Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
Hummer, it doesn't give a gently caress about physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBJ7xCgFpE

Also I didn't know that it was possible to actually damage your tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

MaNiAk posted:

Hummer, it doesn't give a gently caress about physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBJ7xCgFpE

Also I didn't know that it was possible to actually damage your tires.

Are they broken, or just hot?

EDIT: That makes sense.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 26, 2012

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

Are they broken, or just hot?
Once you wear them out, they show red in the damage screen, just like his picture. You can also see his rear passenger tire is slightly yellow (42%).

thideras fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 26, 2012

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
If you do endurance racing you'll see the tires slowly transition from clear to yellow to red as the become more worn it's a really slow progression you don't see in any F4 races because they got rid of endurance races.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Jabs posted:

We waited 5 minutes from the time the last person joined.
The consensus in the room was that the 3 people had just given up.
Yes, but that's because the last time I tried joining and got voice in I asked "could somebody else create a new lobby" and the response was "but I like the maturity level of this lobby, it's---" and then I got disconnected. :/

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 26, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

General Probe posted:

If you do endurance racing you'll see the tires slowly transition from clear to yellow to red as the become more worn it's a really slow progression you don't see in any F4 races because they got rid of endurance races.

Previous Forza games had options for accelerated tire wear which I think disappeared for FM4. They had accelerated fuel use too.. I think most cars ran out of gas around the 13 mile mark. Two laps around the Nurburgring in FM3 would give you red tires.

Was really the only time you saw tire wear become a factor.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I seriously dont see why the gently caress they bother with pits at all.

Tire and fuel usage is pretty much a non-factor in any race under 45 minutes. The pit crew can redo your entire drivetrain and swap tires in 30 seconds but swapping a new nose/spoiler is beyond their technical ability.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

j3rkstore posted:

Tire and fuel usage is pretty much a non-factor in any race under 45 minutes. The pit crew can redo your entire drivetrain and swap tires in 30 seconds but swapping a new nose/spoiler is beyond their technical ability.

This times a million, I really really really hope T10 fixes this in the next game, it's something we've been asking since FM1 and would make any type of racing that much better.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

j3rkstore posted:

Good god, yes. I wish those lazy-rear end pit dorks could fix bodywork.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

LiquidRain posted:

Yes, but that's because the last time I tried joining and got voice in I asked "could somebody else create a new lobby" and the response was "but I like the maturity level of this lobby, it's---" and then I got disconnected. :/
I asked a couple times (including right after this exchange - I remember you saying that!) if someone else could host the lobby, but nobody stepped up. :(

Usually, my connection is pretty solid. 30Mbps down, 8-9 up, and a 5-10ms ping to Comcast, and only 10-12ms to either coast.

I'm sorry you couldn't get reconnected. We had a pretty full lobby, and it looked from the practice laps like it was going to be a lot of awesome close racing. I was bummed when The Bad poo poo happened. :(
That said, I awarded points for taking the green to everyone who was in the lobby (at 7:54:44.780, when I took a pic of the lobby) before I disconnected, whether you did or not. I know I got AaronB LLJK's and Defective Llama's points tallied. What's your XBL GT, so I can be sure?
Nevermind, I found you with a search. Points added.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 27, 2012

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

j3rkstore posted:

And the damage system. If you could just turn off (or limit) engine and steering damage you could get busted up and still limp back to the pits. As is, you take the wrong hit, and why bother?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pxyzTAnF1lY

:swoon:

Turn 10 give us a CORR so I can do this.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 27, 2012

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Jabs posted:

I asked a couple times (including right after this exchange - I remember you saying that!) if someone else could host the lobby, but nobody stepped up. :(

Usually, my connection is pretty solid. 30Mbps down, 8-9 up, and a 5-10ms ping to Comcast, and only 10-12ms to either coast.

I'm sorry you couldn't get reconnected. We had a pretty full lobby, and it looked from the practice laps like it was going to be a lot of awesome close racing. I was bummed when The Bad poo poo happened. :(
That said, I awarded points for taking the green to everyone who was in the lobby (at 7:54:44.780, when I took a pic of the lobby) before I disconnected, whether you did or not. I know I got AaronB LLJK's and Defective Llama's points tallied. What's your XBL GT, so I can be sure?
Nevermind, I found you with a search. Points added.

Where do you post the results and standings? I can't find it on your page.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

GOD IS BED posted:

Where do you post the results and standings? I can't find it on your page.
Here, usually, but I've been a bit slack this season. The usual suspects. Skyrim, Star Wars...etc.

I've got them in a Google Doc Spreadsheet at the moment.

UPDATE: I was able to review the replays I hadn't got to yet, and I'd just like to say...Holy poo poo, gently caress you, Boaz. =)
code:
Boaz MacPhereson	Boaz MacPhereson	85
Matt 			Matybara		53
Jon			JabsTheGoon		50
			MUTERUS9		43
GOD IS BED		Xander I Crews		41
Flint Ironstag		Crow T Macbot		38
Joe			TheCowboyJoe		26
Irish Legend		Kiba Stryker		24
			Vertigo360		23
AaronB			AaronB LLJK		21
Liquid Rain		Rainwave		20
Bo Bo Ska Diddle	DefectiveLlama		19
			Bentron			19
Dan			Krautastic		18
Luke			Van330ci		17
			Speedt3k		16
GentlemanofLeisure	whatcubed3		10
Fortuitous Bumble	unrollloops		6
			fryskate		5
MalleusDei		Eperitus		5
			Aardmania		1

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 27, 2012

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Good playing with you AUGR guys tonight, sorry about that first turn at Sebring, I had my steering set to Simulation which causes all kinds of problems for me in multiplayer.

The only reason I stopped playing is because before that race on Bernie's Alps my headset started acting strange, and by the time we were on Tsukuba, it had completely shorted out. :( I forgive you, guy in CR-Z, I just couldn't say it!

I guess when I get some money next week I can get a new one along with a Xbox Steering Wheel on craigslist for $70. Can't wait to suck all over again!

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

General Probe posted:

That's odd, I thought I just broke them.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Depending on how taxes turn out this year, I might buy a new wheel to replace the Logitech Momo Force, especially for one that is compatible with 360/PS3/PC. Is the CSR elite really worth the extra cash over the normal CSR?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I win by making their eyes bleed

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Now you just need a Rainbow Road track to race on.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know Goon Bus is, like, so 2011; but tonight I took a stab at one. I liked a couple that I found on the storefront but there were a few touches I wanted to see and decided to take a crack addict. I mean, crack at it.

I've never put anything on the storefront before (and for drat good reason) but I want to put this up as an alternative choice for Goon Buses everywhere. I haven't uploaded it yet, because I wanted to show it here and get feedback on missing/desired graphics. I was going for an authentic yellow American school bus look, without going overboard (I can't do overboard anyway.)

Here are a few shots of where I left it tonight. Feedback is welcome.
Click thumbnails for big:

[edit]Fixed broken links.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 27, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

Here, usually, but I've been a bit slack this season. The usual suspects. Skyrim, Star Wars...etc.

I've got them in a Google Doc Spreadsheet at the moment.

UPDATE: I was able to review the replays I hadn't got to yet, and I'd just like to say...Holy poo poo, gently caress you, Boaz. =)
code:
Boaz MacPhereson	Boaz MacPhereson	85
Matt 			Matybara		53
Jon			JabsTheGoon		50
			MUTERUS9		43
GOD IS BED		Xander I Crews		41
Flint Ironstag		Crow T Macbot		38
Joe			TheCowboyJoe		26
Irish Legend		Kiba Stryker		24
			Vertigo360		23
AaronB			AaronB LLJK		21
Liquid Rain		Rainwave		20
Bo Bo Ska Diddle	DefectiveLlama		19
			Bentron			19
Dan			Krautastic		18
Luke			Van330ci		17
			Speedt3k		16
GentlemanofLeisure	whatcubed3		10
Fortuitous Bumble	unrollloops		6
			fryskate		5
MalleusDei		Eperitus		5
			Aardmania		1

Consistency is everything :)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

I know Goon Bus is, like, so 2011; but tonight I took a stab at one. I liked a couple that I found on the storefront but there were a few touches I wanted to see and decided to take a crack addict. I mean, crack at it.

I've never put anything on the storefront before (and for drat good reason) but I want to put this up as an alternative choice for Goon Buses everywhere. I haven't uploaded it yet, because I wanted to show it here and get feedback on missing/desired graphics. I was going for an authentic yellow American school bus look, without going overboard (I can't do overboard anyway.)

Here are a few shots of where I left it tonight. Feedback is welcome.
Click thumbnails for big:

This is the funniest loving thing, god drat.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Sunday Punch posted:

Now you just need a Rainbow Road track to race on.

Oooh that's a thing Turn 10 should do.

A track editor. And not a wussy Gran Turismo 5 randomly generated one. A proper Modnation style editor where you can draw out the track, place scenery and make actual tracks.

We'd never need another racing game till the next Forza.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Sex Vicar posted:

Oooh that's a thing Turn 10 should do.

A track editor. And not a wussy Gran Turismo 5 randomly generated one. A proper Modnation style editor where you can draw out the track, place scenery and make actual tracks.

We'd never need another racing game till the next Forza.

Even something that let you connect premade sections together would be amazing. Like the map editor for Timesplitters 2.

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I just want an autocross track maker that lets you place cones :(

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

bich posted:

I just want an autocross track maker that lets you place cones :(

That sound most feasible since I wouldn't trust most people to come up with a decent track, in fact I think any track editor that let you make your own good and pretty tracks would be too complicated for the average user.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

General Probe posted:

That sound most feasible since I wouldn't trust most people to come up with a decent track, in fact I think any track editor that let you make your own good and pretty tracks would be too complicated for the average user.

You say that, but have you ever seen what people in the Halo community come up with? It is probably an unfair comparison considering the number of users for each game, but still even if most people suck at it, there is a small group of people that are magicians with it and create things that most would never dream of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TrackMania demonstrated to me that people almost always make terrible tracks.

Granted, some amount of that could be due to the limited building blocks the game provides, but even with that taken into account, almost all of them are focused on being SUPER EXTREME.

I made a version of Laguna Seca once and people were all "where's the jumps??" :negative:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Irish Legend posted:

You say that, but have you ever seen what people in the Halo community come up with? It is probably an unfair comparison considering the number of users for each game, but still even if most people suck at it, there is a small group of people that are magicians with it and create things that most would never dream of.

Yeah, the only problem I see is that Forza is a sim racer so you can make something that might look great to race on but could just be a lovely track.

Like the Fujimi Kaido.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Sunday Punch posted:

Even something that let you connect premade sections together would be amazing. Like the map editor for Timesplitters 2.

Codemasters did that for the Nintendo DS versions of TOCA Race Driver 3 and GRID and it worked pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXSq-9wRfw

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

I made a version of Laguna Seca once and people were all "where's the jumps??" :negative:
There are some crap version of Trackmania tracks but there are also some awesome ones. And you made a realistic track for the wrong game, Trackmania is all about doing crazy jumps, wall-rides and other super unrealistic stuff

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

real_scud posted:

There are some crap version of Trackmania tracks but there are also some awesome ones. And you made a realistic track for the wrong game, Trackmania is all about doing crazy jumps, wall-rides and other super unrealistic stuff

It was. :smith:

The corkscrew had wall rides!

It just didn't have enough jumps apparently.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I, and a lot of other people I imagine, would first make a like 3-5 mile drag track so top speed becomes a factor even for things like the Ultimate Aero and Bugatti SS. And then maybe the opposite. The tiniest possible circle, for drifting.

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

projecthalaxy posted:

I, and a lot of other people I imagine, would first make a like 3-5 mile drag track so top speed becomes a factor even for things like the Ultimate Aero and Bugatti SS. And then maybe the opposite. The tiniest possible circle, for drifting.

Old Le Mans with a half pipe at both ends. Hell Yes.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Back in trackmania, I made a course which required you to hit a mile of boosters followed by a half pipe that, if used correctly, landed you back on the track going in reverse at which point you needed to slam into reverse to keep enough speed to go through a loop and continue the course. It was kinda like a J-turn only on the horizontal axis.

Anyway yeah a goddamn track editor would be great, even a simple one. Racing games right back to the megadrive had track editors. I'd even be happy with just being able to make your own benchmark track layout.

Ideally I'd love something that perhaps treats the track like a spline in 3d modelling: each segment has its own width, camber, height and curvature. Perhaps the issue is that people would create replicas of unlicensed tracks?

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh
The issue is why go through the effort of making a nice and powerful and easy to use content creation tool when you can create your own content and release it piecemeal for $5.00 a track?

DLC ruins everything

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

projecthalaxy posted:

One of the benchmark ring test tracks is quite literally a donut, where the middle of the track is just a tiny rear end bit of barrier, and a lap can be completed in about 6 seconds or less.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

j3rkstore posted:

You try getting your nanobots to to apply 45 ft/lbs to the spoiler fasteners...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bich posted:

Old Le Mans with a half pipe at both ends. Hell Yes.

The crashes would be breathtaking.

bich posted:

The issue is why go through the effort of making a nice and powerful and easy to use content creation tool when you can create your own content and release it piecemeal for $5.00 a track?

If you look in the case of Halo, you just get premade parts to work with, but from those you can make some amazing things but the official maps have things you can't really make. I assume the same would work with Forza, you probably wouldn't be able to remake you favorite track in real life (Turn 10 could) but you'd have the option of making something unique and interesting that Turn 10 would never release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Captain Hair posted:

Ideally I'd love something that perhaps treats the track like a spline in 3d modelling: each segment has its own width, camber, height and curvature. Perhaps the issue is that people would create replicas of unlicensed tracks?

Well you can use the vinyl editor to make replicas of copyrighted, trademark protected corporate logos and such, so maybe this wouldn't be a a big problem.

• Locked thread