Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

doctorfrog posted:

Widescreen?
That I don't know - I'm on a standard aspect ratio, and I think you have to muck about in config files to go beyond 1024x768. But I'm running dual core, and no crashes so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, even the monster-heavy missions are as much about stealth as the rest; more so, if anything, because fighting zombies, haunts or elementals is a much more unpleasant and risky affair than fighting guards.

I suspect part of the reason that people don't like the monsters is that just drifting past the guards in thief makes you feel clever, like you're taking the more difficult way out and that makes you feel more like a pro. If you're supposed to do it then it's less interesting (ie. the stealth equiv of how I feel about the HL2 gravity gun as a weapon normally, and then in the end of Episode 2)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'm actually pretty impressed that GOG felt confident in releasing Thief 1. Hasn't it had a history of being really hard to run on modern systems?

I guess the reverse-engineering person(s) they hired paid off.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

macnbc posted:

I'm actually pretty impressed that GOG felt confident in releasing Thief 1. Hasn't it had a history of being really hard to run on modern systems?

I guess the reverse-engineering person(s) they hired paid off.

It's really easy to run if you know what to do (ie: set single-core affinity, register LGVID.AX, and install ddfix). It's nowhere near the same level of problems as, say, I-War, or Interstate '76.

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm curious if they managed to get the game running out of the box so it doesn't crash with multicore processing.

Yes (this is in fact trivial). However, there's a lot of people on the GOG forums complaining that it doesn't come with ddfix (which fixes the "video card does not properly report texture memory usage" crash) or the widescreen patch (which is just cosmetic).

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

doctorfrog posted:

Widescreen?

There should be a widescreen patch available on the TTLG forums but if GOG has changed the executable in any way it may not work.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
As someone who has never played Thief 1, how easy is it to get into? It's an oldie so I'm curious if it aged well.

For reference I'm currently playing through Planescape and Ultima 6+7 for the first time and am enjoying them.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Oh, and don't forget to set the "Character detail: High" option in the video settings.

Why put up with models like this:

When you could have these:

Oh.

Actually, this seems to imply they've not just glued DDFix in somehow, as DDFix broke the usual screenshot mechanism I used to take these.

quote:

the "video card does not properly report texture memory usage" crash
Pffft. Play in software mode, that's what I had to do back in the day. Then get horribly lost, as 256 colour software mode really doesn't work with such a lighting-dependent game as Thief.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

As someone who has never played Thief 1, how easy is it to get into? It's an oldie so I'm curious if it aged well.

For reference I'm currently playing through Planescape and Ultima 6+7 for the first time and am enjoying them.

Pretty easy - if you can handle Planescape and Ultima you should have no problems with Thief. The textures and models are pretty dated, but the interface is standard keyboard-move, mouse-look FPS style.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

ToxicFrog posted:

Pretty easy - if you can handle Planescape and Ultima you should have no problems with Thief. The textures and models are pretty dated, but the interface is standard keyboard-move, mouse-look FPS style.

The default controls are actually quite confusing. s walks forward, w run forward, for example.

Your first move should be to remap the controls to standard wasd

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I like to remap the controls to the keypad (I generally use the mouse in my left hand). It's the only first person game I don't use WASD with but it works well here due to constantly switching between fast and slow movement and crouching.

7 and 9 leaning.
8 for running forward
5 for normal walking speed
4,6,1 and 3 for strafing
2 for backwards movement.
0 and enter for crouch toggle or jump as preferred and the remaining keys for commonly used gadgets etc.

This can easily be adapted to whatever position on the keyboard suits.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

My setup is generally:
WASD to move (at a walking pace)
QE to lean
ctrl-W to run
shift/space for crouch/jump
number keys to select arrows/tools
ZXCV to cycle through inventory and put away weapons/items
left-mouse attack, right-mouse frob/use, middle-mouse block

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Prenton posted:

Oh, and don't forget to set the "Character detail: High" option in the video settings.

Why put up with models like this:

When you could have these:

Oh.

Yeah, the dark engine ain't so hot with the polys, but as I pointed out earlier, you can use the Thief 2 models and higher resolution textures: http://www.ttlg.com/thievery/patchguide.htm

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm on the 2nd level of Thief gold and I gotta ask. Does it get better? Being stuck in cramped space running from zombies and THEN sneaking up to the factory only to run into 3+ guards in a teeny, tiny room is just the opposite of fun.

I liked the first level, are the rest like the first level?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Red Mundus posted:

I'm on the 2nd level of Thief gold and I gotta ask. Does it get better? Being stuck in cramped space running from zombies and THEN sneaking up to the factory only to run into 3+ guards in a teeny, tiny room is just the opposite of fun.

Not really.

This is addressed in Thief 2, though. Pretty much all of the missions in The Metal Age are awesome.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

pixelbaron posted:

Not really.

This is addressed in Thief 2, though. Pretty much all of the missions in The Metal Age are awesome.

This is the rub of the series and will be frequently visited by new players in this thread. I can already tell. I enjoy the undead missions when I hated them when it first came out. Just accept you can't kill everything and it's better. The Horn of Quintus and Lost City levels were much more enjoyable for me after realizing this. Plus, protip: If you get cornered by fully aware guards, you can toss down a flashbomb. While they are stunned they can be blackjacked from any angle. This is really useful if you're playing on 'no killing' skill levels.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
OK let's hear it, how much loving around do you have to do with the GOG version of Thief just to get it running?

I've bought Thief : Gold four times already. If the installation works right away, then I guess I'm buying a fifth copy :v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Red Mundus posted:

Several of them are, but there will be a lot of what you see in level 2. Level 3 or 4 I think take you into more mansions. Don't dispair, though. There are dozens and dozens of Thief missions, many of them take inspiration from the Bafford Manor. Thief 2 kind of gets back into the 'roots' of that first mission as well.

Frankly, I liked the mix of scenery and horror in Thief, it was amazing. Only game that ever actually made me shut it off from being too creepy, and I think the first time was while tomb raiding on that second level. But I'm anything but objective about it.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 1, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Actually I don't mind the zombie levels as I ignore/avoid most enemies so far.

It's just entering a room and seeing 5 people crammed into a closet that pisses me off. I wish the levels were a bit more open so I can move. It's making me claustrophobic.

Also enemies' footsteps sound close regardless of which level they're on so I sometimes hide for minutes at a time only to realize the footsteps I heard are actually a guard 3 floors up. :v:

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Skilleddk posted:

OK let's hear it, how much loving around do you have to do with the GOG version of Thief just to get it running?

I've bought Thief : Gold four times already. If the installation works right away, then I guess I'm buying a fifth copy :v:

Windows 7 64 here, and worked fine :)

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Just posting to say that DDFix seems to be working fine with the GOG version. I don't have any of the fancy options enabled since I only use it for widescreen support, but that alone is worth it. Just copy the two DDFix files and the fixed executable over, then change the resolution in cam.cfg and you're golden.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Man, Thief 2 was the only game out of that godly SoundBlaster Live! bundle I never played. Hopefully I can fix that even though game sound engines have gone backward with the exception of Battlefield.

Buying both Thief games over again won't even be that bad as I've bought DX1 something like 12 times to give to friends.

Gaph
May 15, 2007

I hope the non-human parts don't discourage new players. This is where you can freely hack-n-slash and blow up uglies without repercussion. It's a nice balance with the more pacifist human missions. So some general tips:

-BIND A KEY TO LEAN FORWARD, as long as you're hidden you can blackjack enemies head-on, even if they're searching for you

-Flash bombs damage/can kill the undead, more damage the closer they are to the detonation
-Unaware Burricks can be blackjacked/backstabbed/killed with a broadhead arrow to the head
-All arrows can be used to hit buttons from afar
-Aim for the midsection with holy water and fire arrows for the most damage
-Lean into doors to hear behind them

Unlucky7 posted:

- Does equipment/gold carry over between stages?
No, spend all your money before and use all your equipment during missions.

- Is there an easier way to traverse the Checked Stone Floors of gently caress You rather than crouch, hold down the slow down key, and pray?
You can tap forwards to avoid ever making a footfall. Moss arrows can be used later to dampen loud surfaces.

Gaph fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 1, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On the GoG forum, someone put up a bundle of ddFix, widescreen patch, and a handful of enhancement mods, here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/thief/tgfix_widescreen_resolutions_fixedimproved_graphics_etc/page1

Makes the game look fairly nice. But then I never played the original, so...

Anyway, just got through the first mission, and the game does hold up. A few questions though.

- Is there an easier way to traverse the Checked Stone Floors of gently caress You rather than crouch, hold down the slow down key, and pray?

- Is my aspect ratio effed up, or is some of the geometry...asymetrical? I mean, I like the effect...

- Similarly, is it just me, or is pickpocketing/blackjacking distance rather generous?

This also may be a good time to have someone post up the annual Thief series thread!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Gaph posted:

-All arrows can be used to hit buttons from afar

I have been playing this game off and on for over ten years and never knew this was possible. Amazing.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Just a word of advice. On two levels you will need to use fire arrows to light torches in order to complete objectives (one of these is expert only). If you don't conserve a couple of arrows then you can obtain more by attacking the respawning burning men monsters you may have encountered earlier on the level.
If you get hopelessly stuck on a level the level skip cheat is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End but getting lost down in the Bonehoard is a rite of passage for these games.

Unlucky7 posted:

No spend what you have. You can retire in style later in the game

quote:

Other than going slow or trying to find an alternative path you can use moss arrows.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
To add on the fire arrow advice: they fly completely straight. The arrow does not drop. I don't think it's ever explained anywhere, and overshooting a rare arrow like that just because it doesn't fly like expected can be pretty frustrating.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

synertia posted:

I have been playing this game off and on for over ten years and never knew this was possible. Amazing.

You clearly never played Lost Vikings :colbert:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Spoony just finished his video retrospective of Ultima 8, and reminds us why it'll probably never show up on GOG.

Poor bastard. I had the floppy version too. The platforming... oh god, the platforming. And the trapped chests. Yes, he does a lot of screaming in this review, but dear god is it ever justified. He had to play through the whole thing to get the footage for that video, and that is not a pleasant experience for anyone.

Can't wait for him to rip into Ultima 9. Seriously, gently caress EA. Origin even produced a full expansion for Ultima 8, sent it for duplication and publishing, and EA just dropped it in the trash somewhere and lost the master.

Edit: Also, yeah, DDFix is a must-have if you're playing Thief Gold. Widescreen support, 32-bit rendering and some other improvements.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 1, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cool, I'll check it out.

That said, I really really like Ultima 8 after the official patch which made the platforming point & click. I really liked where Origin went with the game and thought it ended up a lot of wasted potential.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Wow, Spoony is actually making watchable stuff again? Good retrospective of the game. I played this when it came out, had the floppy disks, and beat it unpatched. I did have the hint guide, but it didn't make it less frustrating. Gaming really has changed because I used to have such limited choices of games I HAD to only play one and beat it.

I wanted that speech pack for U8 so badly, and now I'm so glad I never got it. The guy doing the voice for one of the three statues you find during the Necromancy quest just sounded pretty awful like he had been in the booth for 6 hours, it was 1 and he wanted to go to lunch. Ultima 9 review should be something special.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

synertia posted:

Wow, Spoony is actually making watchable stuff again?

Dude has been in and out of doctors offices pretty much constantly these past few months, so he's basically been doing filler stuff just to keep the site ticking over. I'm glad to see he's back on form.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Month-long promo! Buy at least two full-priced games at the same time and get 10% off.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Kins posted:

Month-long promo! Buy at least two full-priced games at the same time and get 10% off.

Save up to 1 dollar a game if you pay at least 12 bucks? This doesn't exactly seem like the deal of a lifetime, but what the hell.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
More importantly Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is 50% off for one day only. My favourite fighting game series, so drat good. No online play in this version unfortunately, but it is really easy to mod the soundtrack to your liking. Not that you'll want to cause the OST rawks (and is also included as a bonus).

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 1, 2012

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

teethgrinder posted:

That said, I really really like Ultima 8

:stare:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

Save up to 1 dollar a game if you pay at least 12 bucks? This doesn't exactly seem like the deal of a lifetime, but what the hell.

It forces the hand of people like me who said they were going to wait and get Thief when it goes on sale. My combined GOG and Steam backlogs could probably satisfy my gaming needs for the next ten years but I am building up a healthy little wishlist on GOG...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sniper Party posted:

To add on the fire arrow advice: they fly completely straight. The arrow does not drop. I don't think it's ever explained anywhere, and overshooting a rare arrow like that just because it doesn't fly like expected can be pretty frustrating.

Gas arrows do this as well. All other arrows fly normally.

This is in fact explained, in the README (under "Gameplay and Design - on the Trajectory of Arrows").

This section of the README is worth reading in its entirety, actually; it answers some other questions that have been asked here ("do items and gold carry over to the next mission", for example - no, but the more loot you collect in a mission, the more you have to spend when gearing up for the next) and has some useful hints.

The README is named "Readme.wri"; rename it "Readme.rtf" and it'll open fine in wordpad.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

:stare:
What's the mystery?

First, the patch removed all the dropping platforms and made it so you jumped where you clicked. There was no longer than annoying fixed-distance jumping making you miss platforms. They were barely notable afterwards.

For the game itself, as an Ultima veteran, it was great to be tossed into an alien world where nobody cared what the Avatar was, with unique rules for everything. The combat was kind of janky, but the climbing and platforming were pretty good for the time (after the patch), and the exploration and atmosphere were outstanding. The music and animation were top-notch too.

Shame the game was stuck at 320x200 ... but then the engine got upgraded for Crusader...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'll probably get GGX2 even though it doesn't have the online patch (and apparently it doesn't work with the GOG version either) because it's still a really solid fighter. There should be more fighting games (and Japanese games in general) on GOG.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

teethgrinder posted:

What's the mystery?

First, the patch removed all the dropping platforms and made it so you jumped where you clicked. There was no longer than annoying fixed-distance jumping making you miss platforms. They were barely notable afterwards.

For the game itself, as an Ultima veteran, it was great to be tossed into an alien world where nobody cared what the Avatar was, with unique rules for everything. The combat was kind of janky, but the climbing and platforming were pretty good for the time (after the patch), and the exploration and atmosphere were outstanding. The music and animation were top-notch too.

Shame the game was stuck at 320x200 ... but then the engine got upgraded for Crusader...

Even with every treasure chest exploding in your face, even when you unlock it with a key?