Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Everyone wants a TURBO because they anticipate curb weight of 2600 and gross weight of 2 tons after going to Sam's Club.

I'm more interested in TURBO Toyobaru upholstery, decals and indicators; how do you, your passengers, passersby and the goodyear blimp know your car is TURBO? The Hyundai Velostre TURBO has a great TURBO upholstery with TURBO stitched right into the seats, so when the TURBO kicks in and you're feeling the TURBO, your back will be TURBO. The 1988 Mitsu Starion TURBO had not only TURBO door handles and TURBO rear windscreen, but TURBOS stitched right into the seatbelts, with lively digital TURBO indicators. TURBO

My ideas for the TURBObaru: Have a glass window in the dashboard/firewall so you can see the TURBO kicking in and getting red hot as you cruise to the Sonic Drive Inn, because the car will be surely under heavy duress. Also have a glass window in the hood and left fender so passersby can see the glowing TURBO. Put some red LED's in there until the car warms up. Route the TURBO whistle into baffles built into the headliner. When you hit TURBO boost, your Toyobaru tweets its location and speed to Subaru Technica International and Akio Toyoda's official feeds (they follow all Toyobarus.) Unrelated, but a built-in soda fountain could be a popular option package.

Akio is shown here pointing to the TURBO glass window area. ("TURBO" denotes turbocharger visibility package)

They definitely should honor the car's retro niche and offer late-80s style badging through TRD. I want everyone to know not only that it's a TURBO, but also the number of camshafts and valves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

an oddly awful oud posted:

They definitely should honor the car's retro niche and offer late-80s style badging through TRD. I want everyone to know not only that it's a TURBO, but also the number of camshafts and valves.

This is perfect, if it has an engine badge there will be a 4 in it as well.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Then it will all end with a two-tone paint option and pop-up headlight conversion kit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
OK how about "buying a non-turbo new of this gen at any point"

edit: i guess to clarify my point here: this is an enthusiasts forum of people who can appreciate this car and have been clamoring for something similar for years. if it doesn't sell here, it probably won't sell too well at all, and if it doesn't sell, we'll never get anything good. we wonder why lovely midsizers and baby CUVs sell so well and then when anyone actually makes a decent enthusiast oriented car we sure as hell won't buy it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 31, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TWIN CAM 16 VALVE HIGH OUTPUT BOXER (NO TURBO)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

OK how about "buying a non-turbo new of this gen at any point"

edit: i guess to clarify my point here: this is an enthusiasts forum of people who can appreciate this car and have been clamoring for something similar for years. if it doesn't sell here, it probably won't sell too well at all, and if it doesn't sell, we'll never get anything good. we wonder why lovely midsizers and baby CUVs sell so well and then when anyone actually makes a decent enthusiast oriented car we sure as hell won't buy it.

I think people's brains have been broken by 300hp base model Mustangs and 270hp Camry's. Once people actually test drive the non-turbo one I think they'll be pleasantly surprised.

This thing should be faster than my WRX (not 0-60, but in every other fashion) and a lot easier to drive on a daily basis being lighter and without turbo lag, so I think it'd be fast enough for me for sure. As soon as my WRX is paid off we're getting one (unless my wife is down with just trading the WRX in on it, but I think we need the hauling capacity for now. After we sell the house we may not.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, speaking for myself, I'm not going to buy one because my current car is less than two years old and has under 20,000km. But the Subaru will definitely be in contention when I do replace it, and if I really really love it on a test-drive, who can say what might happen? The power issue is slightly disappointing, but not a deal-breaker (although, for less power and weight than my current car, I would expect better fuel economy).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This thing should be faster than my WRX (not 0-60, but in every other fashion) and a lot easier to drive on a daily basis being lighter and without turbo lag, so I think it'd be fast enough for me for sure. As soon as my WRX is paid off we're getting one (unless my wife is down with just trading the WRX in on it, but I think we need the hauling capacity for now. After we sell the house we may not.)

Hell, it may actually be faster (or at least as fast) as my '02 WRX and handle much better.

I am seriously considering getting rid of my '02 WRX, keeping the '11 and getting a BRZ to complement it. My greatest obstacle right now is I don't have a way to keep two cars under cover and I don't want to put the '11 outside with no protection since it's so new.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Not buying a first model-year isn't about being a cheapass; it's about letting someone else deal with teething issues.

MiniFoo posted:

Then it will all end with a two-tone paint option and pop-up headlight conversion kit.

Someone photoshop some pop-ups onto the car. I just can't picture it.

PS: I give it one month after release for someone to slap a TIMBO badge on one of these.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 31, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dick Burglar posted:

Not buying a first model-year isn't about being a cheapass; it's about letting someone else deal with teething issues.

Nah, for me, it's strictly about avoiding taking a bath on the price. I would say my own chances of buying a first year are 20%, expect it to go up to 50% after an awesome test drive.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK, I give in, what the gently caress is TIMBO? Urban Dictionary isn't of much help...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's a turbo.
Didn't it come from that stupid unreadable porsche badge?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Specifically the too-italicized knockoffs of the Porsche badge.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

bolind posted:

OK, I give in, what the gently caress is TIMBO? Urban Dictionary isn't of much help...

e: compare to a proper Porsche one:

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 31, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

bolind posted:

Some after market badges say timbo.

It's suppose to resemble the "Turbo' script on Porsches, although as far as I can tell the badge on actual Porsches don't look like that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Dunno why there's so many wondering if they would fit in this thing, the last time there was a AI Post Yourself thread it turned out AI Goons were remarkably normal and a very high percentage actually quite fit. This subset of people are probably the last lot of humans I would expect to have issues.

Issues fitting in the car, not issues as in axe murderer kind.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I'll be buying one, hopefully in August when I should have the money for everything. I've been following this car for so long it's not even an option anymore. I've resigned myself to paying MSRP, but if they try to tack on "market adjustment" bullshit then I guess I'll just wait for the 2014 model year :smith:

That TIMBO badge is loving awesome. I love when proof reading fails like that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cat Terrist posted:

Dunno why there's so many wondering if they would fit in this thing, the last time there was a AI Post Yourself thread it turned out AI Goons were remarkably normal and a very high percentage actually quite fit. This subset of people are probably the last lot of humans I would expect to have issues.

Some of us are pretty tall. I can't fit in a lot of small cars like the Miata, the S2000, and I can't fit well enough to use a clutch in many others. I have a 34" inseam, so legroom is very necessary, moreso than room for my torso. Happily, it looks like that won't be an issue in this car.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Rabble posted:

I'll be buying one ... I've been following this car for so long it's not even an option anymore.

This is me, right here. Might as well get it when it comes out so I can resign my RX-7 to restoration (pipe dream). I've always wanted to have car payments for a few years anyway!

Dick Burglar posted:

Someone photoshop some pop-ups onto the car. I just can't picture it.

I'll get right on this when I get home.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

The huge mutant people are the ones asking if they'll fit, I assume. The rest of us just naturally assume we will and continue our lives as normal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

To be fair I am a pretty normal height and width and I cant get comfortable in a subaru liberty for the life of me. to make my legs comfortable at the pedals I have to have my arms fully extended.

I havent tried in other subarus, but my parents old 94 liberty, their new 03 outback and 05 GT are all the same for me. It doesnt seem to be an issue with other manufacturers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I, too, sat in this thing at the Washington Auto show and the height wasn't a problem. However, I am wide (fat) so the bolsters where a bit too narrow for me. Otherwise I would have been fine with it.

In mildly related news, they also had the Focus ST, and I'm actually very strongly considering a purchase when they come out, though I may wait for 2014 models to hit.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Hog Obituary posted:

e: compare to a proper Porsche one:

All I can see is twrbo from that angle

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Endless Mike posted:

I, too, sat in this thing at the Washington Auto show and the height wasn't a problem. However, I am wide (fat) so the bolsters where a bit too narrow for me. Otherwise I would have been fine with it.

Seconding this - I'm 6'2" and pretty slim, and the kidney and shoulder bolsters fit me perfectly. Which is going to be a problem for many others.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I love this car but I don't know if I'll fit. I'm 4'9" and 90lbs, can I sit on phonebooks and tie blocks to my sneakers? Carseat chat :allears:

are those rear lights going to be on the US model? I didn't think we had rear fogs.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

bidikyoopi posted:

are those rear lights going to be on the US model? I didn't think we had rear fogs.

I assume those are reverse lights with the third brake light in the middle. The white looking lights next inside the taillights are turn signals.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

bidikyoopi posted:

I love this car but I don't know if I'll fit. I'm 4'9" and 90lbs, can I sit on phonebooks and tie blocks to my sneakers? Carseat chat :allears:

Pretty sure those are the reverse lights, the new minis have similar placement. Those tail lights are ugly as hell though, I thought Subaru had finally gotten over the Altezza light thing.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

law abiding rapist posted:

Those tail lights are ugly as hell though, I thought Subaru had finally gotten over the Altezza light thing.

The ones on the concept looked a million times better:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Wow, yeah. That is one hell of a downgrade from concept to production. :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For even more of a change, one of the FR-S concepts from a while back:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/new-york-2011-scion-fr-s-concept-is-friggin-really-sweet/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's surprisingly true to the concept shown there though, IMO. the only real changes were to the lights and wheels. From the headlights back to the tailgate that's what it looks like now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It got toned down like all concepts ever but there's a ton of resemblance.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

My 1990 Integra has DOHC engraved on the rub strips on the front quarter panels :krad:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kimbo305 posted:

Nah, for me, it's strictly about avoiding taking a bath on the price. I would say my own chances of buying a first year are 20%, expect it to go up to 50% after an awesome test drive.

This forum is full of dudes that are cheap and/or poor. And because of the size it'd be a struggle to use as an only car for many people. Economically it's got to be the worst time to release a new non-prestige car with limited practicality since at least the early 80s.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
http://www.ft86club.com/?p=1137

quote:

According to this report from site member AVOturboworld’s Japan office, who has just had conversations with Subaru of Japan and Toyota of Japan, the pre-order numbers for the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 are already very impressive.

The “unofficial semi-official” numbers as of the January 18th have the Subaru BRZ at 5000 pre-ordered, and the Toyota 86 at 8000 pre-ordered. Anybody in Japan trying to order either the Subaru or Toyota will have to wait till August now.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

That keeps up, guess what Nissan's going to do a revival of. I know some of you were hoping really good sales figures of the 86/BRZ/FRS to make them pull the trigger, welp..

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

This is good news. I hope the cars are greeted with this type of enthusiasm in other markets.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It'll win a bunch of sports car of the year / 10best type awards when it comes out based on how much auto journalists are creaming themselves over this thing, so even if it starts slow here it'll pick up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Don't count anything until the sales numbers are rolling in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I sure hope the price is at the end of the superbowl ad that Scion put together.

• Locked thread