Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

quote:

If it's something that players can accept and work with, that I don't see any harm in having them there.

This is something that players accept and, for the most part, hate and wish didn't exist, which is why the IBS exists in the first place, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Takoluka posted:

This is something that players accept and, for the most part, hate and wish didn't exist, which is why the IBS exists in the first place, right?

Not really, it's more so they can go crazy with the flexibility offered by the combo system + custom assists and not have to worry about it. I'm struggling to think of a game-ruining infinite combo in a game that wasn't already obviously trash to begin with. Sengoku Basara X maybe? SamSho IV?

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Not really, it's more so they can go crazy with the flexibility offered by the combo system + custom assists and not have to worry about it. I'm struggling to think of a game-ruining infinite combo in a game that wasn't already obviously trash to begin with. Sengoku Basara X maybe? SamSho IV?

Its not so much that one infinite ruins a entire game, but we pretty much have to sit there and wait while the opponent just repeats a series of moves until we die, nobody wants that, and the fact that we cant do anything about it just adds to the annoyance.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Gamasutra interviewed Daisuke from Arc System and they touched on Skullgirls:

He played it back in Fanime 2010 when they demoed the game to ASW. It only had Filia and she wasn't even complete.

I think his mind would be totally blown if he played the game in its current state.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Slayer in GGXX was pretty close to this. GGX kind of counts too (between FDC and Mist Loop, which is kind of infinite-y even though its not a combo, FDC infinites were still really unhealthy).

I think Slayer might be the worst though, he managed to overshadow the most overpowered version of Eddie...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

He played it back in Fanime 2010 when they demoed the game to ASW. It only had Filia and she wasn't even complete.

I think his mind would be totally blown if he played the game in its current state.

The post-interview anecdote's pretty funny:

Mike Z posted:

We pitched SG to Arc at Fanime before we were signed. It was Filia only, half-colored...waaaay less complete than what I showed at SG's first Evo, even. So I'm not surprised the gameplay was unclear, since there was barely anything aside from movement and basics. Plus it's very difficult to explain the concept of a new type of infinite detection through a translator. >.<
However, when they saw the art book both he and Mori both gushed about the artstyle for so long they were late for their keynote speech and had to be reminded to go...and they came by Alex's booth later and bought one of everything on sale. It was pretty amazing.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Although infinites didn't "ruin" XMvSF in that it's still a really good game despite them, they basically define the game at high level and make it almost completely inaccessible to beginners. The highly open-ended and freeform combo system is one of the things that makes XMvSF super fun, but it also is what makes it have a jillion infinites that dominate high level play.

So yeah skullgirls took a lot of inspiration from that game in terms of how the physics and combos work, but IPS is in place largely to maintain that feeling of freedom without making new players feel helpless.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
I would like to see Daisuke's impression from a current build, or the finished product. Make sure a copy is given to them, so they can holler back.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Have any international players had an opportunity to try Skullgirls yet in any significant capacity (if so, impressions)? I don't think it was clear if it was only being released in the US or if it was also planning for release in other regions like Japan, Korea etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami's releasing it worldwide, as far as I know.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wonder how many other countries celebrate Valentine's Day, the release date of Skullgirls.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Saint Freak posted:

I wonder how many other countries celebrate Valentine's Day, the release date of Skullgirls.

If they don't already, they will now, for February 14th now marks a sacred day.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You guys are talking so much about it coming out on Feb. 14th, I'll be incredibly sad when it doesn't. I'm a PC user anyway, so it's not like I'm not expecting an April release. Maybe I can get it for my birthday.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Who will be the 8th character if this game will be released in synchronization with the day of the most glorious love. ..?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's not coming out on Valentine's Day and the 8th character is Bloody Marie.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Well I just don't know who to believe. :ohdear:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The 8th character is 3rd strike Makoto :getin:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I heard the 8th character is Ezio Auditore.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
8th character is Raiden. Doesn't matter which Raiden.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

PalmTreeFun posted:

Skulgril, I dans on yograbe. I am Raidaer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dizz posted:

The 8th character is 3rd strike Makoto :getin:
Pretty sure it is actually Violent Ken from SVC Chaos.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

PalmTreeFun posted:

MGS Raiden....??

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

washow posted:

MGS Raiden....??

No, the jet fighter from that scrolling shooter.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

washow posted:

MGS Raiden....??

shmup Raiden

Edit: Seriously, beaten?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

washow posted:

MGS Raiden....??

Smash Bros. has Snake, don't see why not. Could be shmup or KoF or MK or VOOT too, any Raiden works. VOOT's obviously the best one though. :colbert:

Or gently caress, throw in the original Japanese mythology Raiden.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 26, 2012

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Blue power up from the shump raiden was the best. Purple was the noob trap

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

PalmTreeFun posted:

Or gently caress, throw in the original Japanese mythology Raiden.

Oni confirmed

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Do all you guys who are saying Febuary 14th have no idea how Xbox Live Certification works or..?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The eighth character is the skull of a human woman hopping around and yelling at everybody like Morte in Planescape.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Endorph posted:

The eighth character is Mike Z.

i fixed that for you buddy

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

aldantefax posted:

i fixed that for you buddy

cerebella's already in the game though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jmcrofts posted:

Although infinites didn't "ruin" XMvSF in that it's still a really good game despite them, they basically define the game at high level and make it almost completely inaccessible to beginners. The highly open-ended and freeform combo system is one of the things that makes XMvSF super fun, but it also is what makes it have a jillion infinites that dominate high level play.

So yeah skullgirls took a lot of inspiration from that game in terms of how the physics and combos work, but IPS is in place largely to maintain that feeling of freedom without making new players feel helpless.

I've always wondered about XMvSF, actually. Is there anywhere I could read up on it? I knew it was packed with infinites, but not that it was considered a highly competitive game in spite of them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Put in lady david sirlin

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

ZackHoagie posted:

Do all you guys who are saying Febuary 14th have no idea how Xbox Live Certification works or..?

It works like this. On February 14th, officially known as "Valentine's Day" in the United States of America, the next hit fighting game Skullgirls will be certified and released on Xbox Live and PSN to the public.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
February is pretty much confirmed, but Valentine's Day is an unfounded rumor.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lady Gaga retires from pop stardom at the age of 69 on February 15th after playing Skullgirls for 44 years/1 day in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Goku.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

Lady Gaga retires from pop stardom at the age of 69 on February 15th after playing Skullgirls for 44 years/1 day in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Goku.

Such dedication to Skullgirls.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Transient People posted:

I've always wondered about XMvSF, actually. Is there anywhere I could read up on it? I knew it was packed with infinites, but not that it was considered a highly competitive game in spite of them.
Don't know about reading up on it, but there's a lot of footage on youtube from side tournaments run at major events. I know Dogface is pretty good at it, so there's a bunch of footage of him http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dogface+x+men

I don't remember where to find the lists, but I also remember there being separate tier lists for playing with infinites and without.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

ZackHoagie posted:

I'm the first one that posted that. That's because i'm on the inside. Chilldog doesn't know who I am though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Has anyone checked out the online store yet? Some great stuff, and the have the art assets for custom stuff. Parasoul's Black Egret background makes an awesome shirt by itself....

• Locked thread