Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Do we know who the announcer guy is? I felt that I had heard him before and it came too me that he sounds an awful lot like the narrator from the Hiimdaisy Persona 4 Comic Dub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dude789 posted:

Do we know who the announcer guy is? I felt that I had heard him before and it came too me that he sounds an awful lot like the narrator from the Hiimdaisy Persona 4 Comic Dub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ

He is that guy! :)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'll feel bad if Skullgirls doesn't get released on Valentines Day. They'll have to move the holiday to when it's released.

Real talk: When is Wednesday Night Fights coming back and will SkullGirls come with it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dude789 posted:

Yeah I noticed it a few months back. It's a really distinct voice, and it works well.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Liar Lyre posted:

I'll feel bad if Skullgirls doesn't get released on Valentines Day. They'll have to move the holiday to when it's released.

Real talk: When is Wednesday Night Fights coming back and will SkullGirls come with it?

The first WNF of 2012 is on february first, so this coming wednesday. Skullgirls is going to be there but I'm not sure if it's gonna be on stream.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

dude789 posted:

Also Ms. Fortune is Nanako if memory serves. Reverge must have really liked that dub?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Nerokerubina posted:

Also Ms. Fortune is Nanako if memory serves. Reverge must have really liked that dub?

Also Chi Chi from DBZ Abridged.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Beta 0.1!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I hope that means the last character is in, ready to be shown off soon!

Hella cool match, and Valentine's level 3 is stunning.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I thought the lifeline attack was pretty inspired as well. I'll probably use Parasoul, though, I've always enjoyed baiting and annoying attacks like that - I always used Bridget in GG and Ibuki in SFIII! That blocking soldier "attack" is hilarious as well. "Nooooooo!"

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 28, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Did the little floating napalm shots absorb projectiles? It seems like that would mess up Peacock pretty bad.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did the little floating napalm shots absorb projectiles? It seems like that would mess up Peacock pretty bad.

The actual napalm drops don't absorb projectiles, just the Sonic Boom-style ones while they're in transit.

Peacock actually messes up Parasoul pretty bad if the Parasoul isn't good at using the bodyguard move due to her item drop and her fake teleport (if you do her teleport but hold the kick button down, she stays in place but does a quick homing attack.) As far as ranged capabilities go in this game, she runs circles around the other zoning-capable characters in the cast (mostly just Parasoul and Painwheel) but she has the flimsiest defensive options, kind of like a suped-up Dhalsim.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
While it's still a few weeks away, I hope that someone more ambitious than me sets up some day 1 tournament action (day 1 in this case being Valentine's Day (the day Skullgirls comes out)).

I'm going to use Ms. Fortune I think because almost everything she says is a cat pun and that counts for a lot in my book.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'd be down for getting my butt kicked if we have a tourney.

I'd probably stick to Peacock because I'm bad at fighting games. 420 keep away e'ry day.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I sure am getting sick of living in this pre-Skullgirls world.

entirely stolen from srk

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 30, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Beta 0.1!

Wait, whatever happened to "ladies and gentlemen, it's...show time!"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Boxman posted:

Wait, whatever happened to "ladies and gentlemen, it's...show time!"

It's random. The announcer has a ton of different quotes.

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

It's random. The announcer has a ton of different quotes.

pretty sure he's talking about the part where the screen literally lights up with LADIES AND GENTLEMEN etc. in that video it's simply TAKE 1 - ACTION. Can't say I like that change

VVV okay yeah that makes sense

soonmide fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 31, 2012

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
The "TAKE 1" screen only appears when it's a 1v1 match with multiple rounds.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've watched some of the recorded matches to get an impression (and they are actually pretty fun) and just wanted to throw two questions out.

Have any solo vs team of 3 matches had the solo character win? Teams can pull some crazy poo poo with two extras, and it seems like it would be hard to anticipate all of it all the time. And they can recover health. I know about the buffs a solo character has, but still.

Also is there something wrong with painwheel or is she just not in the alpha? I haven't seen anyone use her.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Have any solo vs team of 3 matches had the solo character win? Teams can pull some crazy poo poo with two extras, and it seems like it would be hard to anticipate all of it all the time. And they can recover health. I know about the buffs a solo character has, but still.

I can't point to a specific video off the top of my head but i've played enough (as a solo) to say that yes it's definitely possible. i actually think 2 is better than 3 in most situations though i'm obviously not some kind of expert.

quote:

Also is there something wrong with painwheel or is she just not in the alpha? I haven't seen anyone use her.

She is probably the hardest character to play at the moment especially without the advantage of being able to try training mode, most of her good poo poo comes off ridiculous fly-cancel combos. Dacidbro has a really amazing painwheel though.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here is a good 3v1 where 1 wins. And it's with Peacock who is considered a fairly weak solo character.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=Y6SuATsMg80

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Liar Lyre posted:

Here is a good 3v1 where 1 wins. And it's with Peacock who is considered a fairly weak solo character.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=Y6SuATsMg80

Uh that just links to my Watch Later list

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

AXE COP posted:

Uh that just links to my Watch Later list

I think he wanted this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6SuATsMg80

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I honestly think that solo peacock is better than she "should" be, the gigantic health pool gives her way more guesses at trying to roll/teleport out of bad situations, and the huge damage off totally random situations 9pus the really substantial chip damage) makes her a huge threat all the time just by virtue of being solo. Like aside from solo fillia and MF (and probably valentine) being horrible matchups i don't think solo peacock is as hopeless as she's made out to be

I mean look at that random laser just doing 50% of a health pool, Ridiculous.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nerokerubina posted:

I honestly think that solo peacock is better than she "should" be, the gigantic health pool gives her way more guesses at trying to roll/teleport out of bad situations, and the huge damage off totally random situations 9pus the really substantial chip damage) makes her a huge threat all the time just by virtue of being solo. Like aside from solo fillia and MF (and probably valentine) being horrible matchups i don't think solo peacock is as hopeless as she's made out to be

I mean look at that random laser just doing 50% of a health pool, Ridiculous.

Zoning is always very strong when the players are bad or inexperienced in the game. Remember day 0 MvC3 with Nerdjosh's Arthur/Sentinel team that everyone thought was broken? I'm not saying Peacock will be bad, but I don't think we've seen anything conducive yet (and all the devs, the people who have a bunch of experience with the game, have said she's the worst solo character).

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Zoning is always very strong when the players are bad or inexperienced in the game. Remember day 0 MvC3 with Nerdjosh's Arthur/Sentinel team that everyone thought was broken? I'm not saying Peacock will be bad, but I don't think we've seen anything conducive yet (and all the devs, the people who have a bunch of experience with the game, have said she's the worst solo character).

She probably is the worst solo character (though cerebella is similarly high/risk high/reward and i think works better with assists) but i don't think she's completely hopeless solo and I plan to stick with her solo as long as it seems viable (probably not very long).

edit: i'm mostly just saying that i'm impressed with how balanced most characters and most team sizes seem to be. solo peacock is probably the worst "combination" in the entire game, i won't deny this, and even she seems viable at this stage.

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 1, 2012

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Saint Freak posted:

Didn't really take advantage of assists did they?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

loving poo poo this game needs to come out.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Maybe it’s just me but I’d prefer it if solo characters didn’t show red life, it just seems like clutter when you can’t tag out (unless there’s another mechanic I’m not aware of).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Hactar posted:

Maybe it’s just me but I’d prefer it if solo characters didn’t show red life, it just seems like clutter when you can’t tag out (unless there’s another mechanic I’m not aware of).

They don't anymore. That was just something in the alpha versions of the game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm excited for the game, but I still wish the music and sound design were better. Hit sounds are kind of lacking in oomph (especially block sounds, which aren't easily distinguishable from hits), and the hitsparks are too subtle to compensate visually. Peacock's voice is inexplicably awful (though some other characters' aren't bad), and the music somehow manages to be even cornier smooth jazz than Marvel 2's. Maplecrest's music is particularly awful. Might just end up playing with the volume down a lot.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Actually Maplecrest has the best music. Although from what I know about your taste in music Brosnan it makes sense that you don't like it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well, I agree about the hit sounds, it's something I've complained about since the first videos that showed up. The hitsparks I think look pretty good though.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Actually Maplecrest has the best music. Although from what I know about your taste in music Brosnan it makes sense that you don't like it.
Jamcrofts, I love you, but the woman slurring that obnoxious "laaaa-la-la-la-la-laaa" over that track is awful. I don't play fighting games for the music, but I don't think it's such a high bar to ask for some that's at least not distractingly bad. Like I said, MvC2's music is pretty inappropriate for a lot of the same reasons, but at least there's some cute jazz drumming and stuff to keep it active.

As for the hitsparks, I don't think they look bad, they're just too subtle. You can get away with a lot more in motion than you'd think -- Marvel and Tekken both have pretty huge effects that look obstructive in screenshots, but actually work pretty well in the game to create a clear sense of impact from the attacks. I kinda have the same issue with Virtua Fighter: there's no sense of power beyond one set of polygons touching another.

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008

Brosnan posted:

Jamcrofts, I love you, but the woman slurring that obnoxious "laaaa-la-la-la-la-laaa" over that track is awful. I don't play fighting games for the music, but I don't think it's such a high bar to ask for some that's at least not distractingly bad. Like I said, MvC2's music is pretty inappropriate for a lot of the same reasons, but at least there's some cute jazz drumming and stuff to keep it active.

You're a monster.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Brosnan posted:

You're gonna get taken for a ride.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...actually, I'm not really that much of a fan of that song either. I don't find it awfully bad, but I think it's quite meh. It's not fuckin' Rufus' Theme, that's for sure - YEEHAW YEEHAW YEEHAW

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Peacock needs to say "Garbage Day" like one out of every three specials or something instead of constantly, otherwise I think her voice is great.

I hate Painwheel's voice though, far too husky for someone so tiny and young. Also, while it's not terrible, I'm disappointed in Parasoul's voice, I kind of just wish she had better/more lines to say. My biggest criticism is that whenever Parasoul says "Napalm" it sounds like "Nipple."

Finally: Is that a Dio reference with Valentine's knife super?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
The only beefs I have are Parasoul's hitstun poses and Valentine's grabbed pose (or at least the one where she gets thrown by Parasoul). They both look really, really weird and don't really match what's going on.

• Locked thread