Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tags2k
Jul 2, 2004

Dinner parties!
I can't believe some of you already had Ghosthouse on DVD - for personal riffing purposes I hope? Anyway the Rifftrax was fantastic, best purchase I've made so far this year.

In other news, after watching episode 23 of Half in the Bag I am really hoping that Flyin' Ryan gets riffed on soon. Although by the sounds of it, the people involved think it was a good movie so they may not get the rights for VOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Ghosthouse was easily top 5 for me. Felt like an updated MST3k episode and it was glorious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That recent short called Friends was rather weird. I have no clue what the purpose of it was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deadpool posted:

That recent short called Friends was rather weird. I have no clue what the purpose of it was.

There's a bunch of shorts like that from the late 60s onward. I think it had to do with young filmmakers trying to "be more like those guys who made Easy Rider, man, y'know?" And thinking that a rigid structure or having someone actually explaining things to the audience was horrible regressive poo poo. Never mind the results were so goddamn baffling it's a wonder kids learned anything from them, they wanted to be as different from those stodgy fifties educational shorts made for fascists and poo poo as possible.

Basically they're a completely over-the-top reaction to the flaws which we all know and love about the ridiculous Coronet shorts MST3K and Rifftrax got so much mileage from.

Yeah, I'm blaming stereotypical hippies for why those shorts are so baffling, but look at the evidence and tell me I'm not at least partially right.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's a bunch of shorts like that from the late 60s onward. I think it had to do with young filmmakers trying to "be more like those guys who made Easy Rider, man, y'know?" And thinking that a rigid structure or having someone actually explaining things to the audience was horrible regressive poo poo. Never mind the results were so goddamn baffling it's a wonder kids learned anything from them, they wanted to be as different from those stodgy fifties educational shorts made for fascists and poo poo as possible.

Basically they're a completely over-the-top reaction to the flaws which we all know and love about the ridiculous Coronet shorts MST3K and Rifftrax got so much mileage from.

Yeah, I'm blaming stereotypical hippies for why those shorts are so baffling, but look at the evidence and tell me I'm not at least partially right.

One of the weirdest shorts for me was Fad Diet Circus, because how bizarre it was to see the short from the 70s start talking about low carbs and Dr Aktins. I always thought that annoying diet was from the 00's, not all the way back in the 70s.

Also Dr Aktins in the short looked really funky.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

15% off all orders $5 or more in February!

http://www.rifftrax.com/february2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

IUG posted:

15% off all orders $5 or more in February!

http://www.rifftrax.com/february2012

Figures after I spent about 40 dollars last week. Then again, I used a coupon during that sale for Ghost House.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You might be over thinking it. I remember it was explained (maybe in this thread?) that producers got grants for making X educational films, a couple probably had a decent budget but then the rest are left with a shoestring budget, a talent puddle and a crew who probably only ever did commercials if anything.

Of course that doesn't stop one of those bored filmmakers from trying some weird poo poo, and failing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
My god, within 1 minute, Ghosthouse references both Troll 2 and The Room.

This is amazing.

edit: Oh god, I hope Pepe gets killed. gently caress that guy.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 2, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

My god, within 1 minute, Ghosthouse references both Troll 2 and The Room.

This is amazing.

edit: Oh god, I hope Pepe gets killed. gently caress that guy.

How dare you! Pepe is one of the all time great screen characters of our time.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Deadpool posted:

How dare you! Pepe is one of the all time great screen characters of our time.

No, he sucked.

Come to think of it, pretty much everything sucks.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

RagingBoner posted:

No, he sucked.

Come to think of it, pretty much everything sucks.
Snap out of it, man! You're getting the bad movie blues.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

fenix down posted:

Snap out of it, man! You're getting the bad movie blues.

(It's a line from the movie)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pooned posted:

Ghosthouse was easily top 5 for me. Felt like an updated MST3k episode and it was glorious.

I was just thinking this, I bought it yesterday when I saw about the sale. The driving music killed me every time. Feels like good old MST3K to me!

"Ah good, back to the meat of this movie; driving around slowly."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

explosivo posted:

I was just thinking this, I bought it yesterday when I saw about the sale. The driving music killed me every time. Feels like good old MST3K to me!

"Ah good, back to the meat of this movie; driving around slowly."

So much driving and not a killer bird or a soluhpanuh in sight. Sad, really.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

RagingBoner posted:

(It's a line from the movie)
Wow my face is red, I gotta watch it again now.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Are there any other VOD movies that are on par with Ghosthouse?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Pooned posted:

EDIT: This is a bad argument and I am dumb for bringing it up apparently.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 2, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LP97S posted:

I don't know, I just saw Cinematic Titanic live and I don't know which would be the "best" successor to MST3K.
I have not seen cinematic titanic live, or at all for that matter, but I did see Jack the Giant Killer Rifftrax live, and that was one of the most enjoyable theatergoing experiences I have ever had.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LP97S posted:

I don't know, I just saw Cinematic Titanic live and I don't know which would be the "best" successor to MST3K.

Don't do this. Its a stupid debate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LP97S posted:

No. Nothing good can come from this argument. Nothing at all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

therealjon_ posted:

You know those shorts like "What is Nothing?" where there's no point and it's just rambling chaotic madness?

Did you enjoy those shorts?

Because if you mix "What is Nothing?" with a super low budget nature documentary and a super low budget western, the end result is Buffalo Rider, which is hilarious.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

therealjon_ posted:

I mentioned some of this up thread, but Planet of the Dinosaurs, Sons of Hercules, Buffalo Rider, and Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny are all must haves in my opinion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know Mike has said that he doesn't think they should swear in a riff but its still kind of weird in Ghosthouse where Kevin is making a joke about a character's use of the word poo poo and they bleep him. It makes sense bleeping/not swearing when doing the shorts or riffing a PG/13 movie but when they're doing an R rated one where the characters themselves are swearing and/or there's nudity it seems kind of odd.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

muscles like this? posted:

I know Mike has said that he doesn't think they should swear in a riff but its still kind of weird in Ghosthouse where Kevin is making a joke about a character's use of the word poo poo and they bleep him. It makes sense bleeping/not swearing when doing the shorts or riffing a PG/13 movie but when they're doing an R rated one where the characters themselves are swearing and/or there's nudity it seems kind of odd.

I downloaded the Birdemic rifftrax and then some time later I had to redownload it after I reformatted my laptop.

The first time I downloaded it Bill's "Everybody who worked on this is a retard. A retard! Retard! RETARD!" rant was uncensored, but in the new one it's censored :confused:

It seems unnecessary. At least let me choose what I'm gonna be offended by.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I think I remember them saying poo poo, gently caress and bitch in some riffs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I remember reading somewhere that they will use the language in the film as a basis for language in the riff. So no swearing in a PG film riff, but I guess anything in a R rated film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Even in R movies, I don't think they swear that much. I've definitely heard "bullshit" and I think maybe "bitch", but I don't know that I've ever heard them say "gently caress". Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, though.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I don't believe they've ever said "gently caress" in a riff, but I distinctly remember Bill saying "poo poo" in Avatar, in response to Stephen Lang's character uttering the word. (Maybe it was Kevin? I sometimes mix up their voices because I'm a dummy.)

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I remember being thrown off when I heard "batshit" in The Galaxy Invader, but it does seem to be a R-rated feature.

Daealdric
Feb 3, 2012
Rifftrax is the only, ONLY way I will ever watch the Twilight series. Though I am terrified as to what they're going to say in the "birthing" scene.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've seen Twilight more times than some of my friends who actually like the series solely because of Rifftrax. For the same reason I am legitimately excited for this new one to come out on video. I am not proud.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Olivia42 posted:

I've seen Twilight more times than some of my friends who actually like the series solely because of Rifftrax. For the same reason I am legitimately excited for this new one to come out on video. I am not proud.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

A few weeks ago, without thinking about it, I used the phrase "It's like that scene in Twilight where...", much to the shock and confusion of those standing around me.

On that note, it's been a while since I've seen the Twilight riffs and I've got nothing going on today, so...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've gotta say, I've been pretty excited to see Breaking Dawn: Part 1 ever since it came out. Not because I dig the story or anything. In fact, I've read all the books (to prove a point that they're all garbage) and Breaking Dawn is potentially the worst offender of them all. I just can't wait to see the new rear end in a top hat the Rifftrax crew tears it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

muscles like this? posted:

I think it's kinda weird seeing that less than 5 minutes before or so Kevin called one of the characters an rear end in a top hat.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ben Gazzara, star of Mike's favourite movie Road House, has died. :smith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Holy crap, there's a "sequel" to Ghosthouse starring Linda Blair and David Hasselhoff.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
And they're both unofficial sequels to "Evil Dead"! "Ghosthouse" was filmed and released as "La Casa 3" in Italy (with "Evil Dead" 1 and 2 being "La Casa" 1 and 2 in Italy respectively), "Witchcraft" (the Blair/Hasslehoff one) as "La Casa 4". Classy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Robert Denby posted:

And they're both unofficial sequels to "Evil Dead"! "Ghosthouse" was filmed and released as "La Casa 3" in Italy (with "Evil Dead" 1 and 2 being "La Casa" 1 and 2 in Italy respectively), "Witchcraft" (the Blair/Hasslehoff one) as "La Casa 4". Classy.

Yeah. There's enough of those "unofficial sequels", usually made in Italy, around that it's basically a film genre in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
:siren: New riff just announced! :siren:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes, to be released Tuesday, February 14th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQStEeNQWw

• Locked thread