Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cultureulterior posted:

Ipad 2: 1024x768
8.08" × 6.06" (20.52cm × 15.39cm) = 131.96 PPI

Thrive 7: 1280x800
5.94" × 3.71" (15.08cm × 9.42cm) = 215.63 PPI

Not a huge difference. Now, number of pixels, that's different. I'm pretty happy with my 7 for reading comics, however. Read the entire run of Miracleman on it, and it was fine.

There, I fixed it for things that actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Install Gentoo posted:

There, I fixed it for things that actually exist.

It already exists; you just can't buy for a few months. Although it's going to sell out so quickly you may not be able to buy it for a while after launch.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

AppleCobbler posted:

Shut the gently caress up about the iPad, this is not the right thread or forum for this.

Do not compare Android tablets to the #1 competitor in the market! Rawr!

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Toady posted:

Do not compare Android tablets to the #1 competitor in the market! Rawr!

:lol: at any tablets being competitors to the iPad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I'm not going to buy an iPad 2, so that "fixed" chart doesn't help things. I'm buying either an iPad 3 or a TF Prime at the moment, but thanks a lot.

I realize Apple gets a lot of things right, but their conservative approach in incremental things forward hurts them a ton. I would not have transfer stuff was a little important to me, and not having to use iTunes on the PC as a gateway of transferring stuff (which I can't, since I'm an Ubuntu/Linux user) meant a lot.

I get recommending Apple to family members, I do it a lot myself, but I only buy one for me if they're ahead of the curve of the competition, and they've only been competitive for a few months now. You don't need to do it in this thread because we're not all technophobe family members. I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu to my mother, either.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

eric posted:

:lol: at any tablets being competitors to the iPad.

"You rated this thread '1'! Great job, go hog wild!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eric posted:

It already exists; you just can't buy for a few months. Although it's going to sell out so quickly you may not be able to buy it for a while after launch.

It's stupid to claim features that Apple hasn't claimed yet.

Particularly 2048x1536 which was also "supposed to be" on the iPad 2.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Uthor posted:

That doesn't take into account if you enjoy loving around with your toys. When I spent four hours rooting, installing custom ROMs, and tweaking my phone, I did it because it was fun.

Wouldn't Lego blocks be cheaper? You've completely missed the point of post-PC appliance devices.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Toady posted:

Wouldn't Lego blocks be cheaper? You've completely missed the point of post-PC appliance devices.

Do you not understand that the purpose of rooting and tinkering is to add features that some people may want, not features that should be stock? Things like overclocking, theming, or changing to a different OS version, are things people want to do because they want their device to be exactly how THEY want it.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Toady posted:

So in order to want a tablet form factor, you therefore have to not want to tinker with things? Also loads of stuff is more expensive than lego that people like to tinker with.

Install Gentoo posted:

It's stupid to claim features that Apple hasn't claimed yet.

Particularly 2048x1536 which was also "supposed to be" on the iPad 2.

At the time the iPad 2 was rumoured it would have been prohibitively expensive, now tablets are being announced approaching that resolution anyway, and the jump from 1920x1080 to 2048x1536 seems pretty close to the jump from 640x480 to 960x640.
It really isn't that unlikely that the iPad will have it since super high res displays have already been latched onto as great marketing features by apple.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's just weird. Apple, with the iPod, finally "got right" a lot of what was wrong with the fragmented and Engrish market of MP3 players and made it accessible and easy to use. They then continued on with the iPhone and iPad - they didn't coin just a catchphrase, but literally proved that their stuff Just Works.

You tap on something, it registers. You swipe, it registers and doesn't lag. You want music? You just download it. You want apps? There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework? Just pick up the flavor of the year.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not. Impressive.

If so, you forgot "magical" in there 12 times.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shorter Than Some posted:

At the time the iPad 2 was rumoured it would have been prohibitively expensive, now tablets are being announced approaching that resolution anyway, and the jump from 1920x1080 to 2048x1536 seems pretty close to the jump from 640x480 to 960x640.
It really isn't that unlikely that the iPad will have it since super high res displays have already been latched onto as great marketing features by apple.

Are there even any 1920x1080 tablets actually out?

(ps the iphone was 480x320 to 960x640, not 640x480 to 960x640. It's quadruple the pixel count, like 2048x1536 from 1024x768 would be, not double as 640x480 to 960x640 would be)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Install Gentoo posted:

No, all we have right now in terms of anything substantial are 1920x1200 tablets that were shown by asus and lenovo. Asus is the only one to price anything, and that comes in at 100 dollars more for the added res.

Those are quoted as "sometime" Q2 2012. There's so many logistic things that need to happen from assembly on up in terms of manufacturing. I'd bet anything on delays. Asus claims "june" but they claimed october for the prime and it's only now starting to be available in late jan.

If you go by the speculation (and that's all we have despite anyone claiming otherwise): apple has shored up most of these panel manufacturers (sharp, et al) so it's feasible they'll bump res on their next release. Anyone claiming it's a sure thing should look at the same exact speculation on the ipad 2 (not to mention the sure fire 5 that turned out to be a 4s)

Is it a pretty safe assumption? Yeah, I don't see them continuing at 1024 for yet another gen if they want to stay competitive. What that entails though, we don't know. Lenovo won't even bother quoting anything other then "aimed at business users" for their x1200 tab. We're seeing the higher costs of producing panels directly adjusted in the MSRP.

I'd be the first to celebrate a 500 16 gig 2048 tablet (even if 4:3 is a pretty awful choice for anything media related). Competition is excellent for all of us, unless you own stock in just one of these companies. Blind fanboyism, here of all places, is incredibly puzzling. Are you related to eric schmidt or tim cook?

edit:
This link, though from june/11 is still an interesting read in terms of who supplies display panels. It also mentions the 40-45 million ipads produced in 2011. That should be interesting to see number wise in march when they announce sales numbers. Last year (3/11) it was 15 mil in 9 months of availability (2010). This year they ramped up production to the afore mentioned 40 million range. If they hit that, that's a pretty huge jump from 15 mil to 45 in a year. Conversely the xoom moved 1 million units.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 28, 2012

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Argh. Finally have a Transformer Prime on it's way from newegg. Won't get there till Tuesday, so last few days I've been looking for the dock. Yesterday, Bestbuy had them in stock about 40 miles south. To far, but figured if they were still in stock I'd take a long lunch on Monday and get it. Checked again today, it's in stock about 20 miles away near where I was going anyway. Start ordering it, in store pickup today, get to the last confirmation screen and it's now in store pickup 2/3. I'm leaving 2/2 on vacation. (Coincidentally checking best buy for where I'll be on vacation 4 stores have them in stock now.)

Hopefully someone will get them in stock this week. Fry's doesn't even have the dock in their inventory system!

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

No but neither is the iPad 3, they'l be out by the time it is.

Install Gentoo posted:

(ps the iphone was 480x320 to 960x640, not 640x480 to 960x640. It's quadruple the pixel count, like 2048x1536 from 1024x768 would be, not double as 640x480 to 960x640 would be)

I was referring to the common resolution of other phones at the time with 640x480, not the essentialy 3 year old resolution of the previous iPhone.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not. Impressive.

If so, you forgot "magical" in there 12 times.
Why wouldn't an Android user want to write about their tablet like that? What's wrong with things working out of the box?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Why wouldn't an Android user want to write about their tablet like that? What's wrong with things working out of the box?

What are you even talking about at this point? My A500 may be clunky and ugly but it works 100% fine out of the box, as do the Samsung honeycomb tablets I've used.

Its a big leap to say all Android tablets need loving about with to make them functional.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

It's just weird. Apple, with the iPod, finally "got right" a lot of what was wrong with the fragmented and Engrish market of MP3 players and made it accessible and easy to use. They then continued on with the iPhone and iPad - they didn't coin just a catchphrase, but literally proved that their stuff Just Works.

You tap on something, it registers. You swipe, it registers and doesn't lag. You want music? You just download it. You want apps? There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework? Just pick up the flavor of the year.

You have problems? Go into an actual brick and mortar store and get it replaced by guys who know what they're doing. You don't live close to one? Call Apple Care and get an English speaking guy from the same country you're calling from and get help.

Apple also has a good business practice where the customer is always right, and a very high reputation to uphold so they'll bend over backwards for their consumers

Their products are so popular that random stores stock random accessories - you can't go into one mall without finding a slew of cases or cords.

They are also so popular that the products will continue to be supported for years to come, and because it's so popular you know you're not buying into something that will phase out with it's own competitor in the same year.

People keep recommending Apple because it's like recommending it to a friend - you want to say what's best and what will work the most. You wouldn't tell someone to buy an Android that requires root and the exclusion of a front facing camera or Netflix because of it. This thread is evidence enough that it's just the wild west with Android and no one knows what the gently caress they want/are doing

Probably the truest post ever written in this forum. Until google has a brick and motor presence and releases devices from them first party, Android will never be able to match the quality and customer experience that iOS has.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Christ, seems like every time I drop in on this thread there is an iPad circle jerk going on. Why can't they stay in their own thread again? I can't remember.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Codiusprime posted:

Christ, seems like every time I drop in on this thread there is an iPad circle jerk going on. Why can't they stay in their own thread again? I can't remember.

There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework?

He's just trying to save you from having to do mad homework, yo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

He's just trying to save you from having to do mad homework, yo.

Aw well shucks. I sure appreciate it.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

got dat wmd posted:

Probably the truest post ever written in this forum. Until google has a brick and motor presence and releases devices from them first party, Android will never be able to match the quality and customer experience that iOS has.

Can Google keep manufacturers from using Android and make them themselves or is it too late to put the genie back in the bottle?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Codiusprime posted:

The thread title doesn't say non-iPad anymore, it's too tough to remember what the thread isn't about now. :downswords: about how hard Apple rules (not even the iPad, mind you, but Apple in general) sure is fun to read in the Android tablet thread.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Seriouslly, I thought there were rule changes to police the blatant trolling coming in from YOSPOS.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

eric posted:

Can Google keep manufacturers from using Android and make them themselves or is it too late to put the genie back in the bottle?

Why would they want to do that considering the huge success android has been for them .

Note I am merely talking about commercial success so hopefully this won't cause the mass controversy that asking for advice about android tablets in the android tablet thread seems to cause.

Theoretically they could stop giving developers new versions but since the stuff they have already released is open they can't stop them from using that. Of course if they did stop giving out updates eventually nobody would use it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Here comes another thread locking

I don't know why we even talk about other tablets anymore, it's just the inevitable cycle of: product gets announced, genuine discussion, criticism of why this isn't an ipad for whatever reason, product comes out, some people talk about it using it, everyone else comes in and points out that it's not an ipad therefore ___.

repeat and rinse.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

E2M2 posted:

Seriouslly, I thought there were rule changes to police the blatant trolling coming in from YOSPOS.

I'm not trolling, one of Android's faults is that the customer has no real comfortable place to go for support, other than returning an item back to the store they brought it from, possibly paying restocking fees. There really should be an Android store but not like anything from that concept place that was going around a few months ago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shorter Than Some posted:

No but neither is the iPad 3, they'l be out by the time it is.

I was referring to the common resolution of other phones at the time with 640x480, not the essentialy 3 year old resolution of the previous iPhone.

Phones weren't 640x480. They were generally 800x480/854x480 or 480x320, 4:3 phones were uncommon outside blackberries and those weren't 640x480 either.

And especially since you said 1024x768 to 2048x1536 is the same jump as 640x480 to 960x640 - it isn't, the first is 4x pixels, the second is 2x pixels.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 28, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

got dat wmd posted:

I'm not trolling, one of Android's faults is that the customer has no real comfortable place to go for support, other than returning an item back to the store they brought it from, possibly paying restocking fees. There really should be an Android store but not like anything from that concept place that was going around a few months ago.

Totally agree, but, there's so few phone manufacturers that produce anything beyond mobile devices. Sony's a good example, but I have no clue if they sold sony erricson handsets at the sony store. There's no chain of Motorola Mobility's or HTC Shacks or anything. Apple's in a unique position where it sells all sorts of hardware. If google was smart though, they'd establish a more customer friendly approach to support..but then again, it's a company you can't exactly call for tech support in the first place.

I'd think if they got more into first party branding, there could easily be a sony/apple style google store. If they offered a nexus style tablet, and a nexus style google TV setup, they could hawk that alongside nexus phones and chromebooks, not to mention any in store sales of subscription services they have.

They do still make most of their income from ad revenue though. Where I'd imagine it's the exact opposite for apple (software, percentages of distribution models, possibly hardware depending on their margins)

quote:

How does Google make money? What is driving Google's growth?

Today, the majority of our revenue comes from advertising.

From their investor FAQ

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Phones weren't 640x480. They were generally 800x480/854x480 or 480x320, 4:3 phones were uncommon outside blackberries and those weren't 640x480 either.

Sorry misremembered I still think the point stands.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

got dat wmd posted:

A google store would flop I think but a place to get face to face help for poo poo would be nice I guess. Maybe get close with Best Buy and pay them to use their Geeksquad dudes as an Apple Genius.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Well if their purchase of Motorola Mobility gets approved they have a 1st party base right there - they just need to set up actual stores/improve (or increase) the CS effectiveness etc.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
How would it work though?

Who should be responsible for supporting what you bought?

If i buy an HTC Sense phone with Android, am I buying an HTC Sense device or an Android device? It might be impossible for google to support a device where the hardware manufacturer just goes all willy nilly on android loving it up royally (see: a ton of samsung phones)

Is the onus on google now to fix what HTC or Samsung screwed up?

googling pushing aosp and ICS shows they get it at least, but I think the nature of how this all works (licensing vs in house manufacturing)..it's just not really cut and dry or feasible.

to get even deeper:

it's lovely that what makes android a viable platform with equal or greater marketshare to it's largest competitor is also its greatest weakness.

you don't even have to make up an example of why trying to take the apple approach to compete against them in the market is a horrible idea.

look at palm.

you could argue google had more resources then palm but so does microsoft and rim, and nokia, etc etc

if google didn't just license an os to as many companies as possible to saturate the market, the G1 would have been another palm pre.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 28, 2012

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Actually now that I think of it a google store would just make everyone on XDA mad because obviously hacked devices wouldn't be supported anyway.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

zer0spunk posted:

How would it work though?
It wouldn't. I'd be like having a Windows store.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
When you buy any product from Apple, you also get a free personal setup where they'll open the box with you in store, give you a tour, then do things like set up your email and set you up with an app store account so when you leave the device is personalized for you.

They also have free and paid classes in store where you can meet up with other people of the same skill level and learn more about what you just bought.

All of these things add so much to the actual brand and help the millions of people that AREN'T us who don't read/care about the latest nightly that will fix your keyboard lag but break everything else.

Or you know, stick to the tablet that has a SD card that doesn't sit flush with the device. Yeah, let's support that company - they really seem to give a poo poo.

E: I should clarify that I'm not trolling - I'm simply wondering how seemingly smart people do not get how hacked together these tablets are and how you can have the wool pulled over your eyes for that long. First it was "gingerbread at CES will change everything!" then it was "ICS at CES will change everything!"

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 28, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

When you buy any product from Apple, you also get a free personal setup where they'll open the box with you in store, give you a tour, then do things like set up your email and set you up with an app store account so when you leave the device is personalized for you.

They also have free and paid classes in store where you can meet up with other people of the same skill level and learn more about what you just bought.
Yeah, let's support that company - they really seem to give a poo poo.

You act as if Apple is the only company in the history of capitalism to be truly altruistic or something really naive like that.

They are a business just like any other business on this planet. Good customer relations = brand loyalty = sales. Getting people in stores for demos = sales. It's not complicated, it just makes good business sense.

Now if you told me steve jobs was personally callin' you on your birthday and singin' to you, then I'd be impressed. Doubly so lately.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

You act as if Apple is the only company in the history of capitalism to be truly altruistic or something really naive like that.

They are a business just like any other business on this planet. Good customer relations = brand loyalty = sales. Getting people in stores for demos = sales. It's not complicated, it just makes good business sense.

Now if you told me steve jobs was personally callin' you on your birthday and singin' to you, then I'd be impressed. Doubly so lately.

Of course they're doing it for business, I'm not retarded. What I'm saying is that they're hitting all the right notes as a company, but at the same time pleasing their customers. What Android tablet is doing that at the moment?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Appreciating excellent customer service from the most popular and well regarded manufacturer of consumer electronics is naive because they do it for marketing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

When you buy any product from Apple, :words:

This only happens if there's an Apple store nearby and you go there instead of buying from any other place they're sold.