Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
So I'm a little late to the PS3 party, but how is FF13? After playing through 7 8, and 9 again thanks to the PSN I am looking for something similar to waste time on. I've been reading some of the reviews (trying to minimize spoilers) and they all seem really, really mixed. Personally I loved every FF until 10, which wasn't terrible exactly, but I never did finish it. Is this along the same lines? I guess my favorite was 8 because of the really deep junctioning system, which imo was a lot more interesting than "kill things, level up, repeat".

I'm already planning to pick up Demon's Souls too since it is cheap, but I figure I'd grab a more casual RPG to help vent my inevitable rage, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Honey Badger posted:

So I'm a little late to the PS3 party, but how is FF13?

According to the FFXIII-2 thread, skip 13 and get 13-2.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Honey Badger posted:

So I'm a little late to the PS3 party, but how is FF13? After playing through 7 8, and 9 again thanks to the PSN I am looking for something similar to waste time on. I've been reading some of the reviews (trying to minimize spoilers) and they all seem really, really mixed. Personally I loved every FF until 10, which wasn't terrible exactly, but I never did finish it. Is this along the same lines? I guess my favorite was 8 because of the really deep junctioning system, which imo was a lot more interesting than "kill things, level up, repeat".

I'm already planning to pick up Demon's Souls too since it is cheap, but I figure I'd grab a more casual RPG to help vent my inevitable rage, as well.

FF13 is it's own monster. You're in a pretty hallway for 20 hours, go in one open field, and you're back to hallways. All fights for the first 1/3 (20 hours or so) can be won by pressing X, then you get more than 3 teammates and can make up your own squad. You'll switch between different formations between buffing/debuffing, healing, and attacking and you'll be doing that 'til the end. The story is conventional, convoluted FF fare, no towns, no options, no NPC's, and like FFX and on, you have to hear the characters talk.

You can probably get it super cheap, but it's still asking a lot for all the time it asks of you.

Try Valkyria Chronicles or Vagrant Story if you haven't.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

FF13 is it's own monster. You're in a pretty hallway for 20 hours, go in one open field, and you're back to hallways. All fights for the first 1/3 (20 hours or so) can be won by pressing X, then you get more than 3 teammates and can make up your own squad. You'll switch between different formations between buffing/debuffing, healing, and attacking and you'll be doing that 'til the end. The story is conventional, convoluted FF fare, no towns, no options, no NPC's, and like FFX and on, you have to hear the characters talk.

You can probably get it super cheap, but it's still asking a lot for all the time it asks of you.

Try Valkyria Chronicles or Vagrant Story if you haven't.

Thanks, good to know. Might pass on it then. I do have Vagrant Story too, great game even after all this time. I'd heard about Valkyria Chronicles, but isn't it more of a strategy type game than an RPG? Then again, I also really enjoyed FF Tactics and Advanced Wars and stuff so maybe it would be up my alley.

At least most of these games are really cheap now.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

Thanks, good to know. Might pass on it then. I do have Vagrant Story too, great game even after all this time. I'd heard about Valkyria Chronicles, but isn't it more of a strategy type game than an RPG? Then again, I also really enjoyed FF Tactics and Advanced Wars and stuff so maybe it would be up my alley.

At least most of these games are really cheap now.

Valkyria Chronicles is kind of its own thing - it's a bit like X-COM, but it's not, and it has RPG trappings, and just play it already.

Actually take a look for yourself and see if it's something you might fancy. Worked for me.

edit: Picked a better video.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
FFXIII-2 is so loving good that I recommend blasting through 13 to get to it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Honey Badger posted:

So I'm a little late to the PS3 party, but how is FF13?
Download the demo for 13-2 off of PSN, if you enjoy the battle system you'll have fun with regular 13 too. 13's more linear, but the combat's close enough to give you an idea.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mug posted:

From reports it sounds like the plot of 13-2 is complete horse-poo poo whether you played 13 or not, in that case skipping 13 seems fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mug posted:

Why? You don't need to know what the story line is, because it is completely nonsensical in both.

In fact just skip both games, they both suck. If you absolutely have to buy 13-2, wait until it drops down in price, like 13 did. That game was under $30 within a few months. 13-2 still suffers the same problems as 13, completely lifeless gameworld with very wooden characters, no real NPC interaction, combat is just press X non-stop, and feels very disconnected.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 6, 2012

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Is there a list of PS3 games that allow at least 6 player multiplayer all in the one room on one PS3?

Other than Sports games that is as we have them covered. PSN games are good as well.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Fists Up posted:

Is there a list of PS3 games that allow at least 6 player multiplayer all in the one room on one PS3?

Other than Sports games that is as we have them covered. PSN games are good as well.

According to co-optimus the PS3 has 3 games that allow 6+ local: Beatles Rock Band, NHL 10, and Rock Band 3. PSN only has X-Men Arcade. Not sure how up to date those lists are but I don't think I've seen very many myself.

VVV Yep, Beatles allows the 3 main instruments with 3 singers. RB3 is the same plus the keyboard.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 6, 2012

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Jjaarreett posted:

According to co-optimus the PS3 has 3 games that allow 6+ local: Beatles Rock Band, NHL 10, and Rock Band 3. PSN only has X-Men Arcade. Not sure how up to date those lists are but I don't think I've seen very many myself.

Im not holding out for many but I know for a fact that you can do it in all the FIFA games.

Im guessing Rock Band would be with 3 singers?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Found a list buried somewhere. I cannot attest to its accuracy.

pre:
FIFA 08 (7) (coop and versus)
FIFA 09 (7) (coop and versus)
FIFA 10 (7) (coop and versus) 
Madden NFL 08 (7) (coop and versus)
Madden NFL 09 (7) (coop and versus)
Madden NFL 10 (7) (coop and versus) 
Euro 2008 (7) (coop and versus) 
Fifa Street 3 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA live 08 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA live 09 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA 2K8 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA 2K9 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA Street Homecourt (7) coop and versus)
High Velocity Bowling (8 hotseated)
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 (6 versus)
WWE smackDown vs. Raw 2009 (6 versus)
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010 (6 versus)  
Burnout Paradise (8 hotseated- party pack required
Singstar  (2 co-op) (8 versus)
Singstar Vol 2 (2 co-op)(8 versus)
Singstar ABBA (2 co-op) (8 versus)
Bomberman Ultra(7)
Buzz Quiz TV (8)

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I've never actually toyed around with it, but I'm pretty sure Rock Band 3's limit is 7 players in All Instruments mode or something. I think it doesn't score singers though? There's something weird about it, but if you've got seven people sitting around playing videogames you're probably making your own fun and aren't too worried about points.

Should be Guitar/Bass/Drums/Keyboard/Harmonies (three singers).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That reminds me. I pretty much need to buy a Rock Band 2 setup plus a keyboard to do Rock Band 3, right? there was never a bundle, was there?

I have 2 on the wii, but... ehhhhh. I really want to get back into Rock Band, but I want it in HD and would prefer it on the PS3 instead of loving around on the wii [plus I want to play with my friends, who all have it on ps3]

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Just looking around a bit it doesn't look like a Rock Band 3 bundle came out a while after the fact and I know around release there being no bundle was a pretty big thing. As long as you don't care about Pro Guitar you can just grab a RB2 bundle and a keyboard and you'll be set, yeah. I don't know how cheap you can find them though, looking around Amazon it doesn't look like the prices have plummeted.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Found a list buried somewhere. I cannot attest to its accuracy.

pre:
FIFA 08 (7) (coop and versus)
FIFA 09 (7) (coop and versus)
FIFA 10 (7) (coop and versus) 
Madden NFL 08 (7) (coop and versus)
Madden NFL 09 (7) (coop and versus)
Madden NFL 10 (7) (coop and versus) 
Euro 2008 (7) (coop and versus) 
Fifa Street 3 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA live 08 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA live 09 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA 2K8 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA 2K9 (7) (coop and versus)
NBA Street Homecourt (7) coop and versus)
High Velocity Bowling (8 hotseated)
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 (6 versus)
WWE smackDown vs. Raw 2009 (6 versus)
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010 (6 versus)  
Burnout Paradise (8 hotseated- party pack required
Singstar  (2 co-op) (8 versus)
Singstar Vol 2 (2 co-op)(8 versus)
Singstar ABBA (2 co-op) (8 versus)
Bomberman Ultra(7)
Buzz Quiz TV (8)

Anyone know whats up with how the burnout paradise one would work?

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Fists Up posted:

Anyone know whats up with how the burnout paradise one would work?

You play one after the other so you only need one controller. You get tasks like whoever does the most barrel rolls in 1 minute and then it switches to another activity.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On the topic of FFXIII-2, I've only played the demo but is it just me or have the graphics gotten worse? I mean, it was a terrible demo overall with QTEs in the middle of fights and an end boss totally unbalanced to the rest of the game, but the graphics definitely stuck out at me as being particularly shoddy in comparison to XIII.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Question Mark Mound posted:

On the topic of FFXIII-2, I've only played the demo but is it just me or have the graphics gotten worse? I mean, it was a terrible demo overall with QTEs in the middle of fights and an end boss totally unbalanced to the rest of the game, but the graphics definitely stuck out at me as being particularly shoddy in comparison to XIII.

I haven't played it, but in a review I read the graphics are noticeably worse specifically because you're in maps with directions other than forward.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What bugs me the most in FF13-2 isn't the actual graphics themselves but the framerate. After playing SC5 for a while, FF13-2 feels like it lags substantially, especially during cutscenes with a lot of Standard Final Fantasy Pyrefly Effects.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I haven't played it, but in a review I read the graphics are noticeably worse specifically because you're in maps with directions other than forward.
Wow, so FF13 was basically programmed like a rail shooter?

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
It's not just the graphics. The character animations, particularly in battle, are worse in 13-2. The models do that "snap-to" thing where they move from one stance to a totally different stance without having to go through the intermediate motions. It's really jarring.

I thought FF13 was a so-so romp, but the 13-2 demo killed it for me. I just don't give a poo poo about pokemons or a cutesy moogle sidekicks kupo. And I'm definitely not going to put up with it to play a bunch of strung-together sidequests only to get TO BE CONTINUED at the end.

Just get Valkyria Chronicles, an actual Good Game and play that instead.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

This Jacket Is Me posted:

It's not just the graphics. The character animations, particularly in battle, are worse in 13-2. The models do that "snap-to" thing where they move from one stance to a totally different stance without having to go through the intermediate motions. It's really jarring.

I thought FF13 was a so-so romp, but the 13-2 demo killed it for me. I just don't give a poo poo about pokemons or a cutesy moogle sidekicks kupo. And I'm definitely not going to put up with it to play a bunch of strung-together sidequests only to get TO BE CONTINUED at the end.

Wow, I thought you meant end of the demo, not the loving game, gently caress that poo poo. The tiniest, slimmest margin of interest I had seems about gone now.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just how bad is the story anyway? I read an article from someone who had previously interviewed the game's director had written and it seems that even he (the director) couldn't give an explanation why changing stuff in the future will change the past.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just how bad is the story anyway? I read an article from someone who had previously interviewed the game's director had written and it seems that even he (the director) couldn't give an explanation why changing stuff in the future will change the past.

This is pretty clearly explained in the game. Also the story is pretty okay and the gameplay is great so do whatever I guess.

Edit: to briefly explain your characters go into the future and kill monsters/fix problems that exist simultaneously at all points in time, destroying them at any point in history removes them from the entire timeline, rewriting history. Three balls on a cliff etc.

Mug fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 6, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Pretty much this. Final Fantasy isn't a game series to get excited over anymore, not enough to pay $60 for at least. Between those complaints and the fact that the combat really has barely changed at all, and the world isn't that much linear than before, it just isn't worth playing.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
If you think 13-2 is only slightly less linear than 13 I don't know what the gently caress you've been playing. Either you found a shitload more open areas in 13, or your copy of 13-2 is broken.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I haven't played FF13 or FF13-2 and I don't really like JRPGs either, but watching reviews for the games makes the combat look pretty fun and it looks gorgeous too. I wish they'd make a game where it's literally just the combat system and everything else is stripped out, I'd probably buy it.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Fists Up posted:

Pixeljunk Racers (if that does not count as a sports game). With 7 people playing it is actually a lot of fun.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

I haven't played FF13 or FF13-2 and I don't really like JRPGs either, but watching reviews for the games makes the combat look pretty fun and it looks gorgeous too. I wish they'd make a game where it's literally just the combat system and everything else is stripped out, I'd probably buy it.
If you really do enjoy the look of the combat, be warned that you have to put a lot of hours into 13 to unlock all of the paradigms and open some of the more interesting skills. I haven't played 13-2, so I don't know if you start from scratch or not.

Like others have said, if you want to give 13-2 a try, waiting a couple of months for the inevitable price drop might be worth it.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

MUFFlNS posted:

From the reviews I've read that seems to be exactly what FF13 is. Super, super linear, story is there as filler, no towns or NPCs, just a really streamlined combat system that alot of the reviews really like. But they also say that it takes a looong time before you get full control over it and it since the game wants to hold your hand and walk you through every single detail of it.

Granted I haven't played it yet either, thats just what pretty much all of the reviews are saying. I might still pick it up to try it out because its $15 and the FF games were never all that "open world" to begin with, and the combat does seem fun once you get to the meat of it.

I want to try Valkyria Chronicles too, but I really hate that "anime 13 year old girls in the middle of a war" thing. Games like that make me feel like a creepy lecher.

At the very least I'll be buying Demon's Souls, though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

I want to try Valkyria Chronicles too, but I really hate that "anime 13 year old girls in the middle of a war" thing. Games like that make me feel like a creepy lecher.

Your loss, bub, although none of the main characters are younger than 18 or so, except possibly Isara. Personally I think being able to tear through an enemy platoon with a valley girl, Vyse from Skies of Arcadia and Gay John DiMaggio is part of the charm.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
^^yeah VC was awesome

Honey Badger posted:

I agree, but VC was charming and fun in spite of all the anime. There's nothing in either FF13 or FF13-2 that would make up for hearing a 12 year old's coming of age story or asking your magical time-travelling moogle for help.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Honey Badger posted:

VC is one of the best strategy games on the PS3 and also the absolute most tame and chaste anime game around. Just don't touch the Agarest games or your head will explode or something, those are the actual creepy lecher anime ones.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

The thing that too many people miss with VC because of the anime style is that it is genuinely a really, really good strategy game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Pretty much this. Final Fantasy isn't a game series to get excited over anymore, not enough to pay $60 for at least. Between those complaints and the fact that the combat really has barely changed at all, and the world isn't that much linear than before, it just isn't worth playing.

As I said in the actual thread, I'm really not enjoying FFXIII-2 much, but you're kidding yourself if you think it isn't significantly less linear than the predecessor. In all honesty, it's honestly less linear than a fair number of Final Fantasy games. This isn't always to its benefit but you actually get to choose where to go.

If anything, this is what bothers me about it. The game is insanely unfocused. It's hard to get the drive to do anything because there's no real sense of forward progress, just more poo poo opening up and another fifteen minute cutscene where Serah says the word "Paradox" approximately 9000 times. The gameplay is inarguibly better than the previous game but it's so unfocused that I have a hard time caring.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 6, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The game is insanely unfocused. It's hard to get the drive to do anything because there's no real sense of forward progress, just more poo poo opening up and another fifteen minute cutscene where Serah says the word "Paradox" approximately 9000 times.

I've barely only started with the meat of the game, but right now it feels very Saturday Morning Cartoonish. "Let's go find the artefact! Maybe that cat has it! No? How about that pack of kids! Oh hoh everyone has come together to see us off!" It's not just the specific events - those are pretty par for the course RPG-wise - but something about how they're repeated back to the player. Maybe it's just because it's trying to hand-hold me through the early game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

I've barely only started with the meat of the game, but right now it feels very Saturday Morning Cartoonish. "Let's go find the artefact! Maybe that cat has it! No? How about that pack of kids! Oh hoh everyone has come together to see us off!" It's not just the specific events - those are pretty par for the course RPG-wise - but something about how they're repeated back to the player. Maybe it's just because it's trying to hand-hold me through the early game.

Yeah, this keeps happening. I think part of it is because the game is designed somewhat nonlinearly. They can't assume the audience went to (timezone A) before (timezone B) except in the cases where (timezone A) is unlocked by visiting (timezone B), and so they feel the need to repeat stuff over and over to make sure nobody misses it.

... but then they do that with areas you can only access one way too. It's mind-boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ImpAtom posted:

If anything, this is what bothers me about it. The game is insanely unfocused. It's hard to get the drive to do anything because there's no real sense of forward progress [...]. The gameplay is inarguibly better than the previous game but it's so unfocused that I have a hard time caring.

This is how I've felt about every FF game I've played. I started with VIII and liked it well enough, but never got around to beating it because I stopped caring. I kept trying other ones that I was told were better (VII, IX, VI, IV) to figure out why it was such a popular series, and I still haven't figured it out.

While I can see some of the appeal, none of the games really strike the rigth balance between Too unfocused and Too linear.

• Locked thread