Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

A Swarm of Bees posted:

Sorry if it has been mentioned before but What is the link to the IRC channel?

It's #fromgoons on irc.synirc.net

Nickoten posted:

Why do you say that? They're attacking the arm-tentacle he's holding onto the cliff with, aren't they?

Well I was confused because of this Video but after looking at the Ceaseless Discharge page on the wiki it looks like it just depends on the number of hits he takes while in that position.

You can apparently only do it near the Fog Door though.

I'm gonna test it for myself tonight, I should be able to get to Ceaseless Discharge on a new character.

Susat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Reading that interview linked a few posts up, and I hadn't realized that originally curses stacked before the patch. So you could get down to like 1/16th of your health if you weren't careful.

That is loving hilarious! :darksouls:

It's kind of sad that the creator doesn't know if they're going to get the chance to make another one, though. I suppose I need to buy the game at some point, instead of hanging onto my Gamefly copy. How well did the game sell?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EC posted:

How well did the game sell?

It blew their sales expectations out of the water as far as I am aware. It quadrupled their estimates in the first week.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Ok I somehow got invaded at SL29 or so by a Spirit of Vengeance (boy was he terrible)...I didn't have any sin (even checked with Oswald). Must be another bug with the BB glitch.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

KingShiro posted:

Ok I somehow got invaded at SL29 or so by a Spirit of Vengeance (boy was he terrible)...I didn't have any sin (even checked with Oswald). Must be another bug with the BB glitch.

I think Forest Invaders are also called Spirits of Vengeance. They're certainly blue. Were you in Darkroot?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Rough Lobster posted:

I think Forest Invaders are also called Spirits of Vengeance. They're certainly blue. Were you in Darkroot?

Nope, was running through Depths.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

There's actually a NPC phantom invader in the Depths, Kirk, Knight of Thorns. He shows up a few times later, and there's a handful of others that show up in other areas.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
If I remember right, Kirk's invasion message specifies he's a dark spirit, not a spirit of vengeance.

e: Though, oddly specific invasion messages would be pretty funny. "DARK KNIGHT KIRK HAS INVADED: HE IS A DARKWRAITH, NOT A SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE; YOU CAN TELL THIS BECAUSE HE IS RED-TINGED. HTH"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

After a 2-month hiatus, I started a new character last night to show the game to a friend. My first character was a pure melee tank, so I went with pyromancer this time around. It blew my mind how much different the experience was with Fireball at my disposal. I went after the first black knight right away, and destroyed him. Then I went straight to the tower knight and he was even easier. Then I went to the gargoyles and easily beat them my first try (being able to toss all of my fireballs at the first one after getting it to half health was incredibly useful). Then I went to the Capra Demon and :gonk: I'm dead in a split second.

This whole thing is like the opposite experience I had on my first playthrough. Although the complete addiction to the game is the same.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Kaelan Zero posted:

From an interview with the creative director:

Hidetaka Miyazaki posted:

We don’t even know if we’ll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don’t know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes, so I cannot give an exact answer.

I forgive you :smith:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Rough Lobster posted:

There's actually a NPC phantom invader in the Depths, Kirk, Knight of Thorns. He shows up a few times later, and there's a handful of others that show up in other areas.

I know all the NPC invaders and their exact locations. Kirk doesn't wear Mask of the Mother and use a Gravelord Sword and Eagle Shield.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

KingShiro posted:

I know all the NPC invaders and their exact locations. Kirk doesn't wear Mask of the Mother and use a Gravelord Sword and Eagle Shield.

I mentioned this earlier but I'm almost positive at this point that you don't need sin to be invaded by Darkmoon, sin just gives you a more likely chance to be invaded by Darkmoon, since in 1.03 everyone was complaining that the Blue Eye Orb didn't work for poo poo so they relaxed the invasion restrictions.

Or it just could be a fluke, the same way you can invade as a Darkwraith and end up as a White Phantom instead.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Rough Lobster posted:

Four Kings with Archer...

The Four Kings using only a bow are certainly taxing but not impossible (soloing Ornstein and Smough was the tougher fight in my opinion). My lazy but effective strategy was just tanking them like usual. Go full Havel's, get in their face and shoot them with a +10 Bow of Pharis and Large Arrows (also ~50 DEX). Bring in 20 estus and a few humanity if things go really terrible and just stand point blank and keep firing away.

A strategy that might work, but also might be suicide, is keeping just outside their range with your bow shots. You can actually be locked-on just outside of their ginomous sword's reach I believe...

We could have a glorious Archery co-op battle if you'll be on later tonight. I should be available around 8-10pm CST. GT is my username, send me a PM if you want to try it out!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So does Fire have any advantages compared to Chaos? And is Lightning just way better than either? Wondering about this ol'Zweihander of mine, though now that I have the BKGA I don't use it much.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Edo Animus posted:

The Four Kings using only a bow are certainly taxing but not impossible (soloing Ornstein and Smough was the tougher fight in my opinion). My lazy but effective strategy was just tanking them like usual. Go full Havel's, get in their face and shoot them with a +10 Bow of Pharis and Large Arrows (also ~50 DEX). Bring in 20 estus and a few humanity if things go really terrible and just stand point blank and keep firing away.

A strategy that might work, but also might be suicide, is keeping just outside their range with your bow shots. You can actually be locked-on just outside of their ginomous sword's reach I believe...

We could have a glorious Archery co-op battle if you'll be on later tonight. I should be available around 8-10pm CST. GT is my username, send me a PM if you want to try it out!

I'm game for helping as an archer well, I was going to assist with my dex character anyways.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I got to the first bonfire in Blighttown. Am I supposed to go across the rickety moving bridge with the demon Chihuahuas at the end of it, or is there an alternative route I should take to get out of this place?

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Azruelli posted:

I was watching a Speedrun of Dark Souls and I'm curious, what's going on Here? Aren't they attacking the wrong appendage to knock Ceaseless Discharge off the cliff?

On that note, someone posted a no magic speedrun that didn't use the Kiln glitch. It was fantastic, but I lost the link and my googley skills aren't that hot apparently. Does anyone have a link to that?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maremidon posted:

So I got to the first bonfire in Blighttown. Am I supposed to go across the rickety moving bridge with the demon Chihuahuas at the end of it, or is there an alternative route I should take to get out of this place?

Nobody tell him what he has to do. Sorry, Maremidon, everyone has to handle Blighttown themselves.

It builds character. :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have to admit, it was pretty satisfying when I learned how to deal with the fat club things on my own, and managed to survive getting my face eaten by what was either a lizardman or some new kind of undead long enough to get to the bonfire. I suppose I could figure this out on my own.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maremidon posted:

I have to admit, it was pretty satisfying when I learned how to deal with the fat club things on my own, and managed to survive getting my face eaten by what was either a lizardman or some new kind of undead long enough to get to the bonfire. I suppose I could figure this out on my own.

That's the spirit! Bear in mind that when you get to the swamp, there's a bonfire somewhere along the walls.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Also if you have the old rusted ring from when you return to the aslyum, it's a good idea to equip it. You'll move full speed in the swamp.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's the spirit! Bear in mind that when you get to the swamp, there's a bonfire somewhere along the walls.

Can I give him one hint? keep going down

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Crossbar posted:

My nephew made me this cool picture after watching me help people with Iron Golem. He even drew my golden sunbro summon sign.

Your nephew kicks rear end.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gazmachine posted:

Your nephew kicks rear end.

Agreed, plus Dark Souls fan art is the best fan art.
Now get him to draw Solaire.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I'm game for helping as an archer well, I was going to assist with my dex character anyways.

I will indeed be on later tonight, you two. It would be pretty sweet if we could work that out. Imagining three archers taking out every boss is pretty funny.

Some bosses, like Capra, Iron Golem and Sif, are so EASY with an archer it's ridiculous. Others can be downright brutal

Shanty posted:

Agreed, plus Dark Souls fan art is the best fan art.
Now get him to draw Solaire.

Even better, show him Lost Izalith.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

I will indeed be on later tonight, you two. It would be pretty sweet if we could work that out. Imagining three archers taking out every boss is pretty funny.

Mos Def. I'll add you guys when I hop on later so we don't have to clog up the thread.

Rough Lobster posted:

Even better, show him Lost Izalith.

No don't, his poor young retinas :ohdear:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Mos Def. I'll add you guys when I hop on later so we don't have to clog up the thread.

No don't, his poor young retinas :ohdear:

You'll fuse his eyes shut. I think the only reason I survived is because I have photogrey lenses.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Maremidon posted:

This is really such an amazing game. I've been using the Valley of Drakes entrance, and I was about to throw the disc out the loving window if I had to kill the three trolls one more time - I would painfully creep through that goddam tunnel and then the second I actually got to Blighttown it would be TOXIC! A deformed lobster with wings melted your face! Some assholes poisoned you! You freaked out and fell into a sewer filled with firebreathing dogs!

But I finally made it through to the bonfire and then did some jolly cooperation vs. Quelaag and got a 10,000 soul bonus and regained my self esteem. I think Blighttown was much harder because I was expecting it to be hard and was on edge the whole time - this game really, really trains you to keep cool and avoid panic.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Nevermind.

Susat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 31, 2012

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Is there a minimum level to get Solaire to show up before O&S? I'm only SL16 and he's not at the bonfire and his summon sign isn't there. I talked to him in the burg and got the soapstone.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

nic olas posted:

Is there a minimum level to get Solaire to show up before O&S? I'm only SL16 and he's not at the bonfire and his summon sign isn't there. I talked to him in the burg and got the soapstone.

This may sound like a stupid question, but...are you in human form?

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Yes ma'am. The dude isn't even at the bonfire.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Picking this game up on 360 after work, and having read through some of the thread (but admittedly not all 1000 pages), I have a few questions.

The OP seemed to hint at, but not confirm nor deny, if there's a reliable way to co-op with a friend. I'm planning on playing this game while on steam chat with a buddy, are there any tried-and-true methods of playing together, or is it mostly just helping with bosses and the like once we pick up (Orange?) Soapstones if we can time it right?

Planning on starting with a Pyromancer or some sort of mobility/ranged based class. Any suggestions for a class that would be fun for someone who has never played Demon Souls or Dark Sous?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
SL125 PS3 going to be available all night tonight for 4 kings and bosses that come before them. Shoot me an email at mlaney86@gmail.com to get online. Its up to you to get the right server.

(I need to join the last covenant but don't want to raise my INT up to 25)

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

nic olas posted:

Yes ma'am. The dude isn't even at the bonfire.

You mean you can't even see him sitting at the bonfire and speak to him? That's definitely unusual. Sometimes quitting and reloading can trigger NPCs appearing. Otherwise it seems to be some kind of bizarre bug with Solaire in that playthrough. I had heard issues with him not appearing in places in NG+ but since you say you're SL16 I don't think that's your problem.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cervixalot posted:

Picking this game up on 360 after work, and having read through some of the thread (but admittedly not all 1000 pages), I have a few questions.

The OP seemed to hint at, but not confirm nor deny, if there's a reliable way to co-op with a friend. I'm planning on playing this game while on steam chat with a buddy, are there any tried-and-true methods of playing together, or is it mostly just helping with bosses and the like once we pick up (Orange?) Soapstones if we can time it right?

Planning on starting with a Pyromancer or some sort of mobility/ranged based class. Any suggestions for a class that would be fun for someone who has never played Demon Souls or Dark Sous?

Co-op is a little weird. You'll get a white soapstone that allows you to put your summon sign down for other people to summon. You can be summoned by people assuming that the person summoning you is (1) within 15% of your level and (2) is human at the time. So if you're both starting out, it'll be easy for one of you to restore your humanity and summon the other, although you won't get this ability till after the first boss. Pick an out of the way spot to drop your sign, and if the other person can't see it have them quit/reload until they do. Even then, there's no guarantee you'll see it.

This game is a bit lenient on starting classes. Pyro is all the way down at Soul Level 1, which means you have the most points to customize with, which makes it a good place to start. Using pyromancy doesn't require any actual stats at all, you just need the Flame equipped and the various "spells" attuned, which you can do at bonfires (you won't actually find any additional spells till you're on your way to the fourth boss, and even then it's easy to miss if you aren't exploring, and even then you won't be able to buy new stuff until you go back to your homebase after you free the dude).

As far as range/mobility, you'll want to concentrate on DEX, and find good scaling weapons. Stay with light armor, and learn to parry and dodge (or get a high stability shield with 100% physical block and block everything). Second to DEX would be END & VIT, which increases your stamina and health, respectively. STR would need to be upped a few times to meet whatever requirement your armor of choice has.

Bows are pretty common place, but if you're planning on using them a lot be sure to buy a bunch of arrows when you meet your first merchant. You'll want some sort of curved sword that scales with DEX, so the higher your DEX the more damage the sword will do. There's a really good sword for this purpose available early in the game, but you have be kind of a dick to get it. I'll spoiler this in case you want to approach the game clean: If you kill the first merchant you come across, he'll drop the Uchigatana, which has an A rating in DEX scaling. If you upgrade this to +15 over the course of the game, you'll be chopping dudes like it's no tomorrow. There's some other options as well, but when it comes to weapons it's all down to personal preference, so try everything out and see what you like.

If you're not planning on using sorceries or magic, you don't have to worry that much about Intelligence or Faith. I completely ignored them in my first playthrough, although there are some utility sorceries that can be useful.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey so I just got this game, played it for a few hours and feel like I'm doing pretty well. I've taken the "just try stuff out, explore and learn stuff on your own" thing to heart but I have a few questions.

Upstairs in the undead parish I unlocked a cell to help a guy and he didn't give me anything but he did say he had only just got out so give him some time, I have a feeling this might be the dude who does something nasty later in the game that I read about somewhere ages ago. Is this something that could REALLY bite me in the arse or just something minor? I'm playing as a cleric or at least I picked that at the start and have been using the mace and miracles since I picked them up so if this thing some how stops me getting the awesome miracles the loading screen tips talk about then I'd like to know.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Cervixalot posted:

It's white soapstone :eng101:

If you pick odd places to drop your summon signs you can usually work out co-op with a friend. (You do have to be within the summon level, which is your level +/- 10 or +/- SL(0.15), whichever is greater). You can also do private chat not group char and still be ok.

If you've never played the game before, then the pyromancer, warrior, knight, or cleric are the best starting classes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

thebardyspoon posted:

Is this something that could REALLY bite me in the arse or just something minor?

Yes and no. It doesn't effect miracles at all, but if you don't do anything to him now, you'll eventually lose the ability to use the bonfire at Firelink. You'll have an opportunity to rectify that later, though, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end being without. You can kill him now in Firelink to prevent this from happening, but he doesn't drop as many goodies as he does if you wait till later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

Indictments are account wide, so if you've had another character get indicted, all your characters are subject to invasion by Spirits of Vengeance.

• Locked thread