Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The fair play stuff starts with the 2011/12 season.

As of right now, Chelsea's net spend for the year is somewhere around £50m.

In 2010/11 their net spend was £87m, plus Carlo's severance and the £14m for AVB. So £100m+ and their loss was under £70m.

So as long as Chelsea don't sign anyone else this season their loss should be around £20m.

When Chelsea sign Hazard and fire AVB, then it will be back around £70m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Sacking Ancelotti and getting AVB for £20m was a much worse deal than Torres for £50m.

Swimmy
Mar 26, 2006
I fucked up
Pompey are trying to sell off players to Ipswich today but two of them have refused to leave, which is nice, but does leave a problem with that tax bill.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Noxville posted:

On track to break even by 2110.

If they're improving by £900k per year, I make it 2087.

Here's the last few years worth of Chelsea results. Blue line's turnover, red line is costs, red area is losses. If you squint really closely at the bottom left, the green area is profit.

Who thinks this is a company heading towards break even?

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
Oh, and Spurs are definitely staying at White Hart Lane: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/31/tottenham-hotspur-white-hart-lane

It's costing us £400m, in addition the Mayor of London is sticking £18m in towards local infrastructure/parking/public transport and a public square, the council's putting in £9m for public spaces and existing public buildings.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
How much in total has Abramovich spent on Chelsea so far?

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

Lot 49 posted:

I heard on the radio this morning that it was somewhere around a billion.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MattWPBS posted:

Oh, and Spurs are definitely staying at White Hart Lane: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/31/tottenham-hotspur-white-hart-lane

It's costing us £400m, in addition the Mayor of London is sticking £18m in towards local infrastructure/parking/public transport and a public square, the council's putting in £9m for public spaces and existing public buildings.

Is that £400m in new costs or is that the total cost including all the money they've spent over the years to buy up the land around WHL?

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

Swimmy posted:

Pompey are trying to sell off players to Ipswich today but two of them have refused to leave, which is nice, but does leave a problem with that tax bill.

I don't think we were trying that hard. Neither were highly paid and we wouldn't have got all the money up front so it wouldn't help with paying off the debts (1.6mil to HMRC + 800k or so wages) or the running costs to last until summer.

The only hope would be finding a genuine investor to buy the club in which case it's better keeping decent members of the squad to tempt an investor in the next 3 weeks.

We don't have parachute payments to draw down on and we haven't attracted anything serious in the past 4 months. I doubt Portpin will see any value in investing more money as they are unable to sell the club at half their asking price. We are going to get wound down in 20 days.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004

MrBling posted:

Is that £400m in new costs or is that the total cost including all the money they've spent over the years to buy up the land around WHL?

Dunno to be honest. Even if it's £400m on top, it shouldn't really be a problem. We've made an average of £12m profit over each of the last five years with the current stadium, with £20.4m coming from Premier League match day revenue in year ending 2011. White Hart Lane's 36,230 capacity, the new ground's meant to be a 60,000 seater. Assuming 90% crowds (our season ticket waiting list is larger than the increase in capacity though), and the ticket price remaining static (which it probably won't), the extra capacity would mean an additional £10m per year from Premier League games alone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thats before you factor in the masses of money extra that comes in from better corporate suites and stuff

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

I don't think stadiums count towards FFP anyway because you're helping the neighborhood and stuff.

I'm sure Levy has it all figured out though, guys a great owner.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004

Jose posted:

Thats before you factor in the masses of money extra that comes in from better corporate suites and stuff

Yeah, like I said, that's only the Premier League seat revenue assuming low attendances.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Lot 49 posted:

According to this site (not sure how accurate it is, but should be in the right area), it's £607.5m with £160m coming in.

The most amazing thing about that list is that they managed to get £21m for Wayne Bridge and SWP.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Modus Trollens posted:

I don't think stadiums count towards FFP anyway because you're helping the neighborhood and stuff.

I'm sure Levy has it all figured out though, guys a great owner.

Well, Joe Lewis is the owner. The only thing he cares about is money and playing golf on whatever island it is he lives on.

He just realised that it was probably the best idea to let Levy handle ENIC and Spurs and stay the gently caress away.

Technically Spurs has a billionaire owner, except he doesn't really care about football/the club or pump any money into it.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004

MrBling posted:

Well, Joe Lewis is the owner. The only thing he cares about is money and playing golf on whatever island it is he lives on.

He just realised that it was probably the best idea to let Levy handle ENIC and Spurs and stay the gently caress away.

Technically Spurs has a billionaire owner, except he doesn't really care about football/the club or pump any money into it.

Yup. We have one of the richest owners in the league, we just happen to have the one who shows exactly how he got rich in his running of the club. He's a businessman, not an oligarch or sheikh.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mickolution posted:

According to this site (not sure how accurate it is, but should be in the right area), it's £607.5m with £160m coming in.

The most amazing thing about that list is that they managed to get £21m for Wayne Bridge and SWP.

Chelsea paid £21m for SWP alone though. They essentially paid £12m to loan him for 3 years and also paid all his salary.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

pik_d posted:

Chelsea paid £21m for SWP alone though. They essentially paid £12m to loan him for 3 years and also paid all his salary.

Yeah, I know that. But it's remarkable that City paid that much to get him back.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
Isn't the Rangers tax case verdict meant to be coming through soon?

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
Oh, and this is a really good read on the topic: http://rangerstaxcase.com/

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

MattWPBS posted:

Isn't the Rangers tax case verdict meant to be coming through soon?

Not for a while yet I don't think, earliest I've seen suggested seriously is April

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In case you want to know who is killing football the most, Deloitte released the 2010/11 Money League, based on revenue in that season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16951878

The top ten:

1. Real Madrid: 479.5m euros
2. Barcelona: 450.7m euros
3. Man Utd: 367m euros
4. Bayern Munich: 321.4m euros
5. Arsenal: 251.1m euros
6. Chelsea: 249.8m euros
7. AC Milan: 235.1.m euros
8. Internationale: 211.4m euros
9. Liverpool: 203.3m euros
10. Schalke: 202.4m euros

Real are top for the seventh year in a row, and the top seven clubs are all in unchanged positions from last year. If Madrid is top again next year they will match Man U's record of being top eight years in a row. Also, Deloitte predict that next year Man City will jump into the top 10, probably replacing Schalke (who themselves just edged in, after jumping six places from last year).

All the clubs involved are from the 'big 5' leagues, with 6 from England, 5 from Italy, 4 from Germany, 3 from Spain and 2 from France. The top 20 combined earned 4.4bn euros in revenue, up 3% from last year.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How much do Chelsea get from the CL every season? I'm always surprised how high their revenue is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm sure they're close to breaking even

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

Jose posted:

I'm sure they're close to breaking even

Better than you think.

http://andersred.blogspot.com/2012/02/income-up-costs-down-chelsea-getting-in.html

The overhaul in the wage bill which started with the parting of Carvalho/Ballack/JCole is starting to pay off.

I don't know if Chelsea can generate significant transfer fees this Summer (Kalou, Malouda, Lampard?) to offset any purchases...but whatever purchases are made the focus will be on wage control as we just saw with the Cahill transfer saga.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

w00bi posted:

Better than you think.

http://andersred.blogspot.com/2012/02/income-up-costs-down-chelsea-getting-in.html

The overhaul in the wage bill which started with the parting of Carvalho/Ballack/JCole is starting to pay off.

I don't know if Chelsea can generate significant transfer fees this Summer (Kalou, Malouda, Lampard?) to offset any purchases...but whatever purchases are made the focus will be on wage control as we just saw with the Cahill transfer saga.

I will believe it when I see it though, there is a good chance Roman either fires AVB or decides to buy another Sheva or Torres.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

w00bi posted:

Better than you think.

This is a huge amount of words to say Chelsea are poo poo and not breaking even any time soon

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Breaking even? No. "Fooling" FFP? Possibly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If Abramovich had given it any actual thought the masses of money he spent on Torres and will need to spend again to fix and old squad would have happened before FFP was going to be an issue

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
Not sure where to post this. Can we talk about Premier League online streams anywhere in TRP?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

PaoFerro posted:

Not sure where to post this. Can we talk about Premier League online streams anywhere in TRP?

odd choice of thread but yes, often the match day thread has links in the OP too

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Jose posted:

If Abramovich had given it any actual thought the masses of money he spent on Torres and will need to spend again to fix and old squad would have happened before FFP was going to be an issue

I don't think he gives a poo poo tbh, he'll spend large again this summer because he has too and UEFA won't be able to do anything, maybe they'll fine him a full million pounds.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Jose posted:

Yeah he should have bought more players before the amortization would be counted by FFP.

One important thing to remember is that wages for contracts signed before June 2010 are ignored. So Chelsea get to exclude Cech, Cashley, Essien, Lampard, Drogba, Mikel, Malouda, Kalou and Terry from their FFP losses. They also get to exclude depreciation and any youth development expenses.

So for 2011/12, Chelsea's income will probably be around £220m.

And the only expenses that FFP looks at will be ~£90m-£100m in wages, ~80m in other expenses (minus say £10m for academy costs), and £40-£55m in amortised transfer fees (this is assuming AVB isn't fired). So anywhere from £200m to £225m in expenses.

So as far as the FFP are concerned, Chelsea could be anywhere +£20m to -£5m next season.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I don't understand why anyone still talks about ffp as though it's going to do anything.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Lot 49 posted:

I don't understand why anyone still talks about ffp as though it's going to do anything.

Well, there are quite a few clubs out there that would like to reduce their wage bills, and reducing wage bills is probably the biggest intended effect of FFP (moving money from the hands of players to those of owners).

dilbertschalter fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 10, 2012

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
If and when portsmouth get liquidated, does an extra team get promoted from League 1? And every league beneath that? You know, to keep the numbers even

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

If and when portsmouth get liquidated, does an extra team get promoted from League 1? And every league beneath that? You know, to keep the numbers even

Chelsea 'B's time to shine

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Don't be like that it's a genuine question and it affects my team, The Sheffield Hooters

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

Don't be like that it's a genuine question and it affects my team, The Sheffield Hooters

promote all the yorkshire teams to the prem to guarantee at least one derby every weekend imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

promote all the yorkshire teams to the prem to guarantee at least one derby every weekend imo
this except by prem i mean northern premier league premier division

• Locked thread