Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Koburn posted:

Can anyone recommend some comedy audiobooks? I recently listened to and enjoyed Bossypants by Tina Fey and I, Partridge by Alan Partridge.

George Carlin's autobiography, Last Words: A Memoir is a terrific book, although not straight comedy. The audiobook is read by Patrick Carlin, George's older brother, who sounds exactly like a angrier, Irisher, rantier George Carlin. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnculturedSwine
Jul 7, 2006

Pulling Teeth posted:

I'm looking for a book on the history of witchcraft, preferably written by a genuine historian who has done genuine research, not someones fat mum who thinks she is a Wiccan. I'm interested in the practices themselves, community responses and religious responses to said practices. Bonus points if it is available on the kindle!

Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon is the most academically sound book of the history that I know of.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I posted this in Science, Academics and Languages too but I figure I could get a good response here too. I need to write more interestingly. I struggle at narrative prose and am going to fail royally in my writing of college application essays. I've head about Elements of Style but could use a few more suggestions. What should I read?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vegetable posted:

I posted this in Science, Academics and Languages too but I figure I could get a good response here too. I need to write more interestingly. I struggle at narrative prose and am going to fail royally in my writing of college application essays. I've head about Elements of Style but could use a few more suggestions. What should I read?

Read Elements of Style twice. Then try John Gardner's The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Seconding the Strunk and White, then Gardner advice. Those two books will really help. If you still need help, check if your library has any composition textbooks, those are sometimes helpful.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Vegetable posted:

I like Stanley Fish's new How to Write a Sentence. Say what you will about Stanley Fish, the guy knows his way around a sentence. His blog posts at the New York Times, when they focus on writing, are also quite good (and free).

If you have access to JSTOR through a library, read everything Donald Murray has written about writing or how he teaches writing. More especially:

- "Teach Writing as a Process Not Product" (Google this one--it's pretty important in pedagogy and composition studies)
- "The Maker's Eye: Revising Your Own Manuscripts" (again, Google)
- "Write Before Writing" in College Composition and Communication
- "The Interior View: One Writer's Philosophy of Composition" again in College Composition and Communication

...there are more on JSTOR that are more focused on the teaching of writing.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Vegetable posted:

Pretend you are talking to someone about something. Talk about something you care about, but don't worry about any rules when you first put pen to paper. Get the ideas down, then just clean them up. I think the block isn't your writing, it's forgetting that the point of writing is to tell somebody something. You don't try to write more interestingly, you write about something you think is interesting that you want to tell someone about, if that makes any sense.

Elements of Style is excellent, plus it's interesting to read. Strunk and White CARE about language and find the use of it interesting, and when they're talking about it, the end result is that they don't have to worry about writing more interestingly. ;)

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Zola posted:

You don't try to write more interestingly, you write about something you think is interesting that you want to tell someone about, if that makes any sense.

This is especially good advice for college app essays. You really want your essay to stand out- just think of how many essays the readers will be going through. Now think about how many of those are going to be about someone's grandma's death or how their trip to South America changed them as a person. An interesting, memorable topic (but not too out there, and I've always heard to avoid religious topics, just in case) is probably your most important goal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know the name of a short story about a book translator who alters this foreign authors books to include characters the translator has created?
He gets really annoyed when one of the books is formatted in such a way that it can't be altered in translation.

My friend was telling me about it, apparently it's from a book of European Short stories.

Thanks!

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Looking for a book to give to my dad for his birthday. He is a computer science professor, so some book that puts a human touch on the field would be good (though not the biography of Steve Jobs). Past favorites of his have been books by Bill Bryson, Roald Dahl, and J.R.R. Tolkien. Stateside-written books we've given him have been Moonwalking with Einstein and Bloody Confused! (about trying to follow soccer overseas).

Basically, he is your typical gentle, intelligent English giant. I don't think there is much he wouldn't like except stuff crappily or lazily written.

Thanks!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Looking for a book to give to my dad for his birthday. He is a computer science professor, so some book that puts a human touch on the field would be good (though not the biography of Steve Jobs). Past favorites of his have been books by Bill Bryson, Roald Dahl, and J.R.R. Tolkien. Stateside-written books we've given him have been Moonwalking with Einstein and Bloody Confused! (about trying to follow soccer overseas).

Basically, he is your typical gentle, intelligent English giant. I don't think there is much he wouldn't like except stuff crappily or lazily written.

Thanks!

My favorite dad books of recent years: John Vaillant's The Tiger, Simon Winchester's Atlantic, David White's Great Big Book of Horrible Things (Atrocitology in the UK), and Holly Tucker's Blood Work.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
What's a good book on the collapse of the Soviet Union? I'm looking for something good to start on, I suddenly want to learn everything I can about it.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

My favorite dad books of recent years: John Vaillant's The Tiger, Simon Winchester's Atlantic, David White's Great Big Book of Horrible Things (Atrocitology in the UK), and Holly Tucker's Blood Work.

Hey, thanks! I'll probably grab one of those for him, just not sure which one yet.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Koburn posted:

Can anyone recommend some comedy audiobooks? I recently listened to and enjoyed Bossypants by Tina Fey and I, Partridge by Alan Partridge.

The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman is pretty great if you like your humor dry.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved the section of Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland where he was working in the movie theater. I found myself a bit disappointed when that section was over because it was so good, and I was left wanting more of the same. Is there anything out there that has that same feel? I loved everything about it: the setting, the time period, the tone, the pacing, etc.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Hey, thanks! I'll probably grab one of those for him, just not sure which one yet.
If it means anything, I'll also recommend Atlantic. Winchester is mostly a good writer (though he does--like this--use dashes a bit too much--especially in the middle of sentences), but the subject and the sheer scope of what he does is great.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Alot of websites have been advertising a book called the Trilisk Ruins as a dirt-cheap but good book. Is it worth the time, though?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm looking for a decent book about the Tunguska event. I don't really care for speculations but would like to read about the facts and testimonies relating to the event. Is there a book of that kind out there?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

feedmyleg posted:

I loved the section of Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland where he was working in the movie theater. I found myself a bit disappointed when that section was over because it was so good, and I was left wanting more of the same. Is there anything out there that has that same feel? I loved everything about it: the setting, the time period, the tone, the pacing, etc.

Though they are fiction, that section reminded me a bit of Adam Langer's 1970's/80's coming-of-age novels Crossing California and Washington Story.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I need some light reading. For some reason I'm really in the mood for a horror or dark fantasy (emphasis on the dark rather than fantasy) novel set in a small town. Something more Alan Wake than Stephen King.

I'd love for it to be as well-written as such a thing could possibly be.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I’m looking for war novels, my original thought was WWII, but it doesn’t have to be. The Naked and The Dead and Thin Red Line are two that I’ve read and enjoyed.

I am NOT looking for CATCH-22 style comedy, patriotic propaganda or pure action. It’s been a long time, and perhaps it’s time for a revisit but I’m not much of Hemingway fan.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Dukket posted:

I’m looking for war novels, my original thought was WWII, but it doesn’t have to be. The Naked and The Dead and Thin Red Line are two that I’ve read and enjoyed.

I am NOT looking for CATCH-22 style comedy, patriotic propaganda or pure action. It’s been a long time, and perhaps it’s time for a revisit but I’m not much of Hemingway fan.

Karl Marlantes' Matterhorn. To quote myself, It's The Naked and the Dead without the unrelenting misogyny and with likable characters.

edit- Yeah, if you haven't read All Quiet..., that should be your next purchase. Beautiful, amazing book.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2012

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Dukket posted:

its about world war one, but the good solider svejk by jaroslav hasek is a great read

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

barkingclam posted:

its about world war one, but the good solider svejk by jaroslav hasek is a great read
It's a good book, but...

Dukket posted:

I am NOT looking for CATCH-22 style comedy

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dukket posted:

If you're up for some non-fiction, try Helmet for My Pillow, With the Old Breed, or A Rumor of War. The first two are the basis for HBO's The Pacific, the latter is Philip Caputo's memoir of his time in Vietnam.

For fiction, if you haven't already read All Quiet, read that now. The only other thing I can recommend off the top of my head is The Things They Carried, probably the best novel about Vietnam.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

inktvis posted:

It's a good book, but...

Yeah, not what I'm looking for atm, but I'll file it away for when I'm in the mood for satire.

funkybottoms - Matterhorn looks interesting, thanks.

I've been watching both Band of Brothers and Pacific lately, which is where the interest comes from, but like I said the particular war is less important.

Other suggestions are welcome :)

EDIT

Interesting, thanks
VVVVV

Dukket fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 2, 2012

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dukket posted:

Yeah, not what I'm looking for atm, but I'll file it away for when I'm in the mood for satire.

funkybottoms - Matterhorn looks interesting, thanks.

I've been watching both Band of Brothers and Pacific lately, which is where the interest comes from, but like I said the particular war is less important.

Other suggestions are welcome :)
The Shaaras have some real good war novels. Michael Shaara, the father, wrote The Killer Angels, regarded as one of the best Civil War novels there are, and his son Jeff Shaara writes about a bunch of other wars: he's written more about the Civil War, several WWII books, a couple American Revolution ones, and one each about the Mexican-American War and WWI. They're all good as far as I've read, so really it's down to which war you're most interested in reading about.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Could someone recommend a good Jefferson biography? I'm nearly finished with Ron Chernow's Washington bio, and I've already read McCullough's Adams book and Walter Isaacson's book on Franklin. I'd like to continue reading up on the founding fathers.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Ornamented Death posted:

Here is an unsolicited recommendation:

Do you like horror? Do you like Lovecraftian horror? Then you need to read That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley. Holy poo poo it is good.

Bought this, only on Jack's story and I love it. Any other recommendations for books like this is appreciated.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TL posted:

Could someone recommend a good Jefferson biography? I'm nearly finished with Ron Chernow's Washington bio, and I've already read McCullough's Adams book and Walter Isaacson's book on Franklin. I'd like to continue reading up on the founding fathers.

R. B. Bernstein wrote a very basic biography (titled Thomas Jefferson) which will cover the major facts.

American Sphinx by Joseph Ellis is a very detailed look at his life, although it's more psychological and speculative than political.

There is an enormous six-volume biography somewhere, but I can't vouch for that. It did win a Pulitzer, though.

Of course, you could read his own Writings - he has a very readable style, and one could learn a lot from those. There are multiple good readers out there, and the Library of America put out a good set just recently.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Where's a good place to start with Balzac?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I feel so guilty because I have all this popular genre fiction in my backlog. I created a "now reading" collection for my Kindle and it's seven pages long. A lot of probably over-rated, but much beloved modern writers and a mix of classic writers.

For example, I'm reading Boneshaker, A Monster Calls, and Mrs. Peregrine's right now. I'm half finished with Count of Monte Cristo, Nothing to Envy, and Omnivore's Dilemma.

And yet, something dawned on me today: after a decade "off", I'm kind of in the mood for Stephen King again. Things are so stressful around the house, I was thinking to myself: "what's my comfort reading?"

And that used to be Stephen King.

so: TL:DR version:

Which 70s/80s Stephen King novel should I read?

Already read:

Salem's Lot
The Stand
Cycle of the Werewolf
The Talisman
The Dark Tower
Eyes of the Dragon
Misery
Tommyknockers
Needful Things

and now we're getting into the 90s. I'll also be re-reading/reading ALL of his short story collections because I'm really really in the mood for those.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone will suggest IT and maybe I just answered my own question.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bengraven posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone will suggest IT and maybe I just answered my own question.

Yeah, that was going to be my suggestion. Or The Dark Half. Or The Running Man.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

bengraven posted:

Which 70s/80s Stephen King novel should I read?

I'd go with The Shining.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

I'd go with The Shining.

I completely agree.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The entire Dark Tower series, naturally.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Okay, so might as well read those classics that, not only did I never read, but I never watched the classic film based on it. So IT and the Shining.

Also, the Dark Half was actually my first SK book, but I remember couldn't getting through the first part. Then again, I was 12. That was exactly 20 years ago.

MrGreenShirt posted:

The entire Dark Tower series, naturally.

Yeah, I'm going to re-read the series at some point. Probably after an "unrelated" novel or two.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

bengraven posted:

Okay, so might as well read those classics that, not only did I never read, but I never watched the classic film based on it. So IT and the Shining.

I think it's one of his best novels. The movie is good- the visuals are particularly awesome- but it's not the greatest adaption of the book (hence the SK-lead remake a few years back).

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

I think it's one of his best novels. The movie is good- the visuals are particularly awesome- but it's not the greatest adaption of the book (hence the SK-lead remake a few years back).

Are you talking about the one with Stephen Weber of Wings fame? I need to watch that one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Where's a good place to start with Balzac?

Le Père Goriot, Lost Illusions, and Eugénie Grandet are good picks, I think. They're his most famous works for a reason.