Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Blodskur posted:

Thief Gold is now on GOG for $9.99.

Holllly poo poo. Getting this SO FAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
How much of this game is assassinating greedy human nobles, stealing non-magical valuable things and evading human guards in grimy dark-age back alleys, and how much of it is fighting magical zombies in some fantasy dungeon?

I was disappointed (mostly by my own pre-conceptions) watching it played back in the day. I hold out hope I got the wrong impression from a single level I saw and it's a generally more of a realistic low fantasy affair.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Hidden Asbestos posted:

How much of this game is assassinating greedy human nobles, stealing non-magical valuable things and evading human guards in grimy dark-age back alleys, and how much of it is fighting magical zombies in some fantasy dungeon?

I was disappointed (mostly by my own pre-conceptions) watching it played back in the day. I hold out hope I got the wrong impression from a single level I saw and it's a generally more of a realistic low fantasy affair.

All that poo poo really only happens towards the end. Most of it is awesome thievery.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hidden Asbestos posted:

How much of this game is assassinating greedy human nobles

None. Garrett is a Thief, not an assassin. On the higher difficulty settings, it's game over if you kill anyone.

But yeah, it's a steampunk mixed fantasy setting - you're going to be using magical equipment to help you steal enchanted stuff. And yes, you'll find zombies in crypts - it's possible to sneak around them too, though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dominic White posted:

None. Garrett is a Thief, not an assassin. On the higher difficulty settings, it's game over if you kill anyone.

To add to this if you play the game on anything but the highest difficulty you're a chump. No, seriously, you miss a huge amount of the game if you do.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
One of the best games ever created.

Play on the hardest difficulty. It adds lots of objectives and makes the game much more interesting.

Monster/human ratio is about 50:50. Monsters are generally less fun enemies but fortunately there's some very good haunted levels.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Hidden Asbestos posted:

If you're not a fan of the tomb-delving zombie-dodging stuff then you might want to hold off until Thief 2 inevitably gets put on the site, which features a lot more thieving and better level design overall. Life of the Party is the best level in the series, hands down.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

If you're not a fan of the tomb-delving zombie-dodging stuff then you might want to hold off until Thief 2 inevitably gets put on the site, which features a lot more thieving and better level design overall. Life of the Party is the best level in the series, hands down.

Thief 2 has fewer monsters, but makes up for that with more robots, and if his problem with the game is that it's not a gritty low-fantasy setting, then that's going to put him off it forever.

Anyway, if his first reaction is to try and fight the zombies, he's going to only end up horribly frustrated. They keep coming back unless you hit them with holy water, anyhow. Just treat them as slower, dumber guards.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 31, 2012

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

To add to this if you play the game on anything but the highest difficulty you're a chump. No, seriously, you miss a huge amount of the game if you do.

This man speaks the truth, on some levels lower difficulty settings will actually change the level, making it smaller and simpler.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Blodskur posted:

YES :h: Oh my god yes yes yes I love GOG so much :swoon:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hmm.. It looks like they converted all the Thief cutscenes into modern AVI formats, and I can play them from outside of the game, but they're not playing in-game at all for me. Anyone else having this problem? Can't see any mention of it on the official forums. Tried it with CCCP installed and uninstalled - same result either way.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Hmm.. It looks like they converted all the Thief cutscenes into modern AVI formats, and I can play them from outside of the game, but they're not playing in-game at all for me. Anyone else having this problem? Can't see any mention of it on the official forums. Tried it with CCCP installed and uninstalled - same result either way.
I remember this being an issue with Thief 1 & 2 on modern systems. Check TTLG forums; if it's the same bug, there should be a .BAT or something floating around to get it working right. Just checked the forums and it seems I must be mis-remembering. Sorry :saddowns:

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 31, 2012

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Al! posted:

Seconding this. I played through Thief 1 for the third time and Thief 2 for the first time :sweatdrop: last year and never realized how much I had missed playing it the first time in high school. The harder setting doesn't make it too much harder, but it literally forces you to explore more and experience the amazing (and not so amazing) levels. No other way to play.

I know it will be done to death, but get these games if you like sneakers or games in the vein of Deus Ex. It's an easy buy.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Dominic White posted:

But yeah, it's a steampunk mixed fantasy setting - you're going to be using magical equipment to help you steal enchanted stuff. And yes, you'll find zombies in crypts - it's possible to sneak around them too, though.

Thanks for the info (and to everyone else who posted too), the automatic game over for killing sounds like an excellent tense experience.

I think my problem years ago was simply one of expectation, now I know the game setting I reckon things will be lot better. If I can go back to Assassin's Creed a second time, I'm sure I can manage this.

I've put it on my wishlist, I've committed to playing through Chaser right now :bang:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I've never really agreed with the standard opinion that the monsters and supernatural elements brings down Thief 1's rating. Although you can if you want to get into fights with monsters and some of the levels are somewhat Tomb Raider-ish you are still using the same simple tools of stealth and evasion to take on the undead that you are using to take on a mansion full of Bennies.

Dominic White posted:

I had a similar problem recently with the disc version of the Thief Gold. My eventually solution was to run the ancient codec installer included with the game and to run the game itself as an administrator.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Haven't checked the thread in a week or two, how is the title not Gog.com thief thief thief thief thief

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
As for the movies issue, the steps in this thread worked for me: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/thief/movies_not_working/post7 along with running the game in admin mode

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ha, before checking that, I just tried Run As Administrator, and yeah, it works! Thanks to all.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

I've never really agreed with the standard opinion that the monsters and supernatural elements brings down Thief 1's rating. Although you can if you want to get into fights with monsters and some of the levels are somewhat Tomb Raider-ish you are still using the same simple tools of stealth and evasion to take on the undead that you are using to take on a mansion full of Bennies.

I can tell you from at least my prospective why this was a problem. For me the fun of a Thief game or any stealth game is picking people off one-by-one, with their friends just down the hall none the wiser, so by the end you have the full run of the place. My problem wasn't so much that there were zombies as much as you couldn't ever be rid of them without certain valuable pieces of equipment. I have actually come to like the zombie levels a lot better in recent years, but I still much prefer sneaking into a noble's house than running past zombies around the horrible abandoned quarter. Thief 2 almost got this right until the stupid unkillable shiruken spider robots in the last level.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There, are all you people who whined about Hitman and Deus Ex happy? :v:
Would definitely pick this up if I didn't already have a big Steam/GOG backlog to wade through but maybe if it goes on sale over the summer?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Would definitely pick this up if I didn't already have a big Steam/GOG backlog to wade through but maybe if it goes on sale over the summer?

I still want Silent Storm :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

C-Euro posted:

No Anachronox, No Smiles.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I've put it on my wishlist, I've committed to playing through Chaser right now :bang:

That emoticon pretty much sums up my Chaser experience as well.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

One configuration tip for anyone new to the game. Turn the gamma down in your game options. If you've already done it go back and turn it down again. Thief is best experienced in the darkness which hides the age of the graphics.

Al! posted:

I can tell you from at least my prospective why this was a problem. For me the fun of a Thief game or any stealth game is picking people off one-by-one, with their friends just down the hall none the wiser, so by the end you have the full run of the place. My problem wasn't so much that there were zombies as much as you couldn't ever be rid of them without certain valuable pieces of equipment. I have actually come to like the zombie levels a lot better in recent years, but I still much prefer sneaking into a noble's house than running past zombies around the horrible abandoned quarter. Thief 2 almost got this right until the stupid unkillable shiruken spider robots in the last level.

Oh a house burglar. How quaint. :smug: But yeah. The mansion levels and the realistic locations were always the best but Thief is a fantastic horror game as well. There are creepy enemies out there that will violently gut you and all that's protecting you is the faintest of shadows. That to me is a key part of the Thief experience.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
gently caress yes. Thief owns and I'm definitely going to the bear pits tomorrow. They've got new muzzles with underslung cheek spikes, I hear.

hogswallower fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 31, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking of picking up Thief: Gold, but I remember seeing some good mods for it a while back. What are some suggested ones to use?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've always stopped playing Thief games at the parts where they stop being Burglar games too, but when they go on GOG I will be buying them all again when they hit 50% off and trying to play through them all the way.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Rirse posted:

Thinking of picking up Thief: Gold, but I remember seeing some good mods for it a while back. What are some suggested ones to use?

There's not too many actual mods for Thief that I'm aware of. There is an ultra hard increased difficulty mod but I've never tried it. Most of the modding for Thief is in making fan missions. There's still a fairly active community producing maps but I haven't played any of them myself in years so I'd love to hear some recommendations on those.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Anything and everything you will need to know about any Thief game, mods, patches, extremely detailed walkthroughs etc. can be found here http://www.thief-thecircle.com/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Blodskur posted:

gently caress yesssssssssssssssss :fap:

I still have my discs and I'm buying it anyways

Hidden Asbestos posted:

This actually got me wondering what the numbers are, so I checked.

Humans: 6
Monsters: 5
Both: 4

That said, even the monster-heavy missions are as much about stealth as the rest; more so, if anything, because fighting zombies, haunts or elementals is a much more unpleasant and risky affair than fighting guards.

Alchenar posted:

I still want Silent Storm :colbert:

I still want a modern X-COM in the Silent Storm engine like it was originally meant to be. :colbert:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thief! Gold! Without a doubt my favorite game of all time (along with Thief 2).

Have any fixes been rolled up in the GOG install?

Also, as I recall, you can use the Thief 2 models in ThiefG for a few more polys, and there was also a texture upgrade. AAAAAAnd there was a difficulty mod that really made things tough.

Old page is: http://www.ttlg.com/thievery/patchguide.htm. Not sure if it's still relevant.

e: The complete Thief Gold! See, EA? It can be done!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 31, 2012

Gaph
May 15, 2007

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Holllly poo poo. Getting this SO FAST.

I said the exact same thing. I'm more excited by the idea that it's so easily obtainable for people who've never played it. The cutscenes are beautiful and I still think it's the pinnacle use of sound in a game.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Can anyone comment on how easily/well this runs? I don't want to have to mess with the affinity and so on every time I run the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gaph posted:

I said the exact same thing. I'm more excited by the idea that it's so easily obtainable for people who've never played it. The cutscenes are beautiful and I still think it's the pinnacle use of sound in a game.

I'm one of those guys who never got around to playing Thief back in the day. I'm in the process of moving, but once everything is settled down and I put some time into the game, I'll post my impressions.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Can anyone comment on how easily/well this runs? I don't want to have to mess with the affinity and so on every time I run the game.

I haven't been able to get home/install it yet but this version runs just fine out of the box, with the only potential problem of the movies not playing which can be fixed by running the game as an administrator. All that bullshit with processor affinity that you used to have to do is gone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I still want a modern X-COM in the Silent Storm engine like it was originally meant to be. :colbert:

Sorry but I believe in Sid.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alchenar posted:

Sorry but I believe in Sid.

Does he even have much input on the game? Whats his development role? Executive producer?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Yeah, I'm on Window 7 64bit and Thief Gold seems fine so far ( if installed and run as administrator, at least). Movies, clearly running in a 32bit screenmode, everything.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm curious if they managed to get the game running out of the box so it doesn't crash with multicore processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Prenton posted:

Yeah, I'm on Window 7 64bit and Thief Gold seems fine so far ( if installed and run as administrator, at least). Movies, clearly running in a 32bit screenmode, everything.

Widescreen?