Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

chippy posted:

Neither of those are cockney rhyming slang. In cockney rhyming slang your face is generally known as your boat (boat race), not sure about the ice lolly.

edit: Who did this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slappy%20ham :colbert:

I am aware they aren't. I however wouldn't be surprised if one cheeky Sunday afternoon down the dogs in Wally someone uttered 'cold on the cob' instead of an ice lolly. Especially after a few pints and a bit of coke up ones nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Orv posted:

Sounds like the John McClane catch-phrase for the Die Hard reboot.

Sounds like it came from this Brian Regan bit.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Sounds like it came from this Brian Regan bit.

I was going to comment on how weird and useless a derail this Cockney slang discussion is in the Minecraft thread, then it lead to a Brian Regan bit being posted. I no longer have issues.

To try and steer this on-topic, I play online exclusively these days and playing snapshots in a solo vacuum just doesn't sound appealing, although I like hearing about the changes coming down the pipe with 1.2. Cats in the yard as creeper protection is magical. Has anyone started having fun building tree houses/villages with jungle biomes? Does it make it easier than before? Ewok villages? How have we not seen an Ewok village yet?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Cream posted:

ice lolly

I am not native speaker but this sounds to me like it could be up there on the list with the rest, heh. Also, aren't chips and fries something slightly different? I heard chips are basically short fries, whether the latter are a tad longer.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

lordfrikk posted:

I am not native speaker but this sounds to me like it could be up there on the list with the rest, heh. Also, aren't chips and fries something slightly different? I heard chips are basically short fries, whether the latter are a tad longer.

In Britain, chips are magnificent, walloping great chunky things whose natural habitat should always look something like this:

Conversely, "fries" are a completely American import from what I gather, and are the skinny, anaemic looking things you might find served in one of those horrible McDonald's places, not that I've ever been in one.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

lordfrikk posted:

No, fries are nearly always thinner, but proper chips can be just as long. Longer ever, as their extra thickness means you can use the full length of the spud.

Proper chips are so much better than fries anyway. Especially home cooked ones. gently caress, now I'm hungry ...

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

No, fries are nearly always thinner, but proper chips can be just as long. Longer ever, as their extra thickness means you can use the full length of the spud.

I've probably told this story before but one day I got back from the chippy only to find the king of chips nestling under my haddock - it measured 11 inches, I'm not joking. It was the best chip.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
In America, there are many varieties of french fries. There's "shoestrings," which are the thin, long, ubiquitous ones you brits are lamenting (most people don't use the term "shoestrings," though). Then there's "steak fries," which are thicker (more like what you consider the ideal "chips"). There's curly fries, which are usually seasoned. Then there's waffle-cut fries, crinkle-cut fries, "natural cut" fries with the skin still on, home fries which are pan-fried potato chunks, etc.

So trying to catalog the differences between American fries and British chips is a bit of a difficult venture.

Man, I wish I could someday see one of your faces when you hear of "biscuits and gravy" for the first time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Being Canadian (and a proper one, at that) I'm stuck between not using the words that the Brits do, but definitely using their spelling. It's adds a lot of colour to my sentences, and I'm honoured to be from where I am.

So yeah, Minecraft... I've been suffering from the "bleh, I don't ever want to play this game anymore" syndrome, but I think that finally broke when some dude I know on G+ posted just a simple, serene screenshot of a jungle biome. I think I just might fire it up tonight, build something, and then copy it over so I can use it on a 2-player server, or something.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Man, I wish I could someday see one of your faces when you hear of "biscuits and gravy" for the first time.

I'm fairly sure there are places in the north of Britain where you can dip your Jacob's into a mug of Bisto without anyone batting an eyelid.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 3, 2012

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
^^^ Haha absolutely.

I googled American biscuits and I'm still not sure what they are. They seem to be like savoury scones or something? Or dumplings maybe.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

No one in America uses the word trousers anyway.

Actually, when I was growing up (American), trousers were used as the noun of choice to refer to dress pants, or pants that weren't jeans, khakis and the like. That may be an aberration, but eh.

Pumpking posted:

I googled American biscuits and I'm still not sure what they are. They seem to be like savoury scones or something? Or dumplings maybe.

Not quite. Buttermilk biscuits are their own, amazing beast. They are savory, yeah, and kinda dense like a scone, but the interior is light and flaky, texturally a little like a croissant.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 3, 2012

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pumpking posted:

^^^ Haha absolutely.

They're basically flaky rolls.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Biscuits (US version of course) are really delicious. It's kind of like a croissant in texture, but with a lot less sugar, and they're usually really warm and soft on the inside.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
This thread has turned into "Let's discuss the oddities of British English", which is nice and all, but I'd rather read about Minecraft. Wankers.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I've probably told this story before but one day I got back from the chippy only to find the king of chips nestling under my haddock - it measured 11 inches, I'm not joking. It was the best chip.

You lucky bastard. You lucky, lucky bastard. Those others might not understand, but I do. I envy your good fortune.

You Americans need to also appreciate the sheer artery-clogging beauty of a chip butty. Thick slice of bread slathered in butter (decent malty bread rolls are best, French bread a close second). Stuff into it as many chips as you can. I like to add some baked beans which are the only worthy accompaniment to chips. Smother the whole lot in half a gallon of malt vinegar and salt. As you eat it, you get melted butter, vinegar, chip grease, bean juice, all running down your wrist. It's the best drat thing. The best.

And derail. And I'm still drat hungry.

Did anyone see the screens that the Mojang dude tweeted about the Xbox version? Showed the crafting screen, which was basically a menu of all the items in the game, and it shows you what items you need to craft it. If you have them, you can make one. Seems like a really good way to do it, makes it a recipe book so you don't need to check a bloody wiki, and avoids fannying around dragging items into crafting slots. I approve.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Parkingtigers posted:

Did anyone see the screens that the Mojang dude tweeted about the Xbox version? Showed the crafting screen, which was basically a menu of all the items in the game, and it shows you what items you need to craft it. If you have them, you can make one. Seems like a really good way to do it, makes it a recipe book so you don't need to check a bloody wiki, and avoids fannying around dragging items into crafting slots. I approve.

I don't have access to Twitter at work, mind reposting them here?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have a set of screenshots I'd like to sperg over, but they feature the Walled City mod. I don't know if I should post them here (since they're screenshots) or in the mod thread (since it involves some modded content).

Does anyone know which would be more appropriate?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Pictures make everything better!

Also, re-playing old games gives me GREAT Minecraft building ideas:

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 3, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Holy poo poo. This may be the longest waited for change ever. In 1.2, double doors will actually work as expected, not just be a regular door rotated and opened.

I don't know why this excites me so much.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Cream posted:

Some of it could be cockney rymn. Slappy ham and cold on the cob in particular. The rest just looks like American made up dross.

I assumed "Rooty-Tooty Point and Shooty" was a reference to IHOP's "Rooty Tooty Fresh 'n Fruity" breakfast plate.

Speaking of Minecraft and breakfast,

Jens posted:

I've noticed a trending topic here on twitter. I don't know why, though. In any case, pancakes are not planned at the moment

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

daggerdragon posted:

Pictures make everything better!

You should use imgur or something because http://www.kinkybondagesquirrels.com/ is blocked for me (and possibly others viewing from work). You'll never guess why.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

poemdexter posted:

You should use imgur or something because http://www.kinkybondagesquirrels.com/ is blocked for me (and possibly others viewing from work). You'll never guess why.

I love my domain name :D Anyway, edited the original post just for you.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
hey hey guys, can I sell this yet you think.........?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Bicehunter posted:

hey hey guys, can I sell this yet you think.........?

What the gently caress did you even do? :psyduck:

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

What the gently caress did you even do? :psyduck:

I'm making x-craft, a x-com clone with destructible blocks! This should get all nerds of new and old to throw money at me / the screen (as they say on the internet).

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I have no idea what's going on there, but I want to try it

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'd enjoy a Dungeon Keeper clone that works in a similar way to Minecraft, truth be told. I was never much of an X-Com fan. But it looks like it could be fun, once you get some proper textures :v:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Bicehunter posted:

I'm making x-craft, a x-com clone with destructible blocks! This should get all nerds of new and old to throw money at me / the screen (as they say on the internet).

I've never played x-com, but I wouldn't mind playing some more focused space adventurer dynamic block world thing.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Meh, I'm just playing around now trying to optimize the "voxel engine" that currently truth to be told is slow. Atleast I have mip-mapping turned on. I may/may not post here when I've actually have something that is not poo poo to show. If that ever happens.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bicehunter posted:

...I'm just playing around now trying to optimize...

Whoa there! Haven't you learned anything from Notch? Stop optimizing right now and sell that poo poo. And then never optimize. Also make sure you accidentally include the n-word at least three times.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Polo-Rican posted:

Whoa there! Haven't you learned anything from Notch? Stop optimizing right now and sell that poo poo. And then never optimize. Also make sure you accidentally include the n-word at least three times.

And then have your fans slip it in two times more!

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Cauldron Moose posted:

Every time i see that picture I have to really wonder which of those actually get believed. I'd like to think people are smart enough to realise the fakes, but...

The British have some very silly names for thing so it's sometimes difficult.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

The British have some very silly names for thing so it's sometimes difficult.

Can you name some of these things.

daggerdragon posted:

You were beaten a few pages back with this, I'm afraid.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Penguingo posted:

You were beaten a few pages back with this, I'm afraid.

Well, I wasn't getting inspiration to make all of Hyrule, just that little fountain area that can easily be plopped on my front lawn.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Penguingo posted:

Lorry, biscuit, knickers, fanny, chips, boot, bonnet, flat.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

Lorry, biscuit, knickers, fanny, chips, boot, bonnet, flat.

Courgettes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

Courgettes.

Aubergine.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Penguingo posted:

'Pants' as an adjective.

Adbot