Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Apparently 12 years olds have switched from COD to KF? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I miss the days when people would play this game to shoot stuff. Now every server has a griefer or troll. Why didnt you just find a new server to play with good people than waste your time with them?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Normally that's exactly what happens. It doesn't even phase me anymore when people are griefing others or blocking the trader or whatever, I immediately drop out and find another server. The only reason I went through all this is because I saw the same 2 dorks starting another round on that map and had foreknowledge of their douchebaggery so I already knew that they 'deserved' to be trolled. Other times when people are playing like poo poo I just assume they're new and don't pay it any mind.

"Did you ever troll anyone?"
"Ya but they were all bad."

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Hospital Horrors, that spawn where they fall from the sky at the entrance is loving bullshit, nearly had it today with some bros but at wave 10, initial zed falling from the loving sky, what else could it be but 2 sirens, a scrake and a fleshpound, oh and one of the sirens was bouncing on the fleshpounds head.

On the bright side we did suicidal filth's cross right after and to my surprise we did it, it was awesome.

So, anyone else find the new weapons underwhelming? I love the MP5 but everything else kinda sucks, the M4 is more of a sidegrade, the M4 with launcher just sucks, the recoil is to vicious for demos to hit poo poo with it, the revolvers barely seem stronger than the handcannons, the husk cannon is awesome but no thrower, the claymore just blows, its barely stronger than the drat axe and you can't carry the LAR if you have it.

Oh and the combat shotty runs out of bullets way to drat fast.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Has anyone been playing on the Goon servers lately? Every time I check them, it's always 0/6 in game....

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alteisen posted:

the husk cannon is awesome but no thrower,

Don't forget the husk cannon doesn't count for fire damage!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bbcisdabomb posted:

Don't forget the husk cannon doesn't count for fire damage!

:stare:

You're pulling my leg right? Tripwire wouldn't give a class specific weapon that doesn't actually let you level up that class.

Right?

I used the M4 a ton last night but it still feels like a sidegrade, I will say this though, the nearly endless amount of ammo is a god-send and I love it, works perfect for mopping up trash zeds and its accurate enough when set to full auto to kill a husk fast.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS

suboptimal posted:

Has anyone been playing on the Goon servers lately? Every time I check them, it's always 0/6 in game....

Every time I've tried to connect to any of them I get an engine mismatch error. Except for Best Friend City, which I can't say anything about, what with not having the password.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alteisen posted:

You're pulling my leg right? Tripwire wouldn't give a class specific weapon that doesn't actually let you level up that class.

Right?
You act like this has never happened before. See also: Dual HCs when the game first came out that didn't count headshots for Sharpshooter but counted damage for shotguns for support.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alteisen posted:

Right?

I wish I was joking. I play most of my games on LAN and our resident Firebug eventually stopped using it in less than a night. It was really helpful in the bigger waves and can really tear poo poo up, but when the firebug is level 2. . . :negative:

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

suboptimal posted:

I try to hang out in the Goons on the Killing Floor steam group chat to catch a game; so far unsuccessful.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
The combat shotty is basically a pump shotty/aa12 combined, making something not quite as good as either. The clip is too small, reload takes an eternity and its expensive as hell. Which is a shame because it looks awesome and the sight is pretty good (as much as one can be on a shotgun). I like the magnum too but its certainly no handcannon replacement.

I think all the new weapons are fun to use, and are good for playing around with on lower difficulties when you arent really trying but they cant be relied on in a game you want to do well in. None of them see much use in suicidal and HoE thats for sure, barring one or two like the MP5.

In other news:

:dance:

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Pumpking posted:

In other news:

How do you get that scrolling text of zed kills? I'd love to have that when I play.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its a server mod, I dont know what its called though, sorry.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Agreed. A buddy has it on his KF server (he says it's called Kill Messages) and it's really helpful for getting a sense of how well you're doing with classes like Demo. Wish it became an official part of the game or at least more common in the general servers. Also congrats on lv6 Commando, you are now a killing machine, lord over all that you see except Scrakes and FPs, still just run away from those. Now perfect the art of popping heads with one or two rounds then just let them stumble around and die, really helps with ammo conservation, which is a big factor in late HoE waves.

When one of your friends comes up to you and is all like "so I hear you're playing this new Killing Floor game what's it like what is it all about?" you can show them this picture

and tell them This is Killing Floor Bitches.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Takes No Damage posted:

Nazis, steampunk, chicken suits, santa, steampunk, chavs, gas masks, and loads of STEAMPUNK. All feathered over with British accents.
My friends first game of KF, my friend asked me why someone in a chicken suit was healing someone dressed up like a nazi.
Endgame action poses are just one of those things. :allears: I will never not love this game.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
The first Hard goon server gives me some sort of 'engine failed' error message and Best Friend City asks for a password that isn't listed on the front page.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If normal is not enough of a challenge then I can go ahead and set Goons to Hard.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

suboptimal posted:

Same here but for me it might be because I'm on GMT and the server tends to be at its busiest on evenings and weekends in US timezones.

(on that note, if anyone is up for a game now, I'm probably going to be dicking around by myself later tonight)

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Come on goons let's play on GOTKF!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

dbzfandiego posted:

Come on goons let's play on GOTKF!

Good idea. I'll be there in about 5 minutes. Need to prepare a drink.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I was just on with a couple of friends right after the switch to hard was announced in the group and we waited but no other goons joined in. I'll definitely pop in though!

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

So I've uninstalled this game long ago but new content and boredom has me thinking of playing again. Will I have to relevel all my classes?

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Certainly not. Not unless you specifically went into an .ini file and reset the stats steam tracks.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Well this is a new install of the OS and everything so I meant everything on my end is fresh. What I should have been more clear on is, is that stuff stored local or non-local?

edit: game just finished D/L and all my perks are still lvl 6. thats good I really didnt want to do all that again.

Neo Mara fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 1, 2012

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Neo Mara posted:

Well this is a new install of the OS and everything so I meant everything on my end is fresh. What I should have been more clear on is, is that stuff stored local or non-local?

edit: game just finished D/L and all my perks are still lvl 6. thats good I really didnt want to do all that again.

It's done through the Steam achievement system. What Jabronie was saying is that you have to specifically change a setting in an .ini file to reset your stats. Unless you actively modify files before uninstalling a game, it was never a problem. Also, should you have for some masochistic reason, you could have justifiably used SAM to ballpark your levels up from 0.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Take it apart and improve it!
There is no middle finger big enough to give players who join suicidal servers with perks at level 3 or lower when the server has "LVL 5+ only" in it's name!

It's also pretty loving annoying when you and like 1 other person are doing really well as a berserker duo kiting poo poo around a map and suddenly 4 other players join and decide they wanna camp and demand all your money. Then they proceed to die 20 seconds into the match with their knife or healing syringe out. Then they complain how you weren't there to help them when it's obvious you are kiting.

Why is it that the scum of the KF community flocks to suicidal servers, particularly when a game is at wave 7 or higher? It's like the moment I hit wave 7 solo or with another person, everyone rushes to get in. Then they bitch and moan about needing weapons/money. I never have this problem on HARD servers or HoE.

On hard servers people are reasonably well mannered and know that some teamwork and communication is required. On HoE servers everyone is on their loving toes about sticking together and working as a group. Suicidal servers? Hell no! Everyone has their own agenda and plan! If you aren't with them, you get to eat a dick!

Has anyone else noticed these problems with suicidal servers?

Edit: at this point in time I pretty much have make my own servers so I can kickban any idiots that join.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
They do it in HoE servers too. I saw level 0s in a few the other day.

They could be using the steam server browser, which doesnt tell you the difficulty unless its in the server name. Most are probably just rambo wannabes though.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
While I mostly stick to normal and hard due to my abilities not being to par for higher difficulties it would be nice to have some indication of what wave a game is on. I can try to judge by the "score" but there have been times I've joined what I thought was a 2 or 3 wave game and it was 8 or 9.

Abyss fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 3, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of people like to join late in a game to try and score an easy map achievement, so when they see you in the sever browser with 3k dosh they're more likely to join. Just find some zerker buddies so there's already 3 or 4 of you kiting, and don't give money to anyone below level 4 in a Suicidal game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Lots of people like to join late in a game to try and score an easy map achievement, so when they see you in the sever browser with 3k dosh they're more likely to join. Just find some zerker buddies so there's already 3 or 4 of you kiting, and don't give money to anyone below level 4 in a Suicidal game.

Pretty much this. Screw the idiots joining in to get ripped apart.

Pointless Adornment
Apr 9, 2005

~* snail krew *~

Cage posted:

They do it in HoE servers too. I saw level 0s in a few the other day.

They're really the worst in HoE servers, because one person joining throws so many more zeds into the fray that low levels simply can't deal with that it's almost a guaranteed game-ruiner. That, and people who play HoE are the biggest rage-quitting babies in all of KF.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I was playing some tonight and noticed the Husk Cannon is counting for Firebug damage now. Good job fixing it Tripwire, shame it took the entire christmas update to get it fixed.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Koskinator posted:

How do you get that scrolling text of zed kills? I'd love to have that when I play.

Its a custom server mutator: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=51237

Takes No Damage posted:

Hell yeah! Also glad to see someone else using the commando chicken skin. It rules.

All this talk of newbies on suicidal/HoE servers has brought back some bad memories. One time on bioticslab HoE, I got to wave 9 with 3 really good players, and then some guy joined as a level 3 firebug. We already had a firebug, but that was of no concern to him! He naturally hosed down every FP and scrake he could find at the beggining of wave 10 and died almost immediately, causing a domino effect which ended in a team wipe not long after.

Thing is, it can be quite a time investment to get to the higher waves and there is so little room for error. This guy who was in the server for about 5 minutes total before he ragequit managed to devastate the entire hour-long game by himself. It would have been funny if it wasnt so demoralising.

Like with all online games KF is so much better with friends. I have since started playing sui/HoE only with friends on a server we own, and we have a zero tolerance policy regarding this poo poo.

Seriously, sui/HoE pubs :negative:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
loving pubbies.

Perhaps when I joined that wave 6 manor game and noticed everyone was dead I should have clued in but I stuck around, ended just as I predicted.

What pissed me off is that I could have done wave 7 even alone after everyone died but the very first FP that popped up was looking at me, I went into kiting mode and taking swings with the axe and the stupid loving retarded demo kept shooting him with his M4 and hitting him with a nade after he raged, FP raged on me 3 times and completely demolished my armor. Then everyone died and the last FP kept raging constantly on me and gave me no time to heal up.

Then after I die and we wipe the demo tries to explain how FPs work. :ughh:

The weird thing is that these weren't level 1 pubbies in hard, they all started with a level 6 perk and had the perks they went with after around 4 or 5 so they weren't newbies.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Pumpking posted:

Hell yeah! Also glad to see someone else using the commando chicken skin. It rules.

Uh, if you went through what it takes to earn commando chicken, I don't see why you would ever not wear it.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Has anyone played the Resident Evil 2 story map?

I've seen a server with it pop up every once in a while but it seems like you can only join at the very beginning of the map.

It looks like it could be fun but I haven't had a chance to play it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Uh, if you went through what it takes to earn commando chicken, I don't see why you would ever not wear it.

It wasn't that bad really. Some of the achievements sounded tricky but the only one that game me any trouble was beating bedlam on Hard. It's a tough map in general, a maze of poorly lit tight corridors, but the crush of noobs trying to get it for the chicken skin made it downright, well, hard to do. I wish TW would keep on making up random poo poo for us to do, gives you a secondary objective after you got all the maps done.

e: Killing Floor fanart? :confused:

e2: KF instructional videos! This is what (probably) happens when people weld doors in your game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09o8OatD64E

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 4, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Takes No Damage posted:

It wasn't that bad really. Some of the achievements sounded tricky but the only one that game me any trouble was beating bedlam on Hard. It's a tough map in general, a maze of poorly lit tight corridors, but the crush of noobs trying to get it for the chicken skin made it downright, well, hard to do. I wish TW would keep on making up random poo poo for us to do, gives you a secondary objective after you got all the maps done.

I got chicken suit as a brand new level 2 berserker over a few days. My MO for those first days of KF was to spend about 7 rounds trying to get a katana and then to die in 30 seconds. I'm so sorry, bedlam hard players (Not really, I got my chicken suit and wear it to this day) :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Takes No Damage posted:

e2: KF instructional videos! This is what (probably) happens when people weld doors in your game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09o8OatD64E

Ahaha this guy is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=MPI5TcwQKc4

• Locked thread