race soon, given that the real thing happens this weekend. Perhaps on a track like Sunset Penninsula? That seems the closest to the Daytona sportscar track from what I can tell.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 25, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

VERTiG0 posted:

We should set up a mock Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona (I don't mean a 24 hour race, as that's impossible, but a lot of laps, pitting, etc.) style race soon, given that the real thing happens this weekend. Perhaps on a track like Sunset Penninsula? That seems the closest to the Daytona sportscar track from what I can tell.

Maybe the Grand Am Koni Challenge? The rules should be readily available, if not, they're similar to some of the higher end SCCA stuff, I believe. I also have the Grand Am and Koni Challenge decals, so if anyone needs one, I can send them out.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Great idea!

Rules here: http://www.grand-am.com/grand-am101/index.cfm?cid=24683

...and here: http://admin.grand-am.com/assets/KONI09rulesforweb9.pdf

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 26, 2012

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sunday Punch posted:

The red one? I'll do this up for you tomorrow. Don't need any more credits (I've got millions I'll probably never spend) but you can gift me a random car, I like surprises :).

Sounds like a plan. I'll pick something fun. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is there anything special I need to do to get into online games? It seems I can't get into larger games with goons and I don't have any connection issues when I test my connection. I believe my NAT is open and everything, so I'm not sure why I can't join games with certain people it seems.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
What time does the race start again tonight? I have some poo poo to get done but I should be around.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
Don't have enough time to race tonight. gently caress work. Oh well, have fun guys.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Real nice of AUGR to start the race when people are having troubles just joining the lobby.

Stay classy, guys.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
No spec race for me tonight, I didn't bother putting together a car.

Not only that but I couldn't join if I wanted to, every single race is giving errors about network problems before I can even join the lobby.

(edit) - just tried joining the race Jabs set up (gonna borrow a club car) but I'm getting errors about NAT bullshit?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 26, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Forza servers :argh:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

VERTiG0 posted:

(edit) - just tried joining the race Jabs set up (gonna borrow a club car) but I'm getting errors about NAT bullshit?
Guess I'm not the only one that Jabs left behind, then. He needs to check his NAT status. Mine's fully open, no issues.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

LiquidRain posted:

Guess I'm not the only one that Jabs left behind, then. He needs to check his NAT status. Mine's fully open, no issues.

Server have been poo poo all day, couldn't even do rivals earlier.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I couldn't even hit up the marketplace today.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Jabs' internet connection :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz85hza5WCQ

After the initial impact my engine was 99% dead so I couldn't get out of the way before the head-on. After I pitted everything was fixed except my aero and I was lapping ~3-4 secs a lap slower than the leaders, then as I was getting lapped again I got rearended, making me feel even more like crap.

Oh well, that's racing. I look forward to redeeming myself next week.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Three Twenty-Minute timed GTCC Spec races tonight! Thanks, all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got the replays saved, but none of the vinyls showed up. :(

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

VERTiG0 posted:

Count me in. If the FM4 event is also taking place on the weekend I'll be down for a 2 hour race.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

speedtek posted:

Jabs' internet connection :argh:

That E30 was like "gently caress you, dude" like something out of a cartoon. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

LiquidRain posted:

The problem was (essentially) that Comcast dropped connection at the router for about 15 seconds - and EVERYTHING threw an error message. Xbox, Laptop, Cellphone even complained about not being able to reach the work Exchange Server.
:argh:

It borked somethin' but good.
The connection issues persisted until I rebooted all that poo poo - Xbox, Wireless Access Point (only the phone and tablet use this, the laptop and xbox are wired), and the router. I initially thought it was fine when I backed out of the lobby, and a Brazillion people rejoined - but then when I tried to create a race, it booted everyone again. That's when I restarted the whole kit and kaboodle, and that fixed it for all but 3 people, I think.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Child's Play logo is practically finished. I think I might be able to adjust one or two small areas for better lineup, and the text isn't exactly how it looks in the real logo, but I think it works. The logo itself is the controller and text, the hood color was painted separately. If you want the exact color scheme:

H: 0.24
S: 0.35
B: 0.74

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Hey Ether Frenzy accept my friend request! I want to send you things you jerk.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Jabs posted:

That's when I restarted the whole kit and kaboodle, and that fixed it for all but 3 people, I think.
Can you not leave out those 3 people next time? I was looking forward to that race.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

LiquidRain posted:

Can you not leave out those 3 people next time? I was looking forward to that race.
We waited 5 minutes from the time the last person joined.
The consensus in the room was that the 3 people had just given up.

I still have GoonMons and the Spec Miata race that I have to hit up the replays for to get the results, but without those two races being scored yet, and no bonus points awarded yet for paint, here are the standings for Season 2.
code:
Boaz MacP.	52
JabsTheGoon	37
Matybara	33
TheCowboyJoe	26
Xander I Crews	24
Kiba Stryker	24
AaronB LLJK	21
DefectiveLlama	19
MUTERUS9	18
Krautastic	18
Speedt3k	16
Rainwave	15
Crow T Macbot	12
Van330ci	11
whatcubed3	10
unrollloops	6
fryskate	5
Eperitus	5
Aardmania	1

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 26, 2012

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Bentai posted:

The Child's Play logo is practically finished. I think I might be able to adjust one or two small areas for better lineup, and the text isn't exactly how it looks in the real logo, but I think it works. The logo itself is the controller and text, the hood color was painted separately. If you want the exact color scheme:

H: 0.24
S: 0.35
B: 0.74

That looks awesome Bentai, mad props, I'm terrible at logo work.

I've got some friends that are going to donate their xboxes, we may have a triple-screen setup for the drive!

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

:cool:

:c00l:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The Lambo one looks strangely...possible as a real deal.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sunday Punch posted:

Hey Ether Frenzy accept my friend request! I want to send you things you jerk.

Your wish is my command. I started painting/building up a car for you but then realized I wasn't sure if you had the DLC packs - if not, I can pick something else.

I'm really enjoying driving it at least!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

How do you paint decent dirt or rust effects? Is there a method that isn't extremely time consuming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Your wish is my command. I started painting/building up a car for you but then realized I wasn't sure if you had the DLC packs - if not, I can pick something else.

I'm really enjoying driving it at least!

I've got all but the latest pack so that should be fine. Pantera is sent!

e:

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

How do you paint decent dirt or rust effects? Is there a method that isn't extremely time consuming?

Lots of layered paint splats with the opacity turned down to 30% or so. Play around with it until you get a nice distribution.

Sunday Punch fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 26, 2012

• Locked thread