Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

NINbuntu 64 posted:

:psyduck:

I can't even begin to comprehend the thought process that went into this. That mounting can't possibly support any of the weight of that lens at all. It looks like the thing would be constantly pulling down all of the time, even if you tried to keep it level with your hand.

You could just hold the lens. Like the hand in the picture.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, it's a horrible idea.

48 Hour Boner fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Or you could not be a giant tool. That's a thought too.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I could totally see making something like that to gently caress around with if you're into photography proper and wanted to do something a bit different but as an actual case for an average person it's just sad

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
The little thing for the iPhone that comes with a fisheye and macro lens is pretty great, though. It just snaps on the side. Things like that don't really seem to exist for Androids because they all seem to mostly center-mount the camera. Manufacturers should take a hint and position the camera in a corner so there could be little accessories like that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Coffee Quack posted:

I could totally see making something like that to gently caress around with if you're into photography proper and wanted to do something a bit different but as an actual case for an average person it's just sad

That thing costs 250 bucks. It also only comes in one mount so you'd have to buy 2 if you use canon and nikon glass.

Some more math: decent canon lens, 1200 or so, iphone4s, another 200. so all and all, you're out 1600 to add shallow dof to your cellphone pictures

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 30, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

got dat wmd posted:

The little thing for the iPhone that comes with a fisheye and macro lens is pretty great, though. It just snaps on the side. Things like that don't really seem to exist for Androids because they all seem to mostly center-mount the camera. Manufacturers should take a hint and position the camera in a corner so there could be little accessories like that.

Those rule. There is a macro lens for Android phones that's on a big rubber band that looks really cool and there is also some crazy 360° camera lens thing coming out for the Nexus. Those are like the only two and one is relatively new and one isn't even out yet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

got dat wmd posted:

I don't think it has much to do with camera position as much as it has to do with the fact that a new Android device is out and EOL'ed every 37 seconds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

Things like that don't really seem to exist for Androids because they all seem to mostly center-mount the camera. Manufacturers should take a hint and position the camera in a corner so there could be little accessories like that.
It's not that. (Or not just that, anyway.) It's that manufacturers have no idea which devices will be popular enough to support them making accessories for them - especially not niche accessories like camera lenses. It doesn't help that Android OEMs release different devices (or, more importantly, same devices with different case designs) in different regions and different carriers.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Internaut! posted:

To me, a device with only half the advertised battery life isn't really "working right out the box", but to each their own.

Rastor posted:

I assumed he meant that it now had greater than advertised battery life.
Yes, thank you; when I first got it I could get about 24 to 30 hours out of it with the kids using it. Now I get about 48 hours out of it. I use it check email, login remotely to my servers, and use Google Reader. In the evenings I watch Netflix for an hour or so. My kids use it to play every damned game they can find; currently little Empire, Where's my Water, and Princess Punt.

Also, got my keyboard last week on Friday but haven't had much of a chance to learn it's pro's and con's other than it sure beats pecking away at the on-screen keyboard when typing here.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
If I connect a USB Mass Storage Drive to my Xoom WiFi via a USB Female-Female adapter, will the OS actually recognize it? Or will I need an additional app for it? Or will it outright not work?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Those rule. There is a macro lens for Android phones that's on a big rubber band that looks really cool and there is also some crazy 360° camera lens thing coming out for the Nexus. Those are like the only two and one is relatively new and one isn't even out yet.

The macro one is great. I thought the Nexus 360 degree lens already came out though? I seem to recall them getting their startup money on Kickstarter forever and a day ago.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

NINbuntu 64 posted:

The macro one is great. I thought the Nexus 360 degree lens already came out though? I seem to recall them getting their startup money on Kickstarter forever and a day ago.

I really want to pick up the macro lens. They may have, I thought I saw something with them at CES but sometimes I dream things. Either way its not nearly as simple or portable as the macro lens and it doesn't seem like I would carry it around.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Codiusprime posted:

my phone can take pictures of things like 3 inches in front of it with a stupid shallow dof or is that not considered macro?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Why are we talking about phones again?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Um, they're not phones, they're tablets someone put through the dryer.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is there a way to easily discern if an app is optimized for tablet?

I just got a Transformer Prime with dock today and was surprised at how many of my phone apps were tablet optimized, not just stretched/zoomed. However, when I'm looking at apps in the market I can't tell if there's an optimized version easily, even when reading the full descriptions. I know I could just try it out but with paid apps it would be a hassle to keep requesting refunds.

As a side note I typed this post using the dock and I think I'm in love.

Edit: Are there any gestures the dock trackpad supports, other than two finger scrolling?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mister Snips posted:

my phone can take pictures of things like 3 inches in front of it with a stupid shallow dof or is that not considered macro?

being too close to something so it's half out of focus isn't macro photography. 1:1 scale reproduction in the lens is macro, what you're describing is just you sucking at taking pictures

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Are there any gestures the dock trackpad supports, other than two finger scrolling?

if you root you can use browser + which adds gesture support. i've got mine set up like my magic mouse, 2 finger swipe left for back a page, right for forward a page.

i still can't get used to the trackpad, macbooks made me trackpad snobby.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 31, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there a way to easily discern if an app is optimized for tablet?
Sadly, there's no distinction in the Market. Google seems to believe they can rally developers to make every app adapt to every device size/type.

I did post this back before the YOSPOS invasion:

Rastor posted:

Directories / sources of tablet-optimized apps on Android:

Android Market featured apps for tablets

tablified.com

Android Police weekly best new apps roundup (they often do an edition focused on tablet apps)

And several user-edited lists/indexes from the various Android forums:
transformerforums.com
androidtablets.net
androidcentral.com
androidforums.com

I hereby grant permission to add this info to the OP.

quote:

Edit: Are there any gestures the dock trackpad supports, other than two finger scrolling?
If you double tap it will act like you are holding your finger at the cursor position; from there you can do any one-finger gesture such as you would do on the screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

If I connect a USB Mass Storage Drive to my Xoom WiFi via a USB Female-Female adapter, will the OS actually recognize it? Or will I need an additional app for it? Or will it outright not work?

You need an OTG cable. Just a female to female adapter won't do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Amazon has gotten better about labeling those kinds of cables on their website.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+otg&x=0&y=0

I THINK once you have that, drives will be recognized automatically (I'm not 100% sure though.) I do know it will allow for transfer of photos or attaching USB devices like mice, keyboards, or game controllers.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Holy poo poo, so I finally bought Splashtop HD since it's on sale for $6.99 (reg. $9.99) and it's works amazingly well. It's pretty much like having a Windows 7 tablet. Plus the Windows app makes it so easy to configure, just sign into your Google account and the app finds your PC, no having to worry about IP addresses. Even the video/audio streaming works great!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Co-worker brought in his Galaxy Tab and asked if I'd look at it.

When he tries to boot normally it just sits at the Samsung logo and does nothing further.

When I boot it into recovery mode and try to do a wipe data/factory reset or a wipe cache partition I get the following errors and nothing happens.

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Formatting /dbdata...
Formatting/cache...
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
Data wipe failed.
E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/recovery_kernel_log
E:copy_kernel_file :: Can't open /cache/recovery/recovery_kernel_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? He says he didn't do anything unusual to it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Remember the $99 HP tablet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ym7NUOGyEs

I should have bought one.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
My Nook Color no longer satisfies my tablet needs. I am having to try really hard to not order a used Tegra 2 tablet off of eBay to hold me over until the 7 inch Asus comes out.

Must...resist...urge.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

McLarenF1 posted:

Holy poo poo, so I finally bought Splashtop HD since it's on sale for $6.99 (reg. $9.99) and it's works amazingly well. It's pretty much like having a Windows 7 tablet. Plus the Windows app makes it so easy to configure, just sign into your Google account and the app finds your PC, no having to worry about IP addresses. Even the video/audio streaming works great!

Splashtop is amazing, but fair warning: it's not exactly secure. None of the data being sent over the Splashtop connection is encrypted. If you're not using it on your home network, the best use case for it is to run over a VPN or over an SSH tunnel.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IT Guy posted:

Yup, it's in decent shape right now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Viewsonic Viewpad 10s is $235 today on Tiger Direct via eBay. There are at least a couple HC ROMs for this and maybe some ICS work in the pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewSonic-10%22-WiFi-Internet-Tablet/320840004836

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Syrinxx posted:

Viewsonic Viewpad 10s is $235 today on Tiger Direct via eBay. There are at least a couple HC ROMs for this and maybe some ICS work in the pipe.

Arn't these the ones with the absolute horrible screens?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I was just looking at eBay for a used tablet, just spend the extra 80 bucks and get a used Transformer. Those things are giant pieces if I remember.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Don Lapre posted:

That is the gTablet but I'm sure he 10s is terrible too

e: looking it up online it has looks to have the same horrible screen. Seriously, if you haven't seen one of these inperson before it looks like a laptop screen from 1994

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 31, 2012

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My 8.9" Tab came in yesterday and I played with it for a couple hours last night. It performs evenly with my Xoom but the weight and size make it so much better to use. I'm pretty sure the Xoom will be going up for sale very shortly since the Tab does everything I need it to. I like the stock Honeycomb over Samsung's touchwiz or whatever they use but it's not horrible. It's just amazing how light this thing is compared to the Xoom.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Don Lapre posted:

No clue just thought I'd mention it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Anyone have any feedback on the HTC Flyer? I can get them super cheap through work and they have an official HC Rom out now.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

Anyone have any feedback on the HTC Flyer? I can get them super cheap through work and they have an official HC Rom out now.

I had one for a couple months and it was fantastic for a 7" tablet. Very little lag, awesome screen, good build quality. I ended up trading it for a 10" tablet, but I'd have no problems recommending it to friends.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

IT Guy posted:

I bought a 16GB for $99 and 32GB for $149 during the firesale. I sold the 16GB for $220 which netted me the 32GB for about $30. It's now a nicely speced ICS tablet with good developer support. It's far and away the best tech purchase I've ever made, and I'd probably feel the same way even if my full cost was $99/149.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Peppersmith posted:

I had one for a couple months and it was fantastic for a 7" tablet. Very little lag, awesome screen, good build quality. I ended up trading it for a 10" tablet, but I'd have no problems recommending it to friends.

My experience wasn't as good. I found the pen interface to be lacking, but that may have been corrected in the ICS update. Give it a try first.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 31, 2012

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Does anyone know how to perform a right click on the Transformer Prime dock? There's an option for right click action in the settings so I assume it's possible, I just can't seem to figure out how.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Also, sorry to double post but is there a browser that has a bookmark bar? I've tried 4-5 different browsers but can't seem to find one with it, unless I missed a setting somewhere.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a Transformer running 3.2.1. Earlier today I received a notification that there was a system update available, but since I was working with my tablet I decided to wait until I got home from work to update. Now that I'm home the update notification is gone and I can't seem to get it back; I checked for updates using the Settings menu and I even rebooted the tablet to see if it would pop up. Did I gently caress myself out of ICS or something?

VV Tried that. Twice. But if the notification is gone maybe it installed automatically?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 1, 2012

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

C-Euro posted:

I have a Transformer running 3.2.1. Earlier today I received a notification that there was a system update available, but since I was working with my tablet I decided to wait until I got home from work to update. Now that I'm home the update notification is gone and I can't seem to get it back; I checked for updates using the Settings menu and I even rebooted the tablet to see if it would pop up. Did I gently caress myself out of ICS or something?

Settings>About Tablet>Update

ICS isn't up from Asus for the tf101 yet. Build 21 of android 3.2.1 is the newest officially available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Does anyone have an Acer Iconia A100? Was seriously considering a Kindle Fire, but the A100 is only $50 more currently.