Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

With all the talk of buying tablets to hack them up, I could see how someone might think that!

No one who actually reads the thread thinks that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

Codiusprime posted:

No one who actually reads the thread thinks that...

So the Apple trolls are in denial because:

-iOS doesn't support Flash
-iOS doesn't really support expansion or customization

And they're trying to make it seem like Android is *wrong* because their iOS products are better and don't need Flash, or expansion, or customization.

Cult-like traits. Making sense of things that don't make sense.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Eugene Jerome posted:

You don't need choices at all.

Choices are hard.

You don't need hard.

Now get in this all grey onsie.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Eugene Jerome posted:

So the Apple trolls are in denial because:

-iOS doesn't support Flash
-iOS doesn't really support expansion or customization

And they're trying to make it seem like Android is *wrong* because their iOS products are better and don't need Flash, or expansion, or customization.

Oh man, you totally got us. Looks like the gigs up, guys.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I don't really care about any of that, I don't care about the iPad, I don't care about what it can and can't do. If I did, I would go into the iPad thread to talk about it. I think we should be able to talk about Android tablets, even compare Android features to iOS features on occasion, with out having the thread get locked every time.

It's great you love your iPad/iOS/Apple, we don't give a poo poo.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

zer0spunk posted:

You don't need choices at all.

Choices are hard.

You don't need hard.

IT JUST WORKS!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Codiusprime posted:

It's great you love your iPad/iOS/Apple, we don't give a poo poo.

New thread title and/or OP.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It really feels like PS3 vs. Xbox trolling/thread making GBS threads. I'm not sure why it's ok here and not there. Surely the PS3 thread can use some more posts about how amazing Xbox Live is?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

It really feels like PS3 vs. Xbox trolling/thread making GBS threads. I'm not sure why it's ok here and not there. Surely the PS3 thread can use some more posts about how amazing Xbox Live is?

It's so good.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

zer0spunk posted:

Look at the post above yours. I really don't. All I'm trying to do is discuss the latest android tablet, in the android tablet thread. Oddly enough, this doesn't exist in the android phone thread. Go figure.

Android phones have a clear market with a lot of different options available. There are several top tier/flagship devices, and many of the devices don't need to be modified to work out of the box (if you don't count root). Compare it to this thread where at least 25% of the content (and possibly more in the previous incarnation) is about modifying devices to change their out of the box function, and the post content is going to be a lot different. Add to that the current state of the Android tablet market and everything gets a lot more defensive. People coming in and talking about the many QA issues they have with their Prime are met with "WELL MINE WORKED FIND OUT OF THE BOX DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU! THESE AREN'T TYPICAL PROBLEMS" like it was a personal attack on their device. People who say they don't see why they would need a dock on their tablet are told "WELL IT FITS MY NEEDS PERFECTLY MAYBE YOU AREN'T THE ONLY MARKET HUH?" like they'd gone beyond stating a personal preference and were trying to tell everyone else what they SHOULD like.

This doesn't happen in the Phone thread because people don't get defensive the second you bring up an iPhone. In fact, people don't get defensive the minute you bring up a failing in an Android phone. Because at this point, in this thread, criticism of Android tablets gets interpreted as support and advocacy of iPads. That doesn't happen in the phone thread, so it never devolves like this one. There is an 800 pound gorilla in the tablet world that almost always has to be discussed in one way or another in comparison to other tablets because it has such a dominant presence, both in market share and mind share. To act like it shouldn't ever be mentioned, or that mentioning it is immediate dismissal and criticism of Android is ridiculous.

Eugene Jerome posted:

I just saw your avatar - is Apple-loving like your gimmick or something?
A very mature Android user like yourself blessed me with this and I thank him every day, because it's awesome. It quickly and conveniently expresses to all others my membership in the Apple cult as well as my desire to have few choices, except in my numerous sex partners.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has this been talked about yet? I went back a few pages and didn't see it:

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/81151/Amazon-Lights-the-Android-World-on-Fire

Between November 2011 and January 2012, the Fire's share of the Android tablet market went from 4% to 36%, tying the galaxy tab and making it the #1 Android tablet.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

El Duke posted:

wall o' text

Well then, person to person, why do you personally feel the need to come into the android tablet thread all the time to constantly restate your opinions on androids flaws? Commission? brand loyalty? Some kind of duty to all tablet users of the world?

Please, feel free to word this in a 750 word essay.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

El Duke posted:

There is an 800 pound gorilla in the tablet world that almost always has to be discussed in one way or another in comparison to other tablets because it has such a dominant presence, both in market share and mind share. To act like it shouldn't ever be mentioned, or that mentioning it is immediate dismissal and criticism of Android is ridiculous.

I have no words.

Is Apple paying you to push their products? What provokes you to poo poo up the Android thread?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

zer0spunk posted:

Well then, person to person, why do you personally feel the need to come into the android tablet thread all the time to constantly restate your opinions on androids flaws? Commission? brand loyalty? Some kind of duty to all tablet users of the world?

Please, feel free to word this in a 750 word essay.

click the ?, see how many flaws I constantly talk about in the thread. That goes for you, too, Eugene, to see how I've been "making GBS threads up" the thread.

Eugene Jerome posted:

I have no words.
you could try "faggots" again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some thoughts after coming back to a couple hundred unread posts and a handful of reports:
  • I'm proud of (most of) you guys for remaining civil. It was a long, tedious, and annoying derail that didn't need to happen, but you kept it (mostly) clean.

• Android guys: don't panic whenever anything Apple is mentioned. The comparison is often warranted and can lead to civil conversation. Most of you have no problem with that though. Good job. With that said, you folks have had to put up with way too much Apple chat lately, which brings me to my next point:

• YOSPOS guys: give it a rest. We know it's hilarious that someone is trying to turn a $75 e-reader into a usable tablet. We know that it's hilarious that someone's newly-purchased tablet isn't working as intended out of the box. We know that it's hilarious that most Android OEMs don't know what the gently caress they're doing. That's why we have a thread right here on SA with over 35,000 posts laughing at Android and some of its more ridiculous users.

It's not outright trolling, but lately you're trying way too often to bait Android posters into melting down. We've avoided punishing you too much because your arguments are all fact-based, but it's just become tedious and frustrates people who support Android. I'm not trying to turn this into a pro-Android echo chamber, but just stop baiting the Android fans into flipping their poo poo. Most of the zealots are gone and now it's just getting old.

Please keep the mockery (of Android please, it's not Helldump) in YOSPOS where it belongs and let IYG actually talk about Android tablets, especially the new and exciting stuff. I'd like to turn IYG into a positive resource for the Android community so people who want to discuss the platform rationally don't have to rely on cesspools like XDA.
Speaking of YOSPOS, everyone should feel free to read and contribute in there. I know that you guys think it's a pro-Apple forum (how did that happen?), but we hate on all technology lifestyles. Also, the pro-Android camp's been pretty quiet since fishmech got trained to Coupons and Janin lost his job at Google.

Lastly, I know the thread is called the "Android laugh factory", but there actually is more discussion of Android devices and such going on over there than in IYG. Shocking, I know. You might get the same sort of browbeating that you've been experiencing in here lately, but I try to make sure that we're accepting of all kinds in YOSPOS. If you can look at technology dispassionately (and that really is the key), it's a lot of fun in there.

As always, feel free to shoot myself or 900ftjesus a PM if you have any thoughts, ideas, or criticism of how to best serve Android discussion or IYG in general. I'll leave this closed until some time tomorrow morning so everyone can get an opportunity to read it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm really confused at the Acer A200's positioning. The screen looks nice, they bumped it from 1GHZ to 1.2GHZ, the back is a nice leathery vinyl texture, and there's a promise of ICS in February.

On the other hand, it has a 2MP webcam and no camera otherwise. Is the market starting to move away from rear cameras on tablets?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Well, I imagine that trying to take pictures with a 10" tablet might be a little unwieldy and silly looking.

Maybe some companies plan on sticking the higher res cameras with the 7" and under tablets.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Matlock posted:

I'm really confused at the Acer A200's positioning. The screen looks nice, they bumped it from 1GHZ to 1.2GHZ, the back is a nice leathery vinyl texture, and there's a promise of ICS in February.

On the other hand, it has a 2MP webcam and no camera otherwise. Is the market starting to move away from rear cameras on tablets?

My Transformer has a decent enough rear camera but frankly I've no use for it at that size. I took a couple pictures with it for the novelty of it all but that's it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Matlock posted:

Personally I'd rather they in put better front facing cameras.

Note the general "they", as I mean every tablet manufacturer.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Agh, Amazon lightening deal was a Galaxy Tab 8.9 for 399. I decided to buy it like two seconds to late :(

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Rumor mill says Samsung will announce a 11.6 inch Galaxy Tab at MWC next month

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Codiusprime posted:

Agh, Amazon lightening deal was a Galaxy Tab 8.9 for 399. I decided to buy it like two seconds to late :(

Wait, how exactly is that a good deal? An original TF is $400 - are you in love with the smaller form factor or something?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Wait, how exactly is that a good deal? An original TF is $400 - are you in love with the smaller form factor or something?

Yea I was looking at that, I really do just like that size. Though now that I have the OK I might just order one of those.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's....odd.

I'm really trying to figure out what the extra inch of screen real estate is really going to give someone.

That just must be the smallest that they can produce a 2560×1600 panel.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

That's....odd.

I'm really trying to figure out what the extra inch of screen real estate is really going to give someone.

Its Samsung, they have a 5.3", 7", 7.7", 8.9", and a 10.1" tablet. ANOTHER screen size shouldn't be very surprising.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Install Gentoo posted:

My Transformer has a decent enough rear camera but frankly I've no use for it at that size. I took a couple pictures with it for the novelty of it all but that's it.

The rear camera would be nice for taking video (like home movies) if there was a single good Android app for editing video. The transformer comes with an app but it's the biggest shitpile I've ever used.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Macys posted:

Well, I imagine that trying to take pictures with a 10" tablet might be a little unwieldy and silly looking.
I spotted this guy taking photos of his daughter's xmas recital. I thought he looked like a huge idiot.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I spotted this guy taking photos of his daughter's xmas recital. I thought he looked like a huge idiot.

Yea he totally does.

"Hey hey look at me hey hey I have a tablet look at me hey hey.":smug:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Its Samsung, they have a 5.3", 7", 7.7", 8.9", and a 10.1" tablet. ANOTHER screen size shouldn't be very surprising.
That's (A), and

bull3964 posted:

That's (B), most likely.

Maybe with their hounding by Apple in the courts Samsung is considering dropping the 10.1" size? But since they're Samsung, probably not.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Rastor posted:

That's (A), and

That's (B), most likely.

Maybe with their hounding by Apple in the courts Samsung is considering dropping the 10.1" size? But since they're Samsung, probably not.

Why would they drop the 10.1" because of the Apple stuff. It's not like the iPad is 10.1".

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Not exactly, but that's the closest of their product options.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Syrinxx posted:

Still it's hard to hate the guy for wanting to record his daughter's dance recital.

I've been giving it to directors with this, or using this to show people under me where they need to build diffusion frames in relation to the sun. I don't mind handing someone a bigger screen for these tasks. It's hard to say no one uses the rear camera at all for anything properly. I'd miss it if they cut them.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

People used to look like idiots waving cameraphones around, too.

The future is: Your dad taking photos of the dog holding a large tablet with a special case to mount DSLR lenses to.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Coffee Quack posted:

The future is: Your dad taking photos of the dog holding a large tablet with a special case to mount DSLR lenses to.

Exclusive to ios so far :\

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

zer0spunk posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress if I saw someone with a lens like that connected to their phone (Apple or otherwise) I would seriously consider kicking them in the balls and throwing that poo poo on the ground. If you're carrying a lens like that around you should have a decent camera to attach it to.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The sad thing is crap like that dominated videography for a good 3 years until DSLRS finally brought cheap interchangeable glass camera systems to low budget film makers. There is nothing good about shooting a lens through another lens. Dark time in my career.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Matlock posted:

Have you looked at the pricing? Here the 16gb wifi only iPad, Tab 10.1 and A500 are all $799 and the original Transformer and plastic Toshiba are $699. The A200 is $449 - basically a pricing breakthrough for a real Android tablet.

As for the back camera I have an A500 and can say I've never used it. Even if the camera was good which it isn't really the form factor is too awkward. Would just use my phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Syrinxx posted:

Admit it, you took that picture using your tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

:psyduck:

I can't even begin to comprehend the thought process that went into this. That mounting can't possibly support any of the weight of that lens at all. It looks like the thing would be constantly pulling down all of the time, even if you tried to keep it level with your hand.