Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Pakled posted:

Finally, a realistic scenario.

"And then, Dear Leader Kim Jong-Il wove a brilliant tapestry recalling the history of the Korean people, from their humble beginnings, to their great kingdoms of yore, to their present sorrows, divided and oppressed by the American imperialists. Our people were so overjoyed, they had reduced revolt risk for 20 years."

The game crashed immediately after I conquered South Korea (had to build a bunch of halberdier boats) so I don't even know if I got to unite Korea under the enlightened rule of Kim Jong-Il

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

yermato posted:

If some sort of Steppe wolf LP thing is actually going to happen in this thread or elsewhere, I would like to humbly request to participate. I actually managed to download a version that runs relatively well on my pc a few months ago, though it seems to be a bit different from the one Wiz played. I even did a little aar on the paradox forums playing the Vikings, though I stopped updating it because I got bored with it (some scenarios literally have nothing happen in them, see all the ones with the Roman Empire, for instance). It's worth noting that the author of the mod also did an aar of his own mod, playing as... well, that might not be too difficult to guess. It was pretty hilarious, too.

e; the aar contained such events as

ABORT, ABORT! THE POPE'S GONE ROGUE I REPEAT, THE POPE HAS GONE ROGUE!

Fire the Cardinal-seeking missiles.

DICKHEAD posted:

It is. The mod is loving pile.

Also...

Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung both have insane states btw. like 9-8-9 or something

Okay, that made me laugh out loud.

Is Kim Jong-Un in as a successor to Kim Jong Il? What are his stats? I must know.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Is it bad that I find "American Rome" more problematic than I find your not having sight of Hungary?

I was going to mention that it was odd that a large chunk of the Balkans had not yet been discovered by Germany in the 1940's.

This mod is great. American Rome is just so random - I'm going to guess that if the United States conquers parts of Europe, it becomes 'American Rome'. Because 'American Europe' would just be a regular kind of lame, and whoever created SteppeWolf saw it as his duty to go for maximum absurdity.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

yermato posted:

Also, since Steppe Wolf goes all the way to 2100, naturally it includes World War 2 scenarios as well. However, they're not quite as polished as they could be.

Note how the legitimacy score is still there. The third reich is quite literally a kingdom, and you'll get an event informing you of the birth of hitler's successor after a few years of playing.

Monaco certainly aren't doing too badly.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

George W. Bush obeys Ron Paul's wisdom

also no clue if they fixed it in a recent version (this was from months ago) but Laredo starts owned by Mexico for some reason?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
"French Europe"

How does that even happen? Capital shift to somewhere in North Africa?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

What are the stats of George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Kim Jong-Un?

I don't care what anyone says. This game is THE BEST. I demand a Let's Play of it. Judea from 11 AD to 2011.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Also the USSR reformed into Russia between '42 and the end of the war.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

yermato posted:

Also, since Steppe Wolf goes all the way to 2100, naturally it includes World War 2 scenarios as well. However, they're not quite as polished as they could be.

Note how the legitimacy score is still there. The third reich is quite literally a kingdom, and you'll get an event informing you of the birth of hitler's successor after a few years of playing.

How does this even make sense.

The Eastern Front is laid bare!

A Dolch in the back from our erstwhile Bulgarian allies!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

George W. Bush obeys Ron Paul's wisdom

It's not all bad. At least they're using the proceeds from their CoT in Midway Island to build University.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tsaedje posted:

"French Europe"

How does that even happen? Capital shift to somewhere in North Africa?

They're probably trying to model Free France/Vichy France, but somehow neglected to make Vichy France independent.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
And you all thought HoI3 modeled WWII badly :colbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dibujante posted:

How does this even make sense.

The Eastern Front is laid bare!

A Dolch in the back from our erstwhile Bulgarian allies!

This...is a very good point. The Soviets could just walk east and probably be at Danzig or so before the Nazi armies even hit them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I like how Nazi Germany's closest allies are microstates (and Hungary). Surely, the invincible Sammarinese-German alliance will keep the Soviets at bay!

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 30, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

I like how Nazi Germany's closest allies are microstates (and Hungary). The invincible Sammarinese-German alliance will keep the Soviets at bay!

Also, Belgium is apparently fairly relaxed about being conquered. Took over our core territory and forced our government into exile? lol whatevs

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So I'm kinda curious. Given that the EU3 system gave units stats from about 1-11 or so in each category to model their increased powers and so on, how does this game deal with the range of military power available to units throughout two thousand years of history? Do modern units just get something silly like 263 offensive shock or something?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

So I'm kinda curious. Given that the EU3 system gave units stats from about 1-11 or so in each category to model their increased powers and so on, how does this game deal with the range of military power available to units throughout two thousand years of history? Do modern units just get something silly like 263 offensive shock or something?

Did you know that Roman Ballista are artillery? And that there are no groups when it comes to military units? Have you ever wanted to subjugate all of Peru with Roman ballistas in 15 AD? STEPPE WOLFE.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Is EU3WizMod released at the end of EU3 or at the end of the LP?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Guys, I can't decide, what country should I be :saddowns:?

Also, I just learned that religious tolerant is not in the same religious group as Zoroastrian, so my relations with Religious Tolerant Germany go down every month. They're just jealous because I can crusade!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

wukkar posted:

Is EU3WizMod released at the end of EU3 or at the end of the LP?

Supposedly, he releases after the "Epilogue" chapter of EU3 but before Vicky. So...tomorrow?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Steppe Wolf is glorious. I would love anyone who makes an update or LP about it.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Who the heck owns the purple islands in the south pacific?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

i81icu812 posted:

Who the heck owns the purple islands in the south pacific?
Pirates, I think.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Talas posted:

Pirates, I think.

Pirate Hunters. I'm...assuming they won't stay in.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Patter Song posted:

Pirate Hunters. I'm...assuming they won't stay in.

I see no reason why they wouldn't.

yermato
Feb 20, 2011
I just played a game from 1953 to 1971 as Bulgaria. It was... indescribable. I now have about 200 screenshots to sort through and edit, but I'd love to post this. I think my savegame is corrupted now though, my game crashed and now it doesn't respond when I try to load the save, and the previous one is from 9 years earlier. I'll try to recover it as best I can.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The thing I find most hilarious about the WW2 STEPPE WOLFE screenshot up there is that the entirety of Germany's Barbarossa campaign, an invasion that has cost the lives of millions and scarred the landscape of Eastern Europe for years to come, is resolved with Germany conceding defeat.
"Yeah ok you guys won. We still keep all our land though ok see you in five years"

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Oh no, what happened to Mann? What have those fascist Britains done to Mannkind? :ohdear:

Also south-east Asia is like the Caribbean with every European country with two ships and a rifle staking claims. It'll be interesting to see how that situation develops with a unified Japanese Republic and a powerful Chinese Empire nearby.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
Sorry I'm late to the game, but Wiz, why did you decide to hand Karelia etc to Finland? I was actually surprised at the AI's ability to demand pretty borders from that peace.

Also, someone should totally LP SuperPower2. And by that, I mean start as China, get the economy set up to bloom, and then set_speed 1000 and wait until you are 99.999999999999999% of the population of Earth, because that's just how population growth WORKS mother fucker.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Sorry if the Steppe wolf derail is getting old, but I decided to see how the greatest EU3 mod would handle one of the bloodiest and costly wars in US history, the American Civil--

...never mind. War doesn't even last a year, we both have nothing but level 1 forts so our tech level 200 soldiers instantly assault forts (I abuse the poo poo out of this, America waits a month attacking a level 1 fort with 50+ units while I take Washington and Baltimore). The Civil War ends with minor territorial concession from the USA. I convert to Anglicanism to thank my British allies/solidify the relationship, and found a republican dictatorship. FUN FACT: apparently the mod's creator removed whatever was preventing you from changing government when you're at -3 stability, so once I changed from a Republic to a Constitutional Monarchy, I saw that I was at -2 stability, but figured I'd go for broke, take the 1 more stability hit and bounce around until I got to a republican dictatorship. Best mod ever.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I. I am tempted to play STEPPE WOLF from 1 AD and work on conquering the entire planet as Bulgaria. And settlement policying until EVERY PROVINCE is Bulgarian.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Veloxyll posted:

I. I am tempted to play STEPPE WOLF from 1 AD and work on conquering the entire planet as Bulgaria. And settlement policying until EVERY PROVINCE is Bulgarian.

In all seriousness, you really don't need to do that much settlement policying. As Servant is fond of pointing out, most (but not all) of the game's religions are annex=yes, which means that culture-conversion happens automatically with religious conversion.

Also, if you're going to be the Bulgars, start at 680 AD, for maximum Old Great Bulgaria.

Edit:

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 30, 2012

waiwut
Jan 30, 2012
You should do it. I started a game as Parthia once in 11 AD and the countries on the Eastern border would routinely take a stack of 3-4 horse units against my 14 stack of units and take out 1000 troops at once. It was ridiculous.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To be fair, it's an extremely ambitious mod, and with EU3 already being quite flawed to begin with, it's only natural that the mod would not fully live up to its attempts.

Of course, it also does everything the exact wrong way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Patter Song posted:

In all seriousness, you really don't need to do that much settlement policying. As Servant is fond of pointing out, most (but not all) of the game's religions are annex=yes, which means that culture-conversion happens automatically with religious conversion.

Also, if you're going to be the Bulgars, start at 680 AD, for maximum Old Great Bulgaria.

Edit:

Right so I get that Bulgaria has existed with near modern borders for over 1000 years, but what is Volga Bulgaria up in Russia?

e: Also Vikings.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

Right so I get that Bulgaria has existed with near modern borders for over 1000 years, but what is Volga Bulgaria up in Russia?

e: Also Vikings.

The Bulgars originally came from the Volga region: some migrated down to present-day Bulgaria and conquered it away from the Byzantines in the 6th-7th century and converted to Orthodoxy, some stayed by the Volga, went Sunni and were eventually conquered by the Golden Horde.

Both get the "As a Bulgarian state, we gain several bonuses" thing.

The final foes in any good Bulgarian game are...the other Bulgarians.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 30, 2012

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I will not conquer or vassalise any Bulgaria until the entire rest of the world is bulgarian

I may stream it tomorrow >.>

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
I loaded up a game of SteppeWolf as the US during the Vietnam war. These are the things I notice before I even unpause the game:

-We can become defender of the religious tolerance faith.
-The US can form Great Britain
-The mission I have is to create a fleet.
-All of my soldiers are from the Napoleonic era. Apparently the US didn't modernize until the Eisenhower administration.
-Moving my slider towards Centralization (it was only halfway there) causes 4 rebels to pop up in Atlantic City, and another group to pop up in Micronesia. I move my stack of 104 units to Atlantic City and they are wiped out.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Also, why not just call the USA the USA? I mean, poo poo, it's the USA. It rebelled at around the same time, from the same power.

I know this is from a few pages back, before the SteppeWolf stuff, but Wiz I'm going to ask you not to do this, and keep it named Missouri. In fact, I'm pretending that the George Washington of this timeline is Thomas Hart Benton, just because.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Coolodile posted:

I loaded up a game of SteppeWolf as the US during the Vietnam war. These are the things I notice before I even unpause the game:

-We can become defender of the religious tolerance faith.
-The US can form Great Britain
-The mission I have is to create a fleet.
-All of my soldiers are from the Napoleonic era. Apparently the US didn't modernize until the Eisenhower administration.
-Moving my slider towards Centralization (it was only halfway there) causes 4 rebels to pop up in Atlantic City, and another group to pop up in Micronesia. I move my stack of 104 units to Atlantic City and they are wiped out.

I know this is from a few pages back, before the SteppeWolf stuff, but Wiz I'm going to ask you not to do this, and keep it named Missouri. In fact, I'm pretending that the George Washington of this timeline is Thomas Hart Benton, just because.

You know, I was tempted to do a screenshot post of setup tonight then stream tomorrow. But now. Now I'm keeping all this insanity for real time interaction. We'll all go through the madhouse TOGETHER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I feel bad for this STEPPE WOLF guy now. Maybe we should all collaborate to fix the mod and send it to him. :ohdear:

• Locked thread