Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I'm not saying it's the best thing ever, but I kinda like the Darkness 2 demo.

Pretty fun. Solid mechanics. Good art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So are some games sending out advertisements?

I just got a message from a friend that said something along the lines of,

"I'm using autolog from Burnout Crash that keeps track of my status and lets people know what I'm doing in the game! You should check out Burnout Crash in the Playstation Store!"

Now is this something that person could've chosen to send out to people, or was it automatically generated by the game?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

A lot of EA games have built-in messaging functionality like that.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
To answer your question, your friend chose to send it, it wasn't just automatic.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Harlock posted:

So are some games sending out advertisements?

I just got a message from a friend that said something along the lines of,

"I'm using autolog from Burnout Crash that keeps track of my status and lets people know what I'm doing in the game! You should check out Burnout Crash in the Playstation Store!"

Now is this something that person could've chosen to send out to people, or was it automatically generated by the game?

Speaking of this kind of thing, Sega just sent me a message saying I'd been selected for an offer to buy Daytona USA for 50% off.

It was weird because I already bought Daytona USA the day it came out :eng99:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Today I bought several new PS3 games for about $3 a piece, among other games for other platforms, at a local Shopko. For whatever reason, they were having a clearance on select few titles that they only had one copy of each. The PS3 games in question were Heavy Rain, God of War III, Kung Fu Rider, Modnation Racers, and Super Street Figher IV, with Kung Fu Rider costing $2 instead of $3 and they had two copies left when I was done.

Check your local retail stores regularly for good deals, especially if you know it's a place where people don't buy video games from. The last time my local Shopko had a great deal on stuff that cheap was when they were clearancing PSX memory cards for $1 a piece when the PS2 took over.

Also, is Kung Fu Rider really that bad? Everything I've read says it is, but I don't have a Move to verify it myself (but I figured for $2 I wasn't losing much).

jabro posted:

You know that saying when someone gets really screwed over the other person didn't use lube? Well the store didn't use lube but did use a condom..... made of sandpaper.

I guess that explains why they had more copies of it than the other games, and at a lower price point.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 25, 2012

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also, is Kung Fu Rider really that bad? Everything I've read says it is, but I don't have a Move to verify it myself (but I figured for $2 I wasn't losing much).

You know that saying when someone gets really screwed over the other person didn't use lube? Well the store didn't use lube but did use a condom..... made of sandpaper.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Feenix posted:

So I'm not saying it's the best thing ever, but I kinda like the Darkness 2 demo.

Pretty fun. Solid mechanics. Good art.

Looking forward to this actually although I never got round to completing the 1st one

vkeios
May 7, 2007

homeless snail posted:

That's assuming you can't just use the memory card adapter on a PC, I dunno if that works or not.

You can actually do this. Requires some generic 32-bit windows usb driver and only works with PS1 memory cards. Also the only instructions I've ever seen about it weren't in English.

...I didn't have a very fun time when I did this a year or two ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mug posted:

To answer your question, your friend chose to send it, it wasn't just automatic.

Yeah, it's a "Recommend to Friend" function. They most likely got some reward for it, like in the NHL games you get a card pack for the Ultimate Team mode.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I already plat'd Heavy Rain, but I would buy it again for $3 in a heartbeat to replay it one last time with the Move functionality.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I am debating whether I should just play the rest of AC2 or pick up Uncharted 3 for the weekend. My 50 something film professor kept talking about how excited she was completing Uncharted 2 and starting Uncharted 3 that it's making me jones real bad. I said I would buy it when there is a price drop but now I kinda want it now.

Is the online community worth buying the game now at full price?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yakuza 4 is in the mail, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. For 12 bucks and all the goon-gasming in this thread I don't think I can miss, though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Housh posted:

I am debating whether I should just play the rest of AC2 or pick up Uncharted 3 for the weekend. My 50 something film professor kept talking about how excited she was completing Uncharted 2 and starting Uncharted 3 that it's making me jones real bad. I said I would buy it when there is a price drop but now I kinda want it now.

Is the online community worth buying the game now at full price?

If you liked Uncharted 2 multiplayer, then Uncharted 3 it much better in that regard. I am of the opinion that the single player is worse than Uncharted 2, though. So if youre a online kind of guy, then go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Chard posted:

Yakuza 4 is in the mail, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. For 12 bucks and all the goon-gasming in this thread I don't think I can miss, though.
Where did you get it for $12?!

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Housh posted:

Where did you get it for $12?!

It's on sale Here.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Azruelli posted:

It's on sale Here.
I see 18.49, or in the other sellers, one 12.99 non-prime + 4.99 shipping == $18 anyways. Is Amazon telling you 12.99 flat-out, free shipping?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 26, 2012

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Shalinor posted:

I see 18.49, or in the other sellers, one 12.99 non-prime + 4.99 shipping == $18 anyways. Is Amazon telling you 12.99 flat-out, free shipping?

Oh, I hadn't thought about shipping. So I guess it is closer to 18 bucks. That's still not a bad deal, considering all the praise people seem to be giving the game. Anywho, I was just reposting it for Housh in case he missed it, since I assumed it was where everyone else was buying it.

Additionally, I have a general question. I've heard Yakuza doesn't have US dubbed voiceacting and that it's entirely subtitled, is that true?
Probably not going to affect my choice about buying the game or not, just curious about what to expect when I finally order it alongside my new PS3 this friday.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

After the first game none of the Yakuzas are dubbed. They're all subtitled because its what the fans want its cheaper.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Azruelli posted:

Additionally, I have a general question. I've heard Yakuza doesn't have US dubbed voiceacting and that it's entirely subtitled, is that true?
Probably not going to affect my choice about buying the game or not, just curious about what to expect when I finally order it alongside my new PS3 this friday.

Yes, that's correct. Yakuza games aren't huge sellers in the US so it is the only way to still make money on localization.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

After the first game none of the Yakuzas are dubbed. They're all subtitled because its what the fans want and its cheaper.

Fixed that for you. The dubbing of the first game was really jarring. "I'm in Japan and everybody speaks fluid English, just like Tokyo Drift!" On the other hand, I had no problem with the dubbing of Shenmue. v:shobon:v

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I like Yakuza subtitled too, it's just that I've never really taken Sega of America's approach to it as anything other than "we'll go broke on it if we dub it!"

Shenmue's dubbing was acceptable because Ryo Hazuki's voice actor owned.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Policenaut posted:

Shenmue's dubbing was acceptable because Ryo Hazuki's voice actor owned.
It adds a new element to Ryo's character, specifically that he couldn't be more disinterested in avenging his father's death or talking to the girl who would go down on him at the drop of a hat.

Capsule toys, on the other hand...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Another pro for Yakuza's subtitling: Kiryu's voice. :allears:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

If you liked Uncharted 2 multiplayer, then Uncharted 3 it much better in that regard. I am of the opinion that the single player is worse than Uncharted 2, though. So if youre a online kind of guy, then go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Do you have some sort of alert set up where if someone posts about Uncharted 3 you are told so you can inform them you didn't like the singleplayer?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of this kind of thing, Sega just sent me a message saying I'd been selected for an offer to buy Daytona USA for 50% off.

It was weird because I already bought Daytona USA the day it came out :eng99:
I got this message today too. I think Sega shoveled some cash at Sony's doorstep and basically asked Sony to spam everyone's inbox to drum up some sales. It's not a big deal per say if done sparingly like no more than once a month but if this starts to become a once or twice a week thing I'd really like the ability to opt-out of it.

My notification preferences are turned off for a reason but that only applies to the email addy PSN has on file.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

axleblaze posted:

Do you have some sort of alert set up where if someone posts about Uncharted 3 you are told so you can inform them you didn't like the singleplayer?

Hahaha I've been wondering the same thing

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Nope, but why does it matter to you if I tell people that I didn't like the singleplayer? I am entitled to an opinion just like you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

Nope, but why does it matter to you if I tell people that I didn't like the singleplayer? I am entitled to an opinion just like you.

I'm not so much complaining as I am making an observation.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I'm not so much complaining as I am making an observation.

Guy asked for an opinion about Uncharted 3, and I gave him my honest one. I actually probably need to put more time into the Uncharted 3 multiplayer, because whenever I play, time seems to fly by.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

blackguy32 posted:

Guy asked for an opinion about Uncharted 3, and I gave him my honest one. I actually probably need to put more time into the Uncharted 3 multiplayer, because whenever I play, time seems to fly by.

I wouldn't take too much offense. But it's kind of an astute observation. Nearly every time UC3 gets brought up, you're there stating your dislike for the Single Player. I just chuckled at it.

Multiplayer is cool aside from the fact that you get paired up with Legacy-rear end Rape Machines. It puts a damper on the fun.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

to be fair though. Uncharted 3 is easily the worst Uncharted single player-wise. If it didn't have that Uncharted name (and my expectation that it'd get better), I probably wouldn't have bothered completing it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Uncharted 3's single player is a lot of fun, but some of the climbing sections are obnoxiously linear. I honestly would have preferred a QTE, but even better would be more ACreed-esque climbing. They also took away control in a key moment in the last 15 minutes that I thought was very disappointing.

It's certainly worth playing, though.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

vkeios posted:

to be fair though. Uncharted 3 is easily the worst Uncharted single player-wise. If it didn't have that Uncharted name (and my expectation that it'd get better), I probably wouldn't have bothered completing it.
I'd keep that firmly under the 'opinion' category and not as an absolute fact. I liked UC3 more than 1 but not quite as much as 2 (but all three are under the love category for me).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

vkeios posted:

To be fair, Uncharted 3 is easily on par with Uncharted 2.

See how easy opinions are?

the truth posted:

Uncharted 3's single player is a lot of fun, but some of the climbing sections are obnoxiously linear. I honestly would have preferred a QTE, but even better would be more ACreed-esque climbing.
Why would it be like that when neither UC1 nor UC2 were like that?

Agentfortune
Jan 30, 2007

Now you see it, now you don't...Now you do again.. ha ha!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I guess that explains why they had more copies of it than the other games, and at a lower price point.

I haven't really got into any Move game in a big way yet, but I bought KFR on a whim when it was cheap in Game (I think I paid £10) hoping to get some value out of my expensive bit of kit.

Seriously, if you only have KFR to play, don't invest in a Move controller for it. You will be disappointed. And lose all hope that Move will ever take off. And pray that they patch in content that allows you to use the controller as a Samurai sword to destroy the horrific characters in it.

Awful game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

How are the Way of the Samurai games? Which one would you recommend a beginner to the series start with?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

blackguy32 posted:

How are the Way of the Samurai games? Which one would you recommend a beginner to the series start with?
I don't know which is the best, but definitely don't start with Way of the Samurai 3. 1 was pretty neat if a bit janky, but 3... eh, just felt off. 3 is pretty, but the gameplay in no way lives up to 1 (or I presume 2).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Go back in time and play Way of the Samurai 1 for PS2. Or use your PS2. WOTS3 is okay only if you're a fan of the series. There's a lot of technical badness (slowdown into the range of 1-2 FPS for some event fights).

WOTS2 was an improvement, so it will be hard to play WOTS after playing the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Harlock posted:

Go back in time and play Way of the Samurai 1 for PS2. Or use your PS2. WOTS3 is okay only if you're a fan of the series. There's a lot of technical badness (slowdown into the range of 1-2 FPS for some event fights).

WOTS2 was an improvement, so it will be hard to play WOTS after playing the second one.

I have a 60 gig backwards compatible PS3, so I can play them. Is the first one even worth playing with the second one being out?

• Locked thread