Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
Balls. So if anyone hasn't noticed, 4oD have made it so that you must have all your ad-blockers disabled in order to watch videos on their sites.

That said, ad-blockers work on YouTube and all their content should be mirrored there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

CydonianKnight posted:

Balls. So if anyone hasn't noticed, 4oD have made it so that you must have all your ad-blockers disabled in order to watch videos on their sites.

That said, ad-blockers work on YouTube and all their content should be mirrored there.

All of their Youtube content is blocked in the UK though.

Oh well back to files for the rare occasion that c4 broadcast something good.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

keep punching joe posted:

wha? Channel 4 has it's own On Demand youtube channel where you can find pretty much everything that's on 4OD, if anything it is for UK users only

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

Oh well back to files for the rare occasion that c4 broadcast something good.
Yeah man right on! How dare they try to make it so they can earn a bit of money back on the content they create and deliver to you!? How very dare they.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

True story I saw 1 (one) advert before a 4OD programme and I nearly died from the horror of it all.

Padje posted:

I watched Skins on dvd (and only on dvd) and this bit was definitely there.
Interesting. I wonder if they got it sorted for a later print run. Or I've completely mixed it up with a similar scene in something else.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't the same two to three adverts every single ad break. Nor if when it cut out and the page had to be reloaded that you then had to sit through SIX adverts (the same set of 3 repeated twice) to get back to where you were.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Paperhouse posted:

it's very witty .
It was one of those shows I'd become aware of the name and its slightly cultish status, without being aware of exactly what it was. One day I stumbled across an episode mid-run on E4, stopped channel-hoping for Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham, and ultimately fell for the wit. For a while, watching a new episode before I did anything else became my daily post-work routine.

If only it were real life, so I could marry Rory and have Lorelai as my step-mum.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 26, 2012

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

CydonianKnight posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't the same two to three adverts every single ad break. Nor if when it cut out and the page had to be reloaded that you then had to sit through SIX adverts (the same set of 3 repeated twice) to get back to where you were.

Ergonomic keyboard

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jan/26/mark-thompson-readiness-step-down-bbc

quote:

Mark Thompson, the BBC's director general, has signalled to senior colleagues that he is ready to step down, with insiders believing he will quit at the end of 2012 or early in 2013, at the end of the broadcaster's Olympic year.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Steve Higginson posted:

Ergonomic keyboard

That whole scene has been rendered utterly unfunny because the amount of times I saw it pre-blocker.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Yeah seriously I've no problem with Channel 4 wanting to make money from adverts on their content but their whole advertising model is loving obnoxious. Having the same few adverts on constant repeat, having to watch all the ads if you're just trying to find a particular clip of the programme, and having to reload stuff to make it work on a poor connection and then having to sit through every ad break again while you skip back to where you were, makes the service intolerable. I agree that without adblocker its not worth using at all.

And its painfully reminiscent of the whole Black Mirror content-won't-continue-til-your-eyes-are-on-the-screen thing.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

incredible bear posted:

All I've heard about Borgen is that HEY GUYS IT'S GOT PEOPLE FROM THE KILLING IN IT. Which is great, only I haven't got around to watching The Killing yet, and I haven't actually heard anyone, yourself included, actually say that it's brilliant TV that must be watched.

Everyone just keeps saying "Oh hey Borgen is on." yeah great, so's Jamie's Ice Skating Cafeteria. Sell it to us.

It's good. It basically asks the question 'what would happen if a good person became a world leader?', and in that respect the influence of The West Wing is obvious.

However, I think it's really well put together and pretty much the only good thing on TV at the moment.

I'd recommend giving it a go. You can do a series catch-up on the iPlayer.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy is really embarrassingly bad.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy is really embarrassingly bad.

Yeah it was pretty loving terrible, I mean I expected it to be bad but jeez.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah :(
What the heck. It was like boosh with the charm removed.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Noel Fielding makes faces, wears costumes and says words next to eachother for half an hour. What's to like?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It'd be hilarious if it ends with Noel Fielding going all bitter. He keeps up his little act but instead of being light slightly unfunny cheeky chap he is the bitter arse. With a cape.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I just found this video [in the latest b3ta] of the channel 4 continuity guys not saying the simpsons https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hS7be8PqktI
I hadn't caught this on TV before and found it hilarious. Anyone know if there's a more complete video or is this all of them?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I found the first sketch pretty funny and then the novelty wore off :(

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Crankit posted:

I just found this video [in the latest b3ta] of the channel 4 continuity guys not saying the simpsons https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hS7be8PqktI
I hadn't caught this on TV before and found it hilarious. Anyone know if there's a more complete video or is this all of them?
They're still doing it so there should be some more since that went up on youtube. Someone out there is bound to be recording them.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Taratang posted:

They're still doing it so there should be some more since that went up on youtube. Someone out there is bound to be recording them.

Does anyone know why they are doing this? I noticed it in the run up to the Channel 4 Mashup, and presumed it was for that, but it is still going strong! My next guess is some kind of marketing to get people talking about it.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Luxury Comedy was embarrassing to watch, basically just 20 minutes of Noel Fielding doing the 'lol random' stuff that you do when you're 10 years old. I always thought Boosh had some charm to it ("What is Leeds?" "Leeds is a state of mind.") but this was just godawful. Julian Barratt must be the talented one I guess.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Captain Mediocre posted:

Yeah seriously I've no problem with Channel 4 wanting to make money from adverts on their content but their whole advertising model is loving obnoxious. Having the same few adverts on constant repeat, having to watch all the ads if you're just trying to find a particular clip of the programme, and having to reload stuff to make it work on a poor connection and then having to sit through every ad break again while you skip back to where you were, makes the service intolerable. I agree that without adblocker its not worth using at all.

And its painfully reminiscent of the whole Black Mirror content-won't-continue-til-your-eyes-are-on-the-screen thing.

Ad campaigns generally have fairly large impression targets, and to reach those targets (and therefore allow for more campaigns with the different unique adverts you crave) people need to watch content without adblockers. If you watch 4oD with an adblocker on you are adding to the problem, VoD services are struggling enough financially as it is.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Ein Bear posted:

Luxury Comedy was embarrassing to watch, basically just 20 minutes of Noel Fielding doing the 'lol random' stuff that you do when you're 10 years old. I always thought Boosh had some charm to it ("What is Leeds?" "Leeds is a state of mind.") but this was just godawful. Julian Barratt must be the talented one I guess.

I couldn't agree more. With some very minor editing, this is a childrens show with no substance or comedy. The best episodes of the Mighty Boosh were the ones with the strongest story to carry the random situations and words, this had nothing to put the randomness next to and make it funny.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Jollzwhin posted:

Ad campaigns generally have fairly large impression targets, and to reach those targets (and therefore allow for more campaigns with the different unique adverts you crave) people need to watch content without adblockers. If you watch 4oD with an adblocker on you are adding to the problem, VoD services are struggling enough financially as it is.

I'm not sure thats true, aren't viewing figures for adverts just based on rough projections rather than actual tracking data of how many users streamed x advert exactly?

Nor would that change the retarded way their adverts are implemented, the variety of adverts is frankly bottom of my concerns.

The fact that advertising in general makes my blood boil also makes it pretty hard to feel sympathy, sorry.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm not sure thats true, aren't viewing figures for adverts just based on rough projections rather than actual tracking data of how many users streamed x advert exactly?

Nor would that change the retarded way their adverts are implemented, the variety of adverts is frankly bottom of my concerns.

The fact that advertising in general makes my blood boil also makes it pretty hard to feel sympathy, sorry.

Advertising wouldn't have such a bad reception if it was implemented well and if it was actually relevant to the user.

Good advertising: You're watching a video on youtube, 3/4 if the way through it, a small non distracting popup appears to the side of the video telling you that an ad (which for something very related to the content you just watched) will play once it's done.

Bad advertising: Forcing me to watch a loving un-skippable ad about a car before any youtube video.

In short, advertising wouldn't be bad if it was used appropriately. In fact, it would be infinitely more effective if irrelevant poo poo wasn't forced down our throats all the time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You don't have to go back too many pages to find me commenting on 4oD interrupting a programme to show me an advert for the programme I was watching.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fire_Monkey posted:

Does anyone know why they are doing this? I noticed it in the run up to the Channel 4 Mashup, and presumed it was for that, but it is still going strong! My next guess is some kind of marketing to get people talking about it.

Derren Brown.

Possibly.

It's hilarious no matter what. If it's marketing, it's working, because I'm tuning in for the end of Come Dine With Me just to see what they say this time!

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Captain Mediocre posted:

They are sold on that principle. However actual advert data is collected, generally by the ad server and also potentially by the creative agency to determine the number of users who actually watched the advert, and if the broadcaster doesn't deliver the specified impressions they have to pay back some of the money. It's actually possible to accurately track VoD advertising views, unlike linear (broadcast). I agree most adverts are terrible, and there's nothing worse than starting a show and seeing some timer telling you there are 150 seconds before the show starts, but these services need to pay for delivery somehow. Bandwidth is cheap (ish), but rights are not.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I found moments of fielding quite funny. Not that much of it admittedly. But I quite enjoyed the ball, saucer, Pele thing.

The plus point is that hopefully this will leave Julian Barrett to appear in some awesome dark thing written by anybody. I like him.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Ben Soosneb posted:

I found moments of fielding quite funny. Not that much of it admittedly. But I quite enjoyed the ball, saucer, Pele thing.

The plus point is that hopefully this will leave Julian Barrett to appear in some awesome dark thing written by anybody. I like him.

I thought the bit with the lion was quite good, the rest of it was the bad parts of boosh without the redeeming features.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Jollzwhin posted:

If you watch 4oD with an adblocker on you are adding to the problem, VoD services are struggling enough financially as it is.

If you watch 4oD at all you're adding to the problem, which is that Channel 4 doesn't know it's unusable dogshit and they should just get on with moving it all to Youtube.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Strawman posted:

I thought the bit with the lion was quite good, the rest of it was the bad parts of boosh without the redeeming features.

He should have Rich Fulcher on set every time he films anything and just let him ruin every scene in whatever way he sees fit.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Check out 30:37 on iplayer, BBC 3, How the Brits Rocked for a cynical giggle.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Jessant posted:

He should have Rich Fulcher on set every time he films anything and just let him ruin every scene in whatever way he sees fit.

He should just pay for another series of snuff box.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jessant posted:

Seriously, we need more Rich Fulcher on telly. And more Snuffbox. Why the gently caress hasn't anyone hired Matt Berry lately either?

I don't hate Fielding but it looks like he spent too much time in Barrets shadow and I hope his show flopping will be the boot in his arse to get him motivated and improve.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
With the continuity announcers Simpsons thing, it seems clear to me that they're just having a laugh with it because they've been introducing old episodes of the Simpsons every day for years now and neither they nor their producers give a poo poo.

All this talk about a Derren Brown mind experiment is really far-fetched, first of all because it doesn't reach anything like a large, targeted audience and isn't a suggestion of any kind, and secondly because all that stuff he claims to do to hypnotise people isn't real, he uses magic tricks and dresses them up as psychological manipulation.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, we need more Rich Fulcher on telly. And more Snuffbox. Why the gently caress hasn't anyone hired Matt Berry lately either?

He was in that sweetie advert, puzzlers or summat.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Hoops posted:

he uses magic tricks and dresses them up as psychological manipulation.

This is a really bizarre way of seeing it. As I see it, magic tricks are inherently psychological manipulation dressed up with mysticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hoops posted:

With the continuity announcers Simpsons thing, it seems clear to me that they're just having a laugh with it because they've been introducing old episodes of the Simpsons every day for years now and neither they nor their producers give a poo poo.

All this talk about a Derren Brown mind experiment is really far-fetched, first of all because it doesn't reach anything like a large, targeted audience and isn't a suggestion of any kind, and secondly because all that stuff he claims to do to hypnotise people isn't real, he uses magic tricks and dresses them up as psychological manipulation.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here (I do actually think it's what you wrote in your first sentence), but if it were indeed Derren Brown's doing then he could comment about how much media and Internet attention the continuity running joke got, but also has somewhere put in a "hiding in plain sight" continuity goof which nobody noticed, as some kind of commentary on... suggestibility or whatever.

Personally, Snuff Box is one of the only series that come under "must-watch dark/cult comedy" lists that I really didn't get along with. It was imaginitive, at least the first episode was, but not very funny barring a couple of exceptional sketches.