Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

YOURFRIEND posted:

That doesn't sound fun at all.

Agreed. But if there was some way to activate it, like placing some kind of block that would make it happen randomly, or using an item that would make it happen instantly, that'd be cool.

Maybe we should just buy Mojang a bunch of copies of Terraria and they can work it out from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sounds fun if you have made the necessary preparations due to failed defenses in the past, and this time, you get the bastards... this time...

Why not just have a macguffin that triggers these events. Call it a 'Goblin statue.' or whatever, that you end up going Indiana Jones on and stealing it, and then the goblins come to attack you, your base, and steal it back.

Want goblins? Steal it. Don't want goblins? Don't take it.

E;fb

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Notch mentioned how he wanted to have a Zombie/Skeleton invasion mode. He never made it.

Much as I hate tower defense games, some sort of tower defense mode in Minecraft would be great. But that would mean they'd have to make more interesting weapons, and turrets, and different types of monsters. So it'll never happen. Thankfully I can see this being a mod when they come out with the API.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Only Minecraft.

kotaku posted:

The newest version of Minecraft greets players with the sentence "You are a friend of the family," if they switch their language settings to Afrikaans, the native language of South Africa and Namibia.

It appears to have been the doing of an unruly Minecraft user who was among many people who worked on language translations of the popular game. Minecraft's developers at Mojang have apologized and pinned this on the player-translator. The screenshot above is from Kotaku's Mike Fahey's version of the game.
http://kotaku.com/5880007/racial-epithet-shows-up-on-minecraft-menu-developer-apologizes

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Multi-million dollar international company crowd-sourcing language translations and not independently verifying them, folks. Hell, they didn't even SELECT all the languages in that release.

You get what you pay for.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Mods, can we get the "Reply" button on this thread replaced with this graphic?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

They made how much money off of Minecraft? And they just crowdsource it? Also, there's that good ol' Minecraft community Notch tweeted about.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That is what you get when you have no QA department. Also, this would be a good time to have someone who actually knows what they are doing to be in charge of PR instead of minecraft chick.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

Mods, can we get the "Reply" button on this thread replaced with this graphic?

Minecraft gang tag.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus loving christ. :notch:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

bango skank posted:

It's really more like

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bango skank posted:

Except it's not :notch:, but some idiot "translator" who thought it was funny.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

Except for the fact that the most rudimentary QA such as, you know, even selecting the goddamn language would have found this.

Mojang is really a terrible poo poo company that is terrible about business in every possible way, and just lucked the gently caress out by having a flagship game that everyone, myself included, really enjoys playing.

I love the game and gameplay, but the software itself is atrocious & Notch is a very poor coder & a horrible CEO.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Boat posted:

Except for the fact that the most rudimentary QA such as, you know, even selecting the goddamn language would have found this.

Mojang is really a terrible poo poo company that is terrible about business in every possible way, and just lucked the gently caress out by having a flagship game that everyone, myself included, really enjoys playing.

I love the game and gameplay, but the software itself is atrocious & Notch is a very poor coder & a horrible CEO.

I don't disagree with that. I guess I just took the :notch: usage as implication that he/they left it in there because of lolracism.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well this sets back the coolness of the latest snapshots and confirmation of a mod API a bit.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
The number of features they release vs. the timeframe, and the fact that there are still major bugs and QA issues, indicates that Mojang really don't have good processes in place.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Boat posted:

Seriously, it's right loving there. It's not even hidden away in the achievements or something (still not excusable, but a little more understandable). Incredible job, Mojang.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't disagree with that. I guess I just took the :notch: usage as implication that he/they left it in there because of lolracism.

Although we can assume that it wasn't on purpose if only by the fact that you would have to be literally insane to leave that in an official release, from a business perspective it is a huge faux pas and makes it all the more transparent that even though Minecraft is "Gold" and has proven earning power, the community is still serving as their primary source of QA. We are now Mojang's paying employees.

The brand control here is just shameful, and for a product like Minecraft, brand control is everything.

Also what company is honestly so cheap as to not pay somebody to do their translations? It could cost $300-$500 tops and a free subscription to get a native speaker to translate the entire game over email in a couple of hours.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 27, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sometimes poo poo needs to roll uphill.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlexDeGruven posted:

Boat said it well, it's a pretty huge loving issue that never should've made it past the most basic implementation of the different translations. But no, Notch insists on running Mojang as a cutesie indie developer with a half dozen employees doing who knows what with the millions Minecraft has made to date.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Agreed. But if there was some way to activate it, like placing some kind of block that would make it happen randomly, or using an item that would make it happen instantly, that'd be cool.

Maybe we should just buy Mojang a bunch of copies of Terraria and they can work it out from there.

I'd really hate a mob that could destroy walls. Just look at the Modding thread, where the Ogre from Mo' Creatures is almost without exception the first creature to be disabled. It's not fun to see your hard work be destroyed.

I mean, people are angry enough about Creepers, just imagine how they'd react to something that knocks through an elaborate castle.

But then again, I don't subscribe to the "Making it harder=Making it more fun" theory.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Kotaku's blocked at my work, so I can't read the whole article: did this crop up in one of the official releases, or is this only in the "snapshot" release?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Shnakepup posted:

Kotaku's blocked at my work, so I can't read the whole article: did this crop up in one of the official releases, or is this only in the "snapshot" release?

It's just in the snapshot.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

babies havin rabies posted:

Although we can assume that it wasn't on purpose if only by the fact that you would have to be literally insane to leave that in an official release, from a business perspective it is a huge faux pas and makes it all the more transparent that even though Minecraft is "Gold" and has proven earning power, the community is still serving as their primary source of QA. We are now Mojang's paying employees.

The brand control here is just shameful, and for a product like Minecraft, brand control is everything.

Also what company is honestly so cheap as to not pay somebody to do their translations? It could cost $300-$500 tops and a free subscription to get a native speaker to translate the entire game over email in a couple of hours.
I am a professional DE>EN and ES>EN translator. Given the number of localisation strings in Minecraft, we're talking closer to $100. Or maybe I'm just cheap :-P

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love it if there was a calendar. Regular days of the week, or made up ones, I don't care. But along with this calendar, there would be hidden (from the player) events, one of many being that mobs are ultra-vicious one night, and try to invade. Or a specific, very terrible mob shows up one day to wreck your poo poo, but you don't know when it'll happen, or even if it will at all.

Why not use the moon to do interesting things. Why don't wolves howl during the full moon? How about more (or nothing but) endermen spawning on new moons?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Given Mojang's past history about (not) screening stuff, this is not a surprise.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Boat posted:

Yeah this is really the only way to sum up that gaffe. Jesus.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

poemdexter posted:

This is based on absolute assumption and pure gut feeling, but I'm going to go ahead and call it and say Jeb is contracting out the API work with the bukkit team and the new API will consist of nothing but lovely hooks into events. This way, people get an API so they can check it off as developed but all the good mods will still have to rely on deobfuscated code plus people matching classes to obfuscated class and method names.

Wasn't this the exact reason why people were glad (at first?) that the there won't be an API but we get the unobfuscated code proper? And then they were't, and now we are getting the API but people still aren't happy... Although from what you're saying such an API that would allow for grand changes is possible? I am no programmer but those two points of view (having unlimited modding freedom vs. having flawless compatibility between mods) doesn't sound like something that's mutually inclusive.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Dibujante posted:

I am a professional DE>EN and ES>EN translator. Given the number of localisation strings in Minecraft, we're talking closer to $100. Or maybe I'm just cheap :-P

I'll confess, I pulled that number completely out of my rear end. I just wanted to convey that for a multi-million dollar company the ROI for 56 language translations at a couple hundred bucks a pop is huge enough to warrant a job well done instead of, well, this.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
This is not a multi-million dollar multinational company in the vein of IBM. It's still run as an 'indie' game company. Everyone complaining about the work processes and QA seem to forget that, no matter how much they charge for their finished product.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

This is not a multi-million dollar multinational company in the vein of IBM. It's still run as an 'indie' game company. Everyone complaining about the work processes and QA seem to forget that, no matter how much they charge for their finished product.

As was stated before the cost of an official translation is covered by the sale of about 7-8 copies.

Minecraft sells 10,000 copies a day

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

As was stated before the cost of an official translation is covered by the sale of about 7-8 copies.

Minecraft sells 10,000 copies a day

This. I just watched the site for a minute, and 14 copies were sold. One hour's worth of sales could fund the whole translation project. Sure, that doesn't take into account the manhours of coordination (finding translators, checking credentials, clarifying ambiguities, etc.), but that's where the "Mojang is incompetent" bit comes in.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

krushgroove posted:

It's still run as an 'indie' game company. Everyone complaining about the work processes and QA seem to forget that, no matter how much they charge for their finished product.
Yeah. That's the problem. It's idiotic to run it that way, and I don't think many people are forgetting that, since it's what we're complaining about.

That's also why people bitch about Notch treating important Minecon speakers like poo poo by making them pay for airfare (then trash-talking them for having the nerve to ask for compensation), then buying a $6,000 watch and bragging about it on twitter.

Locus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 27, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Multi-million dollar international company crowd-sourcing language translations and not independently verifying them, folks. Hell, they didn't even SELECT all the languages in that release.

You get what you pay for.

I was laughing at first because, of course, the Minecraft community was spergy enough to submit a Canadian English translation in a game with 20 lines of text (uh, not counting the "ending").

But now... this is even better. I know developing games is really, really hard and all but not checking stuff like this is completely insane.

krushgroove posted:

It's not run as an 'indie' company, it's run as a lovely one. There are tons of indie studios that make Mojang look like a bunch of clowns. Minecraft makes them a lot of money, but there's a lot of things they could be doing differently if they want to continue making money or make more money.

This just makes me feel bad for the guys who work on games like Recettear and SPAZ, run their businesses like professionals and have nothing but pleasant interactions with fans, that just weren't lucky enough to stumble upon a magical formula.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 27, 2012

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wonder what else slipped through.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Locus posted:

Yeah. That's the problem. It's idiotic to run it that way, and I don't think many people are forgetting that, since it's what we're complaining about.

That's also why people bitch about Notch treating important Minecon speakers like poo poo by making them pay for airfare (then trash-talking them for having the nerve to ask for compensation), then buying a $6,000 watch and bragging about it on twitter.

Too right - it makes no sense to run the company this way, yet it is - that's what I meant that at its heart it's still an independent (unprofessional) game development company. Absolutely no one expects it to be run like Valve or Id or EA, except maybe any non-gaming parents that bought it for their kids for Christmas.

At this point the drama of Minecraft development is more fun to observe than actually playing the game! It's crazy. I feel bad for Jeb, this just overshadows all the stuff he's put out in the past few weeks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

krushgroove posted:

Too right - it makes no sense to run the company this way, yet it is - that's what I meant that at its heart it's still an independent (unprofessional) game development company. Absolutely no one expects it to be run like Valve or Id or EA, except maybe any non-gaming parents that bought it for their kids for Christmas.

Small and independent does by no means mean unprofessional.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Too right - it makes no sense to run the company this way, yet it is - that's what I meant that at its heart it's still an independent (unprofessional) game development company.

That is completely unfair to the independent game development companies that have solid, professional reputations. You don't see this lack of professionalism from the developers of Dwarf Fortress (one guy, free game) or Dominions 3 (two people).

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Iacen posted:

I'd really hate a mob that could destroy walls. Just look at the Modding thread, where the Ogre from Mo' Creatures is almost without exception the first creature to be disabled. It's not fun to see your hard work be destroyed.

I mean, people are angry enough about Creepers, just imagine how they'd react to something that knocks through an elaborate castle.

But then again, I don't subscribe to the "Making it harder=Making it more fun" theory.

Oh no I agree, I forgot they were talking about ones that destroy walls and not ones that open doors. An ogre tearing through your house is The Worst Thing, but I wouldn't mind monsters that were smart enough to open doors and maybe mess with levers and buttons, or at least waves that happened periodically with increased spawns. Like, I'm thinking something like Oblivion here. A bunch of temporary nether portals open up in random spots outside and monsters start pouring out and coming straight at you, that'd be cool :allears: Just something to give you a reason to build complex traps as someone else said before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

This whole thing can be handled by Jeb over Twitter. Sure a PR firm would do a much better job of controlling this situation, but they cost a LOT of money, like thousands of dollars. They already got the translation done for free. No need to go spending money needlessly here.