Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The Red Wedding will be a hell of an episode. Stupid Robb with his stupid hair and screwing everything up. Why are all the Starks so dumb, anyway? Well, the ones that have hit puberty... Arya, Bran and Rickon are still cool. Christ, even Theon got smacked by the Stark stupid gene.

Maybe there's lead in the lemoncakes. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

empty sea posted:

Maybe there's lead in the lemoncakes. :ohdear:

That would explain a lot.

Do they ever say who Hodor's parents are? Lemonmongers?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, there was no Dany stuff at all in AFfC which is why DwD was so frustrating: the characters that were left out of AFfC were in but didn't DO anything. Certainly not enough to make up for having been absent for a book.

There's gotta be some better way for HBO to mash AFfC and DwD together and make most of a season of mildly interesting TV. Add some tits or something to fill it out and spice it up a little.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A prostitute will explain everything that happened during AFFC and ADWD.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

Can we talk about that preview chapter of Winds of Winter that GRRM posted on his website in this thread? Or is that something that needs to be put in spoilers?

You can talk about any and all books in the series in this thread without using spoilers.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

General Battuta posted:

A prostitute will explain everything that happened during AFFC and ADWD.

No, no, no, Littlefinger will explain it all while prostitutes engage in a lesbian orgy.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Dead Man Posting posted:

You can talk about any and all books in the series in this thread without using spoilers.

Eh, Dance with Dragons was done in spoiler bars, so it might be the one scenario where the bad thread gives a poo poo.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

whowhatwhere posted:

No, no, no, Littlefinger will explain it all while prostitutes engage in a lesbian orgy.
I hope we can then engage in a long debate over the value and necessity, or lack thereof, of nudity and sex in our rape and poop filled fantasy epics.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

A... better story?

Perhaps you should take some courses down at the Learning Annex, expand your horizons just a bit. A better story, my god.

It's as if there is a tin of Alpo between your ears, where normal folk have a brain.

You are probably just trying to be funny (and succeeding; I chuckled amicably into my pocket square) but the core of your argument rings true. I don't think the showrunners could do a better job with it than Martin. George has a plan, and I think in time we will be able to step back and see the master plan was there the whole time. There are few in fantasy today who could take a complex narrative and world and create such emotion around... pretty much everything. Martin is a titan of modern fantasy, and he didn't get that status by self stimulation into a hot towel, pardon the expression. He got that status by simply being one of the best.

Have a little faith, sir.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

You are probably just trying to be funny (and succeeding; I chuckled amicably into my pocket square) but the core of your argument rings true. I don't think the showrunners could do a better job with it than Martin. George has a plan, and I think in time we will be able to step back and see the master plan was there the whole time. There are few in fantasy today who could take a complex narrative and world and create such emotion around... pretty much everything. Martin is a titan of modern fantasy, and he didn't get that status by self stimulation into a hot towel, pardon the expression. He got that status by simply being one of the best.

Have a little faith, sir.

I'd totally agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that you're overflowing with sarcasm.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'd totally agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that you're overflowing with sarcasm.

Via the precipitation cycle all water eventually makes its way back to its origin; salmons swim upstream to their spawning grounds; turtles travel huge distances to return to their hatching beach; Charlize Theron returns to her small hometown in Young Adult written by Diablo Cody.

What I am saying is that we all return from where we came, and it is inevitable.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 31, 2012

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

neongrey posted:

But what school auditorium has a green screen?

A decent green screen as a backdrop for video or photography is ~200 on amazon.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

whowhatwhere posted:

Eh, Dance with Dragons was done in spoiler bars, so it might be the one scenario where the bad thread gives a poo poo.

Yhea. Five years ago we did.

Does anyone here truly give a poo poo about anything anymore?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Anders posted:

Yhea. Five years ago we did.

Does anyone here truly give a poo poo about anything anymore?

I do. A bloody, watery, poo poo.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I do. A bloody, watery, poo poo.

Riding the yellow mare and/or looking at pics of gurmm I see.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

hailthefish posted:

Yeah, there was no Dany stuff at all in AFfC which is why DwD was so frustrating: the characters that were left out of AFfC were in but didn't DO anything. Certainly not enough to make up for having been absent for a book.

Well in fairness, the characters that were left in AFfC didn't DO enough to make up for them having been present for a book, either.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

If that's the case, then Theon totally sent the "Bastard" letter. He knows what the letter says, and he repeats a few of the lines in his head while talking about it with Stannis. I didn't think anyone else could've sent it besides Ramsay when I first read Dance, but after that preview chapter, I'm pretty sure it was Theon. Now, why did he send it? I have no loving clue. Maybe if they went at each other, he'd figure Jon would gently caress Ramsay's poo poo up.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

If that's the case, then Theon totally sent the "Bastard" letter. He knows what the letter says, and he repeats a few of the lines in his head while talking about it with Stannis. I didn't think anyone else could've sent it besides Ramsay when I first read Dance, but after that preview chapter, I'm pretty sure it was Theon. Now, why did he send it? I have no loving clue. Maybe if they went at each other, he'd figure Jon would gently caress Ramsay's poo poo up.

I haven't read that chapter but I am having a hard time imgining Theon write in his condition.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Could have been the nightcloak steward, Bowen Marsh.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

ruddiger posted:

Theon would not use the word bastard because of the trauma ramsay bolton put him through, my money's on mance, you see how many times he uses the term when he fights john and you see the hatred he has toward him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well its not gonna matter anyways since Jon is totally for realsies dead and not ever coming back.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think ADwD spoilers were only honored in the early days of book discussion, before it was decided that Enough Was Enough. Of course, if you were smart, you probably just stayed out of the thread for a few months until you could drag yourself through the book's entirety.

I cared about spoilers until I was about...oh, two thirds through the book. The blessed IRC channel was even kind enough to protect me against spoilers.

I gave up after awhile. I will probably care about WoW when release approaches. Until then, fire away.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I cared about the preview chapter spoilers for ADWD. At this point, I really don't, even though I haven't read whatever preview chapter Gurm posted.

And Norris you never come to the IRC anymore!

All you jerks are welcome. #thebadthread on synirc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

I think ADwD spoilers were only honored in the early days of book discussion, before it was decided that Enough Was Enough. Of course, if you were smart, you probably just stayed out of the thread for a few months until you could drag yourself through the book's entirety.

Yeah, that's what I did. Wild Cards were gonna wild. Far be it from me to stick my dick in the pudding and demand things be different.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure I'm going to forget everything I read in this leaked preview by the time the next book is out anyway. It was pretty good chapter should have made the cut in aDWD.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

IRQ posted:

I cared about the preview chapter spoilers for ADWD. At this point, I really don't, even though I haven't read whatever preview chapter Gurm posted.

And Norris you never come to the IRC anymore!

All you jerks are welcome. #thebadthread on synirc

I am not too savvy with all this ancient irc technology, so can you guys create a channel where myself and like-minded individuals can discuss the merits of the books without being inundated with butt and educated horse jokes, thanks in advance. I'm sure there are others who share my viewpoint.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
The only sort of major thing the preview chapter from book 6 spoils is that Stannis is still alive.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Joramun posted:

The only sort of major thing the preview chapter from book 6 spoils is that Stannis is still alive.

Pretty sure someone somewhere said it's set before the letter was sent so we don't even know that.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Pretty sure someone somewhere said it's set before the letter was sent so we don't even know that.

gurm said that.

Egon de Szombathely
Mar 24, 2009
There's nothing to spoil.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egon de Szombathely posted:

There's nothing to spoil.

The failed Karstark rebellion against Stannis?

Devintownsend
Mar 17, 2009
So, I was thinking last night and this came to me (I apologize if this has been mentioned before). Since Jon Snow is now dead...ish, is this going to be the way out of the Night's Watch oath for him? Since his watch ends with his death...can zombie Snow then take a wife, wear a crown and all that?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Devintownsend posted:

So, I was thinking last night and this came to me (I apologize if this has been mentioned before). Since Jon Snow is now dead...ish, is this going to be the way out of the Night's Watch oath for him? Since his watch ends with his death...can zombie Snow then take a wife, wear a crown and all that?

Sure, he can do what ever he wants. Stannis offered him Winterfell before he was deadish though and he didn't take it. I think it would be kinda silly taking it after coming back to life though (even though this is probably what will happen).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I think it'd be stupid if GRRM did it, but to be fair: he hadn't yet been stabbed to death by his comrades-in-arms when he refused Stannis. I guess I could see him deciding "gently caress this place" and taking advantage of the loophole.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

This whole new season of the show's gonna suck. There's so many "big" scenes that require too much budget to pull off properly.

As an example, here's how the Battle of Blackwater will play out:

We'll see a few people preparing for it on modest sets. Then MAYBE a few seconds of action in a reused set like that one square of King's Landing that apparently every loving thing in the city happens in. Then we'll cut forward until after the whole thing is over and all of the relevant events will be explained by or to a topless woman. The tits will distract us from noticing that we're basically getting a plot dump instead of a bad rear end, expensive battle scene.

It is known.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Eh, I figure they'll have two things:

1) Davos noticing the chain and the wildfire

2) CGI of the wildfire going off and the chain going up

3) some variant of Tyrion's fight which ensures he gets some sort of easy-to-work-with disfiguring scar

Everything else is either cheap or can be done by someone looking out the window and saying "LOOK! HERE COMES X!"

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

thornghost posted:

Then we'll cut forward until after the whole thing is over and all of the relevant events will be explained by or to a topless woman. The tits will distract us from noticing that we're basically getting a plot dump instead of a bad rear end, expensive battle scene.

I'm fine with this as long as it's Old Nan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

She died, remember?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xiahou Dun posted:

She died, remember?

Look, just because you're painfully straight and square doesn't mean geri-loving necrophiles aren't watching the series, too.

Bigot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

I haven't read that chapter but I am having a hard time imgining Theon write in his condition.

The sample chapter focused quite a bit on how the ravens are trained and only few can go to more than one castle. With a normal author that'd be an obvious Chekhov's gun situation but who knows with Martin. It seems to be foreshadowing that that letter probably isn't from Bolton.

smarion2 posted:

Sure, he can do what ever he wants. Stannis offered him Winterfell before he was deadish though and he didn't take it. I think it would be kinda silly taking it after coming back to life though (even though this is probably what will happen).

I figured he didn't take it because he took an oath, but now he's free from that.

Of course with Sansa being given the North by Petyr it seems like that's setting up for some conflict as well.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 1, 2012