Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Have more details on this. It must be the A501 because my friend is saying that it's SIM card based and there was no rocket stick.

He's thinking about getting one himself; is there anything out and out wrong with this deal other than the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet?

I talked him around and he got the Galaxy Tab instead; to tell the truth he didn't need much convincing he just had to had to lift them. Thanks for the help guys... now to figure what the hell I'm going to get... I watch a lot of video so I'm thinking the Prime will be better but I can't even think of affording it for quite a while anyway. Luckily they're in stock all over finally in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Just chiming in with my $.02 on the Transformer Prime I received as a late Christmas gift. It has inspired a lot of thought in me about technology and the future. For one, ICS is god damned amazing. The tablet actually ran noticeably faster after the update, which is new to me. The motions required to interact with the OS not only make sense, they come naturally. Visually, there's something about it all that just makes it beautiful. I can't quite pin it down.

The other neat thing is the scaling. I have long hated Apple products for a variety of reasons that will be saved for another post, but I remember lamenting the iPad for being the only tablet that seemed to have it's act together. When the iPad first came out, there weren't really any Android tablets, and even by the release of the iPad 2, the only Android tablets were 7" which is just large enough to be a pain in the rear end to carry around but just small enough to be less useful than a cell phone. Most of them were using an OS that had no intention of ever being placed on a tablet. They were total poo poo, and I just knew I was going to rue the day that I would walk into an Apple store and reluctantly ask for an iPad. The smug douche of an Apple employee that I imagined would grin and offer me AppleCare, and I would just hate it all.

But then I used my parents' iPads. They both bought iPad 2s about a month after it came out. I quickly found that the iPad is almost always nothing more than an iPhone with a magnifying glass over it. There's literally a button to control what level of magnification you'd like. It's pathetic. ICS doesn't have that. There are many apps that weren't designed for use with a tablet, but you'd never know it by the way they're displayed. You can switch between the standard "Stretch View" and the iPad-like "Zoom View" if one works better than the other. I know dick about Android development, but I know that most menus are coded in XML, which might explain why everything scales better.
Apparently this isn't an issue anymore.

All in all, I'm just loving amazed. I'm still not sure exactly where a tablet fits into my lifestyle, but I'm excited to find out.

Also, games on Android are awesome:

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 7, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

But then I used my parents' iPads. They both bought iPad 2s about a month after it came out. I quickly found that the iPad is almost always nothing more than an iPhone with a magnifying glass over it. There's literally a button to control what level of magnification you'd like. It's pathetic.
Almost every app that matters has a universal or iPad-specific version now, so your opinion is pretty skewed by year-old impressions.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I have long hated Apple products for a variety of reasons that will be saved for another post
No one cares.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I just knew I was going to rue the day that I would walk into an Apple store and reluctantly ask for an iPad. The smug douche of an Apple employee that I imagined would grin and offer me AppleCare, and I would just hate it all.
you have something wrong with you.

quote:

Also, games on Android are awesome:

this game is also on the iPad. And to elaborate on the "app magnifying glass", there's now somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of apps for the iPad that are either iPad specific or universal and have their own iPad version. It really is a rare occurrence now that any app ever needs to be scaled. I'm glad you're enjoying your tablet, but your perception of the iPad is way off.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Almost every app that matters has a universal or iPad-specific version now, so your opinion is pretty skewed by year-old impressions.
An any apps that aren't planning to support iPads or are abandoned will look like poo poo forever because the technology isn't there to help with that. The same isn't necessarily true with Android. Pretty much the only apps I've found that don't scale too well are select games that weren't really good looking in the first place.

No one cares.
Well aware, I didn't say that I was going to post any of that soon, but glad you can get off on being a jerk.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

An any apps that aren't planning to support iPads or are abandoned will look like poo poo forever because the technology isn't there to help with that. The same isn't necessarily true with Android. Pretty much the only apps I've found that don't scale too well are select games that weren't really good looking in the first place.

If that looks good to you, then to each their own. :shobon:

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Well aware, I didn't say that I was going to post any of that soon, but glad you can get off on being a jerk.
Please take your angry Apple opinions to YOSPOS.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Almost every app that matters has a universal or iPad-specific version now

Dear Apple fans:

We are not impressed by your ability to buy separate iPad-specific versions of your apps. In the Android ecosystem, every app runs on every form factor, which means we don't have to buy our apps twice.

Love,

The Android Tablet Thread

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Neither do iPad owners. Most apps are universal, meaning they run equally well on both phones and tablets.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

If that looks good to you, then to each their own. :shobon:

Haha, you've got me there. Skype tends to suck on every platform I've ever used it on, though, so I'm not exactly surprised. That said, I guess I should amend my claim to say that they look alright compared to what I had seen on the iPad before. This video seems to demonstrate what I had experienced.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Rastor posted:

Dear Apple fans:

We are not impressed by your ability to buy separate iPad-specific versions of your apps. In the Android ecosystem, every app runs on every form factor, which means we don't have to buy our apps twice.

Love,

The Android Tablet Thread
I can post ill informed comments based on either out dated information or gross exaggeration too:
You're an android user: you never paid for the app in the first place.
OR
You're using android: obviously you aren't impressed by apps.

Pick one.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Plenty of phone apps look like absolute poo poo when I try to run them on my tablet, regardless of what scaling/stretching/whatever I set. If being able to sell it again was what spurred developers into making properly functioning and looking tablet versions of their apps, I'd be fine with paying for that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

zachol posted:

Plenty of phone apps look like absolute poo poo when I try to run them on my tablet, regardless of what scaling/stretching/whatever I set. If being able to sell it again was what spurred developers into making properly functioning and looking tablet versions of their apps, I'd be fine with paying for that.
And I thought the "I don't mind being ripped off, I'm supporting the platform!" thought pattern was only found among deluded BlackBerry fans.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

In my experience as someone who had an Android phone until fairly recently, there are more high quality universal (iPhone and Android) iOS apps than there are decent quality (tablet optimized or not) Android apps total.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Duke posted:

I can post ill informed comments based on either out dated information or gross exaggeration too:
You're an android user: you never paid for the app in the first place.
OR
You're using android: obviously you aren't impressed by apps.

Pick one.

Both, that's ~*~freedom~*~ (something you wouldn't know anything about)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Rastor posted:

And I thought the "I don't mind being ripped off, I'm supporting the platform!" thought pattern was only found among deluded BlackBerry fans.

I don't care about supporting the platform. If I'm going to use an app, I don't want to be distracted by how it looks like poo poo. I'm willing to pay money for it to not look like poo poo. How is this a hard concept to understand?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Neither do iPad owners. Most apps are universal, meaning they run equally well on both phones and tablets.

Not always true

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Not always true

Man i'd hate having to pay that much twice.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

"Apple is great because most apps are universal apps. Some apps you have to buy twice for phone and tablet, but that's also great, because it looks great and I don't mind giving Apple even more of my money! We have always been at war with Eastasia!"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Really?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I have to agree that I wouldn't care about paying twice for an app that was properly formatted. But decent scaling makes it so that an app that was developed in some teenager's basement while high doesn't look like total loving garbage until the end of time.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I have to agree that I wouldn't care about paying twice for an app that was properly formatted. But decent scaling makes it so that an app that was developed in some teenager's basement while high doesn't look like total loving garbage until the end of time.
why would you give a poo poo about an app like that in the first place?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

“lol skype.jpg“ seems slightly better on my Touchpad. Seems they've updated it since then. Phone in landscape for comparison:

Touchpad:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

El Duke posted:

why would you give a poo poo about an app like that in the first place?

Users get attached to all sorts of dumb things. Whole corporations run apps that are completely abandoned and incompatible with software released even just a year or two after development. Things happen.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Touchpad:

That's because the Touchpad is 4:3 so there's not as far to stretch it in landscape mode compared to some other tablets. Skype hasn't done anything.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Rastor posted:

"Apple is great because most apps are universal apps. Some apps you have to buy twice for phone and tablet, but that's also great, because it looks great and I don't mind giving Apple even more of my money! We have always been at war with Eastasia!"

I too hate it when people get paid to put considerable effort into a app designed for tablets instead of just not giving a poo poo about quality instead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Honestly, an app developed in a high teenager's basement is probably going to look like total loving garbage regardless of how it's scaled or what platform it's on.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

All I want is to use a Bluetooth headset Skype, is that too much to ask for? :(

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

nmfree posted:

All I want is to use a Bluetooth headset Skype, is that too much to ask for? :(

Works for me on my evo. I'm wondering if that's a device fragmentation thing.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Scaling doesn't always work, you know. In fact from my experience, scaling is often the worst solution.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I helped my buddy set up the Galaxy tab he got. It's really nice; far easier to handle than my Xoom was and now (unlike last August when I had the Xoom) there's actually working RDP apps! :argh: I'm tempted to jump on this generation now maybe since it seems to do everything on tin now, as opposed to then.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Vagrancy posted:

“lol skype.jpg“ seems slightly better on my Touchpad. Seems they've updated it since then. Phone in landscape for comparison:

Touchpad:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Not always true
Did you just link to an app that has a free iphone-optimized version and a free ipad-optimized version to explain why it's better to have one single app that looks like these sparse and ridiculous-looking skype-on-android-tablet screenshot examples?

What is going on in here? Every one of these skype screenshots looks ridiculous even the ones that people are apparently posting as examples of not looking horrible. I'm so confused :(

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

That's because the Touchpad is 4:3 so there's not as far to stretch it in landscape mode compared to some other tablets. Skype hasn't done anything.

Ah, forgot about that. Probably down to a 16:9 tablet owner to post a screenshot then. At the very least they went out of the way to disable to Stretch/Zoom toggle, so maybe they've tweaked their .xmls since to make the elements bigger.

randyest posted:

What is going on in here? Every one of these skype screenshots looks ridiculous even the ones that people are apparently posting as examples of not looking horrible. I'm so confused :(

I didn't say wasn't horrible, just marginally less horrible. :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vagrancy posted:

Ah, forgot about that. Probably down to a 16:9 tablet owner to post a screenshot then. At the very least they went out of the way to disable to Stretch/Zoom toggle, so maybe they've tweaked their .xmls since to make the elements bigger.

I didn't say wasn't horrible, just marginally less horrible. :v:

Android Tablet Thread: The next one is just marginally less horrible.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Works for me on my evo. I'm wondering if that's a device fragmentation thing.
Since that's the most requested feature for Android on their forums (at least the last time I looked) and it doesn't work on my Transformer I think that might be the case.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At the rate you people are going this thread is going to be force-closed more often than my phone.

Henry Meowlins posted:

Android Tablet Thread: The next one is just marginally less horrible.

Also this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

At the rate you people are going this thread is going to be force-closed more often than my phone.

Also this.

Android tablet thread: force closes more than a kyocera android.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The fact is that Apple devs essentially have 2 resolutions to worry about, while Android? poo poo, who knows, it's at least half a dozen and it's only going to get higher once the rumored "super-res" tablets start hitting. So it's inevitable that Android apps are going to be worse at phone/tablet portability. It's no shock that even major app makers go with the mindset of "eh, not offensively horrible, ship it".

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 7, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So glad we have such a ruthless and efficient iPad defense force in this thread. Gots to keep those uppity Android users in line, God forbid they enjoy the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Something's been bugging me; why the rush to retina displays? I have a 15" Toughbook with a 1900x1200 display and the pixel density is too high. I find myself leaning in and squinting all the time. A 10" or 7" tablet would be miserable.