Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Leyburn posted:

Cheers for the advice.

The guy who invaded me backstabbed me and killed me in one hit when I was fighting some assassins and then cast firestorm or something as I died.

Good job buddy!

Clearly doing it wrong, the correct low-level invasion goes:

*:getin:
*put on stupid gear, preferably mimic hat for self-damage
*locate the supple flesh of your host
*give fabulous prizes
*bare-hand parry their attacks and punch them in the face
*repeat until one of you is dead.

e:

Chard fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I invaded / assisted in the depths for several hours last night and at least four separate people tried to black crystal me away as a red phantom. :drac:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Demon's Souls has higher highs (environment of Latria, Astraea story arc, combat is a bit more lively, Flamelurker fight) and lower lows (farming Bladestone, the loving swamp level, Maneater boss, the opacity of the world tendency system) but overall it's almost exactly as good a game and no one with a ps3 should pass it up.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Oh man the Ornstein/Smough ones are amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr4ZQr7M20Y

KetchupYEAH!
Jul 25, 2011

Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap Bap

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Does someone have that weapon upgrade path graphic lying around? Thread moves fast and I don't want to have to dig through 50 pages for it.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/smaller-guide.jpg/270782500/800x696/smaller-guide.jpg

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Kongming posted:

The lamest part of any invasion is when people pull the plug on you when you warp in. Don't play online if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences!

Considering nine out of ten invaders are twinking fuckheads who prefer stomping newbies to actually going for a real challenge I can see why they do this. It is great to see the bitching if things don't go their way, though. Yes, you're the person with a flip ring and lightning zweihander +5 invading a SL3 character and somehow the host is the cheater.

With a few exceptions, gently caress invaders. Spirits of vengeance are way cooler and tend to be better at the game anyway.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, back to the Hellkite. Basically just stalling so I can avoid dying to O&S for another hour.

You can't do the glitch where you one-arrow its back anymore. You can't sit under the bridge and peg its head with arrows, because it'll eventually fold its wings and heal a few thousand points of health (which is complete and utter bullshit since there's nothing you can do to stop it and you'll never do more damage than its healing), you can't stand on the stairs and do that, because it'll heal - y'know, on the off-chance that it doesn't just go back and forth, breathing fire and giving you no openings - you can't fight it melee unless you get ungodly lucky, because every single melee attempt I've had involves it either just jumping up and one-shotting me, or fire-racing back and forth along the bridge.

There's no time to get in and hit it. Even if you convert a tower shield to be 100% fire resistant, it still moves and attacks so fast that you never have a chance to get in and hit it. Not unless you want to take the full brunt of the attack, anyway.

What, is the strategy to farm 99 Humanity, wait in the alcove, get one hit in on its leg, run down the stairs until it flies back up, and pray to whatever god you believe in that it doesn't heal itself back to full health?

If you can't kill the fucker with arrows, I'm at a loss for how to take it out at all. If it didn't heal, no problem, just sit and plink away at it. I had it down to a fourth of its health when boom, wings came in and it was back at full HP, even with me continuously peppering it the entire time. Is it timed? Does it always heal when it hits a certain point if you aren't just standing out in the open like a retard, baiting it to come and get you?

I thought it was only supposed to heal if you fled the battle, but no, I tried waiting in the alcove and after getting in a few completely useless hits on its feet as it landed, it still goes up and heals. So how do you beat it? It's not a matter of what it drops, because I know it doesn't drop much at all. It's just a giant thorn in my side and I'd like to take it out.

Strategies? Should I wait until I get the Dragonslayer bow? How much damage does that thing even do? I know the arrows are expensive as hell, but I've never checked the damage on either.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Chachi posted:

Considering nine out of ten invaders are twinking fuckheads who prefer stomping newbies to actually going for a real challenge I can see why they do this. It is great to see the bitching if things don't go their way, though. Yes, you're the person with a flip ring and lightning zweihander +5 invading a SL3 character and somehow the host is the cheater.

With a few exceptions, gently caress invaders. Spirits of vengeance are way cooler and tend to be better at the game anyway.

Alternately, invading is hilarious and the best part of the game.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

I've been lv 1 invading in the Parish, never attacking, only emoting and dropping items. Most people just annihilate me anyway. People are ruthless.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Ruder posted:

Alternately, invading is hilarious and the best part of the game.

Incorrect. Trolling low-level twinks is the best. :smugdog:

Crappy Jack posted:

It still makes me happy when I invade someone in the forest and we start things off by waving to each other. Jolly good competition.

Why can't more invaders do this? If the point is to have fun, why not actually crap around a little bit first?

Chachi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 27, 2012

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

Strategies?

It's not worth it. The Hellkite Dragon is a huge pain in the rear end to kill and nothing more than an exercise in frustration. Run past it and activate the bonfire/shortcut and never worry about it again.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

yrF posted:

I've been lv 1 invading in the Parish, never attacking, only emoting and dropping items. Most people just annihilate me anyway. People are ruthless.

It still makes me happy when I invade someone in the forest and we start things off by waving to each other. Jolly good competition.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
For Hellkite I just shoot it with an arrow while it's on it's perch. It will then land in order to gently caress you up. So you run up to it's foot stab it and run the gently caress away. Repeat Ad Nauseum.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So I failed the onion guy. :smith: I didn't realize he also had to survive with more than 50% health.

So I'm restarting and thinking of doing a faith build this time. Any hints on that angle?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

yrF posted:

They don't know what you're planning, though. You just look like a tasty sack of souls :unsmigghh:

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

For Hellkite I just shoot it with an arrow while it's on it's perch. It will then land in order to gently caress you up. So you run up to it's foot stab it and run the gently caress away. Repeat Ad Nauseum.

You don't even need arrows. Get to the safe spot on the right (same side as stairs) and just chill out. He will eventually come down to fight you, at which point you can run for the Sunlight Altar, or whack him once or twice and book it back downstairs.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So I failed the onion guy. :smith: I didn't realize he also had to survive with more than 50% health.

So I'm restarting and thinking of doing a faith build this time. Any hints on that angle?

Join the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant and get it to +1. I know it's kind of half way through the game, but Darkmoon Blade is very good, and it gets better at +2 and +3. Plus the Darkmoon Talisman is the best one in the game.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

you can't fight it melee unless you get ungodly lucky, because every single melee attempt I've had involves it either just jumping up and one-shotting me, or fire-racing back and forth along the bridge.

In this thread I've posted at least three times the melee method you need to use to kill him and avoid the flames. Right side of the bridge, just by where his foot will be when he lands, there is a safe spot. Standing just by the pillar there means the flames won't hit you.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

srb posted:

In this thread I've posted at least three times the melee method you need to use to kill him and avoid the flames. Right side of the bridge, just by where his foot will be when he lands, there is a safe spot. Standing just by the pillar there means the flames won't hit you.

give him a break, dude. from made his specific copy of dark souls: video game, unbeatable and bullshit in several areas.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

srb posted:

Also, literally two posts above this one I quoted.

Ruder posted:

give him a break, dude. from made his specific copy of dark souls: video game, unbeatable and bullshit in several areas.

That's awful, the poor man :ohdear:

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chachi posted:

This is a pretty funny post, considering that I was invading in higher level areas such as Anor Londo and Duke's Archives where I am SL75 and the playing field is quite even, but people still can't stand the thought of actually having to deal with another player so they pull their ethernet cable and then send mocking messages afterwards about how I am a "fag".

I think twinks are lame too but when you're in end game areas there really isn't any excuse for it unless you are just terrified of actually fighting other players.

ChibiSoma posted:

Even if you convert a tower shield to be 100% fire resistant, it still moves and attacks so fast that you never have a chance to get in and hit it.

You can't alter a shield's resistances which I explained to you when you brought it up before. I'm utterly convinced you never have any idea what you're talking about.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 27, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chard posted:

Clearly doing it wrong, the correct low-level invasion goes:

*:getin:
*put on stupid gear, preferably mimic hat for self-damage
*locate the supple flesh of your host
*give fabulous prizes
*bare-hand parry their attacks and punch them in the face
*repeat until one of you is dead.

I have a sl1 character in Demon's Souls and all I used to do with her was invade 2-1, poison my foe with an offhand Mercury Dagger, plague him with the Baby Nail, and then bleed them with an offhand Tearing Claw. When under this combo grass only heals for 1/4 its normal amount and they have to pretty much munch grass continually to stay alive. If they put up a good fight I'll drop some hardstone chunks, if they run away and summon spam I kill their geckos and kick them off cliffs, their Primeevil Demon too if they have one. The forth hand slot is for a Moon Falchion +5 that I use to kill off any bodyguards they might have when I warp in.

I enjoy it, not sure why really.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Umberger posted:

Join the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant and get it to +1. I know it's kind of half way through the game, but Darkmoon Blade is very good, and it gets better at +2 and +3. Plus the Darkmoon Talisman is the best one in the game.
Isn't that a PvP faction? I always feel bad to do that to people.
And I looked at the miracles and they look pretty meh most of them, especially since I just came from a pretty heavy pyromancy build. How do they expect me to fight with this stuff?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

And I looked at the miracles and they look pretty meh most of them, especially since I just came from a pretty heavy pyromancy build. How do they expect me to fight with this stuff?

By spamming Wrath of God.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
thinking of a fast paced uchi or similar build. What kind of stats should I aim for?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

A lot of miracles are support based, but there are some decent attack options.

Using either of the 'enchanting' miracles on a plus 15 weapon equals huge damage output. You can use silence to prevent casters from doing anything, or tranquil walk of peace to slow and confound your enemies. Wrath of the gods is great for obvious reasons, and all three of the sunbro miracles are great distance damage if you can land them. Project force can really screw up slower characters who can't evade it. Force is quick to cast and can disrupt your opponents... Take a look at the miracles on the wiki and think creatively.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

A lot of miracles are support based, but there are some decent attack options.

Using either of the 'enchanting' miracles on a plus 15 weapon equals huge damage output. You can use silence to prevent casters from doing anything, or tranquil walk of peace to slow and confound your enemies. Wrath of the gods is great for obvious reasons, and all three of the sunbro miracles are great distance damage if you can land them. Project force can really screw up slower characters who can't evade it. Force is quick to cast and can disrupt your opponents... Take a look at the miracles on the wiki and think creatively.

Hmmm, yeah, I guess I just have to have faith in the tools I'm given. Gotten too used to heathen fireballs, I suppose.
Thanks for the advice guys. :)

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
lol, turn the game on, human form, blighttown bonfire. walk into two firedogs and a weird scary monster typical mob and just get dominated. goodbye human form...lol

lol, second try...roll off the walkway :darksouls:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hello page 1000!

I'm playing through Dark Souls again; my first time playing it since the patch came out (whichever one nerfed pyromancy, lightning spears, golden-trimmed black armor set, etc.) This is my "pure knight" playthrough; no sorcery, no miracles, no bullshit; just a sword, shield, and some Estus Flasks.

My question is, did they go and make this game EASY with that patch? I was expecting a pure melee character to have some issues, but I'm halfway through the game without a problem. I'm not even sure I've died yet.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Awesome Animals posted:

lol, turn the game on, human form, blighttown bonfire. walk into two firedogs and a weird scary monster typical mob and just get dominated. goodbye human form...lol

Save your humanity. There's another bonfire in the swamp that's way closer to the boss.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

enojy posted:

My question is, did they go and make this game EASY with that patch? I was expecting a pure melee character to have some issues, but I'm halfway through the game without a problem. I'm not even sure I've died yet.

A lot of the difficulty in the game is being surprised by things. Every time you start a new character, regardless of how ridiculous you build it, the game will likely feel easier. Pure physical might make your damage a little lower but the high armor/poise and "fearless" playing that frequently accompanies that style of character will actually let you steamroll quite a bit. In fact, I'd go so far as to say a lot of the difficulty in the games comes from intimidating you from things that aren't as hard as you might imagine them. Shield up, hollow down!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

Don't even bother trying to summon there, you're better off just bumrushing the bottom bonfire. You'll want to rest there before tackling the boss anyway, so you'll have to banish (read: piss off) any phantoms who helped you get down.

I'd say that's actually over 50% of the way through Blighttown.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Lizard Wizard posted:

Save your humanity. There's another bonfire in the swamp that's way closer to the boss.

Oh, no worries, I was only in human form to kindle that bonfire so I could have 10 estus. I'm rarely in human form

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
drat some jerk invaded me and killed me while I was off helping someone for 5 minutes!

I didn't even get to fight back :ohdear:

srb
Jul 24, 2007

washow posted:

I didn't even get to fight back :ohdear:

-Me, as I play Battlefield 3 and you are flying.

Karma!

But yeah, I always quit if I'm in human form in an area I can be invaded in when I have to step away, it's just a quick load once I get back.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
HOLY poo poo! I went to investigate that tentacle thing because my arrows didn't damage it when I tried earlier. BOOM! One shot.

EDIT:: Apparently it was just an illusion that the arrows weren't doing anything...

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 27, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A bit belatedly, how strong is Sunlight Blade compared to Darkmoon Blade? I'm thinking of remaking my paladin, and I'm really not sure if I want to stay with the Darkmoonies.

Also, do either of the Gravelord Sword Dances require you to stay with Nito?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also, do either of the Gravelord Sword Dances require you to stay with Nito?

They do not, and they also don't have a faith requirement which makes them just ducky if you happen to have an attunement slot that's wanting. :getin:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Are those miracles worth using? I've never tried them and my one character uses offensive miracles a ton. Are they any good for PVP?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

enojy posted:

You get more souls per enemy and more frequent humanity drops since the patch, so you're likely to be a little stronger by the time you're doing any given area. Plus you might be pretty good at the game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Barudak posted:

Remember how much you hated the Gargoyle Fight? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah that was probably the worst fight in the game for me. On all the other bosses I could just lose several times and then solo them before long, but with bell gargoyles I HAD to summon Solaire. Just could not do it alone. I think I looked up the boss you're talking about and it does seem pretty terrible, at least for melee characters.

Honestly, a lot of the problems people are mentioning about the first game (item burden, weird world/player polarity, grinding, etc) sound like the sort of fundamentally broken things that would make the whole game annoying. I did watch a bit of the LP and it at least looked really good in that, though.

Eh, Dark Souls has its poorly designed bits and still I managed to beat it, I'll give Demon's Souls a try. I guess it isn't designed in such a way that you can go in blind and get a character permanently stuck with terrible gear or something, so there's always the wiki when I hit a wall.

• Locked thread