Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Nice, there's some great Eidos oldies to be released. Underwhelming launch titles but I don't mind. Both games should've maybe got a -50% sale at launch and they'd got a lot more sales to start it off, kinda like they did with The Witcher 1's launch.

I wouldn't buy either one even at sale prices though because Hitman 1 blows and I've got enough copies of Deus Ex already thank you.

Keep it up GOG! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I wish they could get Hitman: Contracts :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can see the sense in putting out Deus Ex and Hitman first, as they're both names that people will recognize (what with Deus Ex getting another game last year and Hitman getting one this year), and now the association between those games and SE is there. Now when GOG releases another, lesser-known SE title in the future people will say "Hey these guys also made Deus Ex and Hitman, maybe I'll try this game out"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Al! posted:

Speaking of... Are the first 2 Wing Commander worth playing through as more than historical curiosities or should I just jump into Wing Commander 3/Privateer? I remember playing Wing Commander 1 a while ago and being too distracted by everything being sprites and the cockpit being huge and constantly crashing into the mothership because trying to "land" on the right part of a huge sprite is stupid.

I would say "yes", but I also have a huge nostalgia boner for WC1 because it was one of the first commercial games I ever played. I've still got Claw Marks and the blueprints. :3:

Wing Commander 2 fixes some of the issues of WC1 (for example, landing is now fully automated) and is also where the plot actually kicks off, so, absent nostalgia, it's probably the best one to start with - all you're missing from WC1 is the warm fuzzies when you run into your old buddies on the flight deck and the shock when you see the Tiger's Claw destroyed, which won't really have the same impact if you haven't played WC1.

Well, that and a burning hatred for Maniac, but he doesn't show up much in WC2. Thankfully.

All that said...if you want to skip straight to WC3, you won't be missing anything critical. There's a big gap between the games and I'm pretty sure the manual summarizes the important bits. As with going straight to WC2 and skipping WC1, not everything will have the same impact, but you won't be completely lost or anything.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

I've said it before, but the Eidos game I absolutely most want to see on GOG is Startopia. It runs great on modern machines, has barely aged (beyond the lack of native widescreen support), and is seriously one of the best 'light' management games ever. Great art direction, music and writing too.

One of the true lost treasures, and the 'light' title seems odd when you've started the gardens, are trying to handle the salthogs on the main level and fights start breaking out. It's easily the equal of Theme Hospital. The only reason I can think of it failing is that it got overshadowed by other games. It was nominated for a BAFTA in 2001, but sold a low number of copies.

The humor is solidly 'hitchikers guide' mixed with equal parts Terry Pratchett with a Dungeon Keeper vibe.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

C-Euro posted:

Now when GOG releases another, lesser-known SE title in the future people will say "Hey these guys also made Deus Ex and Hitman, maybe I'll try this game out"
"Wow, Deus Ex, Hitman and Thief all were pretty fun. This company also seems to have made this game called "Final Fantasy VII". I'll have to check this out."

What a world we live in nowadays.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I can see the sense in putting out Deus Ex and Hitman first, as they're both names that people will recognize (what with Deus Ex getting another game last year and Hitman getting one this year), and now the association between those games and SE is there. Now when GOG releases another, lesser-known SE title in the future people will say "Hey these guys also made Deus Ex and Hitman, maybe I'll try this game out"

Of all the Hitman games they could have chosen to put on the service that was easily the worst one though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Of all the Hitman games they could have chosen to put on the service that was easily the worst one though.

Presumably they're just gonna put the series up in order. I mean, they may as well put all of the series up, right?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dominic White posted:

I've said it before, but the Eidos game I absolutely most want to see on GOG is Startopia. It runs great on modern machines, has barely aged (beyond the lack of native widescreen support), and is seriously one of the best 'light' management games ever. Great art direction, music and writing too.

It's a classic that just failed to sell, so if it pops up on GOG, I'm going to beat you all with a sock full of pennies until you buy it. I promise there will be few regrets!

This game looks quite awesome and it reminds me of that XBLA game that came out like five years ago. Count me in for an instabuy if this shows up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_Kaloki_X

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

ToxicFrog posted:

:psyduck: Are you seriously describing Thief and Deus Ex as "dull and lifeless"?

I found the gameplay of Thief a lot less interesting than a description of the game would lead me to believe, so yeah, it definitely drips with the pastel-smelling ennui.

Deux Ex is a special exception - it's an actually-exciting game that just so happens to be the Super Mario Brothers / Duck Hunt of PC gaming. I also ignored the Carmageddon series, since the developers don't seem terribly interested in putting it on GOG. Even so, Carmageddon really hasn't aged too well anyway. Even though I have fond memories of playing the game when it first came out, I seriously doubt I'd re-pay money for it. The handling is too clunky to race or focus on pedestrian splattering, so it sorta devolves into "drive back and forth in a straight line and wait for CPU cars to warp into your path so they can be head-onned".

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Thief 1/2, Legacy of Kain series, the old Tomb Raider games, Anachronox, Omikron, Revenant, Carmageddon series (I think), Daikatana if you like ambitious-but-heavily-flawed shooters, Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move series (Square-Enix owns Taito!), and probably at least a couple more that I can't think of.

Heh, wow. I'm not even remotely interested in any of those apart from Puzzle Bobble, which is just awesome, and readily available on other systems :)

Mind you, I might be interested in Anachronox and Omikron, but the only ones I am actually eagerly hoping come out are the three i listed.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

This is what I am getting at. You could buy it on Steam for stupid cheap, or get it on disc for maybe $5-ish YEARS ago.

So, yes:

Dear GOG,

You're awesome and I love you. But please don't release stuff that is and has been available elsewhere, with a higher asking price than many of us have already paid for the games.

Love,
BadAstronaut

For me the value comes from it being digital and DRM free. At this point I'm simply not willing to buy physical media. I also believe the lack of DRM makes the premium that GoG charges well worth it. I buy games on Steam (oh God do I ever), but I feel way more comfortable buying from GoG.

edit: VVV - Good fuckin' point. I'd prefer that as well.

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 26, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

odiv posted:

For me the value comes from it being digital and DRM free. At this point I'm simply not willing to buy physical media. I also believe the lack of DRM makes the premium that GoG charges well worth it. I buy games on Steam (oh God do I ever), but I feel way more comfortable buying from GoG.

For me, GoG's lovely installers completely negate the attraction of "DRM free." Just give me a fuckin zip file already.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Al! posted:

For me, GoG's lovely installers completely negate the attraction of "DRM free." Just give me a fuckin zip file already.

How are GoG's installers lovely? I've never had trouble installing any of my GoG games. :confused:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Al! posted:

I actually like the GoG installers but to each his own :shobon:

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Coulis posted:

Guess I'm going to buy deus ex, for a third time. :sigh:

This one gets me everytime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJUsOP0T1o. Spoilers obviously

Anything Alexander Brandon has his hands on turns into solid gold.

Try listening to the Unreal soundtrack, and the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 soundtrack. :)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Al! posted:

Never had any problem with GOG's installers but I agree, providing the zip archive as an option would totally suit GOG's ideology.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

How are GoG's installers lovely? I've never had trouble installing any of my GoG games. :confused:

I've always had trouble with them conflicting with antivirus and UAC and they also require administrator permissions to run when they rarely are anything but a compressed file behind an exe.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
I usually have to download the installers two or three times before I get one that isn't corrupted.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Al! posted:

I've always had trouble with them conflicting with antivirus and UAC and they also require administrator permissions to run when they rarely are anything but a compressed file behind an exe.

Why would anyone leave UAC on? No wonder why you hate computer files.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Raften posted:

I usually have to download the installers two or three times before I get one that isn't corrupted.

How's the weather in Botswana?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Well rats :( More waiting for Thief (which had better come, Y'HEAR ME GOG? IT BETTER :arghfist:)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Al! posted:

Haven't ever had any problem like that. At most it asks if I want to run this .exe I just clicked on, which makes sense. Time for a clean install there.

GOG offers installers because it makes sense. Most people, even those buying old games, don't know how this computer thingy works. They need start menu and desktop shortcuts. Not to mention that some installers also make sure to place stuff in the windows registry as needed.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

It's cool that other people have easier user experiences with GOG's installers, I just wish that they would offer zip files along side the .exes for games that didn't need to be installed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kuddles posted:

"Wow, Deus Ex, Hitman and Thief all were pretty fun. This company also seems to have made this game called "Final Fantasy VII". I'll have to check this out."

What a world we live in nowadays.

I was thinking of the Thief series when I wrote that. As I said, the Deus Ex and Hitman series have been in the public eye in the last few years but I would have never heard of Thief if not for SA.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I keep UAC on because it really is one of the main things that make Windows 7 pretty safe, and I don't think I've had any problems at all ever. Some few programs of course require starting them as an administrator, but it is me making the call, not the operating system: the way it should be.

GOG installers and games work fine either way for me.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

AxeManiac posted:

Because Internet-connected applications and plug-ins with remote exploits still exist and cockblocking them by denying their unexpected UAC escalation is a great way to not get stupid scareware popups or wind up on the Russian Mafia botnet mining Bitcoins?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

doctorfrog posted:

Deus Ex's soundtrack isn't as good, but I like it because it's reflective of PC game music of the time (IMO), especially for Unreal Engine games. It has that synthy Unreal Engine sound, and I think the sound format for Unreal was sort of like MIDI that included its own sound font, a bunch of sounds and instructions for how they should be played. The remix album, The Long Night, is a pretty good listen for fans of the game.
I think the difference between MIDI files and MODs - which were the ones that Deus Ex and other Unreal/UT-powered games used, as well titles like Jazz Jackrabbit and One Must Fall 2097 - is that the former tells the soundcard which of its samples to use and how, whereas the latter contains both the instructions and the samples themselves. As a result, MODs sounded pretty much identical regardless of your soundcard. It was even possible to pump them through the PC speaker, producing proper (if tinny and noise-rich) music, speech, and sound effects. They've been rendered obsolete by the advent of full-blown digitised audio, but their distinct sound is still cool.

Also, I'm surprised these Deus Ex tracks haven't been linked yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnYwLZcxOtY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gNOBvpytXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaVUJpCl-Yc

Hav posted:

One of the true lost treasures, and the 'light' title seems odd when you've started the gardens, are trying to handle the salthogs on the main level and fights start breaking out. It's easily the equal of Theme Hospital. The only reason I can think of it failing is that it got overshadowed by other games. It was nominated for a BAFTA in 2001, but sold a low number of copies.

The humor is solidly 'hitchikers guide' mixed with equal parts Terry Pratchett with a Dungeon Keeper vibe.
I wonder if I'm alone in this, but despite being a huge Bullfrog fan and loving the Theme and Dungeon Keeper games to bits, Startopia somehow never clicked for me. Though I really did want to like it, there was just something about its design that didn't work very well for me, and for whatever reason, its comic elements just fell flat for me to the point where the voice-over just became an annoyance. Why didn't it work out between us, Startopia? Where did we go wrong? Was it just me? :smith:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

You guys are crazy, Deus Ex's OST is excellent. The UNATCO HQ Theme :allears:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I wonder if they'll release the FF7 port as well. While obviously it has an inferior soundtrack and some technical issues, it does benefit from a better translation and you can save anywhere, not just at save points. Also, apparently people are still modding it too.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

VisAbsoluta posted:

You guys are crazy, Deus Ex's OST is excellent. The UNATCO HQ Theme :allears:

As an aside, I really hate the stupid audio CD version of the soundtrack that was released with the retail GOTY version because they'd added some completely unnecessary extra sounds, instruments and stupid poo poo on top of the original MODs just for the sake of doing something. All of the additions are completely superfluous and take away from the atmosphere of the music. So do yourself a favor and skip that and rather get an untouched rip of the original MODs from the game if you want to listen to the soundtrack outside the game. (I don't know which versions they have as the GOG extras.)

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 26, 2012

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Also, I'm surprised these Deus Ex tracks haven't been linked yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaVUJpCl-Yc

Ah, DuClare Chateau, my favorite among a lot of great tracks. The remixed version from 'The Long Night' is good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kurrYPFRnE

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Zat posted:

So do yourself a favor and skip that and rather get an untouched rip of the original MODs from the game if you want to listen to the soundtrack outside the game. (I don't know which versions they have as the GOG extras.)
You can actually rip them yourself pretty easily, just get ModPlug Tracker, open a UMX file with it, save as WAV or MP3.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 26, 2012

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Starhawk64 posted:

I wonder if they'll release the FF7 port as well. While obviously it has an inferior soundtrack and some technical issues, it does benefit from a better translation and you can save anywhere, not just at save points. Also, apparently people are still modding it too.

You can't save anywhere unless you use a trainer.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Because Internet-connected applications and plug-ins with remote exploits still exist and cockblocking them by denying their unexpected UAC escalation is a great way to not get stupid scareware popups or wind up on the Russian Mafia botnet mining Bitcoins?

I ran UAC for years and never even experienced an unexpected UAC escalation. Now I just run MSE and don't bother with UAC.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dominic White posted:

Startopia. It runs great on modern machines, has barely aged (beyond the lack of native widescreen support)

Nonsense and malarkey, sir.

Startopia at 1080p:

Unless you are talking about some weird super-widescreen. In which case, bullflop! I don't think 1080p monitors even existed when Startopia came out, and it works just fine with no tweaking.

Also, I love Deus Ex to teeny bits, but $10 is higher than I expected.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Vertigus posted:

I ran UAC for years and never even experienced an unexpected UAC escalation.
My laptop had UAC disabled and got infected with Windows AntiSpyware 2012 thanks to the Java soundbank exploit and MSE didn't catch it. For one extra button-click during installs, I'll gladly not deal with that poo poo again.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Nonsense and malarkey, sir.

Startopia at 1080p:

Unless you are talking about some weird super-widescreen. In which case, bullflop! I don't think 1080p monitors even existed when Startopia came out, and it works just fine with no tweaking.

It runs great at any resolution, but last time I checked, the actual polygons are still rendered at 4:3 aspect ratio, so it appears stretched horizontally. The cleverer, more forward-thinking coders of the time had things render based on the assumption that pixels should be square, so I-War 2 works perfectly on modern widescreen, aspect-correct and all.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dominic White posted:

It runs great at any resolution, but last time I checked, the actual polygons are still rendered at 4:3 aspect ratio, so it appears stretched horizontally. The cleverer, more forward-thinking coders of the time had things render based on the assumption that pixels should be square, so I-War 2 works perfectly on modern widescreen, aspect-correct and all.

Ah, I see. Doesn't bother me too much, though, esp. considering how many games are just locked into a few pet resolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

VisAbsoluta posted:

I wish they could get Hitman: Contracts :(

That would have been an awesome exclusive to kick things off, especially in comparison with Codename 47 which was pretty much unplayable the moment Silent Assassin came out. Not because it wouldn't run on modern systems but unplayable because the controls, AI and lack of mid-mission save games are just terrible.

This coming from someone who ADORES the Hitman games.