Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

$30 on its way to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic Pickle
Sep 27, 2009
And $25 from me... Amazing to see this is at nearly 4x the initial goal!

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
$50 from me. Finally, a clear look at Torgo. It's like finding out there is a clear transfer of the bigfoot footage.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Threw you $25 last week. Looking forward to the final result!

You are a god among goons, sir.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Atarian posted:

$50 from me. Finally, a clear look at Torgo. It's like finding out there is a clear transfer of the bigfoot footage.

Er, well.. http://www.bigfootencounters.com/films/stabilized.htm

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ben Solo posted:

It seems that, in a cost cutting measure, Manos: The Hands of Fate had been shot on 16mm reversal stock and edited using that same stock. From that, a 35mm blow-up internegative had been made and theatrical prints had been produced from that internegative in turn. Audiences at the time would have been watching a copy of a copy, and along the way cheap labwork had cropped the image and compromised the color.

Sorry if this has already been covered but - how is this different from the normal edit process? I kinda figure you'd edit on a safety copy and the actual theatrical prints would be a couple of generations out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This all feels like some weird but strangely cool Western

Ext. town - Day

A mysterious rider on horseback strode quietly into town. Though he had a hat draped over his eyes to shield himself from the sun's rays, and the unwanted attention from any who would have him dead, he is fooling nobody and can be identified a mile away. He is Ben Solo, salvager. The locals gathered around him in awe. A child on crutches approached the rider.

BOY
Y...you the one who's gonna save Manos?

BEN SOLO
drat right kid, now where can a guy get some water around here?

Jebidiah steps forward, the man who runs the general store

JEB
There's a pump around back behind my general store. Hasn't been used in ages, but all y'all gotta do is give it a kickstart

Just then a man in black stepped forward, neck of beard. He is Rupert, maker of the sequel.

RUPERT
Not so fast kid, you ain't the only one in this town's got a map to the treasure of Manos. You know who I am? I'm the guy's gonna make the sequel. And you ain't going in the credits

:spergin:
:goonsay:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I just read the front page. OP, if you'd like to have the film shown in Australia when its been restored please let me know. I'm friends with people who run both the Mu Meson Archives (http://mumeson.org/), a tiny cinema that shows b-movies and old films, and the Chauvel Cinema (http://www.palacecinemas.com.au/cinemas/chauvel/) (which does something similar).

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

hyperhazard posted:

Congrats on your place of honor! http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/manos-restoration-project.php :dance:

That would explain why this happened on Kickstarter:

Did I mention you guys are the best?

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered but - how is this different from the normal edit process? I kinda figure you'd edit on a safety copy and the actual theatrical prints would be a couple of generations out.

It's not far off, but most workprints at the time would have just been a black and white dupe. What we have to work with here is a combination of honest-to-goodness original camera material and nice reversal dupes. A lucky break, because it means this Ektachrome workprint is an accurate representation of the original image. I think it's likely that the film was edited at a TV station by someone who was accustomed to handling local news footage as-is.

In the workprint, the only shot in black and white is the stock footage of the Rattlesnake. It'll have to be sourced from the theatrical print unless I can figure out where it originated (some claim it's from a Disney nature film, but that might just be a rumor).

Count Chocula posted:

I just read the front page. OP, if you'd like to have the film shown in Australia when its been restored please let me know. I'm friends with people who run both the Mu Meson Archives (http://mumeson.org/), a tiny cinema that shows b-movies and old films, and the Chauvel Cinema (http://www.palacecinemas.com.au/cinemas/chauvel/) (which does something similar).

Sounds great! Contact me via Kickstarter or at master(at)manosinhd.com.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

Ben Solo posted:

In the workprint, the only shot in black and white is the stock footage of the Rattlesnake. It'll have to be sourced from the theatrical print unless I can figure out where it originated (some claim it's from a Disney nature film, but that might just be a rumor).

Why don't you use the theatrical print to colorize the workprint?

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
Just saw this on the front page. This... is amazing. :10bux: :20bux: :20bux: from me!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's over $40,000 now ($40,136 at the moment)! Well done for doing such a successful project.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
Congratulations!

You are now an official backer of MANOS: The Restoration.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
:drac: 666 Backers! :cthulhu: Truly Manos wills it! :zombie:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

You know this means we're entitled to four individual Manos restorations now, don't you?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The restoration has now raised more than double the original $19,000 budget of the film!

(Not inflation-adjusted, admittedly - $19k in 1966 is the equivalent of $126k in 2010 dollars - but it still sounds amazing.)

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Finally got my paycheck yesterday, paid $50 just in time!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've been stalking this thread for a while now, and between my tax return and year end bonus I'm proud to donate some of my hard earned cash to fund this amazing project. You're awesome. Keep on doing what you're doing!

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

Similarly, the Tribal Theatre crew in Brisbane would jump at a chance to screen Manos for one of their Weird Wednesday doubles.

Glad that this thread made the front-page, perused it from time to time but wouldn't have heard about the Kickstarter otherwise. Add me to the list of $50 backers.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Talas posted:

"Hands: Las Manos del Destino" :ese:

I would help translate it, but there's already a translation around if I recall correctly.

Yeah, it would be nice just to check if it has missing lines or anything else. Someone posted the link for it somewhere.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, it would be nice just to check if it has missing lines or anything else. Someone posted the link for it somewhere.
It was two pages ago :doh:

http://www.archive.org/details/ManosTheHandsofFate

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

So how are you determining how the names will appear in the credits for supporters? The name I go by isn't my legal name, so I'd prefer it if it showed up in the credits differently. Also, I've moved since I donated. How are you determining shipping for the things you get from donating?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
As of right now, Ben is going to have to have 704 Manos pins made. Though that's assuming everyone that donates gets one, and everyone that has donated has claimed an incentive. Of course, that number will grow by the time the campaign period is actually done. You're going to have to make a lot of trips to the post office (or one big one). Did you expect it to get this big, Ben?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, I work for a company that produces pins if you want a price quote.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
I donated $25 a couple weeks ago, but just upped it to $50. I'm going to sound like a greedy schmuck asking this, but does the $50 pledge get the pin and t shirt too? I ask because the $50 pledge is the only one that doesn't say, basically, 'above rewards, as well as...'

...I really want a Manos shirt

RubeTube
Jun 18, 2008

100Dachshunds posted:

I donated $25 a couple weeks ago, but just upped it to $50. I'm going to sound like a greedy schmuck asking this, but does the $50 pledge get the pin and t shirt too? I ask because the $50 pledge is the only one that doesn't say, basically, 'above rewards, as well as...'

...I really want a Manos shirt
It's in the FAQ:

Ben Solo posted:

Does the $50 level get me the pin and the t-shirt as well as the Blu-ray?

Yes, you will receive all rewards underneath your chosen level.
You will be clad in Manos garb soon enough!

I don't think I've posted in this thread to say it, but this is an amazing project and you're doing fantastic work, Ben. Thank you for posting updates; it's really fun to watch things come together.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Let's go old-school:
Hands: Las Manos del Sino.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I hope that it reaches 45,000 in the next 20 hours, for arbitrary reasons :3:

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All right, I finally pulled the trigger in the last few hours. I've been stationed at Fort Bliss in El Paso for a few years now, and it seems a fitting way to pay the the city back during my last year here.

Can't wait to torture my wife with the final product. :allears:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Jumping in at the last minute with $50.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
If I had the $50 I'd donate it a heartbeat. Instead I'll just root from sidelines. Shine on you crazy diamond :patriot:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I have no idea how I missed this wonderful, wonderful thread until now. Got my $25 in just under the deadline. The Something Awful Forums never cease to amaze me with things like this.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Ah, what the hell, went ahead and bumped my pledge up. If everyone gave an extra $5, it would make it to $50,000 tonight. That's insane. :)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Finally dropped 50$ for this just before the final bell. So psyched.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I'm considering the $50 I just chipped in a birthday present for myself. Glad to be a part of this.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
About 40 minutes to go and counting down, and already at $47,955. What an amazing ride this has been!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Third HD clip is up!

http://vimeo.com/36129621

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Funding Successful
This project successfully raised its funding goal 1 minute ago.

$48,130/$10,000

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
With 818 backers, the average pledge is more than $50! I bet the median is $50, though.

• Locked thread