Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Those eunuchs have too much facial hair.

edit: this is the best post to start a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

That bald guy looks like Varys.

Dirty, dirty, hoors.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I always pictured Belwas as a fat version of Xerxes from 300.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Since I doubleposted I am going to take this moment to expound on the stirring role heraldry and feudal lordship plays in the heartland of Westeros, one of my favorite aspects, so

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 4, 2012

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

whowhatwhere posted:

I want the series to end with Littlefinger throwing Lysa out the Moon Door.

This is what should happen. Lysa outs Littlefinger's secret. Sansa's eyes widen. The camera pans to his face. A slow smile. Fade to black.

fin

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
....drat. That is better, because it would also piss off most of the people who actually read the drat things.

Of course, I would be one of those people.

I am no True WILDCARD :negative:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
HBO's not gonna kill it after 4 seasons. They let a show about a giant penis that nobody watched run for three years, and GoT is their #2 show with the expectations of True Blood level viewer increases for S2. If they let TB run loose with witches and ghosts for two years, I'm sure they won't have a problem with GoT spinning its wheels for ten weeks.

E: Speaking of TB, for as sophisticated as HBO's audience like to think they are, they lap that dumb poo poo up, no matter how inane it gets. They probably wouldn't even notice a dip in the quality of the story.

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 4, 2012

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Arms_Akimbo posted:

HBO's not gonna kill it after 4 seasons. They let a show about a giant penis that nobody watched run for three years, and GoT is their #2 show with the expectations of True Blood level viewer increases for S2. If they let TB run loose with witches and ghosts for two years, I'm sure they won't have a problem with GoT spinning its wheels for ten weeks.

E: Speaking of TB, for as sophisticated as HBO's audience like to think they are, they lap that dumb poo poo up, no matter how inane it gets. They probably wouldn't even notice a dip in the quality of the story.

Part of True Blood's charm is how insane and ridiculous it is. It's a soap opera set in Louisiana with vampires and werewolves and fairies and poo poo. There's sex and magic and plots that make absolutely no loving sense. True Blood is magnificent and I will fight to the true death whoever disagrees. :colbert:

I expect even with GoT running out of actual plot...well, there's always tits and gore. And lemoncakes. If I don't get about a zillion repeats of "Words are wind" and "You know nothing, Jon Snow" I will loving rage.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Is he the bald dude in the trailer?

No that's Nonso Anozie as Xaro Xhoan Daxos. Which I find really weird. Not cause he's black, but because everyone around him is white. I figured they'd add some ethnicity to Qarth, but no, random black dude.

That said he plays aloof authority figures well. If anyone saw RocknRolla, he was the character Tank, which I imagine is the way he'll be playing Xaro.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

empty sea posted:

If I don't get about a zillion repeats of "Words are wind" and "You know nothing, Jon Snow" I will loving rage.
Actually it will be "You knew nothing, Jon Snow" from now on, in his obituary and eulogy and such.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Dazerbeams posted:

That bald guy looks like Varys.

Dirty, dirty, hoors.

When Belwas first showed up in the books I thought it was Varys in disguise. :(

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

empty sea posted:

Part of True Blood's charm is how insane and ridiculous it is. It's a soap opera set in Louisiana with vampires and werewolves and fairies and poo poo. There's sex and magic and plots that make absolutely no loving sense. True Blood is magnificent and I will fight to the true death whoever disagrees. :colbert:

I expect even with GoT running out of actual plot...well, there's always tits and gore. And lemoncakes. If I don't get about a zillion repeats of "Words are wind" and "You know nothing, Jon Snow" I will loving rage.

Here's to 20 pages of script and dialogue containing either "Words are wind", "You know nothing, Jon Snow!", and "Dark wings dark words" or however that one went. I read it so many times my brain is thinking of ways to variate the last one.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Joramun posted:

Actually it will be "You knew nothing, Jon Snow" from now on, in his obituary and eulogy and such.

Well, he knows now what lies within that undiscovered country to which all men must one day journey.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I'll just leave this charm right here.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61652-ranking-the-kingdoms-by-powerinfluence/

ASOIAF Forums posted:

Members

941 posts
Posted Yesterday, 07:12 PM
In fact, the northernmost forest on earth occurs at about 72 degrees latitude. If you estimate the Haunted Forest at about 800 miles from north to south, then it means the Wall would be at roughly 60 degrees latitude.

And if you estimate the Neck to be about 1200 miles south of the Wall, then it means the area between the Wall and the Neck stretches roughly from 60 degrees latitude down to about 45 degrees latitude. In the real world, 45 degrees latitude passes well south of Germany, through France, Italy, Croatia, Kazakstan and roughly through the border between Montana and Wyoming.

So clearly, the North is far south of Alaska.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
There's...really nothing youc an say to that. What the hell, fandom. What the hell.

empty sea posted:

True Blood is magnificently poo poo

Now you can have some self respect. You're welcome.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

All three of those guys look like the same guy.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61652-ranking-the-kingdoms-by-powerinfluence/

Of course to countersperg, I would note that he is mentioning a list of European countries warmed by the gulf-stream, followed by 2 US states. Winterfell is basically where Calgary is climate wise so crazy long winters aside, the north is a pretty inhospitable place and I say this as a Minnesotan living pretty much dot on the 45th parallel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Obviously ASOIAF takes place on a ringworld that is in a 2 star solar system with a highly elliptical orbit and also a wizard did it.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

Obviously ASOIAF takes place on a ringworld that is in a 2 star solar system with a highly elliptical orbit and also a wizard did it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61674-world-flat-or-round/

quote:

Well from a few things that i have read on this forum I think that this world could either be flat or round and about twice the size of earth

If the world is flat then the sun and the sky and everything up there would be just an allusion and the land is just endless

Though if the world is round my theory is that it is a lot bigger than what we think and functions like our world. I think the equator could be about where Sothoros is and from there it goes downwards, meaning we have only seen half of the world. In my eyes they are the only two logical ways it can work and that also means that there could be a lot more land and a lot more stories

So what is your opinion on all this

SAME GUY FROM MY LAST POST'S QUOTE!!! posted:

The world is round. And it is slightly larger than Earth. This has been confirmed by Martin himself.

Based on the climate, the Equator would be roughly where Sothoryos is, with 60 degrees latitude running roughly through the Wall, and the Neck lying roughly at 45 degrees latitude.

The distance from the Neck to the equator would therefore be 3 times the distance from the Neck to the Wall. Meaning about 3600 miles.

Since the south coast of Dorne lies about 1500 miles south of the Neck, it means that the equator lies about 2000 miles south of Dorne.

Se we have:

60 degrees latitude - the Wall
45 degrees latitude - the Neck
25 degrees latitude - the coast of Dorne
0 degrees latitude - the equator, Sothoryos

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

IRQ posted:

A wizard did it really is the best answer and the one with the most retention of dignity. The elliptical nature of the orbit has nothing to do with the seasons, seasons are caused by the tilt of the plant's axis and the resulting angle of sunlight hitting the planet, the planet on which Westeros is located clearly has 2 or more axes of rotation, one roughly up-down with a period in line with an orbit around the sun and another, more eccentric axis which causes the the crazy summers and winters lasting decades. Spergs aren't even sperging about the right sperging things. Spergs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm still sticking with my theory that gently caress it, it's magical and the north pole is ice and the south pole is fire, and the seasons are the battle between them as they wax and wane.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The 700 ft. Wall that defends the Realm against the Others: a wizard did it.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 5, 2012

Chipolte_Away
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, Life is Hilariously Cruel
Fan of Britches

bigmcgaffney posted:

I always pictured Belwas as a fat version of Xerxes from 300.

Me too.

How will HBO class up the climax of his duel outside the city gates? A CGI fecal event?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chipolte_Away posted:

Me too.

How will HBO class up the climax of his duel outside the city gates? A CGI fecal event?

They don't need CGI for poo poo if they have GRRM on set.

They just literally have to make him write about football and BAM no more need for expensive CGI. They immediately acquire tonnes of stinky, worthless poo poo for his readers Dany's special agents to crawl through.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 5, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

MikeJF posted:

I'm still sticking with my theory that gently caress it, it's magical and the north pole is ice and the south pole is fire, and the seasons are the battle between them as they wax and wane.

That was GRRM's actual answer (gently caress if I'm going to look it up). There's no bizarre orbits or rotations explaining it.

Seriously, this is not a guy with a firm grasp of how a world works. Why the gently caress would anybody think there's some scientific solution?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

whowhatwhere posted:

That was GRRM's actual answer (gently caress if I'm going to look it up). There's no bizarre orbits or rotations explaining it.

Seriously, this is not a guy with a firm grasp of how a world works. Why the gently caress would anybody think there's some scientific solution?

I think GRRM still believes you can land spacecraft on Jupiter, but we should give credit to him. Reading Game of Thrones, he used repetition of tactics that was similar to medieval Europe for this time (e.g. Milk of the Poppy) and had basic research/understanding of culture and tactics. As the series progresses, he still uses repetition of those things (possibly for filler) but does seem like he is researching more (e.g. The Pale Mare descriptions)

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 5, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Honestly, unless you're writing the hardest of sci-fi, most of your audience will accept "Its as big as I need it to be."

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

mind the walrus posted:

What is the Wall's policy on gay sex anyway, surely they've found at least one or two black brothers brothering each other's blacks at some point.
Maybe if the Watch had followed the example of the Sacred Band of Thebes, they wouldn't be constantly killing one another.

Dead Man Posting posted:

The 700 ft. Wall that defends the Realm against the Others: a wizard did it.
No, I bet it was Bob the Builder who created it; the Westerossi simply misheard his name.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Factor_VIII posted:

Maybe if the Watch had followed the example of the Sacred Band of Thebes, they wouldn't be constantly killing one another.

No, I bet it was Bob the Builder who created it; the Westerossi simply misheard his name.

Azhor Azhai reborn is Bob the Builder who survived his death and the thousands of years in between by warging into a bulldozer that is buried under Winterfell

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

run DNC posted:

Azhor Azhai reborn is Bob the Builder who survived his death and the thousands of years in between by warging into a bulldozer that is buried under Winterfell
In WoW Qyburn will no doubt dig up what the bulldozer and transform it into a Killdozer. Of course it will then go on a rampage across the North and end up knocking down the Wall. :killdozer:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

crazypeltast52 posted:

A wizard did it really is the best answer and the one with the most retention of dignity. The elliptical nature of the orbit has nothing to do with the seasons, seasons are caused by the tilt of the plant's axis and the resulting angle of sunlight hitting the planet, the planet on which Westeros is located clearly has 2 or more axes of rotation, one roughly up-down with a period in line with an orbit around the sun and another, more eccentric axis which causes the the crazy summers and winters lasting decades. Spergs aren't even sperging about the right sperging things. Spergs.

whatever, sperg

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

nuncle jimbo posted:

whatever, sperg

Nuncle

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

This whole discussion about the shape/size/rotation/seasons is about as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

Words are wind, you guys, you leal serjeants of spergery. Let's all just settle down and have many and more lemoncakes and lamprey pies.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

hailthefish posted:

This whole discussion about the shape/size/rotation/seasons is about as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

Words are wind, you guys, you leal serjeants of spergery. Let's all just settle down and have many and more lemoncakes and lamprey pies.

Dark wings, dark words, we were just japing is all. You know nothing John Snow.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Dark wings, dark words, we were just japing is all. You know nothing John Snow.
Socrates is well known for having said "I know one thing, that I know nothing". Is GRRM trying to present Jon Snow as an in-universe equivalent to Socrates by emphasizing Jon's ignorance?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Socrates is well known for having said "I know one thing, that I know nothing".

Come on, admit that you only know this because the latest SMBC comic paraphrases it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So, for the record, can I get clarification of who we think might be Azor Ahai?

Possible :

Zombie-Jon
Daenerys
Doulbe-Zombie Beric
Thoros
Wun Wun
Ser Pounce

Definitely not :

Stannis
lemonjape

That about right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zombie Cat?

I'd be fine with Arya just rolling around killing everyone though.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'll be happy when Arya starts murdering everyone to get revenge just like she's not supposed to as a Faceless Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think Zombie Jon has a meeting with power somehow connected to Winterfell given the flashbacks of Ned in GoT, the young fine gentlement in my avatar placing Jon as heir until Bran/Rickon come of age, and Jon remembering (and ultimately forgetting) his oath as a Night's Watch. On a book club context, we see Ned being more of a father figure and Jon being the son, rather than Rob, in the series.

Zombie cat has another purpose that probably is related to the Twins and the safety of her remaining children, also tied to the Kingslayer who is operating in the same region and going off to see her anyways.

Daenarys's plot got interesting with her brother now in the picture for a throne contender. Pretty sure she will win out in the end and will become Queen of the World and savior of the North. Her dragons are needed to slay the Others, afterall, and eventually once she wins the West, she'll reconquer the East and abolish slavery, her name will be remembered for ages, etc. etc.

Zombie Beric seems more like a Champion of Azor Ahai like Zombie Cat.

I forgot who Thoros is so he must be pretty unimportant. Is he a red priest?

Wun Wun I forgot as well.

Ser Pounce I remember and seems to be the only obvious choice left for being Azor Ahai.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 6, 2012