Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
PSC Panthers are out!!! LINK

Hopefully by the time I get around to starting my soviets (probably next year as it seems the local club wants to do a Early war League and or escalation campaign) I'll be able to go 100% PSC.

YF19pilot posted:

He literally put nothing on the half of the board that wasn't blocked by that ridge.

That's really pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Those panthers look seriously nice.

So far I am pleased with my PSC haul, although the infantry are a tad fragile, and I fear for them when being handled my clumsy drunken gaming group. The Command Decision (Old Glory) metals mix well scale wise (Ive used them for command figures and support platoons).

Tonight will be their firts outing. Ive managed to paint all the Russians and basecoat the German uniforms so thats good enough for our group, especially for a playtest of a new rule set.

We will be trying one of the beginners scenarios from the I Aint Been Shot Mum 3 rule book, an all infantry affair, but with some sutble changes its not a assault by a veteran Eastern front German understrength company on a small hamlet held by a well dug in sacrficial Russian company made up of poor quality troops. I think the Commissar is going to have his work cut out. Im looking forward to seeing the blinds system in effect, and look forward to the German players underestimating the role of spotting in their excitement about smashing Commies, and blundering into ambushes.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I got a new camera, which made my wife suddenly take a whole new interest in my hobby. That is, she can take photos of the miniatures!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

I got a new camera, which made my wife suddenly take a whole new interest in my hobby. That is, she can take photos of the miniatures!

I love your poo poo man, you know I really do.

In the throes of decorating and re-organising furniture this weekend I emptied one of my display cabinets with my old finished FoW jazz in it and took the opportunity to snap some photos seeing as it was a lovely bright day.

It was quite nice and somewhat surprising seeing all the fully finished models laid out in a line.

Panzergrens and Finns

Panzergrens with half tracks

Big cats

The Yanks

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What is the tank with the Finnish insignia? Looks like one of those Soviet prototype light tanks they never got around to mass producing.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Ensign Expendable posted:

What is the tank with the Finnish insignia? Looks like one of those Soviet prototype light tanks they never got around to mass producing.

BT-42

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
These are the BT-42s

However he asked about the light tanks so I presume he means the T-26s

In which case just google them dude.

quote:

The T-26 tank was a Soviet light infantry tank used during many conflicts of the 1930s as well as during World War II. It was a development of the British Vickers 6-Ton tank and is widely considered one of the most successful tank designs of the 1930s.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I know at some point I said I would post some photos. Unfortunately today is a overcast day so meh.

The :pwn:

It is the second tank I painted and my first attempt to do German camo. Simple greened it a while ago and gave up on Germans.

Something i "finished" last night.

Need to work on not being so messy when trying to pick out the tiny rear end ropes and such.

A Cromwell

Group shot:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

big_g posted:

In which case just google them dude.

Durr, I didn't recognize them without the huge antenna.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
What do people do to build scenic bases? I have been using miliput (green grade) on my FoW Finns. It works well, but is kind of expensive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

KSAF Staff Report posted:

What do people do to build scenic bases? I have been using miliput (green grade) on my FoW Finns. It works well, but is kind of expensive.

It depends on scale. For 6mm I usually just put a thin layer of spackle on the base and put the miniatures on it. It works for 15mm too, and is cheaper than miliput or green stuff. Other times I just use sand and glue. However, if you want to actually make something other than mud, you probably need other materials.

For example, here are some 6mm miniatures just stuck in fine grade spackle. I intend to put some flock on it too, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It works for a muddy Waterloo field at an arm's length, but is not so fancy up close:

These 15mm crusaders are just plain playground sand and PVA glue:

These 28mm samurai are slightly more ambitiously based, but still mostly just sand and glue. The extra flair is achieved with tufts and foliage, products you can find at miniature railroad hobby shops.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Spackle/pollyfilla for my FoW stuff, with static grass after painting. For my Battletech stuff I glue some beach sand over the pollyfilla after painting it black and then add the grass later. Both would work fine for FoW.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I've found Vallejo scenic pastes work well for my FoW bases. Cheaper than using milliput but probably more expensive than spackle/filler.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The two things I find invaluable for FoW bases is vallejo pumice and woodland scenic tufts.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

I've found Vallejo scenic pastes work well for my FoW bases. Cheaper than using milliput but probably more expensive than spackle/filler.

I'm probably going to end up going this route for my new FoW force, since I always get too worked up about getting the right spackle/filler crap. I sperg out about stupid modeling details that don't matter much. :downs:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know of a place to get 15mm British/Canadian Infantry companies? Plastic Soldier has one for 1:72, and a damned fine 15mm Panzergrenadier company, but I'm not finding much for us Commonwealth boys.

Edit: I should add that for any of those interested, the Panzergrenadier company mentioned works out to $80 or so Canadian, which seems like a nice deal to my untrained eyes.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 25, 2012

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

Does anyone know of a place to get 15mm British/Canadian Infantry companies? Plastic Soldier has one for 1:72, and a damned fine 15mm Panzergrenadier company, but I'm not finding much for us Commonwealth boys.

Edit: I should add that for any of those interested, the Panzergrenadier company mentioned works out to $80 or so Canadian, which seems like a nice deal to my untrained eyes.

PSC is coming out with their commonwealth troops in 1:100 in a few months, I think. It's on their list of upcoming releases.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm going to recommend Old Glory for now and then switch to PSC when their 15mm commonwealth infantry comes out later this year. I have a bag and will try to post a scale comparison photo after work.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

I'm going to recommend Old Glory for now and then switch to PSC when their 15mm commonwealth infantry comes out later this year. I have a bag and will try to post a scale comparison photo after work.

Ive got Old Glory and PSC Russians and they scale pretty well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I may have posted this earlier, but here's a few Old Glory Command Decision Soviets sharing bases with Plastic Soldier Company models:

The only problems I've had are with CD's soft-cap guys, where it's apparent that the heads are noticeably bigger than their PSC counterparts.

For some good photos of the Command Decision British guys, you can check out the Skytrex site, which (I believe) are the same models.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

For some good photos of the Command Decision British guys, you can check out the Skytrex site, which (I believe) are the same models.

They are.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My huge box of Zvezda and Plastic Soldier Company tanks arrived today and I couldnt resist building a couple of the Zvezda tanks.

Heres a KV-1 and a T-26M.

Look at the size of that beast! Lovely.

Really easy to put together, technically its snap together so no glue needed, but I put a dab of superglue in all the right places to increase their robustness. Took mere minutes to build and they look pretty good. The plastic doesnt take well to filing at all though, but a sharp scalpal works well for getting rid of the few mould lines. I need to go back over them and clean them up a bit better, but all in all I am very chuffed. I will post pics of the PSC Pz3 and 4's and the T34's when I build them.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 27, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
February's Wargames Illustrated has a really great write up about the changes going in to FoW 3rd Edition. I'm pretty excited about it, honestly.

The game should move faster without it giving up a lot of the fun, like GW has done. The rulebook is now 3 books, but they come in a set together, and it includes lists for the 4 major LW forces (just like 1st Edition did).

I'm still reading through it, but it looks good.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
I agree. To help the not-us types, here's the video where they talk about some of the things as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ddt8rKpbyWs

Also, thanks for the suggestion on magnetic bases. I've done it with my Finns. No longer do I have to unbend rifles!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm still reading through it, but it looks good.

I'm annoyed because I only had the mini-rule book. gently caress YOU BATTLEFRONT I'M GOING BACK TO 40K.

Realy though, could you give a summery of the assault rules?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Numlock posted:

I'm annoyed because I only had the mini-rule book. gently caress YOU BATTLEFRONT I'M GOING BACK TO 40K.

Realy though, could you give a summery of the assault rules?

They'll be coming out with an Open Fire! type set later this year.

I went and bought the full rulebook just so I could get the mini-rulebook this month. I am a nerd.

EDIT: As far as assault, the part I skimmed said it should be better and faster, but I haven't really dug in to it, and until I have the book....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really hope my FLGS gets it in and doesn't pull the dick move of trying to charge for it.

Seriously, the dude has a bunch of Free RPG day giveaway scenarios in the bargin buckets with price tags on them....

Numlock
May 19, 2007

^^^
Seriously never go back to that store. Even if its the only one in 100 miles.

I bet I end up with one anyway. My local store is supposedly getting like 17 and there are bound to be people who have multiple rule books (for whatever reason) or maybe bought the book there but have moved away, will get it at some other store, or don't play flames of war because they are Serotonin.

Just in the last hour I've read a rumor that v3 will change how smoke works again, chiefly in that it won't block LOS anymore.

In other news I am now done with my 7th armored list (in that I have all the models and most of them painted).

HQ:

2x Cromwell
1x Cromwell ARV

Combat Platoons:

3x Cromwell Platoons (3 Cromwells and 1 Firefly)

Recce stuff:

3x Stuart IV

Support stuff:

4x M10C

4x 25pdr (corps)

Next up, Hungarians. The amount of options axis lists can take is making me dizzy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh, his prices on poo poo that should have a price tend to be pretty decent, and the staffers give no fucks about his crap. Inventory is kind of a joke in there, since they buy in second hand *everything*.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Eh, his prices on poo poo that should have a price tend to be pretty decent, and the staffers give no fucks about his crap. Inventory is kind of a joke in there, since they buy in second hand *everything*.

BattleFront says they'll have ways to help people out without a store, so that may apply to you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, but I keep getting poo poo sent to me to fix missing parts etc so there's gotta be a theoretical "gently caress this joker" limit somewhere.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Hell yeah.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Stop tempting me into starting WW2, no-one plays it around here anyway. :(

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The first of the PSC models- a lot more complicated to construct but still not too tricky or fiddly. Took me about 15 mins all in.

The 76 early war (which is what I will be fielding)

The 85 big old nasty fascist basher.

I love the way all you have to do is swap out the turrets, lovely touch.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Is anyone interested in buying some Empress Miniatures stuff (us infantry, specifically) for ambush alley from me? The game is nice, and the figures are cool and all but no one really plays it

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 28, 2012

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Serotonin posted:

The first of the PSC models- a lot more complicated to construct but still not too tricky or fiddly. Took me about 15 mins all in.

These look brilliant thanks for posting the pics.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Stop tempting me into starting WW2, no-one plays it around here anyway. :(

Really? Generally in gaming stores I've been to its obvious that the two most popular games are War machine/Hordes and Flames of War.

Those plastics would be a good way of getting two small armies together and infecting your local players...

Edit:

There are like 40 tanks in this photo 40!!!! and this was only a 1575 point game. We got there an hour and half late so we had slim pickings on the terrain though. :(

Incidentally we settled which was better, US Shermans vs British Cromwells. CROMWELLS WON DAWG AAHHHH YEAAH.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2012

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Numlock posted:

Really? Generally in gaming stores I've been to its obvious that the two most popular games are War machine/Hordes and Flames of War.

Those plastics would be a good way of getting two small armies together and infecting your local players...

Edit:

There are like 40 tanks in this photo 40!!!! and this was only a 1575 point game. We got there an hour and half late so we had slim pickings on the terrain though. :(

Incidentally we settled which was better, US Shermans vs British Cromwells. CROMWELLS WON DAWG AAHHHH YEAAH.

At our club it is pretty much only 40K and Warmachine. There was a short flash of FoW about a year ago, but it died out quite quickly and only 2 or 3 people had any armies for it. But yes, with cheap plastics it's not such a big feat to put two opposing armies together.

But even when me and the only other person at the club who is serious about historicals put together enough DBA armies for a 6 player tournament, it wasn't enough to get interest started. Historicals are so dead in this area. :(

Numlock
May 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

At our club it is pretty much only 40K and Warmachine. There was a short flash of FoW about a year ago, but it died out quite quickly and only 2 or 3 people had any armies for it. But yes, with cheap plastics it's not such a big feat to put two opposing armies together.

But even when me and the only other person at the club who is serious about historicals put together enough DBA armies for a 6 player tournament, it wasn't enough to get interest started. Historicals are so dead in this area. :(

I would just start playing with that guy (unless you hate him or something) once or twice a month if not more often. If people see you guys playing it regularly then people will become interested. Also I bet you that at least once a month somebody walks in and asks about Flames of war only to be told that "nobody plays it here" and then never shows up again. That would change if they were told instead, "Oh well there are those guys who play every 2nd Saturday of the month..."

First task would be to find those old Flames of War guys and get them playing again with you. Or at least scoop up their armies on the cheap.

Painted armies and non-lovely terrain also helps a lot. People walking in will see a table with some poorly glued together and unpainted models among bits of garbage randomly placed here and there, and then they will see your painted armies on a board that looks like a photograph of Northern France (or maybe Russia, or North Africa) and they will gravitate to your table.

I was talking to the guy who is basically the leader of our local group (he tends to be the guy organizing everything) about our terrain problem. It is because in the last two years his group has gone from him and another dude playing it in a corner to about 12. We apparently have even started annoying the warmachine/hordes guys because one certain days we will take up every table in the store.

Also to be frank, what i've heard on the internet (the source of all truth) but also confirmed by my own eyes, is that Historicals in general are a thing people don't get into until after ~25. Seems that the point were stuff like Elves and SpaceNinjas lose a lot of their appeal and recreating the battle of Manzikert becomes more appealing. So you might just be SOL if everybody in your group is 16-20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Serotonin posted:

Are you going to paint them? Unpainted plastic looks really unpleasant to me for some reason.

Also that's a T-34 with the hexagonal "Mickey Mouse" turret, that would be more mid-war than early war.
:goonsay: