Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SpacePig posted:

This is how I've felt about every FF game I've played. I started with VIII and liked it well enough, but never got around to beating it because I stopped caring. I kept trying other ones that I was told were better (VII, IX, VI, IV) to figure out why it was such a popular series, and I still haven't figured it out.

While I can see some of the appeal, none of the games really strike the rigth balance between Too unfocused and Too linear.
I believe, for me at least, that nostalgia plays a huge role in the popularity of the series. I have great memories of having a new Final Fantasy game release every couple of years as I was growing up - all the way from middle school to college and beyond. I love those memories and wouldn't trade them for anything, but I'm certain I wouldn't be able to stand playing some of the earlier games again. At the very least, their appeal would be significantly mitigated if I were trying them for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can still play Final Fantasy VI and IX. I hope I can still play X, because I really do want to get that HD release when it comes out.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I used to love FFV and usually said it was my favorite game ever, but coming back to it in the last couple years I simply can't stand the boring, repetitive combat. I'm guessing it's just because I was a kid when I played most of the Final Fantasy games so I enjoyed them a lot more, but it's definitely something that hasn't held up over the years for me.

I'm not entirely sure what it was about Final Fantasy that made me like it so much, and maybe a big part of it is from having higher standards and more unique games around nowadays, but I just don't think I could enjoy the old Final Fantasies the same way anymore. I still think FFXII is pretty neat, but I played up through to around the start of Gran Pulse in FFXIII and I just couldn't be bothered to keep playing. I'd have probably preferred if the game just kept me on rails the whole time, given how boring and annoying Gran Pulse turned out to be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy combat is really boring now. Turn based gameplay just isn't interesting at all like it use to be. Which is why I hate 13-2 so much, that and square-enix decided to add insult to injury and put in quick time events. Can they get any less creative? I guess we'll find out when FF13 Versus or whatever its called, finally comes out.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy combat is really boring now. Turn based gameplay just isn't interesting at all like it use to be. Which is why I hate 13-2 so much, that and square-enix decided to add insult to injury and put in quick time events. Can they get any less creative? I guess we'll find out when that other FF game comes out.
Turn-based combat can still be fantastic, if done right. It's just that Final Fantasy hasn't had good turn-based combat in years. Instead, they focus on breaking up visual spectacle with a series of button presses, and heaven forbid any strategy or player control enter the equation since that might require some thought.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Turn-based combat can still be fantastic, if done right. It's just that Final Fantasy hasn't had good turn-based combat in years. Instead, they just try and break up visual spectacle with a series of button presses, and heaven forbid any strategy or player control enter the equation since that might require some thought.

Resonance of Fate has something going, i'm really liking the combat, even though I haven't had the time yet to figure it out. It's not quite turn based or even real time. I have a hard time explaining what it really is, but it's pretty cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpacePig posted:

This is how I've felt about every FF game I've played. I started with VIII and liked it well enough, but never got around to beating it because I stopped caring. I kept trying other ones that I was told were better (VII, IX, VI, IV) to figure out why it was such a popular series, and I still haven't figured it out.

While I can see some of the appeal, none of the games really strike the rigth balance between Too unfocused and Too linear.

The thing is that with the earlier FF games there was a goal. It wasn't always a meaningful goal but "Go here and do this" at least gave you something to shoot for. In FFXIII-2, at least as far as I've gotten, what happens is "welcome to NEW LAND. Where is Lightning? Search for PARADOX, repeat."

Final Fantasy IV or VI or whatever kept giving you small advancements forward, but FFXIII-2 doesn't feel that way. It's just... "Welp, what wacky adventure are we having today?!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy combat is really boring now. Turn based gameplay just isn't interesting at all like it use to be. Which is why I hate 13-2 so much, that and square-enix decided to add insult to injury and put in quick time events. Can they get any less creative? I guess we'll find out when FF13 Versus or whatever its called, finally comes out.

FF Versus 13 doesn't have turn-based gameplay, it has Kingdom Hearts styled action gameplay.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Turn-based combat can still be fantastic, if done right. It's just that Final Fantasy hasn't had good turn-based combat in years. Instead, they focus on breaking up visual spectacle with a series of button presses, and heaven forbid any strategy or player control enter the equation since that might require some thought.

Personally I was a fan of FFX's combat. Being truly turn-based it gave you time to think if you needed it, while being really fast if you knew what you were doing; I adore FFIX, but that game takes 15 seconds to start a battle and 5 seconds to use a basic attack and it makes things drag on. Plus being able to see the turn order was really neat, and gave you better knowledge of the effects of Haste and stuff.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, I really think that FFX was the peak of turn based combat. Being able to actually see the turns ahead of time was very useufl. Maybe it made the game too easy? In any event though, the load times from entering a battle > fighting > exiting was all done pretty hastily to the point where grinding never felt like a hassle. It also helped that there was other abilities to use other than Attack every five seconds.

I am so eager to play the HD version.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

I said come in! posted:

Resonance of Fate [...]

Resonance of Fate, while I never finished it, was honestly the most fun I had with a JRPG (I don't count Valkyria Chronicles since it's an SRPG) since Tales of Symphonia. As incomprehensible as the plot was, and as dumb as some of the missions were (protect this slow-moving statue on rails from weird rocket guys through, like, 9 different rooms), the combat was a lot of fun, and I hope they make another game using that system.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that with the earlier FF games there was a goal. [...]

Yeah, I definitely had more fun with earlier FF games because it was a bit more straightforward with what I needed to do, but the combat got stale after while.

I think some of it, for me at least, might be aesthetics as well. I never played any of the earlier Dragon Quest/Warrior games, but I loved Dragon Quest VIII. It has the same combat that it's apparently had for years, but something about the designs for everything from NPCs to monster to enviroments made it feel like a better game.

I know this isn't Playstation, but it was the same with Earthbound. It was a pretty standard RPG, but it was dressed up in a fun way, so I really enjoyed it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I think some of it, for me at least, might be aesthetics as well. I never played any of the earlier Dragon Quest/Warrior games, but I loved Dragon Quest VIII. It has the same combat that it's apparently had for years, but something about the designs for everything from NPCs to monster to enviroments made it feel like a better game.

Don't forget the accents. As a British person, the game sounded so homely.

True story, DQ8 was the first in the series to be released in Europe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Resonance of Fate, while I never finished it, was honestly the most fun I had with a JRPG (I don't count Valkyria Chronicles since it's an SRPG) since Tales of Symphonia. As incomprehensible as the plot was, and as dumb as some of the missions were (protect this slow-moving statue on rails from weird rocket guys through, like, 9 different rooms), the combat was a lot of fun, and I hope they make another game using that system.

Yeah, I definitely had more fun with earlier FF games because it was a bit more straightforward with what I needed to do, but the combat got stale after while.

I know this isn't Playstation, but it was the same with Earthbound. It was a pretty standard RPG, but it was dressed up in a fun way, so I really enjoyed it.

Resonance of Fate was great. My only real complaint with it is that lower difficulty levels make the combat feel a big "same-y." You don't really learn how to use the system until you've unlocked the harder modes and can't afford to just tank damage.

I get what you mean about the asthetics. Dragon Quest is very much a fairy tale sort of game, which gives in a real charm. The silly names, the lighthearted-but-sometimes-grim tone, the accents in the translation... all of it really feels like a fairy tale.

Final Fantasy tries to do weird techno-organic worlds and really tried to be some other brand of fantasy and it's a lot different. It also takes itself so loving seriously a lot of the time, while Dragon Quest almost never does. The recent Final Fantasy games just can't stop being serious even when they really should be. FFXIII-2 stands out because it tries to be ridiculous but than the main two characters are just so drat serious and bland that it dulls everything.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 6, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I love Dragon Quest VIII so much, it felt like the perfect combination of modern JRPG presentation and classic JRPG gameplay back when it came out. I have the same feelings for Final Fantasy IX too. I'd never gotten into DQ until 8 but I loved the hell out of that game, I even got the strategy guide with it which was super cool because it only told the bare minimum of information with regards to the game's spoilery content. So it was like "here's a map, here's stuff you can find. There's a boss, it's attacks are.."

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I put way, way too much time into DQ8. I was kind of sad that the sequel was only on portables, even though I have a DS and could have played it. I just don't want to spend hours and hours staring at a tiny screen. I loved the mechanics, and the cel shaded stuff was very pleasant to look at.

By the end, I would have enjoyed the ability to play my own music. The soundtrack was perfectly fine, but the sweeping orchestral stuff gets old.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Turn-based combat can still be fantastic, if done right.

Bring back Shadow Hearts.

e: Actually, heck, you know what? Legend of Dragoon Remake. That game deserves another chance to be the HD Fantasy Power Rangers Anime it wanted to be. Bonus points if they keep the old translation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

e: Actually, heck, you know what? Legend of Dragoon Remake. That game deserves another chance to be the HD Fantasy Power Rangers Anime it wanted to be.

The developers aren't really around anymore. They went to work for Mistwalker, which is why Lost Odyssey has Shadow Hearts elements to it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Stelas posted:

Oh man why did you have to remind about that series?

Now I'm going to have to replay Shadow Hearts I&II for the fiftieth time. They really are fantastic games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr Snofeld posted:

Don't forget the accents. As a British person, the game sounded so homely.

True story, DQ8 was the first in the series to be released in Europe.
What's especially weird is that the game didn't HAVE voice acting originally, they added it for the Western localizations. If you asked Japanese they'd be like "a DQ game with voice acting? What the hell are you thinking?"

Anyway I want a new big console SMT game pretty badly, or I suppose Persona is good too. That's my gold standard for turn based RPGs. But they're all portable now...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 6, 2012

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

sentrygun posted:

I'm not entirely sure what it was about Final Fantasy that made me like it so much, and maybe a big part of it is from having higher standards and more unique games around nowadays,

I think this is right. A randomly chosen game from the SNES days had a 50/50 chance of being terrible. Not just in some subjective way, but by literally being broken, or unfinished, or 20 minutes long, etc. FF's, at least as long as I can remember them, were always more polished and just in general more "professionally" done than other titles. If you were buying an FF, you know you at least weren't getting something that was garbage.

This is still true today even. FF13, for all it's faults is extremely well produced and polished, moreso than the average PS3 title I would say. The trouble is that the difference in quality between FF13 and other games like Uncharted or Assassin's Creed is less than the difference between FF6 and that one caveman game that I bought on a whim for the SNES.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Crowbear posted:

Oh man why did you have to remind about that series?

Now I'm going to have to replay Shadow Hearts I&II for the fiftieth time. They really are fantastic games.

Shadow Hearts 2 especially. The ending (both of them) really struck a chord with me. Yuri is one of my favorite characters ever.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
While it was a horrible, horrible excuse for a game, I thought that Enchanted Arms battle system was pretty neat with the attack area.

Like each attack had a specific shape that it would work on in a grid based area, if the enemy happened to move out of that area by the time your attack happened, no hit.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'd love to play both shadow hearts since i missed out back then but I guess spongebob is more of a classic than those two.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does this redeem XIII-2 at all? I honestly can't even tell any more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

At least today's PA is on the topic du jour:
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-t8C4nnx/0/L/i-t8C4nnx-L.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does this redeem XIII-2 at all? I honestly can't even tell any more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

So where in the game does this song come up? It could be amazing or awful, depending on the context.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Troffen posted:

So where in the game does this song come up? It could be amazing or awful, depending on the context.

Apparently it happens when you ride a specific kind of wild chocobo. Not just any chocobo, thankfully.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Urban Achiever posted:

At least today's PA is on the topic du jour:

So did everyone in the world do exactly that? I know I did, god bless you Garrett you wierd cat white mage, you've saved my heiny god knows how many times.

EDIT: Also, i'm really enjoying the episodic nature of the game, and the fact that you can go back and redo things if you missed anything. FFXIII-2 almost shamelessly steals a lot of ideas from FFX-2 in the missions structure, episodic nature and even the plot basically being the same (girl loses sister, goes on adventures through time with an assortment of freaks and uncovers a far more sinister plot, compared to girl loses boyfriend, goes on wild adventure across the lands with an assortment of freaks only to find a far more sinister plot). X-2 will probably end up being the superior article after everything is said and done, but i'm still enjoying this immensely and do not regret this purchase at all, even if it is my last one in a while

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 6, 2012

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
I just want FF games to chill out on the melodrama. I could handle it in VII and VIII because I didn't have to actually listen to them, but dear god the voice acting killed X for me. I want to like that game because it looks nice and seems like it has some really deep combat / character progression, but I couldn't finish it. Hearing those annoying rear end voices through all those cutscenes was too much. I'm also old enough now where the constant "teenage coming-of-age love story" angle is just eye-rolling. I guess when I was younger it was tolerable or I didn't even think about it, but now...ugh.

Honestly, VIII is favorite just because there is so much to do. The combat gets a little stale, but I seriously spent an assload of hours just playing cards, refining them into items and poo poo, upgrading weapons (though there were only like 5 for each person), refining magic, and playing with the junction system, which I loved. I think I had put like 30-ish hours into it before I even hit disc 2.

IX came close and I think it had the best balance of linear / non-linear, but they butchered the card game (which is probably my favorite video game time-killer ever) and the magic / combat system was a lot more shallow. I also didn't much enjoy playing as a hydrocephalic 8-year-old boy with a tail, but eh.

I guess I am just really a sucker for games-within-games and collectibles and playing with stats. I can't stand RPGs that are just killing things, leveling up, finding objectively better gear, and moving forward. Having to make smart choices in character development, class systems, equipment with trade-offs, etc. are all awesome and honestly I don't care much how "open world" it is. FF has never been open world anyways, you get to go to 1 or 2 interesting places and the rest are somehow blocked off until it is plot-convenient to let you in.

Now I just need to find a game with all of that stuff going for it and I'll be set.

And I may have to check out Valkyria Chronicles anyways, even though I hate anime. The first video recommended after I watched some gameplay footage was a FMV of some of the characters bouncing around in bikinis, which was a big red flag, but it sounds like it isn't anything too creepy overall.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ideas?

Honey Badger posted:

And I may have to check out Valkyria Chronicles anyways, even though I hate anime. The first video recommended after I watched some gameplay footage was a FMV of some of the characters bouncing around in bikinis, which was a big red flag, but it sounds like it isn't anything too creepy overall.

That beach crap is an entirely optional thing you have to unlock, so if you don't want to see that stupid stuff then you can just hold off on buying that "mission".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A FF game without teen melodrama wouldn't be FF, seriously. Even in Japan there are lots of complaints about it, and calls to retire the franchise finally, since it is clear that as long as it continues, elements of it like that will never, ever change.

edit: Why is that magazine acting like ANY shooter getting a sequel is any kind of news? Shooters always get sequels.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 6, 2012

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Policenaut posted:

Ideas?

Bulletstorm II
Black II

That's what the image evokes thoughts of anyway.

Edit: I wonder if the scratches on the sides of the bullets signify anything, or if it was just a lazy manipulation job.
Edit2: Looks like Black 2 is confirmed as a working title according to a list of FPS games on Gamespot, don't know how reliable or relevant that information is, though.

Susat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 6, 2012

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
I'm giddy at the idea of a Black 2 :allears:

Please oh please don't be MoH 2

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

This probably isn't it but you can certainly count on there being a sequel to Medal of Honor.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Policenaut posted:

Ideas?

Come on Brink II!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I thought a Medal of Honor sequel was already confirmed. I'm thinking it's either Medal of Honor 2 or Bulletstorm 2/

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Less shooters please. The market is ridiculously over saturated.

In other news, Catherine (hooray Atlus) is getting a digital release at the regular MSRP of $59.99. The Jak collection will also be available digitally too.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Siroc posted:

Come on Brink II!

Fe4r. Come on Fe4r.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
C'mon people! It's obviously Haze II!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Harlock posted:

Less shooters please. The market is ridiculously over saturated.

In other news, Catherine (hooray Atlus) is getting a digital release at the regular MSRP of $59.99. The Jak collection will also be available digitally too.

Good to see Atlus' plan of jacking up the price on everything they release for the PSN is still working for them.

• Locked thread