Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

France has recalled its ambassador to Syria, with more EU countries likely to follow suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Kuwait we had several protesters outside the Syrian embassy (including a newly re-elected Parliament member) a couple of days ago. Yesterday they were outside the Russian embassy for voting no on Syrian intervention, and they're planning on doing the same outside the Chinese embassy. The new parliament is also pushing the government to expel the Syrian ambassador.

FUN FACT: Someone I know insulted the son of the Ambassador once while in Kuwait, 8 years later he went to Syria and was arrested and detained at the airport for "being suspicious". Let out after 4 hours and calls were made.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 7, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Italy is joining France in recalling its ambassador to Syria, no doubt more will join them.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Just a question, why are countries pulling out their ambassadors now, after the conflict has been going for a year? You'd think they would have done it sooner.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThePutty posted:

Just a question, why are countries pulling out their ambassadors now, after the conflict has been going for a year? You'd think they would have done it sooner.

Probably in response to the UN officially voting to do nothing

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AJE is reporting that the Turkish Foreign Minister will be travelling to the US tomorrow to discuss Syria.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
It's a message to Syria, Russia and China. It's also a message to the international community and the Syrian people that says "We are still behind the Syrian people."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

ThePutty posted:

The US pulled its whole embassy out because of the security situation (the embassy is very old and literally situated along the road), then Britian followed by pulling its ambassador out. Now everyone else is doing so to diplomatically isolate Syria and to send a message.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
And so it goes...

quote:

According to the Reuters news agency, the six-member Gulf Cooperation Coucil announced on Tuesday that they would be recalling their ambassadors from Syria.

"The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, current head of the council, announces that the GCC states have decided to withdraw all theirambassadors from Syria and also demand that all ambassadors of the Syrian regime in its lands leave immediately," said a statement issued by the Council.

The six-member Council includes Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, which has also received international criticism for its crackdown on protests against the ruling al-Khalifa family that began last year.

Turkey continues to call Russia and China out:

quote:

Speaking at party headquarters in Ankara, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish prime minister called the situation in Syria test of the world's "sincerity".

"Those turning a blind eye to what's going on and those not reacting the way they should will suffer the consequences as if they were fuelling the bloodshed themselves," he said.

The Turkish prime minister went on to criticise the five day military-led assault on the city of Homs, comparing it to the 1982 Hama massacre in which 17,000 - 40,000 Syrians are said to have died.

"No-one has been called to account for the Hama massacre - but you can be sure it will be asked for Homs sooner or later," said Erdogan on Tuesday.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Just because the Maldives got mentioned, I must link to this amazing photograph of Malé, its capital. It's like this beautiful urban zit exploding from the sea.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
edit: never mind the tertiary continuation of that line of conversation...

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 7, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Update from Syria

quote:

Russia 'wants Arab League role'

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has called for a solution to the crisis in Syria based on initiatives put forward by the Arab League.

Visiting Syria, Mr Lavrov said Damascus was ready for a larger Arab mission to monitor peace efforts, and would set a date for a constitutional referendum.

His visit comes after Russia and China vetoed a UN resolution. Gulf states say they are expelling Syria's ambassadors.

Government forces are continuing a fierce assault on rebels in Homs.

The BBC's Paul Wood - one of the only foreign reporters in Homs - says the Syrian army resumed mortar attacks and heavy machine-gun fire after daybreak.

He says Russian-made tanks have been seen close to the city centre, but these is no sign so far of the ground assault feared by many residents.

I can't help but think that the opposition will just see this as stalling tactics, and reject any offer that doesn't have Assad leaving power right away.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's situations like this where I see a renewed cold war, only 50 years in the future, it will be China taking the lead in opposing the US at the security council, while Russia takes China's customary secondary role.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Four Days of Death in December, a documentary on the street violence that took place in December in Egypt. Has some very brutal imagery of beatings and shootings.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Good Telegraph piece on why Syria is a horrible nightmare with no good solutions

quote:

If anyone tells you there's an easy fix to the crisis in Syria, they're lying

The acute dilemmas facing Western governments over Syria illustrate how foreign policy can often be the art of the impossible. The essential problem is that Britain and her allies have two incompatible objectives: they want to hasten the downfall of President Assad, while also bringing the country’s bloodshed to an end. You can't do both at the same time.

Accelerating the end of a regime as ruthless as Syria’s will inevitably entail more violence. If you choose this option, you are effectively placing Assad’s political demise ahead of the need for peace.

The case for the defence will be that removing the regime is the crucial precondition for restoring stability in Syria. Assad’s presence in office is the chief cause of the violence, so if you care about peace, he has to go. But there are two problems with this argument: 1) getting rid of Assad will probably involve a protracted and bloody struggle and 2) there is no guarantee that harmony will break out when he finally departs.

On the contrary, Syria is a country fractured by ethnic and religious rivalry. Assad’s successor will almost certainly be a Sunni, reflecting the faith of some 70 per cent of the population. But how will a new, Sunni-led regime treat the Alawite and Christian minorities? Assad, an Alawite, leads a regime that effectively constitutes an alliance of Syria’s minorities. How will they fare if and when power transfers to the majority? An enlightened, moderate leader could emerge, dedicated to cause of uniting Syria and achieving national reconciliation. But equally likely is that reprisals will be exacted against the minorities, leading to a lengthy civil war as endured by neighbouring Lebanon.

If we end up supporting the rebels against Assad, the danger is that we inflame a civil war that could escalate into a Lebanon-style conflagration that lasts for generation. If we don’t, Assad and his enemies will continue to slug it out, each strong enough to survive, but lacking the ability to achieve total victory over the other. Either option points to a long and bloody struggle.

What could break the deadlock? Recent events in the Security Council have effectively foreclosed two possibilities: outside military intervention, or a negotiated settlement leading to Assad’s dignified departure. What else might happen? A popular uprising in Damascus could sweep Assad away, or a palace coup might cause his downfall behind the scenes.

The latter two possibilities would at least avoid a long struggle, but neither can be delivered by Western governments. So this is the thorniest of diplomatic problems – and I don’t pretend to offer any answers. What would you do?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I'm glad that Turkey seems to be adamant about a hard, ethical stance towards the atrocities occurring in Syria, but at the same time I'm disappointed that they won't clear the air on the Armenian genocide. It smacks a bit hypocritical to me. It's an issue I am willing to leave alone for now considering the Syria thing is right now, and there are lives to be saved, but nevertheless.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
what exactly does russia gain by being so adamant about keeping Assad in power? i mean, yeah, they've got some sweet defense deals, but so did THE WEST re: Mubarak and after a while they just went "oh well, we'll deal with the new guys i guess". obvious distances between both cases notwithstanding, is there a reason in particular that makes it absolutely imperative for moscow to keep Assad? i mean i honestly doubt it's just a pissing match. does syria really possess such geopolitical strategic value, or is it mainly to keep Iran's Best Buddies intact?

5er posted:

I'm glad that Turkey seems to be adamant about a hard, ethical stance towards the atrocities occurring in Syria, but at the same time I'm disappointed that they won't clear the air on the Armenian genocide. It smacks a bit hypocritical to me. It's an issue I am willing to leave alone for now considering the Syria thing is right now, and there are lives to be saved, but nevertheless.

yeah i'm really distrustful of turkey donning the banner of "Great Islamic Champion Of Liberty, Democracy And Human Rights", but so far their posture towards the Arab Spring has been... mostly decent? i mean, it sorta reeks of the insincerity of a regional power eager to show it, too, can roll with the big dogs, but can't seem to find anything particularly objectionable about their position (other than the fact they were best buds with many of the leaders in question before they fell out of international favor). correct me if i'm wrong tho, wouldn't want to fall victim of these TURKISH TRICKS

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SexyBlindfold posted:

what exactly does russia gain by being so adamant about keeping Assad in power? i mean, yeah, they've got some sweet defense deals, but so did THE WEST re: Mubarak and after a while they just went "oh well, we'll deal with the new guys i guess". obvious distances between both cases notwithstanding, is there a reason in particular that makes it absolutely imperative for moscow to keep Assad? i mean i honestly doubt it's just a pissing match. does syria really possess such geopolitical strategic value, or is it mainly to keep Iran's Best Buddies intact?

The Russians have a naval base in Syria. For their totally AWESOME navy. :laugh:

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Concerning the reason 'The West' backed the popular uprisings in places like Tunisia and Egypt and why Russia is standing strong with their buddy Assad is incredibly complex and unique to each situation.

For example, in Bahrain. We supported Egypt, but not Bahrain for political reasons, despite the uprising being that calling for democratic reform. Bahrain not only hosts the US 5th(?) Naval fleet that gives us incredible strength in the Arab Gulf - a place of contention with Iran at the moment. But it's also a very close ally with Saudi Arabia, as evidence when SA sent troops and armor into Bahrain to assist in quelling the uprising. Saudi Arabia is deathly afraid that Iran will get a foothold across the gulf of Oman onto the peninsula.

Egypt was sort of a Push. We had an ally in Mubarak, but the US is almost always in favor of democratic reform. There was also no stopping Egypt's revolution.

Syria's relationship with Russia is much more dire. Russia would be taking a double hit in that they'll lose their ally in Assad, look bad for supporting him for so long, and the country will likely reform into a democratic system.

Of course, this is a very watered down explanation of an infinitely complex situation, but I think it gives an adequate answer, I hope.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SexyBlindfold posted:

what exactly does russia gain by being so adamant about keeping Assad in power?

I can only imagine, stability. Not pretty, but maybe they imagine it is better to keep the known (however horrible) entity, than face the additional uncertainty in the region.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Their only port in the region is in Syria. They don't care about Assad, Syria itself or its people. The Russians just want a presence in the region and they don't think any UN-backed post-Assad goverment will let them stay there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Their only port in the region is in Syria. They don't care about Assad, Syria itself or its people. The Russians just want a presence in the region and they don't think any UN-backed post-Assad goverment will let them stay there.

Certainly they will not now, anyways.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Russia is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm sure they've been following events closely and when the Syria uprising began they thought it wasn't going anywhere and probably said "Meh, just shoot a few protesters and be done with it". Now Syria has, but because they probably authorised Assad to use the methods he has, because lets face it their own conduct in recent years isn't any better, they can't back down and condemn him now for the same reason China doesn't want to abandon North Korea.

If Russia stabbed Assad in the back they wouldn't have been able to excert any infuence in the region because they'd be seen as a bad ally. But because they didn't and the situation is so out of hand now they're going to lose the port anyway and they know it, but they're not willing to lose face to potential allies so they're protecting Assad for as long as possible to make sure they will still be able to negotiate deals in the future.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

5er posted:

I don't know, Turkey's stance seems to be saying "We really think you should stop doing this or else" over and over without taking any concrete action.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Xandu posted:

I don't know, Turkey's stance seems to be saying "We really think you should stop doing this or else" over and over without taking any concrete action.

Hosting and aiding armed rebels is pretty concrete to me, though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

az jan jananam posted:

Hosting and aiding armed rebels is pretty concrete to me, though.

Rebels don't just magically arm themselves either.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Is Turkey arming them? I have my doubts. They're hosting the SNC officials, but other than the refugee camps (which are admittedly a very good thing), it's not as though the FSA is based out of Turkey.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/07/us-egypt-usa-idUSTRE8161F420120207

Egypt will likely back off the NGO dispute, because of the billions in aid at stake.

http://www.arabist.net/blog/2012/2/7/i-hold-these-facts-about-mb-and-scaf-to-be-self-evident.html

Some good points about the MB and SCAF.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
I'd imagine the opposition is able to acquire arms through illegal smuggling but I doubt they have any readily available access to weapons.

Also the arms industry is one of the remaining things keeping Russia's economy going right now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Xandu posted:

Is Turkey arming them? I have my doubts. They're hosting the SNC officials, but other than the refugee camps (which are admittedly a very good thing), it's not as though the FSA is based out of Turkey.

They ended up heavily armed very, very quickly.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'd dispute calling them heavily armed. I've seen occasional reports of captured tanks, but by most accounts they only have small arms, which can easily be obtained by defected soldiers, from looting from encounters with the Syrian Army, and smuggling from Lebanon, whose Sunni population is sympathetic to the revolution. They appear to be heavily outgunned in all respects.

For example

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/07/syrian-homs-siege-genocidal-say-residents?newsfeed=true posted:

Activists said the opposition fighters from the Free Syrian Army (FSA) were no match for their well-armed government adversaries, equipped with tanks, fighter planes, and Russian heavy weapons. "The soldiers who defected from the army only have Kalashnikovs. How can you face a battalion with a Kalashnikov?" Sufian asked. "Tanks have been captured, but they were very exposed, and the regime could easily target them. It's a target you cannot hide."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nasrallah gave a speech.

http://nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=362037 posted:

- Concerning the Syrian situation. Our position is based on a vision, and if anyone wants to address this issue with us, they must address it logically and not by appealing to our emotions.

- Let us talk logically based on the nation’s interests. Do not intimidate us.

- Some media reports [quote Syrian opposition figures as saying] that Hezbollah is shelling [Syria’s] Zabadani with Katyusha rockets. The day after, they reported that Hezbollah members’ bodies were found in [the Syrian streets.] Where are these bodies?

- This is an example of how [some] media [outlets] work.

- Let us look at the big picture, at what is right and what is wrong, and [act] accordingly.

- The reality in Syria is that there is a regime which is still standing. The army supports this regime. The media says [that a number of soldiers have] defected. According to what I know, there have been few desertions. The army is still supporting the regime. Some Syrians protest and show their support for the regime.

- I [read in a] Lebanese newspaper that a Lebanese party, active in the cabinet, [sent people] to demonstrate in support of the Syrian regime. The daily meant us, Hezbollah. [So] buses carried people [from Lebanon] to Syria and no one saw them but this daily.

- There is a US, Israeli, Western and moderate Arab countries’ decision to overthrow the Syrian regime. Why is that? Is it for democracy and human rights? Do all these countries enjoy democracy?

- Some ask us why are we against overthrowing the regime in Syria. They told us [behind closed doors] that we [need not fear the fall of the Syrian regime], and they would ask why are we getting involved in this. We are not involved in this, we are in harmony with ourselves.

- What is desired is an end to the Resistance in Lebanon and Palestine.

- The [Syrian] regime has said it is ready to implement reform, and many [reforms] are ready for implementation.

- Syria is being pushed into a civil war. Those concerned about Syria’s future do not call for dialogue [and then put] conditions on it.

- Those concerned about Syria should engage in dialogue.

edit: Oops, speech was/is still happening, I'll keep editing in the rest of it.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 7, 2012

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Xandu posted:

I'd dispute calling them heavily armed. I've seen occasional reports of captured tanks, but by most accounts they only have small arms, which can easily be obtained by defected soldiers, from looting from encounters with the Syrian Army, and smuggling from Lebanon, whose Sunni population is sympathetic to the revolution. They appear to be heavily outgunned in all respects.

For example

I'm not saying that they are better armed than the Syrian government, just that they are very well armed (from the pictures and video I've seen) for a hastily put together army. Most insurrections struggle to put a gun with more than a magazine or two of ammunition in the hands of half of their followers/fighters, even with foreign support.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh Nasrallah you really could have done better with this.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

The-Mole posted:

I'm not saying that they are better armed than the Syrian government, just that they are very well armed (from the pictures and video I've seen) for a hastily put together army. Most insurrections struggle to put a gun with more than a magazine or two of ammunition in the hands of half of their followers/fighters, even with foreign support.

well i haven't seen enough material to give an opinion on exactly how well-armed the rebels are, but i'd point out that in the syrian case the soldiers actually have political/social motives for switching sides other than just "not wanting to kill civilians", so i'd assume the proportion of the rebel army comprised of defected military would be larger than in libya, for example.

there could be a million other factors though so it's a pretty wild guess.

J33uk posted:

Oh Nasrallah you really could have done better with this.

this isn't meant to be a diss on middle eastern political leaders but i've noticed that for some reason most of their speeches take the form of "well some people are saying everything is on fire but i don't think so!!"

also: what exactly is hezbollah's position on syria? i mean i know assad's regime serves as a vehicle for iran's support of the group and hezbollah in general terms is p. cozy qith the syrian regime, but what exactly is their position on the syrian aspirations regarding lebanon? i mean, it's not as if assad's secular regime supports hezbollah out of sincere concern for their shi'a brethren as much as for the idea of de-estabilizing and proxy-bombing their way into Greater Syria

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 7, 2012

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
After doing a little research on Hezbollah's history (I wont deny I know very little of the Palestinian/Israeli conflict), his 'support' of the Syrian government seems more like reluctant support. Syria and Iran have had long standing political and military assistance toward's Hezbollah's ambitions fighting Israel as their common Jewish enemy. Instead, Syria is fighting it's own people.

Reluctant support in the way like if you found out your best friend abuses his girlfriend. He's still your friend, but man, that's hosed up - you should really cut that poo poo out.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

this isn't meant to be a diss on middle eastern political leaders but i've noticed that for some reason most of their speeches take the form of "well some people are saying everything is on fire but i don't think so!!"

also: what exactly is hezbollah's position on syria? i mean i know assad's regime serves as a vehicle for iran's support of the group and hezbollah in general terms is p. cozy qith the syrian regime, but what exactly is their position on the syrian aspirations regarding lebanon? i mean, it's not as if assad's secular regime supports hezbollah out of sincere concern for their shi'a brethren as much as for the idea of de-estabilizing and proxy-bombing their way into Greater Syria

It's complicated, but let's just put it this way. When some people were protesting against Syria's presence in Lebanon in 2005 (they had been occupying the country since 1990), Hezballah helped to organize a very large counterprotest in favor of Syria.

edit: Syria's importance to Hezballah has dropped a lot since 2005, and Iran is now their key ally and financier, so Hezballah's loyalty to Syria isn't absolute, but it's strong enough that they still hasn't dropped their support for the regime.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Sivias posted:

After doing a little research on Hezbollah's history (I wont deny I know very little of the Palestinian/Israeli conflict), his 'support' of the Syrian government seems more like reluctant support. Syria and Iran have had long standing political and military assistance toward's Hezbollah's ambitions fighting Israel as their common Jewish enemy. Instead, Syria is fighting it's own people.

Reluctant support in the way like if you found out your best friend abuses his girlfriend. He's still your friend, but man, that's hosed up - you should really cut that poo poo out.

It's not that anyone wants to support a regime like Assad's, it's just that Hezbollah are insufferable realists, and this is the face of realpolitik.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
also re: syria, i don't think i've seen any mention about the situation of non-allawi shi'as. are they kind of in the fence, or do they side with the regime for pretty much the same reasons that the allawis and christians do? (i.e. fear of sunni hegemony)

or, like, does "allawi" work as kind of a catch-all term for "shi'a" in syria? i'm just saying because the rebel's position is always presented as specifically anti-allawi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

No, it's not a catchall term, there's just not that many other Shias in Syria. The non-Alawi Shia are Ismailis and they're also pretty connected to the government from what I understand.

• Locked thread